RoA Speed CCAT - [DONE]

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I like Sir's suggestions. Also the lead probably shouldn't be Moltres, perhaps Metagross would work best?

I like Sir's suggestions. Also the lead probably shouldn't be Moltres, perhaps Metagross would work best?
Metagross would be great. Pokemon such as Forretress, Skarmory and Cloyster who start in the lead position would be punished by Hidden Power and Psychic.

I like Pory too.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Step 5b: Moltres Move Replacement Voting

Okay adding Sir's P2!!

Moltres @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun
>Will-O-Wisp somewhere

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 SpA
Brave Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Explosion
- Hypnosis

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Atk / 40 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly or Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 128 Def / 140 Spd
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Time to decide which move to replace on Moltres
Replace Hidden Power Ice
Replace Sunny Day

Replace Morning Sun
Meanwhile, continue to discuss the lead since there's no consensus at it :O! The voting will last ~24 concurrent with lead discussion.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Morning Sun

Lead: Metagross

Maybe even HP Grass > HP Ice to hit waters and Tyranitar on the switch in case Metagross/Dug struggle to do their jobs (for Metagross in particular, maybe they predict the bomb and switch that Suicune out, or Substitute shenanigans happen, or that Milotic hits us with Hypno) and, in general, to make support between Moltres and its teammates less of a one-way street. Of course, then the Mence and (to a lesser extent) Aero problems are magnified a bit by Moltres's inability to outright smash them, but at least WoW is guaranteed to ruin them (if it hits), whereas for most bulky waters it's more of an inconvenience than a wrecker.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Step 6: Final Adjustments

Not a lot of votes but let's move on~

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 SpA
Brave Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sunny Day
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Explosion
- Hypnosis

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Atk / 40 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly or Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 128 Def / 140 Spd
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

The final touches to the team?? Suggest fine tuning if there's a need to :)! After this, we're (nearly) done!

Metagross lead is free spikes, which is terrible for a spinner-less team, so lead with Gengar as Sir suggested. With some spikes up, Salamence/Aerodactyl/etc. can easily break through Porygon2. Also lead Suicune can be dangerous (both offensive CM and especially CM roar), so you really don't want to be put into a situation where you either give it a free CM or explode blindly.
Opposing Roar Zapdos may also prove troublesome. You would probably need a well-timed explosion to take it down.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
Isn't the plan against Suicune to either blow up on it or set up CMs with Celebi? I feel like with this team, we're inevitably going to have to deal with Suicune a bit more offensively than normal if we're going to be able to preserve our offensive core.

Gengar always has a chance to survive a Jolly RS at full health regardless (Adamant is a different story), and I think we'd need to pump too many EVs away from offenses if we're to guarantee survivial, especially since there's still the flinch chance that could screw us over.

Personally, I feel that Moltres should not have HP Ice as I first suggested, but instead should have Hidden Power Grass. I touched on this briefly before, but basically, it makes Moltres less support-dependent and, in fact, allows it to bait and cripple some of its common switch-ins so that Metagross doesn't have to Explode on them.

I feel that using Toxic > Will-O-Wisp accomplishes the same thing as what you're suggesting. We really don't have a great switch into Suicune. CM Roar destroys us but CM Roar admittedly destroys a lot of things. Even if we go to +6 with Celebi as Suicune boosts up with us what are we passing to? None of our receivers are actually doing much to Suicune. In the few games I've played, even though I haven't played very many games, the only way to deal with Suicune effectively is to boom on it.

Now, onto using Toxic > Will-O-Wisp. I haven't made the change yet but it sounds near perfect on paper. Moltres has problems with Water-types, Snorlax, and Blissey. With the exception of Suicune since Suicune can CM against Moltres, landing a Toxic on say a Swampert or a Milotic is very helpful toward a Moltres sweep, especially if we can pass it a CM. Against Snorlax we have to do a little scouting first. If it's Immunity Lax then we do a ton of damage to it with a Fire Blast in the sun. If it's Thick Fat then we can wear it down with Toxic. Forcing Snorlax to Rest prematurely makes luring it with Gengar much easier. Blissey really isn't a huge problem. We have Dugtrio and Gengar; the latter is a very good lure for Blissey. Also, I was playing a game yesterday where I passed a CM to Moltres and I got the sun up as my opponent switched to Blissey. Fire Blast was nearly a 2HKO. I'm sure Fire Blast will 2HKO Calm Mind Blissey since my opponent was using what seemed to be a very bulky Blissey since its Ice Beam did nothing to my Dugtrio. Landing a Toxic on the switch while the sun is up makes life very difficult for Blissey. Finally, Toxic means that we have to rely less on Metagross for booming on Water-types. I think this team is good but we need to figure out a way around this Suicune weakness, IMO.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
This team is pretty fast-paced, though. Do we really have time to wait for Toxic to whittle down its targets? I guess that's what testing is for.

I think we can. I had a long game versus a good player yesterday. The only way this team can survive for a long time is to prevent Spikes from coming down. That's why lead Gengar is necessary.

sandshrewz

POTATO
I'm probably going to rely on some consensus here before we can call this done. Unless we get like 2 different but also good options then we vote ~ :)

can we get some extra time? i've been testing different versions of this team and idk which one is better O_O

Toxic > Sunny Day
Rest > Morning Sun
Using Rest on Moltres definitely would do the team more slow-paced than it should be, and I think that is not a good option. Anyways, Moltres hasn't Morning Sun in the current version and Sunny Day is pretty valuable.

I've tested the team and I agree on leading with Gengar instead of Metagross.

Against Snorlax we have to do a little scouting first. If it's Immunity Lax then we do a ton of damage to it with a Fire Blast in the sun. If it's Thick Fat then we can wear it down with Toxic. Forcing Snorlax to Rest prematurely makes luring it with Gengar much easier.
CurseLax still is a huge threat. After a single Curse, Explosion does around 40% and that's not enough.

So here's the version of the team that I have been using.

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I have found that lead Moltres isn't that bad. It beats Metagross, can Will-O-Wisp Snorlax early, and it beats Salamence. I'm not leading Gengar because I don't like leading with it unless it has Hypnosis. Too many Pursuit TTar.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 92 SAtk / 152 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The same thing but with more Speed. I found that Salamence is a threat so being able pass a CM to Metagross and tank the CB HP Flying is pretty important.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 24 SAtk / 188 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

I made the spread defensive because Porygon2 wasn't performing well and I needed another way to deal with Mence. Taunt + WoW is sometimes less effective than Explosion but it still gets the job done against Blissey and Snorlax, sometimes.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Bug]

I'm using fewer Special Defense EVs so that offensive cune is less of a problem. this will be explained later.

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 176 Atk / 32 Def / 104 SAtk
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Psychic
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion

Same thing with a much bulkier EV spread because I like bulk.

Regice @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SAtk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Rest

This is probably the most controversial change and I really have been having trouble this last set. I'm using Chesto Rest because it's cool but mostly because I want to be able to take Gengar's Will-O-Wisp, check Gengar, and still be able to boom on Snorlax/Blissey for maximum power. The set has been either really good or just okay in practice. I feel that has been better than Porygon2 though. The Attack EVs let you put 252 HP Suicune into a range where you can revenge kill with Dugtrio, in most scenarios(Suicune is rarely at 100% HP anyways when you go this route). This is why there a fewer Special Defense EVs on Dug, to ensure that you're killing Cune. It also helps vs Blissey! I EV'd Regice this way because I had a lot of trouble with offensive Cune. Defensive cune isn't a huge deal.

What do you guys think? I'm still unsure about a few things

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)