Roselia (GP 2/2)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Roselia's good defensive typing and high Special Defense combined with Eviolite allow it to become a decent special wall, able to switch into Pokemon such as Haunter, and make Roselia into one of the best Water, Grass, and Electric checks in the tier. It also has a strong offensive presence, as it has a respectable Special Attack stat and STAB combination that hits the entire relevant metagame for at least neutral damage. Roselia has access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and its Poison typing allows it to absorb the opposing team's Toxic Spikes. Although it receives competition from other Spikes users, Roselia's niche comes in its longevity along with its high special bulk. Its wide range of support moves, such as Sleep Powder and Synthesis, increases its defensive potential, and its ability, Natural Cure, allows it to absorb status. Unfortunately, Roselia has a low Defense, meaning it has a difficult time checking Pokemon such as Poliwrath, and Roselia's reliance on Eviolite means stray Knock Offs from Pokemon such as Simisage greatly cripple it. Roselia's typing can also hinder it, granting it several weaknesses which limit its walling capabilities; for example, Water-types can hit it hard and threaten to KO it with Ice Beam.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Synthesis / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Sleep Powder / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
ability: Natural Cure
item: Eviolite
evs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain hits hard and recovers HP, helping Roselia check Water-types. Sludge Bomb is a stronger STAB move and provides good neutral coverage, hitting Pokemon that resists Grass, such as Tangela and Ninetales. Synthesis helps Roselia switch in to check special attackers and prevents it from being worn down too quickly but has a low PP and canthus be stalled out. Spikes is a valuable asset to any team, as it weakens the opponent's Pokemon every time they switch in, which is especially useful because Roselia forces many switches. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins by immobilizing them, allowing Roselia to set up Spikes or damage the foe with its STAB moves. Toxic Spikes also wears the opponent's team down and allows teammates to stall bulky foes out. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to KO baited Probopass and Pawniard, two common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Roselia to hit as hard as possible. 96 Speed EVs let Roselia beat maximum invested base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Marowak and Golem. The remaining EVs go in HP to increase its bulk, which is backed up by Eviolite. Natural Cure is its most relevant ability, allowing it to freely take Scalds and other status moves.

Usage Tips
========

Roselia should be switched in against weaker special attackers and ones which it has a type advantage over, such as Pelipper and Tangela, but if not running Synthesis, Roselia should try to not take too much damage. When in, Roselia should either set up entry hazards or deal damage depending on its team's priorities, but if the opponent has a Pokemon such as Lickilicky or Probopass which can switch in and wall Roselia, it should either set up entry hazards on the switch or put them to sleep. Roselia is best used early- and mid-game to set up entry hazards or check strong attackers, but it can be saved at high health for late-game if the opponent has Pokemon such as Rain Dance Poliwrath, which Roselia needs to be at high health to check.

Team Options
========

Roselia fits best on offensive teams which need switch-ins to powerful special attackers such as Raichu and contain Pokemon which appreciate entry hazards. Fighting-types such as Machoke and Poliwrath beat Steel-types that wall Roselia, and in return, Roselia beats Tangela, which those Pokemon have trouble with. Water- and Rock-types such as Simipour and Carracosta both beat Fire-types; Water-types also check Ice-types and appreciate the removal of Grass- and Water-types, and Rock-types beat Flying-types and enjoy Roselia's ability to check Water- and Ground-types. Stealth Rock, from setters such as Golem and Piloswine, works well with Spikes, increasing the amount of damage the opponent's Pokemon take when switching in. Dark- and Ghost-types such as Mightyena and Misdreavus also check Psychic-types. Ghost-types are particularly appreciated, as they can block Rapid Spin. Steel-types such as Probopass check Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types and can set up Stealth Rock. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate, as it can deter the use of Defog, and in return Roselia beats bulky Water-types.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Giga Drain / Toxic Spikes
evs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
nature: Calm

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes constantly weakens the opponent's team, damaging Pokemon that try to switch in on Roselia. Synthesis is crucial to let Roselia consistently switch into special attackers. Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types and Togetic super effectively while also hitting Flying- and Fire-types for neutral damage, and Giga Drain provides some recovery and hits Water-types for super effective damage. Toxic Spikes wears down the opponent's team, which is helpful for stalling on defensively based teams. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins and provides more opportunities to set up Spikes.

Set Details
========

The EV spread provides decent mixed bulk combined with Eviolite and allows Roselia to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Poliwrath with Stealth Rock most of the time without wasting too many EVs, while always avoiding the 2HKO from Zebstrika's Overheat. Maximum Special Defense EVs can be used to more effectively check special attackers, but with increasing investment, Roselia's Special Defense increases at a slower rate. A more physically defensive spread can also be used to take on Pokemon such as Leafeon with more ease, but many physical attackers can beat Roselia anyway. 96 Speed EVs can be used to let Roselia outspeed base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Golem and Armaldo, but running those EVs takes away a noticeable amount of bulk. Natural Cure allows Roselia to absorb status and prevents it from being worn down too much from Scald burns.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its decent bulk and typing, Roselia is a premier switch-in to special attackers such as Raichu and Simipour and can check physical attackers such as Leafeon, but it has to be careful of taking too much damage, due to Synthesis's low PP. Roselia's main priority is to set up entry hazards, which it can easily do on predicted switches, but if the opponent has ways to remove entry hazards, getting off damage might be more helpful. Setting up Spikes is preferred if the opponent has a Poison-type, as they can absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in. Roselia should be wary about switching into Pokemon that might carry a move to beat Roselia, such as Knock Off Simisage and Simipour.

