Roggenrola (Analysis)

FUCK I DELETED EVERYTHING

Hopefully, the skeleton will be done by this weekend. It was finished, but...when I uploaded it, I wasn't logged in, and the rest...isn't history, because it's gone. GONE

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/524.shtml

[Overview]

A newcomer to the Generation V scene, Roggenrola is yet another slow yet powerful Rock-type tank. Unique among his fellows, Geodude, Rhyhorn, Onix, Larvitar, and Nosepass, with his lack of quadruple weaknesses, Sturdy, and high Attack, Roggenrola is not one to be trifled with. Great neutral coverage combined with Body Purge or Trick Room support makes for a very scary sweeper, and in sandstorm, it has incredibly good mixed defenses backed by still solid attack. With Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Explosion, it makes a good lead as well. Just because something has no arms doesn't mean it can't crush you like an egg.

Name: Body Purge Sweeper
Move 1: Body Purge
Move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Blast
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Explosion
Item: Oran Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe

[Set Comments]

• 17 Attack lets STAB Stone Edge OHKO stuff like Evo-stone Misdreavus and other stuff I will find out later
  • Edgequake coverage hits all but Bronzor and Baltoy
  • Explosion kills stuff when at low health
  • Oran to utilize bulk and Sturdy, Life Orb for more power
  • Stone Edge for reliability (relatively), Rock Blast for Sub-breaking
[Additional Comments]

• Hippo sets Sandstorm to give it a SpD boost and break Sashes, SR never hurts a sweeper, and it can take fighting and ground hits well, but they fall to Grass- and Water-types
  • Mantyke and Slowpoke resist Fighting, Water, and Steel priority, and Roggenrola can take Electric attacks with a Sandstorm boost, but they fall to Grass-types
  • Grass-types like Monmen take Water-, Ground-, and Grass-type attacks, while Roggenrola resists Fire, Poison, and Flying
  • Packing another Rock-type sweeper like Geodude isn't a bad idea, as Geodude can lure in Bronzor and Fire Punch it
  • Wynaut takes Fighting-type attacks and checkmates scarfers that can outspeed Roggenrola, even after a Body Purge

[Set]

Name: Trick Room Sweeper
Move 1: Stone Edge / Rock Blast
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Explosion
Move 4: Return / Hidden Power Ice
Item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
Nature: Brave
Evs: 236 HP / 236 Atk
Ivs: 0 Spe

[Set Comments]

• On the other side of the speed spectrum, Roggenrola can "outspeed" any non-Trick Room built pokemon when in Trick Room itself, with a great minimum speed of 4
  • Edgequake still has great neutral coverage
  • Explosion is a great way to finish a TR sweep, letting a TR setter come in unharmed and hopefully killing something to boot
  • Life Orb slashed first because you go ahead of everything, so killing stuff is of greater priority than using the shiny new ability
  • Last slot is filler, Return hits Baltoy without dying and provides a slightly stronger alternative to Earthquake, HP Ice has a 50% chance of KOing non-Evo-Stone Gligar after SR with Life Orb

[Additional Comments]

• Slowpoke resists Water, Fighting, Steel again, sets up Trick Room, lasts a long time with Regeneration and Slack Off and Evo-stone
  • Ghost-types like Desumasu and Hitomoshi are immune to fighting, set up Trick Room, and can burn physical attackers, and since most priority is physical, that's good
  • Hippo still sets up Sandstorm and Stealth Rock
  • Rock-types still good for offensive redundancy

[Set]

Name: Substitute
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Blast
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Explosion
Item: Life Orb /Oran Berry
Nature: Naughty / Adamant

[Set Comments]

• Instead of sweeping, Roggenrola becomes a bulky tank
  • Substitute lets it hit faster scarfers like Misdreavus and Gligar, as well as priority users like Meditite and Tirtooga
  • Edgequake blah
  • Hidden Power Ice still does Gligar in, Explosion is Explosion, but behind a sub, you're betting off using Stone Edge or Earthquake most of the time
  • Life Orb because Substitute obviously un-powers Sturdy, but Oran if you want to last longer
  • Naughty if using HP Ice
[Additional Comments]

• As a defensive pokemon, Roggenrola appreciates Sandstorm even more now
  • Pairs well with Bulk Up Evo-Stone Meditite, resisting flying, while Meditite takes fighting attacks
  • Slowpoke and Mantyke still resists a ton of weaknesses
  • Monmen resists Water and Grass, and Encore can provide turns to set up with, while Leech Seed provides lovely, lovely recovery

[Set]

Name: Lead
Move 1: Rock Blast / Stone Edge
Move 2: Stealth Rock
Move 3: Explosion
Move 4: Protect / Earthquake / Hidden Power Ice
Item: Oran Berry
Nature: Adamant/Naughty

[Set Comments]

• Auto-Focus Sash with Sturdy makes it a good lead
  • One of the few Gen V pokemon to learn Stealth Rock, Roggenrola utilizes it to break Sashes and limit switching
  • Earthquake for Edgequake coverage, HP ice hits Gligar, Protect blocks Fake Out
  • Rock Blast breaks Sashes that lots of leads have, so it's better now
  • Explosion kills stuff when low on health
[Additional Comments]

