Rock, Paper, Scizors!

Rock, Paper, Scizors!

A Swords Dance Scizor Team
(I really hope nobody has already used this title)

Overview

On my quest to try and make a team loaded with resistances and scarce in weaknesses, I panned out with a really, really crappy offensive team which lost nearly every single game I played--save one. In this final game, I managed to squeeze my Scizor out into play on a Ferrothorn and began to dance. After the predicted switch, I began to sweep his team. Granted, not many teams will be without a check to Scizor, one of the most popular pokemon in the game, but after seeing the amount of damage Scizor could do to an unprepared team, I needed to check into seeing if, with proper team support, Scizor could accomplish a similar task. Unsurprisingly, he can.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 100 SpD / 160 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Stealth Rocks
- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Heatran is my fall to in order to set up Stealth Rocks and is supposed to act as a lead. Unfortunately, packing weaknesses to fighting and ground, Heatran rarely manages a safe start or switch in early to set up rocks and mainly is used to sponge fire attacks for Scizor (although, in retrospect, this spot seems a bit unnecessary considering the fact that Scizor will most likely be kept in the back until most of his counters are checked or knocked out). It also seems Toxic may not be the best idea as it means I lose coverage in the form of either Earthquake or Earthpower. Comments on this spot please. I have also considered running the floating version of Heatran in order to avoid Earthquakes early, but I'm not sure I want to forgo the Leftovers recovery.

*Tyranitar testing in Progress*

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Stealth Rocks
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SpA, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Gastrodon is one of my favorite special walls in the game. Blissey? Blissey who? Between Gastrodon and Heatran, there are few if any special threats that can worm their way through into the offensive core of my team. Toxic is used to cripple (again, perhaps Toxic on Heatran may be redundant as he can't switch into many of the...) bulky waters and other walls that enjoy staying in as long as possible. Earthquake and Ice Beam, naturally, don't pack much punch but can finish off weakened enemies or Pokemon weak to the specified move. I have considered replacing Gastrodon with another pokemon (Eeveelution, Clefable, Blissey) that can manage the special hits with synergy to Heatran in addition to providing clerical services with Heal Bell or Wish. For now, Gastrodon is a damn good sponge. As for right now, he is the only pokemon I can safely switch into Jellicent. While most variants carry Toxic, the chance of poisoning the enemy Jellicent is well worth it as he is a hard counter to my Scizor. If I can manage to get Zapdos in (avoiding the Ice Beam) his volt switch finishes it off.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Ice
- Leech Seed

Another Pokemon I've noticed significant improvement since the last meta. Tangrowth has seriously powerful physical bulk and can switch into and shut down almost any physical sweeper. Mixed sets, of course, spell complete and utter defeat for this green guy, but otherwise so long as Regenerator is working, Tangrowth sticks around usually to late game. Even opposing Scizor have trouble breaking his behemoth defenses. Originally I had used Knock Off to deal with Choice [ab]users, but this left me with little to no sustain. While unable to be killed with brute force, Tangrowth's many weaknesses are a real thorn in the side. I'm finding fewer and fewer circumstances in which I can utilize him. Bulky, defensive, Jellicent checks would be good replacement here (maybe another spot that could be filled by a Cleric?) I opted out of Celebi with her terribly typing, but in retrospect, Tangrowth's typing is barely an improvement and I may very well be missing out on some very needed support. Perhaps I could use Shaymin as a revenge killer instead of Zapdos and swap the defensive role to the electric bird.

Zapdos @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Grass
- Heatwave
- Extrasensory

Dedicated revenge killer Zapdos, yeah! I love Zapdos as a Pokemon. He's bad-ass, pointy, and covered in lightning. I had originally planned on using his typing and stats defensively and then realized that, with a Choice Scarf, he covers my weakness to ground type moves while finishing off those who set up on me. Volt Switch gives fantastic momentum when paired with Mienshao's Fake Out + U-Turn. Unfortunately, this spot is being eyed by another similarly spiky candidate: Jolteon. With higher speed and special attack, why shouldn't I replace Zapdos with Jolteon? Really, please tell me. I haven't done enough testing to figure this out and Jolteon seems to perform rather poorly for reasons I can't identify. Perhaps the surprise factor from Zapdos is part of its advantage. Anyway, I've chosen Hidden Power Grass over Ice so as to take down any lingering Gastrodon or Swampert I couldn't finish off earlier. Ice is already covered by Mienshao, but I'm considering switching Grass to Ice as well on Zapdos in order to more comfortably deal with Dragon Dance Dragonite or Salamance. Extrasensory is filler. Really. It provides little to no extra coverage on Pokemon that would probably already be taken out by Zapdos' other 3 moves. Help with this spot.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Atk, -SpD)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-Turn
- Fake Out

This guy wrecks teams. Period. While ghost Pokemon want to switch in on his Hi Jump Kick, but usually Fake Out gets blown on the switch preventing self-inflicted damage. In fact, I have yet to miss with Hi Jump Kick. Even Conkeldurr, if I switch in on a Bulk Up or get Volt Switched to, falls in one hit to Hi Jump Kick. Latios commonly out speeds me, so I usually have to defer to Gastrodon after a Fake Out. Normally, I can't predict if Heatran will be safe to lead or not, so about 60% of the time I lead with Mienshao. Fake Out + U-Turn is always a safe combination to start off with and can (hopefully) get Heatran in on the second turn, but this seldom happens. Hopefully I can get a strong pursuit user on my team in order to monopolize on the advantage of U-Turn and Mienshao's ghost magnet, but even without it he puts up a decent fight.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

The star of the show: Scizor. While not always necessary to defeat a team (here's looking at Mienshao) Scizor can usually sneak in either early game on Ferrothorn/Forretress to set up if their team lacks resistance to either of Scizors' STABs or mid to late game after his counters have been removed. Basically Bullet Punch grants priority and Bug Bite the coverage and power. I'm wondering if, only for the sake of coverage, I should swap out Bug Bite for Brick Break so as to hit more Pokemon like Heatran for neutral damage. The only thing staying my hand is the fact that I'd have to hit him on the switch which is difficult if I'm already set up and beginning to sweep (IE: they switch on the kill and then outspeed me).

Well, that's it! Give me some advice. Remember: Heal Bell, Wish, Pursuit, Phazer (or Hazer for that matter). That's my List-o'-Things-To-Add if possible. Thanks!

Asek

Banned deucer.
Small nitpick Naive raises Spd and lowers SpDef not what you have down for Mienshao. EDIT: Zapdos, Gastro and Shao all have either poor natures or Wrongly described ones.

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nice team man,but u r weak versus Sunny team,try Tiranytar>Heatran.. so u can set SR and have a nice special wall like heatran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)