Team Options
========

Roselia is better used on defensively based teams, which appreciate entry hazards and the checking of special attackers, but it can work on offensively based ones as a defensive switch-in to select foes. Poliwrath is a good teammate, as it checks Fire- and Ice-types, can take a Knock Off and other physical hits, and takes advantage of Roselia's entry hazards with Circle Throw. In return, Roselia beats Electric-, Fairy-, and Grass-types. Other Water-types such as Carracosta and Simipour can also beat Ice- and Fire-types. The former is a particularly good teammate, as it provides Stealth Rock and can check Flying-types. Roselia appreciates Stealth Rock, as it works well with Spikes, so users such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make for decent teammates. Steel-types such as Probopass and Klang beat Ice-, Flying-, and Psychic-types and appreciate the removal of Water-types. Ghost-types such as Misdreavus check Psychic-types and function as spinblockers to keep Roselia's entry hazards on the field.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rest works well with Natural Cure, provides more recovery, has more PP than Synthesis, and works better on sand and hail teams, but it forces Roselia to switch out. Aromatherapy provides support for teammates, but Roselia lacks a free moveslot for it. Leach Seed can wear down switch-ins and provide Roselia with passive recovery; however, Roselia already has recovery and would prefer to set up entry hazards. Stun Spore allows Roselia to cripple switch-ins such as Ninetales. Leaf Storm is an option over Giga Drain for a largely increased power output, but it also forces Roselia to switch out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Type Advantage**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash resist Giga Drain and can take a Sludge Bomb and retaliate back with their Fire-type STAB moves or use Roselia as setup fodder. Flying-types such Dodrio and Jumpluff can revenge kill Roselia, but most offensive ones do not have the bulk to take a Sludge Bomb. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Kadabra can set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds on Roselia and can deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Ice-types such as Articuno and Regice can KO Roselia with their STAB moves and can easily take a hit or use Roselia as setup fodder.

**Physical Attackers**: Due to its low physical bulk, Roselia is easily revenge killed by strong attackers such as Stoutland and Purugly. Ursaring can force Roselia out and set up a Swords Dance, and it can survive a weak hit if necessary.

**Special Walls**: Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky can easily stall Roselia out of Synthesis PP and slowly KO it. Machoke can set up Bulk Ups on Roselia, and it can get an Attack boost from status and OHKO Roselia with a boosted hit.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off severely weakens Roselia's ability to take hits, allowing Pokemon such as Life Orb Raichu to 2HKO it when they otherwise couldn't. Although Roselia can force switches against common users, Pokemon such as Simisage can surprise Roselia with Knock Off on the switch in.

**Steel-types**: Steel-type Pokemon such as Probopass can easily take any hit from Roselia and can set up entry hazards or wear it down with repeated hits. Pawniard can set up Swords Dances on Roselia, while Klang can freely Shift Gear and does not worry about Sleep Powder.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Defog users such as Swanna and Pelipper are not affected by Roselia's entry hazards and have a type advantage over Roselia, while Rapid Spin users such as Torkoal and Armaldo either have a type advantage over Roselia or access to Knock Off to cripple it. Poison-types such as Arbok and Roselia can absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in, and the latter can use Roselia as setup fodder.

Last edited by a moderator:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think the second set should be Spikes / Synthesis / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain, with sleep and TSpike in moves. For a lot of teams that want to use rose, it needs to be able to check all of: Electric-types including Zebstrika, Water-types, Grass-types, and Togetic. Sacrificing one of the STABs means it can no longer check/counter those. Sleep and TSpikes should just be extra benefits if Roselia's team can afford it.

Aromatherapy in OO, it's a cool option that I've used before if it can afford the space.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the second set should be Spikes / Synthesis / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain, with sleep and TSpike in moves. For a lot of teams that want to use rose, it needs to be able to check all of: Electric-types including Zebstrika, Water-types, Grass-types, and Togetic. Sacrificing one of the STABs means it can no longer check/counter those. Sleep and TSpikes should just be extra benefits if Roselia's team can afford it.

Aromatherapy in OO, it's a cool option that I've used before if it can afford the space.
I definitely agree that running a dual STAB should be an option but i really dont like the idea of un slashing sleep powder as both it and tspik have there own uses on specfic teams as you say (tspikes is more specific so i deslashed)
Im not totally against it but some more qc input would be nice

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- Roselia is used to check special waters and grasses as well, so note that as one of its secondary roles

Offensive
########
- First move shouldn't have slashes. Since this is offensive anyways, move Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb first.

Moves
========
- You know the drill, order this to match set

Defensive
########
- Spikes and Synthesis first, they represent its role best.

Checks & Counters
########
- I would say Defog and maybe Rapid Spinners should get a mention, they remove the lasting effects of Roselia, which are its hazards.

do this and
qc approved
1/3

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Anty

Overview
########
When you talk about Roselia's typing, also mention the fact it makes Roselia a good Toxic Spikes absorber.
Mention Roselia's ability, Natural Cure, as it makes it a decent status absorber.
Well Roselia doesn't really fit into every playstyle as in hyper offensive teams it gets competition from other spikes setters, mention that along with niches and reasoning for why Roselia it's unique and preferred in other playstyles, while also saying when and why it could be outclassed on hyper offense.

Offensive
Moves
========
I would talk more about Sludge Bomb, as it's one of the main reason that makes Roselia a valid check to Grass-types.
Synthesis doesn't really help Roselia switching in on attacks, it rather lets Roselia switch in constantly and with more freedom, as it has to worry less about being worn down.
Hidden Power Fighting isn't really that common and not worth a mention in moves imo, as other moves are nearly fundamental, I would move to OO but you can keep it there if you really want.