• Has trouble with fighting-type, ground-type, grass-type leads
  • Meditite and Kojofuu beaten by ghosts like Misdreavus or psychics like Slowpoke
  • Phanpy and Gligar beaten by Slowpoke or Mantyke
  • Monmen beaten by Shikijika or Snover
  • Sweepers like Komatana and Mantyke appreciate SR

[Optional Changes]

• Not much to say, small movepool
  • Rock Slide can be used for more accuracy and flinching, but the power loss means you can't KO stuff like Evo-stone Missy
  • Curse can be used on the Trick Room set, but setting up wastes a Trick Room turn
  • Heavy Bomber and Rock Polish can be used, but Heavy Bomber is almost never a better option than Stone Edge or Earthquake, due to the insubstantial difference between weights, and Rock Polish is entirely outclassed by Body Purge without Heavy Bomber, due to lowering the damage of Low Kick and Grass Knot
  • HP Fire 3-4HKOs Bronzor with Life Orb, but really, that sucks.

[Checks and Counters]

• Entry hazards suck for breaking Sturdy
  • Fighting-types like Dokkora and Zuruggu resist Stone Edge and OHKO it with STAB
  • Ground types like Sandile and Mogurew resist Stone Edge and OHKO it with STAB
  • Gligar doesn't resist Stone Edge, but takes little from any of Roggenrola's attacks but Hidden Power Ice while holding Evo-stone and OHKOing with Earthquake
  • Bronzor and Baltoy resist Stone Edge and Earthquake and destroy it with their STAB moves
  • Water-types take hefty damage from Stone Edge, but OHKO with STAB
  • Ditto with Grass-types
  • Roggenrola is weak to a lot of priority, and has no priority of its own to retaliate, so priority users like Meditite, Croagunk, and Carvanha can revenge well

[Dream World]
  • DW Ability is Sand Power
  • Roggenrola becomes capable of OHKOing almost anything that doesn't resist Edgequake, with a free boost equivalent to a Choice Band
  • Hippopotas becomes even more necessary, providing both a defensive and offensive boost as well as setting SR

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For the body purge sweeper, and the trick room sweeper, you need a space in move 4 between the move and the colon, as well as a another space being needed in LeaDango set in move 1. Other than that, looks good from a glance

17 Attack lets STAB Stone Edge OHKO
Minor nitpick, but I think you forgot to mention what Stone Edge OHKOs, here.

Oran Berry/Life Orb
A recurring mistake several times in this analysis is that you have not left spaces between the word and the slash. The correct format would be Oran Berry / Life Orb.

...Desukan and Hitomoshi...
Common mistake, since this is LC, you should be talking about Desumasu, Desukan's pre-evolution.

Looks good otherwise. Good luck.

I'd like to see Custap slashed with Oran as the item choice on the lead set.

Also, WTF @ Body Purge? What parts of its body does it purge? It hardly has a body to begin with, LOL.

Thanks to all. Changes will be made in a mo'.

Also, Custap can't be gotten in Gen 5. Sucks, doesn't it?

Prolly, like, cuts off the antenna thing on its head. With its foot. It stuff its antenna into its eyehole and severs it with its sharpened foot.

Kind trainers use Rock Polish.

Bronzor needs a mention in the counters section. Doesn't take dick from any of Dongoro's attacks, sets up Screens or Stealth Rock, then can just Psychic you to hell.

I believe Gligar also deserves a mention in the Counters section, outrunning Dangoro, coming in on EQ or Stone Edge, and posing a threat with either STAB Earthquake, or Swords Dance. Besides, Gligar can Roost, resisting Stone Edges from Dangoro while healing off, not that Evolution Stone Gligar minds Stone Edge too much.

Substitute seems kind of silly? Are there any scenarios where Sub is useful that happen [often enough to warrant a set]?

the other sets seem fine at a glance. i'll look into it more in depth later...

Substitute seems kind of silly? Are there any scenarios where Sub is useful that happen [often enough to warrant a set]?

the other sets seem fine at a glance. i'll look into it more in depth later...
Erm.

You switch in Dangoro.

Opp switches out to a scarfer that hits over 24 speed. Like Mankey or Kojofu or Gligar or Murkrow or Gastly or Chinchou.

With Rock Polish, you can't hurt them.

With Substitute, you can.

You switch in Dangoro.

They switch in priority user like Meditite or Croagunk or Buizel or Purotooga or Carvanha or Machop.

With Rock Polish, you can't hurt them.

With Substitute, you can.

Perhaps I should emphasize it can remove counters to other Rock-typed Body Purgers, opening up a sweep for them? 'cause it does.

BlazikenTorchic hasn't already said this, which surprises me, but this thing's English name is Rogenrola (lame).

Rockenroller anyone? No? k.

Roggenrola hits 5 Speed minimum, not 4. Also remember to list the 0 Speed IV on the Trick Room set.

Looking at it's moves, it doesn't really have many other options. So add 0 Speed IV to Trick Room, and then

QC Approval: 1/2

SkyNet

MediEvil!
Just a quick nit pick, [Counters] is now [Checks and Counters].

Pretty much covered all the bases, get back to me when you have done that small change and I will stamp.

Edit: Changes have been implemented, Stampd

QC Approval: 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)