Roserade

QC Checks: Audiosurfer, Laurel
GP Checks: Lord Alphose, fleurdyleurse

Overview
########

At a glance, it looks like there is almost no reason to use Roserade in VGC. Amoonguss and Venusaur are both Grass / Poison types that not only see much more use in VGC, but also have a lot of positive traits over Roserade. Amoonguss boasts much greater bulk, a 100% accurate sleep move in Spore, and Rage Powder to redirect moves; Venusaur has increased Speed in sun thanks to Chlorophyll and a bulky Mega evolution to take hits more easily. However, Roserade has plenty of advantages over these two. Firstly, Roserade has a Special Attack stat of 125, meaning it hits harder than both Amoonguss and Venusaur. It also has 90 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Gardevoir, and Chandelure and put them to sleep before they can attack. Its ability, Technician, gives a boost to Hidden Power, giving it a powerful 90 Base Power Hidden Power Fire to hit Steel-types. It also deals with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Politoed very well. However, Roserade does have quite a few flaws. While it isn't necessarily slow, it's not very fast either, and is still outsped by Pokemon such as Charizard, Salamence, and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has quite poor physical bulk, meaning it has trouble taking physical attacks. Lastly, Roserade does have slight four-moveslot syndrome, as it really wants to run Magical Leaf, Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, Sleep Powder, and Protect all on the same set.

Special Attacker
#############
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Magical Leaf / Leaf Storm
move 2: Sludge Bomb / Protect
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Sleep Powder / Protect
ability: Technician
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
======

Magical Leaf is Roserade's main STAB attack, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of Leaf Storm and is more powerful than Giga Drain. It also has the same Base Power as Energy Ball when Technician is factored in, though Magical Leaf has the added bonus of never missing. Leaf Storm is another option for a Grass-type STAB attack, and is guaranteed to OHKO the standard Rotom-W set. However, the Special Attack drop hinders Roserade's performance for the rest of the time it's on the field. Sludge Bomb is a good secondary STAB attack that does great damage to Fairy- and Grass-types such as Gardevoir and Ludicolo. Protect is a very viable option on Roserade, as it helps it avoid spread moves and punishes double targeting. Hidden Power Fire is a great move for Roserade, as it's powerful with a boost from Technician and hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn for super effective damage. It's also a better option against Grass-types that take neutral damage from Sludge Bomb, such as Amoonguss and non-Mega Venusaur. Sleep Powder is a great move in VGC, as it shuts down one of the opponent's Pokemon and is easily spammable due to the lack of Sleep Clause.

Set Details
=========

Life Orb is the item of choice on Roserade, as it boosts its already powerful attacks and helps it distinguish itself from other Grass-types. Technician is an amazing ability that is helpful for boosting the power of Hidden Power Fire, making it from 60 Base Power to 90 Base Power. Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment helps Roserade to be as powerful and fast as possible. A Timid nature further boosts Roserade's Speed stat, though a Modest nature can be used to guarantee an OHKO on standard Rotom-W with Magical Leaf.

Usage Tips
=========

Make sure there's a reason you're using Roserade instead of something like Venusaur or Amoonguss. Roserade's higher Special Attack, Speed, and Technician-boosted Hidden Power Fire are all reasons it may find a spot on your team. Make sure to remember that Roserade isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon, and as such isn't made to take attacks. It is best to bring Roserade when you see a Water-type on your opponent's team, such as Rotom-W or Politoed. It's also wise to not bring Roserade if Fire-, Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-types are common on your opponent's team.

Team Options
============

Pokemon that hate Water-types, such as Talonflame, Chandelure, and Mamoswine all appreciate Roserade's powerful Grass-type STAB attacks. Pokemon such as Garchomp and Mega Mawile also dislike Rotom-W, making Roserade a helpful partner for these Pokemon. Rotom-W and Rotom-H are helpful partners for Roserade, as they can absorb the Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves Roserade hates. Tyranitar also makes a helpful partner, as it can absorb Flying-, Fire-, and Psychic-type attacks for Roserade quite easily.