Usage Tips
========
Mention that Roselia should be wary to not be switching into Knock Off users.
Even if Roselia runs Synthesis, it should be careful to not taking too many damage, as it has few pps, add this to defensive too.
Mention when it's better setting up an entry hazards than another(eg: when opp has a poison type you will prefer to set up spikes rather than toxic spikes), talk about that into the defensive set too.

Team Options
========
Remove banned Pokemon mentions.
When you talk about Dark-types replace Sneasel with Pawniard, as it also deters the use of Defog, that is appreciated by spikes setters such as Roselia.
Mention Pokemon that appreciate spikes support to get important KOs.

Defensive
Moves
========
Same thing, Synthesis doesn't make Roselia a better switch-in into special attackers, it just lets it switch in with more freedom.

Team Options
========
You may talk there too about Dark-types, especially Pawniard.
List Ice- and Fire-types when you talk about Poliwrath and other Water-types.

Politoed isn't that great, I would rather mention someone such as Simipour, which is way better and more common, and gives to the reader a more offensive alternative to Carracosta(I think you were talking about Bulky Costa there).

Other Options
########
Beef up descriptions and add more details in general, I'm confident you will do into the write up though, just making sure.

Checks & Counters
########
Poison-types deserve a mention.

Anty

let's drop
Anty

Overview
########
When you talk about Roselia's typing, also mention the fact it makes Roselia a good Toxic Spikes absorber.
Mention Roselia's ability, Natural Cure, as it makes it a decent status absorber.
Well Roselia doesn't really fit into every playstyle as in hyper offensive teams it gets competition from other spikes setters, mention that along with niches and reasoning for why Roselia it's unique and preferred in other playstyles, while also saying when and why it could be outclassed on hyper offense.

Offensive
Moves
========
I would talk more about Sludge Bomb, as it's one of the main reason that makes Roselia a valid check to Grass-types.
Synthesis doesn't really help Roselia switching in on attacks, it rather lets Roselia switch in constantly and with more freedom, as it has to worry less about being worn down.
Hidden Power Fighting isn't really that common and not worth a mention in moves imo, as other moves are nearly fundamental, I would move to OO but you can keep it there if you really want.

Usage Tips
========
Mention that Roselia should be wary to not be switching into Knock Off users.
Even if Roselia runs Synthesis, it should be careful to not taking too many damage, as it has few pps, add this to defensive too.
Mention when it's better setting up an entry hazards than another(eg: when opp has a poison type you will prefer to set up spikes rather than toxic spikes), talk about that into the defensive set too.

Team Options
========
Remove banned Pokemon mentions.
When you talk about Dark-types replace Sneasel with Pawniard, as it also deters the use of Defog, that is appreciated by spikes setters such as Roselia.
Mention Pokemon that appreciate spikes support to get important KOs.

Defensive
Moves
========
Same thing, Synthesis doesn't make Roselia a better switch-in into special attackers, it just lets it switch in with more freedom.

Team Options
========
You may talk there too about Dark-types, especially Pawniard.
List Ice- and Fire-types when you talk about Poliwrath and other Water-types.

Politoed isn't that great, I would rather mention someone such as Simipour, which is way better and more common, and gives to the reader a more offensive alternative to Carracosta(I think you were talking about Bulky Costa there).

Other Options
########
Beef up descriptions and add more details in general, I'm confident you will do into the write up though, just making sure.

Checks & Counters
########
Poison-types deserve a mention.
I disagree about the part concerning HO, as roselia is nice when using a lead rocker (monferno/barbaracle) while providing a solid check to water types (particularly rain dance poli) which gives it problem. I also dont want to remove HP Fighting as it is really nice to support pokes like missy who have problems with probo (and dont want to change moves). The spike thing is only relevant on bulky set as you arent running both spikes on offensive. Synthesis does help rose switch in as without it, rose cant switch in. I dont think i need to give examples of pokes which team mates beat, as it doesnt add much just clutters. OO is in as much detail that it will be when i write it up, just in incomplete terms.

I did everything else (added poison types to hazard control since it fits there the best)

I used 96 Speed on defensive with max HP and rest in defense and it was pretty nice.
I also think that sleep powder isn't good on defensive at all because most of the time defensive teams can't take advantage of sleep at all and would rather status differently opposing Pokemon so I would replace it with Toxic Spikes.
In ant case you should summarize slashes with

Defensive
########

Because the way they are organized now is pretty dumb and implies double giga drain

Anty

let's drop
I used 96 Speed on defensive with max HP and rest in defense and it was pretty nice.
I also think that sleep powder isn't good on defensive at all because most of the time defensive teams can't take advantage of sleep at all and would rather status differently opposing Pokemon so I would replace it with Toxic Spikes.
In ant case you should summarize slashes with

Defensive
########

Because the way they are organized now is pretty dumb and implies double giga drain
Yeah those slashes make more sense esp in a meta with a lack of grounded poison types, and sleep is bad w/ tspkies

I will mention speed EVs in set details

• SpA > SAtk
  • i'd maybe mention sand in rest mention, because it's a lot better inside sand
  • in c&c last point, pelipper only has a chance w/ air slash because offensive rose can hurt it a lot w/ sludge bomb
  • nasty plot beheeyem actually isn't on the analysis and specs is considered "standard" so might wanna remove the mention of psychic-types using np
just some stuff i noticed

