1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Roserade - BW2 Revamp [QC 3/3][GP 2/2] (See Post #51 for details)

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by Arcticblast, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

This overview just doesn't cut it for me. It somehow manages to oversell and undersell Roserade in the same paragraph. Mentioning Roserade's lack of a Pursuit weakness barely matters when you consider that it's not even in the same league of physical defense as Celebi, and will probably die to most Pursuits anyway. The first sentence shouldn't be saying "on paper roserade is bad" because if someone reads that first sentence and goes "oh well then lets not use roserade" the whole thing is for naught. In general, the whole overview needs reworking. The rest is solid, and just needs a bit of touchup, but there are fundamental flaws in the overview that I can't overlook.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4514558&postcount=1

Read this for an idea of how to structure the new overview, and let me know when it's ready. If you need a hand, feel free to hit me up on IRC.
  2. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I've also got a few things that need addressing before this goes up.

Landorus can't be counted on to switch into Heatran from Roserade (who you risk taking damage and a possible burn from Lava Plume, or heavy damage from a Fire Blast). If you can't think of a replacement, I would remove this mention.

This is wrong i'm afraid, base 90 Speed is quite mediocre on offensive Pokemon by OU standards.

This is both unnecessary and untrue (Exeggutor is crying). It's a good segue into your next sentence, but you can get away with mentioning that Roserade's Leaf Storms are fairly strong, but easily abused. (since grass-type as an offensive STAB is unimpressive in OU)

Heatran needs a much larger mention in the counters section. In fact, it should be listed first (since its the best counter to Roserade; it has nothing to fear except the extremely rare HP ground). I feel like mentioning Lucario in the opening sentence is unnecessary since ExtremeSpeed doesn't come close to OHKOing any of Roserades sets. Your Volcarona mention is a bit vague; are you trying to say that Volcarona can't switch into Sludge Bomb if Stealth Rock is up? On the other hand, there's no need to mention that Dugtrio can trap and kill a weakened Pokemon because it can do that to pretty much every non-flying/levitate user that lack a ground resist in OU.

I know this sounds nitpicky, but I figured now would be the best time to address mistakes before this analysis is uploaded. Don't worry, everything else is peachy ok!
  3. youngjake93

youngjake93

It probably isn't worth putting this anywhere in the analyses, but I think it's pretty cool that Roserade can actually resist fire attacks after using Water Sport. Then it double resists them in rain. Kind of turns usual switch-ins into favorable match-ups(it even gets weather ball, 150 BP water attack ftw). Not that you would have any trouble disposing of fire types on a rain team haha
  4. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Winner of the Biggest Dork Competition 2014
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Yeah, that isn't something worth putting in the analysis. That's more of an ingame thing. (yes I used Water Sport Roserade in my second run of Diamond)

If you don't mind, SDS, mind if I shoot you a PM with the new overview and PK's changes once everything's done?
  5. Seven Deadly Sins

is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

If you want, though you can just post/edit it here too. It'll need at least 1 gp check.
  6. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

Writing Overview of Roserade for Acticblast:

[box]Once a notorious Toxic Spikes lead in DPP, Roserade struggles to carve a notable niche in BW OU. When it comes to spiking, it must compete with Ferrothorn and Tentacruel, both of which assume this role marvelously. Roserade is also liable to being set-up bait for draconic beings such as Latias, Dragonite with MultiScale, and Kyurem-Black. To top it off, Chlorophyll sweepeers, such as Venusaur, are just more appealing as a special Grass sweeper than Roserade.

Despite losing much of its bluster, Roserade still stands ground in this increasingly hostile metagame. Roserade possess a combination of attributes that allow it to offer some unique service to one's team. For one, Roserade is one of the few mons that possess both Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Combine that with its respectable special defense, ability Natural Cure, and Grass-type resistance to Water and Electric, and you have a hazard-setting specially defensive glue Pokemon that can switch into Volt Switches and Scalds with impunity. Alternatively, it's excellent base 125 SpA and decent base 90 Spe coupled with Sleep Powder and some distinctive coverage moves make for quite a formidable offensive force. Exploit these unique qualities and Roserade would certainly prove itself to be no pushover! [/box]

Approve y/n? We can finally upload this if SDS or PK Gaming can implement this new overview (after grammar check) and PK Gaming's revisions into Arcticblast's analysis.
  7. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Small nitpick, but it is Multiscale not MultiScale. Other than that the overview seems fine!
  8. Seth Vilo

Seth Vilo

Rejoice, Smogonites, for we need to get rid of the Tornadus-T references! Hallelujah!
  9. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Winner of the Biggest Dork Competition 2014
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

ugh yeah Tornadus-T is banned so a lot of this needs to be reworked...

Pocket's overview is good though.
  10. AccidentalGreed

AccidentalGreed HOMERUN, CABRONES
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Don't worry about it. Got ya covered. Modify these if you like; I just simply removed Tornadus-T from the analysis entirely.

11. Seven Deadly Sins

I don't like the beginning of the overview being about how bad it is- the overview should be realistic but not undersell, and the first sentence should be gripping and encourage people to read more. Starting with talking about how Roserade struggles is iffy to me.

I'll be home in about... 5 hours? Get in touch with me when I get on IRC, Pocket, and we can polish that overview.
  12. Seven Deadly Sins

Uploading with this as the overview.

e: Done.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)