RoA Speed CCAT - [DONE]

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Step 2: Playstyle & Starting Pokemon

Okay tallying the votes~~

DPP OU: 6
RBY OU: 1
GSC OU: 4
ADV OU: 12
DPP UU: 6

Once again we'll be doing ADV OU for RoA CCaT! Onto step 2!

Here's how Step 2 is going to work~

1. You may submit 1 Pokemon or a core of 2 Pokemon with their set(s).
  2. Choose a playstyle that goes along with the Pokemon you have submitted.
Things to note~!

• The Pokemon you submit do not have to be in the lead position~
  • You should submit either underrated or uncommon sets as long as they're not gimmicky.
  • You're highly encouraged to discuss sets posted ^_^
  • Sprites will be visually helpful! :)
Example post:

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SAtk / 176 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 80 Spd / 76 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Punch / Ice Punch
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Playstyle: Offense

Explanation etc~

This round will last ~48hours. After which, voting will begin! Thanks! ^_^

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, hmm, so if nobody is take his chance, I'll try something :

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Overgrow
92 HP / 248 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Leaf Blade
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Okay, this is one of the things I always wanted to try in ADV. I mean, on paper, it looks great and I think that it could be a great start.
First, Sceptile can be an annoyer forcing Celebi or Zapdos to come and dealing some damages to them. Obviously for Zapdos, this won't be a lot, but since Sceptile's sub can take (sometimes with those EVs) uninvested Tbolts, you can force Zapdos to Roar while seeded, and then, heal up one of your pokemons or setting-up in order to put an endless pressure.
It works even better in late game, if Spikes are there, because obviously Leech Seed will act like some pseudo-phazing move.

Sceptile is annoying to wall in fact, because classic special walls are crippled badly by Leech Seed bar Zapdos. Dragons wall this set but won't like being Seeded.
Why this thing over Celebi ? Well, obviously only for the speed, but given the nature of the set, being able to outspeed to whole metagame, is quite an ADVantage.
And he's cooler, I'm getting tired of Celebi.

I'm not saying that it's the best pokemon ever, because it has probably one of the tiniest usable niche in ADV, however I believe that it is possible to build an interesting team on it. Possible team mates would be pokemons able to come recklessly on RestTalk Zapdos and force it out, which isn't hard to find, and a Spiker (I'm thinking about Cloyster at the moment, with the Grass/Water synergy).

Well, that was the first step, let's see the other sets ^.^

EDIT : I totally forgot the playstyle, damn :\
So, I' was thinking about some kind of semi-stall team, with a strong defensive core (let's say 4 pokemons) and a lil offensive core to go along with it.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there nice set Remedy! :) if you can also add in the playstyle to go along with it, that would be great! Thanks! ^_^

I'll take a shot at this.

Breloom (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Alright so Breloom seems to be a strong contender in today's meta. Many teams right now don't really have a Fighting Resists aside from Celebi (maybe zapdos but yeah). Breloom can easily net a kill on unprepared teams and functions really well against Adamant Tyranitar which really helps. SporePunch combo is really good now as games go on in cycles and the ability to neutralize a Pokemon for a time can stop that endless cycle (RestTalkers are still not too uncommon though). Also, here we have a great lure to Celebi in the form of HP Bug. This mon dies to any flying type (in particular zapdos) but in the end, nothing wants to take a focus punch.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Moltres @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 SpA
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

The idea here is to get Metagross to blow up on those pesky Waters (particularly Swampert) to allow Moltres to sweep (or, alternatively, to get Moltres to smash an unexpecting Water with SunnyBoosted Fire Blast to make Metagross' life easier). Metagross' set is designed more to keep other Steels away and to lure Waters than anything else. Moltres runs HP Ice mostly to surprise Mence and Aero trying to switch in on it since Metagross has its back on the Swampert front. There are a couple of problems with this core, for example Houndoom, FatLax, Ttar, and Bliss can all make life difficult. However, that's nothing a couple extra teammates (there's a mole I have in mind for most of these) can't help out with.

Just a comment about Breloom: I have faced a HP [bug] Breloom before (the opponent was not you) and it got my Celebi good! Not sure if I`m a fan of it. If anything, I believe we should change Brick Break to Substitute if we want to build a team around him. Not only will it secure that Breloom don`t show of his surprise to the wrong Pokemon, but it can also be golden against fast Celebi.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Just a quick comment - on Moltres, you can run Wisp instead of HP Ice and that's pretty good too - beats non-Rest Laxen, cripples Tars, and still makes Aero's and Mence's life hard. Works well with the stalling element of Morning Sun too.

Lavos

Banned deucer.

WHISKERS (Swampert) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Endeavor

disclaimer: NOT MY SET. absolute monster that almost always gets 2+ kills. sub down on something that can't handle swampert's strength and then prepare to go beastmode. once salac berry is activated you'll be able to endeavor all over your opponent to put things into ohko range for torrent boosted surf or coverage ice beam. pert's max speed is 240 meaning even with salac activated you'll still be slower than max speed raikou, starmie, dugtrio, aerodactyl, and jolteon, but if your opponent lacks any one of these 5 pokemon you can expect an easy 2 kills with whiskers, 3 if your opponent is unprepared for the set or doesn't know how to handle it. really threatening offensive weapon that can open up some holes for other late-game sweepers!

playstyle: offense

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender

- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Endeavor

disclaimer: NOT MY SET. absolute monster that almost always gets 2+ kills. sub down on something that can't handle swampert's strength and then prepare to go beastmode. once salac berry is activated you'll be able to endeavor all over your opponent to put things into ohko range for torrent boosted surf or coverage ice beam. pert's max speed is 240 meaning even with salac activated you'll still be slower than max speed raikou, starmie, dugtrio, aerodactyl, and jolteon, but if your opponent lacks any one of these 5 pokemon you can expect an easy 2 kills with whiskers, 3 if your opponent is unprepared for the set or doesn't know how to handle it. really threatening offensive weapon that can open up some holes for other late-game sweepers!