Anty

let's drop
  • SpA > SAtk
  • i'd maybe mention sand in rest mention, because it's a lot better inside sand
  • in c&c last point, pelipper only has a chance w/ air slash because offensive rose can hurt it a lot w/ sludge bomb
  • nasty plot beheeyem actually isn't on the analysis and specs is considered "standard" so might wanna remove the mention of psychic-types using np
just some stuff i noticed
ty for the spa chatch, i dont think sand is relevant enough for it to be mentioned in moves, c&c regards both sets, and stuff doesnt have to be on the analysis to mention in c&c (offensive nasty plot isnt bad), im p sure bulk up machoke wont get an analysis but its still a viable set

I'd talk more about offensive in the overview since it's the first set

I think Leaf Storm is moves-worthy but if you disagree you can leave it in oo (also it always misses ;_;)

i'd slash tspikes in the third slot, it seems counterintuitive to use it with sleep but i've never really found myself in a situation where i needed to sleep something but it was already poisoned.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anty

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Roselia's good defensive typing and its high Special Defense combined with Eviolite allows it to become a decent special wall, being able to switch into Pokemon such as Haunter, and makes Roselia into one of the best Water, Grass, and Electric checks in the tier. It also has a strong offensive presence, as it has a respectable Special Attack stat and a dual STAB combination that hits the entire relevant metagame for at least neutral damage. Roselia has access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and its Poison typing allows it to absorb the opposing teams Toxic Spikes. Although it receives competition from other Spikes users, Roselia's niche comes in its survivability along with its high special bulk. Its wide range of support moves, such as Sleep Powder and Synthesis, increases its defensive potential, and its ability, Natural Cure, allows it to absorb status. Unfortunately, Roselia has a low physical Defense, (AC) meaning it has a difficult time in checking Pokemon such as Poliwrath, and Roselia's reliance on Eviolite means stray Knock Offs from Pokemon such as Simisage greatly cripple it. Roselia's typing can also hinder it, granting it several weaknesses which limit its walling capabilities; (SC) for example Water-types can hit it hard and threaten to KO it with Ice Beam.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Giga Drain is a STAB move that hits hard and recovers HP, while helping Roselia check Water-types. Sludge Bomb is a stronger STAB move and provides good neutral coverage, hitting Grass- and Poison-types such as Tangela and Ninetales. Ninetales???? Synthesis helps Roselia switch in or check special attackers and prevents it from being worn down too quickly, but has a low PP and so can be stalled out. Spikes is a valuable asset to any team as it weakens the opponent's Pokemon every time they switch in, which is especially useful as Roselia forces many switches. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins by immobilising what ever it hits, allowing Roselia to set up Spikes or damage the opponent with its STAB moves. Toxic Spikes also wears the opponent down and allows teammates to stall bulky opponents out. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to bait in KO baited Probopass and Pawniard, two common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Roselia to hit as hard as possible. 96 Speed EVs let Roselia lets it beat maximum invested base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Marowak and Golem. The remaining EVs go in HP to increase its bulk, which is backed up by Eviolite. Natural Cure is its most relevant ability, allowing it to freely take Scalds and other status moves.

Usage Tips
========

Roselia should be switched in on against weaker special attackers and ones which it has a type advantage over, such as Pelipper and Tangela, but if not running Synthesis, Roselia should try to not take too much damage. When in, Roselia should either get up entry hazards or deal damage depending on its team's priorities, but if the opponent has a Pokemon such as Lickilicky or Probopass which can switch in and wall Roselia, it should either set up entry hazards on the switch in or put them to sleep. Roselia is best used early- and mid-game to set up entry hazards or check strong attackers, but it can be saved at high health for late-game if the opponent has Pokemon such as Rain Dance Poliwrath, which Roselia needs to be at high health to check.

Team Options
========

Roselia fits best on offensive teams which need switch-ins to powerful special attackers such as Raichu, and contain Pokemon which appreciate entry hazards. Fighting-types such as Machoke and Poliwrath beat Steel-types that wall Roselia, and in return, Roselia beats Tangela which those Pokemon have trouble with. Water- and Rock-types such as Simipour and Carracosta both beat Fire-types, while Water-types also check Ice-types and appreciate the removal of Grass- and Water-types, and Rock-types beat Flying-types, (RC) and enjoy Roselia's ability to check Water- and Ground-types. Stealth Rock, from setters such as Golem and Piloswine, works well with Spikes, increasing the amount of damage the opponent's Pokemon takes when switching in. Dark- and Ghost-types such as Mightyena and Misdreavus also check Psychic-types. Ghost-types are particularly appreciated as they can block Rapid Spin, and Pawniard deters use of Defog due to Defiant. Steel-types such as Probopass check Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, and can set up Stealth Rock. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate as it can deter the use of Defog, and in return Roselia beats bulky Water-types.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes constantly weakens the opponent, crippling damaging 'crippled' is more associated w/ status so Pokemon that try to switch in on Roselia. Synthesis is crucial to let Roselia consistently switch into special attackers. Giga Drain prevents Roselia from being setup fodder, provides some recovery, and hits Water-types for super effective damage, while and Sludge Bomb is stronger and hits Grass-types and Togetic super effectively while also hitting Flying- and Fire-types for neutral damage. Toxic Spikes wears down the opponent's team, (AC) which is helpful for stalling on defensive based teams. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins and provides more opportunities to set up Spikes.

