Role Playing Approval Center (Update 5-12-13)

It seems like a good idea: I prefer having a deliberately built team (especially given I basically use a Hail team which the new quad weaknesses rule has not treated kindly, stupid 4x fire weaknesses,) but people who want a more free experience can get that.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but has anybody given any thought to a forum-wide RP storyline? I don't know how interested anyone else is in the roleplay aspect of ASB, but it's something I wouldn't mind seeing. I'm trying to think of how one would work in the context of what we have set up already. Maybe one of the mods sets up an inciting incident, two opposing sides are established, players choose their 'sides', and then future ASB battles are colored by the context of what's currently going on in the storyline. For example, players would challenge one-another based on what side they're on, 'special' battles could take place that pertain to certain storyline elements, etc.

I'm just spewing stream-of-consciousness here, but I'm nonetheless interested if anyone would like to see more RP stuff going on in CAP ASB. I don't have much of a Smogon rep or postcount to my name, but I'd be more than willing to contribute to writing plotlines. For what it's worth, I'm going to school for Screenwriting, so I've got at least that amount of writing experience to my name.

I could see that-besides, it COULD provide use for those Legendary statistics and moves we've compiled.

Just make sure that "Out-of-Character" battles can occur too.

Concept: Darkamber8828's Mine 'n' Forge

Category: Item collecting

Bio: Caves for digging treasure and materials and places to convert things into cooler things

Description: Take a pokemon and a tool with you and punch rocks until you find things. Better tools cost more trainer counters. Pokemon speed determines how many actions, and Attack determines what kind of rocks you can break.

And perhaps SpA determines how likely you are to break your treasures?

Trainer: Entry Post: A Trainer says where they want to dig. A Trainer rents tools and picks a pokemon and where they want to dig.

Staff: Staff sends a trainer to their area and gives them their tools. The Staff Member marks down who is in which area and how many people (There will be maximums for each area, and trainers who want to go into a full area will be placed in a queue), and shiny spots, which are good places to dig, although you can try anywhere.

Trainer: Mining Post: A Trainer Role-Plays out mining, as well as looking around the area.

Staff: The Staff gives them a scenario for what is going on near their mining plot, points out any items that might be on the ground or odd noises if the trainer wants to investigate.

Trainer: Trainer either keeps mining or explores the item/scenario etc.

Staff: Staff gives outcome, either the trainer picking an item or something raiding their stuff while they weren't looking etc. Says they can pack up and leave with their stuff on the next post or continue mining for another day.

Trainer: Leaving Post or Mining Post: Trainer either continues mining, or leaves and sells their loot for Trainer Counters or turns it into other stuff.

Staff: If treasure is taken or items are made, they are given to the trainer and they can post the link in the OP. If not, another scenario round commences.

Cool way to introduce a lot of items.

Also, none of the above is a slightly butchered quote. Nope.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but has anybody given any thought to a forum-wide RP storyline? I don't know how interested anyone else is in the roleplay aspect of ASB, but it's something I wouldn't mind seeing. I'm trying to think of how one would work in the context of what we have set up already. Maybe one of the mods sets up an inciting incident, two opposing sides are established, players choose their 'sides', and then future ASB battles are colored by the context of what's currently going on in the storyline. For example, players would challenge one-another based on what side they're on, 'special' battles could take place that pertain to certain storyline elements, etc.

I'm just spewing stream-of-consciousness here, but I'm nonetheless interested if anyone would like to see more RP stuff going on in CAP ASB. I don't have much of a Smogon rep or postcount to my name, but I'd be more than willing to contribute to writing plotlines. For what it's worth, I'm going to school for Screenwriting, so I've got at least that amount of writing experience to my name.
As an avid roleplayer, I am highly interested in this idea. As ASB is already has a roleplay-ey aura to it, why not flesh it out as a real forum roleplay? Participants will be able to flesh out the personality of their trainer character and pokemons that way, and in turn would make the battles themselves much more interesting. Setting up a roleplay will also force people to brush up their writing skills, which in turn makes better refs. I would support the implementation of this idea, but sadly I am also no one in these forums.

Concept: ASBL - Accessories and Style Battling League

Category: Sprite altering

Description: I'll get dogfish44 in on this too. Basically a sprite shop for changing the colour of your Pokemon or adding accessories - stuff that doesn't impact battles unless there are very specific conditions.
I'm digging this idea. Not only could you purchase accessories, but also add any battle scars to your pokemon. For example, in my current battle, my Aipom just lost a tooth, and I think it would be cool to edit her sprite to match.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor

Description: I'll get dogfish44 in on this too. Basically a sprite shop for changing the colour of your Pokemon or adding accessories - stuff that doesn't impact battles unless there are very specific conditions.

This is confirmation of me seeing this.

Gonna have to sort out some form of price list, but we'll see that in due course.