Unless vs recover celebi/starmie/blissey. Then the number is 0, unless luck

Lavos

Banned deucer.
if by "luck" you are referring to the approximately 82.5 percent chance that you'll get 1 freeze out of 16 ice beams, then yes, you would have to rely on "luck"...

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Those pokemons being weak to Freeze indeed. It's also not really useful against Giga Drain Gengar. I doubt people will let you win 16 Coin flips in a row, you could calculate it too I guess :p (without making mistakes here).
Out of that, can be a devastating set.. or a total waste of a team slot so I'm not totally sure yet. Moreover, it does force us to run Sand in my opinion, at least to use the set to its full potential.

Maybe you should add Tyranitar to your proposal ?

Oh, and I like Moltres, couldn't find a really convincing set when I made my own research, but this pokemon seems truely interesting in ADV.

Just a comment about Breloom: I have faced a HP [bug] Breloom before (the opponent was not you) and it got my Celebi good! Not sure if I`m a fan of it. If anything, I believe we should change Brick Break to Substitute if we want to build a team around him. Not only will it secure that Breloom don`t show of his surprise to the wrong Pokemon, but it can also be golden against fast Celebi.
Yeah that actually makes sense. We don't want to accidentally lose a mon that we have our team based around. will edit in a flash

sandshrewz

POTATO
I'm not feeling well today to use the computer today to start the voting round so I'm extending this step by ~a day. Sorry for the inconvenience! >_>

sandshrewz

POTATO
Step 2: Playstyle & Starting Pokemon Voting

Sorry for the delay! Let's begin with the voting!

Okay, hmm, so if nobody is take his chance, I'll try something :

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Overgrow
92 HP / 248 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Leaf Blade
- Hidden Power [Fire]

playstyle: semi-stall

Okay, this is one of the things I always wanted to try in ADV. I mean, on paper, it looks great and I think that it could be a great start.
First, Sceptile can be an annoyer forcing Celebi or Zapdos to come and dealing some damages to them. Obviously for Zapdos, this won't be a lot, but since Sceptile's sub can take (sometimes with those EVs) uninvested Tbolts, you can force Zapdos to Roar while seeded, and then, heal up one of your pokemons or setting-up in order to put an endless pressure.
It works even better in late game, if Spikes are there, because obviously Leech Seed will act like some pseudo-phazing move.

Sceptile is annoying to wall in fact, because classic special walls are crippled badly by Leech Seed bar Zapdos. Dragons wall this set but won't like being Seeded.
Why this thing over Celebi ? Well, obviously only for the speed, but given the nature of the set, being able to outspeed to whole metagame, is quite an ADVantage.
And he's cooler, I'm getting tired of Celebi.

I'm not saying that it's the best pokemon ever, because it has probably one of the tiniest usable niche in ADV, however I believe that it is possible to build an interesting team on it. Possible team mates would be pokemons able to come recklessly on RestTalk Zapdos and force it out, which isn't hard to find, and a Spiker (I'm thinking about Cloyster at the moment, with the Grass/Water synergy).

Well, that was the first step, let's see the other sets ^.^

EDIT : I totally forgot the playstyle, damn :\
So, I' was thinking about some kind of semi-stall team, with a strong defensive core (let's say 4 pokemons) and a lil offensive core to go along with it.
I'll take a shot at this.

Breloom (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Alright so Breloom seems to be a strong contender in today's meta. Many teams right now don't really have a Fighting Resists aside from Celebi (maybe zapdos but yeah). Breloom can easily net a kill on unprepared teams and functions really well against Adamant Tyranitar which really helps. SporePunch combo is really good now as games go on in cycles and the ability to neutralize a Pokemon for a time can stop that endless cycle (RestTalkers are still not too uncommon though). Also, here we have a great lure to Celebi in the form of HP Bug. This mon dies to any flying type (in particular zapdos) but in the end, nothing wants to take a focus punch.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 SpA
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

The idea here is to get Metagross to blow up on those pesky Waters (particularly Swampert) to allow Moltres to sweep (or, alternatively, to get Moltres to smash an unexpecting Water with SunnyBoosted Fire Blast to make Metagross' life easier). Metagross' set is designed more to keep other Steels away and to lure Waters than anything else. Moltres runs HP Ice mostly to surprise Mence and Aero trying to switch in on it since Metagross has its back on the Swampert front. There are a couple of problems with this core, for example Houndoom, FatLax, Ttar, and Bliss can all make life difficult. However, that's nothing a couple extra teammates (there's a mole I have in mind for most of these) can't help out with.

- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Endeavor

Vote for :
Remedy
The Unlucky One
Jorgen
Lavos Spawn

The voting will last ~24 hours

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Remedy

A fast Sub Seeder is very effective and annoying in ADV. Plus I'm tired of the Offense orientation. Call it Gen 5 OU fatigue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)