Set Details
========

The EV spread provides decent mixed bulk combined with Eviolite and allows Roselia to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Poliwrath with Stealth Rocks most of the time, (RC) without wasting too many EVs, while always avoiding the 2HKO from Zebstrika's Overheat. Maximum Special Defense EVs can be used to more effectively check special attackers, but with more investment, the EVs make less of an impact. Can you explain this a bit? I don't understand what you're saying A more physically defensive spread can also be used to take on Pokemon such as Leafeon with more ease, but many physical attackers can beat it Roselia one-on-one anyway. 96 Speed EVs can be used to let Roselia outspeed base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Golem and Armaldo, but takes away a noticeable amount of bulk. Natural Cure allows Roselia to absorb status, and prevents it from being worn down too much from Scald burns.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its decent bulk and typing, Roselia is a premier switch-in to special attackers such as Raichu and Simipour, and can check physical attackers such as Leafeon, but it has to be careful of taking too much damage due to Synthesis's low PP. Its Roselia's main priority is to get up entry hazards, which it can easily do on predicted switches outs, but if the opponent has ways to remove entry hazards, getting off damage may might be more helpful. Setting up Spikes is preferred if the opponent if the opponent has a Poison-type as they can absorb Toxic Spikes on upon switching in. Roselia should be wary about switching into Pokemon who that might carry a move to beat Roselia, such as Knock Off Simisage and Simipour.

Team Options
========

Roselia is better used on defensively based teams, which appreciate entry hazards and the checking of special attackers, but it can work on offensively based ones as a defensive switch-in to select weaknesses. Poliwrath is a good teammate as it checks Fire- and Ice-types, can take a Knock Off and other physical hits, and abuses Roselia's entry hazards with Cricle Throw. (period) and In return, Roselia beats Electric-, Fairy-, and Grass-types. Other Water-types such as Carracosta and Simipour, (RC) can also beat Ice- and Fire-types. The former is a particularly good teammate as it provides Stealth Rock and can check Flying-types. Roselia appreciates Stealth Rock as it works well with Spikes, so users such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make decent teammates. Steel-types such as Probopass and Klang beat Ice-, Flying-, (AC) and Psychic-types, and appreciate the removal of Water-types. Ghost-types such as Misdreavus check Psychic-types and function as spinblockers to keep Roselia's hazards on the field.

Other Options
########

Rest works well with Natural Cure and provides more recovery, has more PP than Synthesis, and works better on sand and hail teams, but forces Roselia to switch out. (period) and Aromatherapy provides support for teammates, but Roselia lacks a moveslot. Leach Seed can wear down switch-ins and provide Roselia with passive recovery; however, Roselia already has recovery and would prefer to set up entry hazards. (period) and Stun Spore allows Roselia to cripple switch-ins such as Ninetales. Leaf Storm is an option over Giga Drain for a largely increased power output, but it also forces Roselia to switch out.

Checks & Counters
########
space
**Offensive Type Advantage**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash resist Giga Drain and can take a Sludge Bomb then retaliate back with their Fire-type STAB moves or use Roselia as setup fodder. Flying-types such Dodrio and Jumpluff can revenge kill Roselia, but most offensive ones do not have the bulk to take a Sludge Bomb. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Kadabra can set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds on Roselia and can deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Ice-types such as Articuno and Regice can KO Roselia with their STAB moves, and can easily take a hit or use Roselia as setup fodder.

**Physical Attackers**: Due to its low physical bulk, Roselia is easily revenge killed by strong attackers such as Stoutland and Purugly. Ursaring can force Roselia out and set up a Swords Dance, or and can live a weak hit if necessary.

**Special Walls**: Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky can easily stall Roselia out of Synthesis and slowly KO it. Machoke can set up Bulk Ups on Roselia, and can get an Attack boost from status and OHKO it with a boosted hit.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off severely weakens Roselia's ability to take hits, allowing Pokemon such as Life Orb Raichu to 2HKO when they otherwise couldn't. Although Roselia can switch out force switches against common users, Pokemon such as Simisage can surprise Roselia with Knock Off on the switch in.

**Steel-types**: Steel-type Pokemon such as Probopass can easily take any hit from Roselia and can set up entry hazards or wear it down with repeated hits. Pawniard can set up Swords Dances on Roselia, while Klang can freely Shift Gear and does not worry about Sleep Powder.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Defog users such as Swanna and Pelipper are not affected by Roselia's entry hazards and have a type advantage over Roselia, while Rapid Spin users such as Torkoal and Armaldo either have a type advantage over Roselia or have access to Knock Off to which cripples it. Poison-types such as Arbok and Roselia can absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in, and the latter can use Roselia as setup fodder.

1/2

Remember some repeated stuff, such as switch-ins and setup

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
Anty

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Roselia's good defensive typing and its high Special Defense combined with Eviolite allows it to become a decent special wall, being able to switch into Pokemon such as Haunter, and makes Roselia into one of the best Water, Grass, and Electric checks in the tier. It also has a strong offensive presence, as it has a respectable Special Attack stat and a dual STAB combination that hits the entire relevant metagame for at least neutral damage. Roselia has access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and its Poison typing allows it to absorb the opposing teams Toxic Spikes. Although it receives competition from other Spikes users, Roselia's niche comes in its survivability along with its high special bulk. Its wide range of support moves, such as Sleep Powder and Synthesis, increases its defensive potential, and its ability, Natural Cure, allows it to absorb status. Unfortunately, Roselia has a low physical Defense, (AC) meaning it has a difficult time in checking Pokemon such as Poliwrath, and Roselia's reliance on Eviolite means stray Knock Offs from Pokemon such as Simisage greatly cripple it. Roselia's typing can also hinder it, granting it several weaknesses which limit its walling capabilities; (SC) for example Water-types can hit it hard and threaten to KO it with Ice Beam.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Giga Drain is a STAB move that hits hard and recovers HP, while helping Roselia check Water-types. Sludge Bomb is a stronger STAB move and provides good neutral coverage, hitting Grass- and Poison-types such as Tangela and Ninetales. Ninetales???? Synthesis helps Roselia switch in or check special attackers and prevents it from being worn down too quickly, but has a low PP and so can be stalled out. Spikes is a valuable asset to any team as it weakens the opponent's Pokemon every time they switch in, which is especially useful as Roselia forces many switches. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins by immobilising what ever it hits, allowing Roselia to set up Spikes or damage the opponent with its STAB moves. Toxic Spikes also wears the opponent down and allows teammates to stall bulky opponents out. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to bait in KO baited Probopass and Pawniard, two common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Roselia to hit as hard as possible. 96 Speed EVs let Roselia lets it beat maximum invested base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Marowak and Golem. The remaining EVs go in HP to increase its bulk, which is backed up by Eviolite. Natural Cure is its most relevant ability, allowing it to freely take Scalds and other status moves.

