Rolf vs. Kaxtar on a battlefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Doo doo doo dooooooooo, doo doo doo doo dooooooooooooo, doo doo doo doo dee dooo, DOO DOO doo doo doo... etc

Hello and welcome to this exciting match between the experienced Kaxtar and the slightly newer Rolf, but as we know the underdog can always come out the victor! Just look at... well never mind.

Anyway, here are the rules:
Kaxtar said:
no items
Switch=ko
one ability
proper capitalisation not required
Being the challenger, Rolf will send out his Pokémon first.
Kaxtar will then do the same and issue attacks
and finally Rolf will issue attacks.

Let's go!

Togepi is up first.

Start with a Yawn, or an ancient power if he uses sub. Follow up with an Extrasensory. Finish with a Flamethrower, or a Yawn if he used Sub on the first action.

If at any time it uses poison powder, sleep powder or stun spore, use Flamethrower to burn them up in place of the action.

Lets start off with a Substitute and block that yawn and take the Ancientpower. Next use PoisonPowder, using the Substitute as a decoy to take the Flamethrower as you Poison the poor thing. Finish with Disable. We don't want him burning powder anymore if possible.

Alchemator

It looks like the battle is beginning atop this conveniently-placed floating island. Rolf is the first to reveal his Pokémon - it's Marcia the Venonat!

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Nature: Modest

Type:
Poison: Poison STAB; immunity to Poison/Toxic, see and breath through smog/smokescreens uninhibited. Dasutodasu, Muk, and Weezing inflict Toxic Poisoning with Solid/Liquid/Gaseous Poison attacks (respectively), Wrap, Haze, and Glare have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).
Bug: Bug STAB; Anger Powder, Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, Solarbeam, Spore, Stun Spore, Roost have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:
Venonat
HP: 100
Atk: * (-)
Def: **
SpA: *** (+)
SpD: **
Spe: 45

EC: 0/6
MC: 0
DC: 0/5

Abilities:
Compoundeyes: (Innate) This Pokemon’s complex eyes give it a comprehensive view of the field, making its attack 30% (x1.3) more accurate.
Tinted Lens: (Innate When this Pokemon uses an attack that is normally not very effective, that attack is calculated at the next highest resisrance modifier. (e.g. 4x resistance is calculated at 2x, 2x resistance

Not to be outdone, Kaxtar sends out Quartz the Togepi!

Togepi [Quartz] (Male)
Nature: Quiet (Increase Special attack by *, decrease Speed by 15%, 5% increase to attacks)

Type:

Normal: Normal STAB; Bite, Claw Sharpen, Crunch, Dig, Double Kick, Hammer Arm, Iron Tail, Rain Dance, Rock Smash, Shadow Claw, Sunny Day, Wild Charge have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:

HP: 90
Atk: *
Def: ***
SpA: *** (+1)
SpD: ***
Spe: 17 (20/ 1.15)

EC: 0/9
MC: 0
DC: 0/5

Hustle: (Can be Enabled): This Pokemon puts immense force and speed in its physical attacks, increasing the base damage of all its physical attacks by three (3), but the haste lowers their accuracy to 80% of normal.

Serene Grace: (Innate): This Pokemon has a blessing which doubles the success chance of its attack’s secondary effects. (eg paralysis from Thunderbolt)

Marcia begins the battle, using 23HP to create a Substitute. The little rhydon plushie falls to the ground, and Quartz immediately assumes that it's his new target. Summoning rocks from the ground below him (kinda dangerous on a floating island no?) he throws them at the decoy, doing 12 damage to it with Ancientpower.

Still hiding, Marcia shuffles and little poisonous flakes fall off and are used as a Poisonpowder. Quartz, however, had prepared for this situation and used Flamethrower to burn up the spores. Unfortunately for the Togepi, though, it did no damage to Marcia or her decoy.

Angered at her master plan being foiled so early, Marcia is quick to Disable Flamethrower, so it can't be used for a long while. Quartz uses Yawn because Marcia used Substitute first, but it had no effect...

It seems that no alloys have yet appeared.

So at the end of that exciting first round, here's how things are looking:
Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
HP: 77
Energy: 69

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
Energy: 83

Rolf, your orders please.

Yepyep yay.

Start with Sleep Powder. Then use Bug Resistence. Then use PoisonPowder, or sleep powder again if the first one didn't go through.

lol. Thank goodness bug types get -1 energy for spore/powder attacks.