As an avid roleplayer, I am highly interested in this idea. As ASB is already has a roleplay-ey aura to it, why not flesh it out as a real forum roleplay? Participants will be able to flesh out the personality of their trainer character and pokemons that way, and in turn would make the battles themselves much more interesting. Setting up a roleplay will also force people to brush up their writing skills, which in turn makes better refs. I would support the implementation of this idea, but sadly I am also no one in these forums.
Hmm...could I collaborate with people who support a roleplaying plot?

The Battle Subway

Overview:

The battle subway is a random battle sequence where players can challenge the subway at any time instead of battling other opponents. Certain aspects of the battles are fixed, but the subway accepts challenges in both singles and doubles formats. Additionally, users are rewarded special currency, Battle Points, for winning battles in the subway that can be used to purchase actually useful held items that don't perish when used.

User Interaction:

• Four players may challenge the subway at a given time. This may increase or decrease based on my business at any given time with the rest of Smogon.
  • A player may only challenge the subway once every week. Users who have challenged the subway fewer times are given priority in user selection for who faces the subway.
  • Players challenge the subway until either they win 3 consecutive battles and defeat the Subway Boss or lose.
  • While taking the Subway challenge, all Pokemon you bring with you cannot be being used in any other battles in ASB, nor can they be used in other battles in ASB while the Subway challenge is ongoing. By bringing a Pokemon with you for the Subway Challenge, you effectively remove them from the rest of ASB until the challenge is over.
Battle Details:

• Opponents for the players are randomly selected from a pool based on difficulty and played by myself.
  • I will ref all matches as well. Deck can hopefully trust me not to cheat or something.
  • Difficulty of a match depends on which round the player is at. The first match chooses from a list of fairly weak Pokemon, the second match chooses from mid-stage or generally decent Pokemon, and the third stage chooses from some fully evolved Pokemon and is fairly tough.
  • The Boss battle after all 3 stages are defeated will include Pokemon of the Boss's choice with moves of the boss's choice. The Boss chooses these Pokemon before the player announces their team for the challenge. This way I cannot counter team the player. The player also does not know what the chosen team is until the player reaches the Boss.
  • If you clear the entire subway and then challenge it again, the difficulty of all matches will increase dramatically, but the rewards are multiplied for the raised difficulty.
  • If you defeat the Subway enough, you may face special and extraordinarily difficult opponents that will bestow special rewards upon you for winning.
  • Players must use the same team of Pokemon for the entire challenge until the Boss is beaten or they lose. If they challenge the subway again later on, they may change teams before they begin the new challenge.
Battle Formats:

Singles Battle Subway

• Pokemon: 1v1
  • DQ: 1 day
  • Switch: OK
  • Abilities: 1
  • Items: OK
  • Recovery: Unlimited
  • Chills: 0
  • Restrictions:
    • No two Pokemon on your team may be of the same species.
Singles Battle Subway Boss

• Pokemon: 3v3
  • Restrictions:
Doubles Battle Subway

• Pokemon: 2v2
  • Restrictions:
Doubles Battle Subway Boss

• Pokemon: 4v4
  • Restrictions:
Arena: Subway

(Image) Cramped spaces are characteristic of this arena and during the battle the train zooms along briskly, bumping occasionally to throw all Pokemon for a loop. There are no seats in these custom trains, as they are designed for Pokemon battles, though there are metal rings hanging from the ceiling that Pokemon and players alike can hold onto. The train is big enough in size to fit all Pokemon within reason, though larger Pokemon will find it difficult to maneuver. Somehow, the train is so immeasurably tough that no attack can damage it or throw it off course. There is no dirt to dig into, there is virtually no room to fly, and there is no initial weather. Although there is electricity flowing about and tons of metal, it is all properly insulated so that no single type of Pokemon has a distinct advantage over any other.

Rewards:

• Winning a battle in the subway awards you with Battle Points (BP) equal to the match in the subway you're on. This means that if you win the second match, you win 2BP, and if you win the third match, you win 3BP.
  • Defeating the Boss for any subway line awards you with 5BP.
  • If you beat the Boss and challenge the subway again, all rewards will be multiplied by a factor equal to (1+N) where N is the number of times you have beaten the Boss without losing. For instance, this means that if you successfully clear the subway 4 times in a row, the first match of the next round will be worth 5BP, the match after 10BP, and so on.
  • The player with the longest win streak in the subway is awarded with a specialty item of their choice that they will be able to use in any battle in CAP ASB for as long as they retain that streak. If someone overtakes their streak, they cannot use the item in future battles and the new streak-holder will get an item of their choice. The minimum streak required to qualify for this reward is 4.
  • BP may be exchanged for hold items that can be used in all CAP ASB battles and are accessible nowhere else in CAP ASB. This makes it well worth your time to challenge the subway, although you will definitely want to train against your peers before taking it on. It won't be easy.
Reward List:

I've only briefly discussed this with Deck, but he seemed optimistic that he would implement held items like Life Orb, Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, and others to be acquired through this. He said he'd want to balance these items and implement them first, but to post this anyway to garner interest for the idea.

Conclusion:

Well, what do you all think? I'm dying to know!