Usage Tips
========

Roselia should be switched in on against weaker special attackers and ones which it has a type advantage over, such as Pelipper and Tangela, but if not running Synthesis, Roselia should try to not take too much damage. When in, Roselia should either get up entry hazards or deal damage depending on its team's priorities, but if the opponent has a Pokemon such as Lickilicky or Probopass which can switch in and wall Roselia, it should either set up entry hazards on the switch in or put them to sleep. Roselia is best used early- and mid-game to set up entry hazards or check strong attackers, but it can be saved at high health for late-game if the opponent has Pokemon such as Rain Dance Poliwrath, which Roselia needs to be at high health to check.

Team Options
========

Roselia fits best on offensive teams which need switch-ins to powerful special attackers such as Raichu, and contain Pokemon which appreciate entry hazards. Fighting-types such as Machoke and Poliwrath beat Steel-types that wall Roselia, and in return, Roselia beats Tangela which those Pokemon have trouble with. Water- and Rock-types such as Simipour and Carracosta both beat Fire-types, while Water-types also check Ice-types and appreciate the removal of Grass- and Water-types, and Rock-types beat Flying-types, (RC) and enjoy Roselia's ability to check Water- and Ground-types. Stealth Rock, from setters such as Golem and Piloswine, works well with Spikes, increasing the amount of damage the opponent's Pokemon takes when switching in. Dark- and Ghost-types such as Mightyena and Misdreavus also check Psychic-types. Ghost-types are particularly appreciated as they can block Rapid Spin, and Pawniard deters use of Defog due to Defiant. Steel-types such as Probopass check Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, and can set up Stealth Rock. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate as it can deter the use of Defog, and in return Roselia beats bulky Water-types.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes constantly weakens the opponent, crippling damaging 'crippled' is more associated w/ status so Pokemon that try to switch in on Roselia. Synthesis is crucial to let Roselia consistently switch into special attackers. Giga Drain prevents Roselia from being setup fodder, provides some recovery, and hits Water-types for super effective damage, while and Sludge Bomb is stronger and hits Grass-types and Togetic super effectively while also hitting Flying- and Fire-types for neutral damage. Toxic Spikes wears down the opponent's team, (AC) which is helpful for stalling on defensive based teams. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins and provides more opportunities to set up Spikes.

Set Details
========

The EV spread provides decent mixed bulk combined with Eviolite and allows Roselia to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Poliwrath with Stealth Rocks most of the time, (RC) without wasting too many EVs, while always avoiding the 2HKO from Zebstrika's Overheat. Maximum Special Defense EVs can be used to more effectively check special attackers, but with more investment, the EVs make less of an impact. Can you explain this a bit? I don't understand what you're saying A more physically defensive spread can also be used to take on Pokemon such as Leafeon with more ease, but many physical attackers can beat it Roselia one-on-one anyway. 96 Speed EVs can be used to let Roselia outspeed base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Golem and Armaldo, but takes away a noticeable amount of bulk. Natural Cure allows Roselia to absorb status, and prevents it from being worn down too much from Scald burns.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its decent bulk and typing, Roselia is a premier switch-in to special attackers such as Raichu and Simipour, and can check physical attackers such as Leafeon, but it has to be careful of taking too much damage due to Synthesis's low PP. Its Roselia's main priority is to get up entry hazards, which it can easily do on predicted switches outs, but if the opponent has ways to remove entry hazards, getting off damage may might be more helpful. Setting up Spikes is preferred if the opponent if the opponent has a Poison-type as they can absorb Toxic Spikes on upon switching in. Roselia should be wary about switching into Pokemon who that might carry a move to beat Roselia, such as Knock Off Simisage and Simipour.

Team Options
========

Roselia is better used on defensively based teams, which appreciate entry hazards and the checking of special attackers, but it can work on offensively based ones as a defensive switch-in to select weaknesses. Poliwrath is a good teammate as it checks Fire- and Ice-types, can take a Knock Off and other physical hits, and abuses Roselia's entry hazards with Cricle Throw. (period) and In return, Roselia beats Electric-, Fairy-, and Grass-types. Other Water-types such as Carracosta and Simipour, (RC) can also beat Ice- and Fire-types. The former is a particularly good teammate as it provides Stealth Rock and can check Flying-types. Roselia appreciates Stealth Rock as it works well with Spikes, so users such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make decent teammates. Steel-types such as Probopass and Klang beat Ice-, Flying-, (AC) and Psychic-types, and appreciate the removal of Water-types. Ghost-types such as Misdreavus check Psychic-types and function as spinblockers to keep Roselia's hazards on the field.