Other Options
##########

Hidden Power Ice is a nice option for nailing Dragon-types, though the loss of Hidden Power Fire is almost never worth it. Giga Drain can be used to help recover HP, but it is weaker than both Magical Leaf and Leaf Storm and is usually used better by Venusaur, which has better bulk. Weather Ball can be used on rain teams for a powerful Water-type attack, though it isn't very helpful otherwise. Focus Sash is very helpful for being able to survive an attack at full health, as Roserade is frail. However, it has to give up Life Orb in order to do this, and sandstorm damage and priority attacks can easily pick off a 1% Roserade. Choice Scarf and Choice Specs are decent options for hitting faster or harder, respectively, but Roserade is usually outclassed by other Choice item users, such as Gardevoir. Natural Cure is a useful ability for being able to cure status when Roserade switches out, though the loss of Technician means it usually isn't worth it. Hidden Power Rock can be used for Fire- and Flying-types, though most of them outspeed Roserade and Sludge Bomb usually hits these Pokemon hard anyway. Lastly, Wide Lens can be used for a more accurate Sleep Powder, though the loss in Life Orb makes it an inferior option.

Checks & Counters
###############

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame can easily OHKO Roserade with their Flying-type STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Charizard, Rotom-H, and Chandelure can all OHKO Roserade with STAB Fire Blast or Overheat.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Gardevoir can OHKO Roserade with a STAB Psychic-type move.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Mamoswine can OHKO Roserade with their STAB attacks.

**Powerful Attackers**: In general, powerful attackers that outspeed Roserade can take it out with relative ease. This includes Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Salamence, Hydreigon.

Last edited:
Ok, I think this is QC ready!

I feel like Protect should be on the main set somewhere, though I'm not sure where. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them ^.^

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't have Energy Ball as the Grass-STAB of choice. It deals the same damage as Sludge Bomb if you want to hit harder than Giga Drain or don't want the drawbacks of Leaf Storm, and Energy Ball doesn't have a guaranteed OHKO on Rotom-W. I rather have Leaf Storm slashed before it as the main move for its raw power - we are using Roserade for its damage output over Venasuar after all.

252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Rotom-W: 148-174 (94.2 - 110.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

However, it does OHKO with a Modest nature. Modest nature should be slashed alongside Timid for the power boost, with a mention that Modest LO Energy Ball will always OHKO standard 252 HP / 148 SDef Rotom-W

I would slash Protect with both Sleep Powder and Sludge Bomb. It's not that Sleep Powder isn't a good move, rather that it's better done by bulkier Grass-types like Amoonguss and Venasuar - Roserade's selling point over them is its greater offense potential. Roserade can't afford a miss anyways. Sludge Bomb, on the other hand, isn't hitting the most common Grass-types harder than HP Fire, Amoonguss and Venasaur, and it's not needed for two of the most common Fairy-types, Mawile (useless) and Azumarill (Grass-STAB)

AC Focus Sash as Roserade has bad physical bulk and can be OHKOed by super-effective attacks even on the special side like Charizard, Rotom-H, and Gardevoir

Natural Cure should be at least OO. It's the better ability if not running Technician, and helps remove the common burn (if intending to use Roserade to sponge it) as well as TWave and Dark Void neither of which Roserade enjoys.

I wouldn't have Energy Ball as the Grass-STAB of choice. It deals the same damage as Sludge Bomb if you want to hit harder than Giga Drain or don't want the drawbacks of Leaf Storm, and Energy Ball doesn't have a guaranteed OHKO on Rotom-W. I rather have Leaf Storm slashed before it as the main move for its raw power - we are using Roserade for its damage output over Venasuar after all.

