1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Rock! Paper... Scissors?

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by az, Oct 19, 2008.

1. az

az I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Dear SMOGON COMMUNITY forum posters,

A competitive battling sensation is taking the world by storm, and you should not be one to miss out!!!!!!

Smogon's top strategists have been working for many years on an improvement on the standard Pokémon metagame from their satelite #space station, and the results are finally yours to behold.

#space presents...

Rock, Paper, Scissors
    !RPS

Rock, Paper, Scissors is a stream-lined version of the type advantage system, simplifying the previous standard types of bug, dark, dragon, electric, fighting, fire, flying, ghost, grass, ground, ice, normal, poison, psychic, rock, steel and water into three easy-to-understand categories: rock, paper, and skittles. (We kept rock because hey that's pretty cool)

But wait just a minute, Az, (I hear you cry) doesn't this completely undermine the depth and variety of competitive battling!????? ?

AU CONTRAIRE

A rising star in the rps world, Mekkah, divulges a brief insight into the awe-inspiring depth and breadth of true top-level rps play:

[22:27] <Mekkah> i spam rock

.......????

[22:28] <Mekkah> and then if someone deviates, i mindfuck a bit

So you see, rockpapersquirtles retains all of the well-crafted and finely tuned mechanics of the current metagame, whilst revamping the system to give its lifeless, decrepit form a second wind, and make the complex more-than-three typing system more accessible to younger generations.

As a result of this monumentous occasion, and for a limited time only( !), the #space rps society presents newcomers to the competitive scene with this one-off limited edition high resolution type advantages chart, produced by experts in the field.

[​IMG]

Such an accessory is sure to aid new battlers in their quest to be the very best!!!

Let's take a quick look at the individual types, with an insight from the current leaders in the rps metagame.

ROCK

[​IMG][​IMG]

[22:31] <Mekkah> Rock, represented by a closed fist, is commonly perceived as the most aggressive throw. It taps into memories of fist fights, tall and unmoving mountains, rugged boulders and the stone ax of the caveman. Without realizing it, most players think of Rock as a weapon and will fall back on it for protection when other strategies appear to be failing.
    [22:31] <@dak> that is actually true
    [22:31] <@dak> most people start off with rock
    [22:31] <@dak> irl at least

These images display the true essence of rock........ ultimight destructive power. As former champions Mekkah and dak testify, rock is truly a force to be reckoned with, and a must have for any standard team. Don't leave home without one!

These users swear by their rocks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yea!!! ROCK ON!

PAPER

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[22:26] <jones> dak's choice: Rock
    [22:26] <jones> Mekkah's choice: Rock
    [22:26] <jones> 14It ended in a TIE
    [22:26] <jones> 14Another round of RPS between dak and Mekkah has started. Scores: dak: 1 Mekkah: 2
    [22:26] <jones> 14You now have 15 seconds to submit your weapon of choice. /msg jones Paper or P, Rock or R, Scissors or S.
    [22:26] <Mekkah> TENSE
    [22:26] <jones> dak's choice: Rock
    [22:26] <jones> Mekkah's choice: Paper
    [22:26] <jones> 14It appears Mekkah has won!
    [22:26] <jones> dak wins: 1 Mekkah wins: 3 WINNER: Mekkah

[22:26] <Mekkah> except not
    [22:26] <Az> Mekkah..... Such strength.

As can be seen from the images above, paper comes in many forms, but no matter what form it appears in, it is always deadly (for rock [​IMG]. In this excerpt from a recent tournament, Mekkah displays his true mastery of the "middle child" of rps; neither the most or least used attack mode. Paper breaks the stalemate of a rockversusrock-off, and for ease may be abbreviated to a simple "p". :heart: Mekkah can be seen in his season two look below, displaying full control over the whimsical nature of paper.

[​IMG]

[22:32] <@dak> Some players choose to retain the services of a personal trainer. Experienced and talented trainers can be invaluable in building an RPS career, but beware of charlatans. There are many “trainers” available for hire who have never been either a competitor or referee and have no qualifications to speak of. Before you sign a contract, find out who you’re dealing with.
    [22:32] <@dak> loling
    [22:33] <Az> man what the hell
    [22:33] <Mekkah> hey dak im an experienced trainer
    [22:33] <Mekkah> sign this contract
    [22:33] <Mekkah> you pay me a lot
    [22:33] <Mekkah> and i tell you to use paper

Incredible.

Scissors

[​IMG]

[22:27] <@dak> and apparently "if all else fails, use paper"
    [22:27] <@moot> i usually just spam a letter
    [22:27] <Mekkah> i spam rock
    [22:28] <@dak> since scissor is the least used tool
    [22:28] <@dak> according to tournament stats

[22:28] <@dak> lol

Due to the use of sceptiles being so rare, footage of this tool in play is sparse. However, in a recent clash between rivals, its true force was unleashed......