Other Options
########

Rest works well with Natural Cure and provides more recovery, has more PP than Synthesis, and works better on sand and hail teams, but forces Roselia to switch out. (period) and Aromatherapy provides support for teammates, but Roselia lacks a moveslot. Leach Seed can wear down switch-ins and provide Roselia with passive recovery; however, Roselia already has recovery and would prefer to set up entry hazards. (period) and Stun Spore allows Roselia to cripple switch-ins such as Ninetales. Leaf Storm is an option over Giga Drain for a largely increased power output, but it also forces Roselia to switch out.

Checks & Counters
########
space
**Offensive Type Advantage**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash resist Giga Drain and can take a Sludge Bomb then retaliate back with their Fire-type STAB moves or use Roselia as setup fodder. Flying-types such Dodrio and Jumpluff can revenge kill Roselia, but most offensive ones do not have the bulk to take a Sludge Bomb. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Kadabra can set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds on Roselia and can deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Ice-types such as Articuno and Regice can KO Roselia with their STAB moves, and can easily take a hit or use Roselia as setup fodder.

**Physical Attackers**: Due to its low physical bulk, Roselia is easily revenge killed by strong attackers such as Stoutland and Purugly. Ursaring can force Roselia out and set up a Swords Dance, or and can live a weak hit if necessary.

**Special Walls**: Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky can easily stall Roselia out of Synthesis and slowly KO it. Machoke can set up Bulk Ups on Roselia, and can get an Attack boost from status and OHKO it with a boosted hit.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off severely weakens Roselia's ability to take hits, allowing Pokemon such as Life Orb Raichu to 2HKO when they otherwise couldn't. Although Roselia can switch out force switches against common users, Pokemon such as Simisage can surprise Roselia with Knock Off on the switch in.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Defog users such as Swanna and Pelipper are not affected by Roselia's entry hazards and have a type advantage over Roselia, while Rapid Spin users such as Torkoal and Armaldo either have a type advantage over Roselia or have access to Knock Off to which cripples it. Poison-types such as Arbok and Roselia can absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in, and the latter can use Roselia as setup fodder.

1/2

Remember some repeated stuff, such as switch-ins and setup
Thanks again! Implemented

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

2/2

Overview
########

Roselia's good defensive typing and high Special Defense combined with Eviolite allow it to become a decent special wall, able to switch into Pokemon such as Haunter, and make Roselia into one of the best Water, Grass, and Electric checks in the tier. It also has a strong offensive presence, as it has a respectable Special Attack stat and STAB combination that hits the entire relevant metagame for at least neutral damage. Roselia has access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and its Poison typing allows it to absorb the opposing team(apostrophe)s Toxic Spikes. Although it receives competition from other Spikes users, Roselia's niche comes in its survivability (if you're referring to its ability to heal with Giga Drain/Synthesis, change this to "longevity") along with its high special bulk. Its wide range of support moves, such as Sleep Powder and Synthesis, increases its defensive potential, and its ability, Natural Cure, (remove commas) allows it to absorb status. Unfortunately, Roselia has a low physical Defense, meaning it has a difficult time checking Pokemon such as Poliwrath, and Roselia's reliance on Eviolite means stray Knock Offs from Pokemon such as Simisage greatly cripple it. Roselia's typing can also hinder it, granting it several weaknesses which limit its walling capabilities; for example(comma) Water-types can hit it hard and threaten to KO it with Ice Beam.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Giga Drain hits hard and recovers HP, helping Roselia check Water-types. Sludge Bomb is a stronger STAB move and provides good neutral coverage, hitting Pokemon that resist Grass resists such as Tangela and Ninetales. Synthesis helps Roselia switch in or to check special attackers and prevents it from being worn down too quickly, (remove comma) but has a low PP and so can thus be stalled out. Spikes is a valuable asset to any team(comma) as it weakens the opponent's Pokemon every time they switch in, which is especially useful because as Roselia forces many switches. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins by immobilizing (s to z) them what ever it hits, allowing Roselia to set up Spikes or damage the opponent foe with its STAB moves. Toxic Spikes also wears the opponent's team down and allows teammates to stall bulky foes opponents out. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to KO baited Probopass and Pawniard, two common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Roselia to hit as hard as possible. 96 Speed EVs let Roselia beat maximum invested base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Marowak and Golem. The remaining EVs go in HP to increase its bulk, which is backed up by Eviolite. Natural Cure is its most relevant ability, allowing it to freely take Scalds and other status moves.

Usage Tips
========

Roselia should be switched in against weaker special attackers and ones which it has a type advantage over, such as Pelipper and Tangela, but if not running Synthesis, Roselia should try to not take too much damage. When in, Roselia should either get set up entry hazards or deal damage depending on its team's priorities, but if the opponent has a Pokemon such as Lickilicky or Probopass which can switch in and wall Roselia, it should either set up entry hazards on the switch or put them to sleep. Roselia is best used early- and mid-game to set up entry hazards or check strong attackers, but it can be saved at high health for late-game if the opponent has Pokemon such as Rain Dance Poliwrath, which Roselia needs to be at high health to check.