Alright Togepi, we NEED to get an encore off. Start with one on sleep Powder, hopefully you can move first. If you somehow avoid the sleep and have gotten the encore off successfully, use an Extrasensory. Otherwise, try again to Encore it again, this time onto bug resistance. On the third action, use an ancient power, or an extrasensory if he's encored onto Bug Resistance.

Alchemator

I'm on a little floating island in the middle of nowhere and here's coverage on this riveting battle between Rolf and Kaxtar! The battle began last round with Quartz being riveted by a Substitute that Marcia set up. Let's have a quick recap of the state of the contestants.

Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Energy: 69

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 80
Energy: 83

Marcia begins with Sleep Powder, which Quartz only just manages to Encore before falling into an intense sleep (3 actions). Now locked into Sleep Powder, Marcia uses it again twice.

Suddenly a red alloy appears from nowhere and slams into Quartz, knocking him off the stage and making him respawn on the topmost platform. Surprisingly it isn't enough to alter his sleep.

So at the end of that round here are the scores:
Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Energy: 51

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
Energy: 74

Kaxtar, please order.

ooookay.

Well, lets PoisonPowder it now Venonat while its sleeping, then use Bug Resistance. Finish with a Venom Shock.

Use an encore as you wake up to lock him into poison powder. The use Extrasensory to break the sub. Also, I'll go first the next two rounds, as Rolf just went when I should have been. Alch, don't I lose like 10 HP or something for being knocked off the stage? If so, and if this lowers my sleep counter, I'll have togepi execute a shadow ball on the third action.

Alchemator

Deepest apologies for the delay, there's a reffing coming right up.

AND HERE IT IS

I'm so glad that Poképrofs of long ago invented cryostasis, and after a lengthy wait we can now resume the intense battle that is going on! Well, it isn't really intense given that Quartz has been asleep and Marcia has been locked into Sleep Powder but hey, the view's great! Let's take a quick recap of the situation:

Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Energy: 51
Actions: Poisonpowder ~ Bug Resistance ~ Venom Shock

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 80
Energy: 74
Actions: Sleep ~ Encore ~ Extrasensory

It seems that Marcia is making quite a splash in what I believe is her debut battle, and she isn't going to stop! Using the purple dust from her body, she shakes off a Poisonpowder which latches onto the sleeping Quartz and, you would never have guessed it, poisoned him!

Waking up, Quartz only manages to rub his drowsy eyes before being fully woken up by a strange sound - Struggle Bug! It also lowers Quartz's Special Attack one stage! Despite being annoyed by this attack straight after his nap, Quartz bites the bullet and urges Marcia on with an Encore.

Happy to oblige, Marcia fires off another Struggle Bug, which once again cuts Quartz's offenses. Finally getting an opening to retaliate, Quartz focuses all of his nasty thoughts into one psychic wave, using Extrasensory. Such fury struck Marcia hard, dealing a critical hit at just the right time!

It seems that no alloys have appeared to shake things up...

So at the end of that round, here are the standings:
Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
HP: 58
Energy: 41

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 62
Energy: 59

Once again, my apologies.

Great Job Togepi

First things first, weather the second Struggle Bug and use Encore on it, locking it again into struggle bug. Then use a morning sun to get some precious HP back. End with another encore on Venonant as its then-current one expires (make sure you move last on this turn). Let's stall this thing out of energy.

Encore~Morning Sun~Encore

Okeedokes Marcia, if Kax's plan works and he is able to Encore the moves, I guess you'll be locked into a never-ending Struggle Bug cycle but that's okay. What can he do to you back? (Although confirmation from Deck that it doesn't work)

Otherwise, finish your little lovespree with Struggle Bug, then use Substitute (23 HP) as he heals, then chill!

Alchemator

I gotta say, I've been wondering for a while how they built this thing. Is it to do with that light in the bottom? Does a Claydol live in it and keeps it up by levitating? Oh I'm getting sidetracked, sorry! Here's a recap:

Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
HP: 58
Energy: 41
Actions: Struggle Bug ~ Substitute ~ Chill

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 62
Energy: 59
Actions: Encore ~ Morning ~ Encore

Submitting to the Encore of the previous round, Marcia begins with yet another Struggle Bug, which deals mild damage. Noting the success that Encore has given him in the past, Quartz tries to use Encore again - however, much to his annoyance, it fails completely!