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Concept: Hazy Mazy Cave

Category: Exploration

Description: Take a Pokemon with you, to take on the Hazy Maze. There are several things found in this cave, including a variety of items. There also a variety of pitfalls and traps, so watch out! And perhaps, if you conquer the cave, you may come face to face with something else...

Basically, this could be a way to get items, and make them more popular. Atm the biggest problem with that is "why am I not spending these tokens on Pokemon", so this solves it by creating a way to obtain items without needing to use up tokens.

I was thinking of making it possible to see legendaries(note: at this moment, there are 0 plans for catching legendaries in HMC) at the end of the cave, but I'd rather Deck took the final calls on anything related to legendaries.

Concept: Vitamin Store

Category: Shop

Description:

Vitamins are special items; by supplementing specific aspects of the Pokemon's health, they increase a Pokemon's base stats by a small amount. Not their stars, but the base stats that form the stars. Pokemon who fall just short of the investment can gain extra power.

Each vitamin type costs 1 Trainer Counter/whatever no. of Battle Points. Each vitamin increases the raw base stats of a Pokemon by 2.
-Protein supplements the Pokemon's muscular strength and physical attack. -Iron increases the Pokemon's ability to pump oxygen and its physical defense.
-Calcium increases bone strength, allowing Pokemon to attempt riskier power levels of their Special Attacks
-Zinc supplements various systems and special defense.
-Carbos give Pokemon a quick fuel reserve to boost their speed on.
-HP up contains a blend of fats and complex carbohydrates designed to release a long-term flow of energy that allows a Pokemon to last longer before fainting.
-The PP up (nicknamed the Energy Up) in an interesting case-it contains a multitude of compounds designed to help a Pokemon more efficiently use and process energy, increasing its total energy by 2.

However, there are limits. In addition to only being practical on Pokemon who fall just short of a base stat/star counter (coughGyaradosbaseattackcoughKingdrasbaseeverythingcough), after a point the Pokemon's body gains the maximum amount of that vitamin their body can synthesize into stat increases; 16 vitamins per stat maximum is considered the maximum per individual stat for fully evolved Pokemon, unevolved Pokemon can only have 8 per stat and partially evolved Pokemon can only have 12 per stat. Also, a Pokemon can only synthesize a limited amount of vitamins total-21 for unevolved Pokemon, 32 for partially evolved Pokemon, and 42 for fully evolved Pokemon. Choose wisely-a "vitamin purge" can be bought for 3 Trainer Counters, but it eliminates all your vitamins on one Pokemon.

A special Vitamin Counter (VC) has been developed that allows track to be kept of each stat. Each stat has its own-once a vitamin has been purchased and given to a Pokemon, that stat and its vitamin maximum are shown. The Total Vitamin Counter (TVC,) listed below the Dream Counter, details how many vitamins a Pokemon has synthesized versus the total they have used.

Basically a way for things that just barely fall short of the "base stat lines" to get higher stats, and also as a way of translating EVs. Also a way of distinguishing Gyarados' attack stat from Muk's attack stat-Gyarados requires but 1 Protein to reach 5 starred attack, while Muk requires 13.

Also, custom berry:

Pinkan Berry: Negates energy-increasing effects.
Berry Cost: 3
Activation: The Pinkan berry has two uses which may be utilized for three purposes:
-When a move that alters energy usage is utilized against this Pokemon, its effect can be negated.
-The effects of the ability Pressure (or an environmental effect similar to Pressure) are negated against this Pokemon for one round.
-The "movespam" energy penalty is halved for two consecutive moves-not a full round. You may eat the entire berry and consume both uses to get 3 consecutive move uses at half penalty.
-These three effects cannot be combined-you may not negate Pressure and get two half-penalty consecutive moves on the same use.
Natural Gift: 8 Power, Steel.

Dude, I'd totally help with that if you wanted me to.

Well then, lets create an adequate post to introduce the roleplay plot. Since this plan is somewhat sunk between the large posts that everyone makes to introduce their ideas.

I have not so much a suggestion as a question (and I wasn't sure where else to post it, sorry for that...).

Is Roleplayed spectating allowed? That is, posting in a ongoing fight with observations and whatnot, similar to how they do in the tourneys of the anime? I have not seen anyone doing this, nor did I find any threads that talked about it much... (though admittedly I'm not the most observant person so sorry if I missed anything).

I have not so much a suggestion as a question (and I wasn't sure where else to post it, sorry for that...).

Is Roleplayed spectating allowed? That is, posting in a ongoing fight with observations and whatnot, similar to how they do in the tourneys of the anime? I have not seen anyone doing this, nor did I find any threads that talked about it much... (though admittedly I'm not the most observant person so sorry if I missed anything).
Most battles I've seen have a sentence in the OP specifically asking spectators not to speak during battle. It interrupts the flow of the match whilst possibly providing a help or hindrance to a competing Trainer (even if it's not intentional). You're free to point out any observations and the like once the battle ends, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)