A disagreement on the value of RPS...

[22:26] <Mekkah> i wish i remember where this internet page was with strategies for all those simple games
    [22:26] <@dak> OOF!
    [22:27] <Mekkah> like tic tac toe and rps
    [22:27] <@dak> rps is not a simple game

Leads to Mekkah crossing the line, and invoking the wrath of dak's scissor sandwich technique.

[​IMG]

It's just lucky Mekkah traditionally plays standard, and leads with his right.

NEW!!
    Secrets of the competetive metagame unlocked! The source of Mekkah's expert training is revealed, and with it, we get an exclusive look at some of the devastating techniques available within the repertoire of a true rps master, featuring such beastly strategies as Avalanche, The Bureaucrat, Toolbox and the previously unseen Denoument:
    [​IMG]

So what are you waiting for? Get on over to #space, pick up the basics, join the International Smogon Rock, Paper, Squid Ink society, and gently

DESTORY YOUR OPPONENTS.

[​IMG]

What will you choose........:heart:

HNNNNNRRRRRRRRRRRR G[​IMG]
  2. Morm

Morm

Wow finally a firebot thread I can relate to
  3. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

true reason to play rps: find out all the dirtiest secrets of smogon members from international detective jones!

<jones> And now here's an inspirational message from Jackal: <+Jackal> I bang the fuck out of those boys
  4. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

yeah #space is so awesome especially compared to #shiv ^_^
  5. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gahhh, this new metagame is too deep for me. I hate these Platinum changes.

And by Platinum I mean rps. Because I can't get over how complex this game turns out to be!

Or do I?
  6. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

this is a really good thread lol, well done
  7. Serenity

Serenity

az, cute thread.
  8. Adam Blade

Adam Blade

Awesome thread, AZ.
  9. Calculus

Calculus

This is great stuff. The only flaws, though:

-Why isn't there more of this? :(
    -Where are the rockscissors? It was created by #BlackHole to compete with #Space's skill in rps, and undermine the game's foundations.
  10. COalex

COalex

Rock unbalances the metagame, making scissors nearly unusable. Looking at the latest usage statistics, it's clear that rock is just too powerful. With it gone, rps will decentralize to paper and scissors. As of right now, we don't want to make any unnecessary assumptions about how the new metagame will play out, but it's safe to say this:

we are entering a brave new age of rps
  11. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

You guys are all hilarious lol

I went to #space and tried out the bot, really fun.
  12. cloud

cloud groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnus

there's always that fucking guy who's like BEST OF 3 MAN NO MAN BEST OF 5 MAN NO WAIT BEST OF 7 and i hate that guy. the rps society should make a decisive ruling on the declaration of rules and how they work asap.

ps excellent thread
  13. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

PS user cloud

I'm that guy. Except for not on #space. Everywhere else

edit: also what glen said nice job
    edit2: apparently my brother is that guy too. that is all
  14. Amelia

Amelia

But the metagame is going to switch soon. People are going to lead with paper to counter the rock starters, who will switch to leading with scissors so that the paper starters are doomed to extinction. This is a really risky game, but if you know the metagame you'll win!

Also lol
  15. moot

moot

you ass hole you stole my thread idea

ps ilu for making this (:

[14:33:19] <@moot> i want to thread this
    [14:33:21] <@moot> so bad
    [14:33:33] <Az> Do it, moot.
  16. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

AH I see people are underestimating the Scizors but just you wait! he gets BULLET PUNCH in platinum updates! Being Supereffective to Rock, Bullet Punch Scizor is sure to shake up the RPS metagame!!
  17. cloud

cloud groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnus

don't call me user cloud
  18. Morm

Morm

user clod is how you spell it
  19. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

superuser clot
  20. aamto

aamto on whom the three Fates smile

everybody knows rps is best of 3.
  21. Thorns

Thorns

Brilliant. I shall now head to the mountains to perfect my skill at the game of Rock Paper Shurikens.
  22. sumginazu

sumginazu

Scizzors are totally underestimated. Sure, theyre weak to rock, but against paper... WHAMMO! My strategy: Send Paper out, thenwhen you anticipate a switch, send out Mixed Scizzors. They won't send out any physical Rocks for fear of your Paper, so you're either stuck with a draw, or a win. Game, set, match.
    Please note that this is only my opinion, for I believe that OU (such as Rock) are not as fun to play as some of the BL or UU. Rock Paper Sandwiches was designed to be for fun, not competitive battling, though the battles are now an important aspect.
  23. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

you're still whining about those hops?

heh, when will you get over it?!
  24. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

hahaha this gave me a laugh

#Az is a Firebot wizard
  25. Bourbon

Bourbon

rock is overcentralizing the metagame

we should ban it to ubers, to decentralize the tier and allow more viable options for competitive play

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)