Watching from the sidelines, it seems that this round is really harking back to the beginning of the battle, as Marcia uses 23HP on another Substitute! Quartz ignores this however, and uses Morning Sun to restore 25HP.

Marcia then Chills as Quartz attempts another Encore, but unfortunately for the Togepi it fails.

No wire alloys seem to have appeared again...

So at the end of that round, here are the standings!
Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
HP: 35
Energy: 31

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 75
Energy: 27

Things are really heating up here! Can Rolf heat it up further?

Since togepi is poisoned, let's whack it with a venom shock. Follow with another struggle bug, and finish with another venom shock!

Alchemator

I'm alive! Please note my sig to check when I'm going to ref - I never forget about these things, I just have to schedule them very specifically :P

Here at the Battlefield it seems both Pokémon are encountering problems in breaking the other. Let's take a quick look at how things stand.

Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Energy: 31
Actions: Venom Shock ~ Struggle Bug ~ Venom Shock

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 75
Actions: Flamethrower ~ Extrasensory ~ Chill

Using its Substitute as a decoy, Marcia kicks things off with a double-powered Venom Shock, which is tough enough to make Quartz recoil slightly. However, he isn't out for the count yet as he retaliates with a Flamethrower, singing the decoy considerably.

Marcia then decides to follow up her real life struggle with a memorable autobiography, Struggle Bug! It manages to lower Quartz's SAtk one stage! He won't be taking any of this ghost-written nonsense however, and finishes off Marcia's Substitute with an extraordinary Extrasensory!

In revenge Marcia fires off another souped-up Venom Shock, but Quartz does nothing but Chill.

It seems that Quartz is really having it rough this round, as a Yellow Alloy appears and swipes him off the stage, inflicting 10HP damage!

So at the end of that high-powered round, here are the scores:
Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Energy: 13

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 23
Energy: 26

It seems that Quartz is in a pretty tight spot, but does Marcia have enough energy to end this now? Over to Kaxtar!

Togepi, we can still win this!

Begin with a Flamethrower, then use a Morning Sun to replenish health. End the round with a chill. If he uses a non-attacking move in the first two actions, encore him into that move.

Flamethrower/Encore~Morning Sun/Encore~Chill

Struggle bug to weaken that flamethrower a bit, then take some deserved rest with a chill. (you can't encore chills, right? If you can use venom shock/chill) Finish with another strong venom shock!

Alchemator

Both combatants are feeling rather tired after this exhausting battle. But how tired are they exactly? Let's take a look.

Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
Energy: 13
Actions: Struggle Bug ~ Chill ~ Venom Shock

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 23
Energy: 26
Actions: Flamethrower ~ Morning Sun ~ Chill

Without a Substitute to hide behind, Marcia takes some precaution in firing off a low buzzing noise, a Struggle Bug! Now with a loathing for the move, Quartz retaliates with Flamethrower.

Marcia then whips out some shades and a deck chair and Chills for a while, restoring 12% Energy! Seeing that it's time to take a break, Quartz uses Morning Sun to restore 25HP!

After that quick truce, events seem to replay from last round, with Marcia firing off yet another powerful Venom Shock, while Quartz takes it like a man and Chills.

Having enjoyed a lucky immunity from those dastardly alloys, Marcia is shocked as a Blue Alloy appears and deals 10HP damage!

So both battlers survive to fight another day! Here's the detailed breakdown:
Rolf

Venonat [Marcia] (F)
HP: 15

Kaxtar

Togepi [Quartz] (M)
HP: 17
Energy: 17

Rolf, please order.

Use a flamethrower on the venom shock before it hits you to burn it up and inflict damage on Venonat. Use another flamethrower to do the same thing for the next two actions. However this turns out, gg Rolf!

Alchemator

Last night I tossed and turned trying to think of how I might ref this. It's certainly a difficult situation, and I really couldn't think what to do. At last, I reached a conclusion. It goes like this:

Marcia used Venom Shock! Quartz fainted!

Rolf wins!

Kaxtar: 2 Trainer Counters
Quartz: 1 MC/DC/EC counter

Rolf: 2 Trainer Counters
Marcia: 1 KO/MC/DC/EC counter

Alch: 1 Ref counter. Thanks!

That's a little disappointing, but thanks for thinking about the situation. You were right; I lost turn 1 with the mis-play with the sub. Either way, it was still a good battle, gg rolf and thanks for reffing Alch! We for sure need a re-match sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)