Team Options
========

Roselia fits best on offensive teams which need switch-ins to powerful special attackers such as Raichu, (remove comma) and contain Pokemon which appreciate entry hazards. Fighting-types such as Machoke and Poliwrath beat Steel-types that wall Roselia, and in return, Roselia beats Tangela(comma) which those Pokemon have trouble with. Water- and Rock-types such as Simipour and Carracosta both beat Fire-types, while(semicolon) Water-types also check Ice-types and appreciate the removal of Grass- and Water-types, and Rock-types beat Flying-types and enjoy Roselia's ability to check Water- and Ground-types. Stealth Rock, from setters such as Golem and Piloswine, works well with Spikes, increasing the amount of damage the opponent's Pokemon take when switching in. Dark- and Ghost-types such as Mightyena and Misdreavus also check Psychic-types. Ghost-types are particularly appreciated(comma) as they can block Rapid Spin. Steel-types such as Probopass check Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, (remove comma) and can set up Stealth Rock. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate(comma) as it can deter the use of Defog, and in return Roselia beats bulky Water-types.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes constantly weakens the opponent's team, damaging Pokemon that try to switch in on Roselia. Synthesis is crucial to let Roselia consistently switch into special attackers. Giga Drain prevents Roselia from being setup fodder, provides some recovery, and hits Water-types for super effective damage, (Sludge Bomb is slashed before Giga Drain, so either fix the order here or on the set) and Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types and Togetic super effectively while also hitting Flying- and Fire-types for neutral damage. Toxic Spikes wears down the opponent's team, which is helpful for stalling on defensively based teams. Sleep Powder cripples switch-ins and provides more opportunities to set up Spikes.

Set Details
========

The EV spread provides decent mixed bulk combined with Eviolite and allows Roselia to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Poliwrath with Stealth Rock most of the time without wasting too many EVs, while always avoiding the 2HKO from Zebstrika's Overheat. Maximum Special Defense EVs can be used to more effectively check special attackers, but with increasing investment, Roselia's Special Defense increases at a slower rate. A more physically defensive spread can also be used to take on Pokemon such as Leafeon with more ease, but many physical attackers can beat Roselia anyway. 96 Speed EVs can be used to let Roselia outspeed base 45 Speed Pokemon such as Golem and Armaldo, but running those EVs takes away a noticeable amount of bulk. Natural Cure allows Roselia to absorb status, (remove comma) and prevents it from being worn down too much from Scald burns.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its decent bulk and typing, Roselia is a premier switch-in to special attackers such as Raichu and Simipour, (remove comma) and can check physical attackers such as Leafeon, but it has to be careful of taking too much damage(comma) due to Synthesis's low PP. Roselia's main priority is to get set up entry hazards, which it can easily do on predicted switches, but if the opponent has ways to remove entry hazards, getting off damage might be more helpful. Setting up Spikes is preferred if the opponent has a Poison-type(comma) as they can absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in. Roselia should be wary about switching into Pokemon that might carry a move to beat Roselia, such as Knock Off Simisage and Simipour.

Team Options
========

Roselia is better used on defensively based teams, which appreciate entry hazards and the checking of special attackers, but it can work on offensively based ones as a defensive switch-in to select foes weaknesses. Poliwrath is a good teammate(comma) as it checks Fire- and Ice-types, can take a Knock Off and other physical hits, and abuses takes advantage of Roselia's entry hazards with Cricle Circle Throw. In return, Roselia beats Electric-, Fairy-, and Grass-types. Other Water-types such as Carracosta and Simipour can also beat Ice- and Fire-types. The former is a particularly good teammate(comma) as it provides Stealth Rock and can check Flying-types. Roselia appreciates Stealth Rock(comma) as it works well with Spikes, so users such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make for decent teammates. Steel-types such as Probopass and Klang beat Ice-, Flying-, and Psychic-types, (remove comma) and appreciate the removal of Water-types. Ghost-types such as Misdreavus check Psychic-types and function as spinblockers to keep Roselia's entry hazards on the field.

Other Options
########

Rest works well with Natural Cure(comma) and provides more recovery, has more PP than Synthesis, and works better on sand and hail teams, but it forces Roselia to switch out. Aromatherapy provides support for teammates, but Roselia lacks a free moveslot for it. Leach Seed can wear down switch-ins and provide Roselia with passive recovery; however, Roselia already has recovery and would prefer to set up entry hazards. Stun Spore allows Roselia to cripple switch-ins such as Ninetales. Leaf Storm is an option over Giga Drain for a largely increased power output, but it also forces Roselia to switch out.

Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Type Advantage**: Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash resist Giga Drain and can take a Sludge Bomb and then retaliate back with their Fire-type STAB moves or use Roselia as setup fodder. Flying-types such Dodrio and Jumpluff can revenge kill Roselia, but most offensive ones do not have the bulk to take a Sludge Bomb. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Kadabra can set up Nasty Plots or Calm Minds on Roselia and can deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Ice-types such as Articuno and Regice can KO Roselia with their STAB moves, (remove comma) and can easily take a hit or use Roselia as setup fodder.

**Physical Attackers**: Due to its low physical bulk, Roselia is easily revenge killed by strong attackers such as Stoutland and Purugly. Ursaring can force Roselia out and set up a Swords Dance, and it can survive live a weak hit if necessary.

**Special Walls**: Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky can easily stall Roselia out of Synthesis PP and slowly KO it. Machoke can set up Bulk Ups on Roselia, and it can get an Attack boost from status and OHKO it Roselia with a boosted hit.

**Knock Off**: Knock Off severely weakens Roselia's ability to take hits, allowing Pokemon such as Life Orb Raichu to 2HKO it when they otherwise couldn't. Although Roselia can force switches against common users, Pokemon such as Simisage can surprise Roselia with Knock Off on the switch in.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Defog users such as Swanna and Pelipper are not affected by Roselia's entry hazards and have a type advantage over Roselia, while Rapid Spin users such as Torkoal and Armaldo either have a type advantage over Roselia or have access to Knock Off to cripple it. Poison-types such as Arbok and Roselia can absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in, and the latter can use Roselia as setup fodder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)