1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Rock You Like a Hurricane

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by White Lightning, Jun 25, 2013.

1. White Lightning

White Lightning

Rock You Like A Hurricane
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello Smogon

This is my first good Rain team I made. After playing on Showdown mostly using teams other people created, I decided that I wanted my own team. It's based around sweeping with Scarf Keldeo. This team helped me get a rating over 2000 on an alt, which is big accomplishment for me. Anyways, let's meet the team
    [​IMG]
    Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast
    - U-turn
    - Heat Wave

As you could guess from the title, I was going to use huricane and the most powerful Hurricane user in the metagame was an easy pick. Tornadus is my wallbreaker and was the pokemon I specifically wanted to use when I built this team.

Moveset Explanation:

Hurricane: STAB move and killer machine which has incredible neutral coverage.
    Focus Blast: Gets impeccable coverage with Hurricane. The combination is only resisted pokemon that aren't used in OU
    U-turn: Gives me precious momentum if I can predict him to switch.
    Heat Wave: If rain isn't up, this can kill Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Forretress. It's mostly a filler move because Hurricane and Focus Blast already have the needed coverage
    [​IMG]
    Politoed @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

The rain summoner. Since I was going to use Tornadus, that meant that rain support is a must. Politoed isn't just limited to summoning rain. He can also break walls with rain-boosted Hydro Pumps.

Moveset Explanation

Hydro Pump: STAB move. I chose it over Surf because Hydro Pump provides some much-needed power.
    Ice Beam: Dragons run rampant in the Ou metagame so this is always useful to have if you can predict one of them switching in.
    Focus Blast: Hits Ferrothorn which is very important because it can wall common rain abusers.
    Hidden Power [Grass]: Only used for Gastrodon, but very useful if you can take it out because then you can use Hydro Pump with more freedom.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 168 SDef / 252 HP / 88 Atk
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn was added to provide hazards and a Dragon-type resist, two very important things in this metagame. Ferrothorn can also hit hard with his STABs which are surprisingly powerful coming from a defenseive pokemon.

Moveset Explanation:

Leech Seed: This is used because Ferrothorn lacks reliable recovery.
    Stealth Rock: Mandatory for every team. Ferrothorn can set it up easily because it can tank a lot of hits.
    Power Whip: STAB move that primarly prevents Starmie from spinning on me.
    Gyro Ball: Discourages fast sweepers like Dragonite, Salamence, Terrakion to set up on me. Hits surprisingly hard because a lot of things are really fast.

[​IMG]
    Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Thunder

Latios is my second wallberaker. This thing is used more like a pivot unlike Tornadus because Latios has many important resistances like Water and Fighting.

Moveset Explanation:

Draco Meteor: Generic STAB move that wrecks every non-steel type not called Tyranitar, Blissey and Chansey
    Psyshock: Secondary STAB that hits the popular Fighting-types of Ou
    Surf: Gets psuedo-STAB in rain and provides great neutral coverage with Draco Meteor.
    Thunder: This moveslot is very tough to decide. Thunder, Recover and Hidden Power Fighting have been my main choices so far ( Running Thunder currently). Thunder covers Water-types and has a nifty 30% paralyze chance.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 146 Def / 110 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Thunder
    - Flash Cannon
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute

- Flash Cannon

- Thunder

Sub+CM Jirachi is one of the best sweepers in the metagame. It sets up on the things that can wall my sweepers and wallbreakers. The EV spread has one purpose: to outrun Standard Breloom by 1 point meaning I can set up a Substitute before it can Spore me.

Moveset Explanation:

Calm Mind:
    Boosts my low Sp.Atk and makes my Substitute harder to break on the special side.
    Substitute: Blocks status and Leech Seed which makes me able to set up on Celebi and Ferrothorn, two very common answers to Rain.
    Flash Cannon: STAB move that has a nice 20% Sp.Def drop chance.
    Thunder: Provides good coverage with Flash Cannon and has a 60% paralysis chance.
    [​IMG]
    Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Secret Sword
    - Hydro Pump
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

And finally the late-game sweeper and revenge killer. Keldeo is the most powerful rain sweeper in the metagame in my opinion and it can be a revenge killer at the same time.

Moveset Explanation:

Hydro Pump: Main STAB move which is boosted by rain. Mainly used for sweeping because I don't want to risk a miss when I'm up against a boosting sweeper.
    Surf: Used for revenge killing when I don't want to miss.
    Secret Sword: Secondary STAB move which is not used much because the sheer power that Hydro Pump gives.
    Hidden Power [Ice]: The most useful move for revenge killing because of Dragonite (which I hate)

So that's the team for ya. I know it's not a creative team at all but it's my best one so I'm happy with it.

So please rate it.

2. dcae

dcae naughty list

Hey there! This is a pretty cool Rain team you have here! I especially like the use of Tornadus. Overall, the team seems well made synergetically, but obviously, Stealth Rock is a bother for Tornadus. Also, Rock + Fighting coverage, aka Terrakion, is bothersome. Overall, there aren't that many pokemon changes that are necessary imo. Minor changes first, I recommend running Tailwind > Heat Wave on Tornadus. Tailwind is useful for things like your CM Rachi to get a jump start on other mons, or for Latios to become fast af. As a last ditch move, it has general utility. Also, it can help boost your Specs Politoed to high speeds. Next minor switch is on Ferrothorn. Move the 88 Atk EVs to Def to increase your bulkiness in the face of Outrageing Dragons. Atk EVs should only be used when employing Bulldoze generally. On Latios, I recommend running Recover > Thunder. Staying healthy in face of Sun teams is very useful, and being able to return multiple times in one battle to deal out damage is more useful than redundant coverage through Thunder. On Politoed, definitely run Psychic > Hidden Power Grass, because Toxicroak is very dangerous for this team to face, especially the LO SD variant. Psychic allows you to hit it on the switch and KO. Overall, this is a well constructed team, and I hope I helped. Good luck!
  3. White Lightning

White Lightning

Thanks for the rate. I'm actually 13th on the ladder now. And I didn't have any place for a spinner on the team.
  4. Hopkinc1

Hopkinc1

The only thing about this is other than Ferrothorn, your team is all special attackers. Yes, you have secret sword on your Keldeo, but if you are locked into something else and someone brings in a Blissey then you gotta take almost 3 moves to get it set up again, and by that time the BLissey would be gone possibly. Overall I think that you need some form of physical attack. I don't know exactly what would work but that's just my two cents.
  5. Lady Alex

Lady Alex I asked Mawile to not hurt me. I was betrayed.
    is a Tiering Contributor

I only have a small nitpick, since I think this is a really solid team already. Ithink you would benefit from using Roost > Thunder on Latios. The only thing I can see you using Thunder for would be Gyarados, who is already walled by Ferrothorn (Jirachi could survive a +1 waterfall and 1hko in return, too). Other Electric weak pokemon are going to be taking heavy damage from Draco Meteor anyway, so I think the extra longevity from roost is worth it.
  6. TheEeveeAnimations

TheEeveeAnimations

I think your team is very solid overall, but I think there are a few changes.

Maybe Hidden Power Grass > Perish Song to stop late game sweepers, and because Gastrodon is a really rare sight in OU. Besides, Ferrothorn will be taking down Gastrodons regardless.
    Other than that, I really liked your team. Good job!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)