252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Rotom-W: 148-174 (94.2 - 110.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

However, it does OHKO with a Modest nature. Modest nature should be slashed alongside Timid for the power boost, with a mention that Modest LO Energy Ball will always OHKO standard 252 HP / 148 SDef Rotom-W

I would slash Protect with both Sleep Powder and Sludge Bomb. It's not that Sleep Powder isn't a good move, rather that it's better done by bulkier Grass-types like Amoonguss and Venasuar - Roserade's selling point over them is its greater offense potential. Roserade can't afford a miss anyways. Sludge Bomb, on the other hand, isn't hitting the most common Grass-types harder than HP Fire, Amoonguss and Venasaur, and it's not needed for two of the most common Fairy-types, Mawile (useless) and Azumarill (Grass-STAB)

AC Focus Sash as Roserade has bad physical bulk and can be OHKOed by super-effective attacks even on the special side like Charizard, Rotom-H, and Gardevoir

Natural Cure should be at least OO. It's the better ability if not running Technician, and helps remove the common burn (if intending to use Roserade to sponge it) as well as TWave and Dark Void neither of which Roserade enjoys.
Ok, I've added everything. I didn't however, make Leaf Storm the main slash. This is because after using Leaf Storm a lot, I ended up hating it and switching for Energy Ball. The main reason it sucks is because of the Special Attack drop, which really hinders Roserade's performance for the rest of the time it's on the field. Combine this with the fact that Roserade has trouble switching in and out due to it's poor bulk, and I really don't feel as though Leaf Storm is worth the first slash. If other people want it, then I'll add it, but for right now I'm just going to keep in as the second slash.

magical leaf can be used to take on the pesky envasion boosting pokemon in vgc. it can be slashed on the main set or be used in oo. its 60 base power is boosted to 90 by technician anyway. hp rock can also be mentioned somewhere to hit fire types that resist roserade's moves bar sludge bomb. weather ball should also be mentioned in oo as it can function well with rain.

magical leaf can be used to take on the pesky envasion boosting pokemon in vgc. it can be slashed on the main set or be used in oo. its 60 base power is boosted to 90 by technician anyway. hp rock can also be mentioned somewhere to hit fire types that resist roserade's moves bar sludge bomb. weather ball should also be mentioned in oo as it can function well with rain.
Wow, a lot of great advise; I'll add it all!

Also I'm going to give Magical Leaf the main slash instead of Energy Ball; they have the same base power, though the fact that Magical Leaf never misses is superior to Energy Ball's chance to lower Special Defense.

LightningLuxray said:
  • Weather Ball can be used on Rain teams for a powerful Water-type attack, though the coverage usually isn't very helpful.
its better if you say this:

• Weather Ball can be used on Rain or Sun teams for a powerful Water- or Fire- type attack, otherwise, it is a waste of a move.

also you should make note of some resist berries that roserade can use, notably occa berry for fire-type moves and coba berry for flying-type moves. you can also slash synthesis somewhere or put it in oo for more staying power.

its better if you say this:

• Weather Ball can be used on Rain or Sun teams for a powerful Water- or Fire- type attack, otherwise, it is a waste of a move.

also you should make note of some resist berries that roserade can use, notably occa berry for fire-type moves and coba berry for flying-type moves. you can also slash synthesis somewhere or put it in oo for more staying power.
Sorry, I'm not going to talk about Weather Ball + Sun because if you're using Sun, you should be using Venusaur.

Also Life Orb is like the reason to use Roserade, as it's power is what differentiates it from Venusaur. So I don't think I'm going to add Coba/Occa Berry. Focus Sash and Choice Scarf/Specs get mentions because Roserade can actually use them more effectively than Venusaur, since Venusaur isn't as fast or powerful, and doesn't usually get OHKOd by attacks.

I will, however, make note of Synthesis. Thanks for the help! :)

atleast put the berries in oo.
also weatherball with water/grass is great coverage, especially in conjunction with a ice or fire hp, so you should change the mention in oo as it is misleading a bit.

Posting to let you know I looked at this. I know Roserade is a usable mon, but I don't know much about it. Add Rotom-H as a team member for sure. I wouldn't really compare this to venusaur or amoonguss outside of the typing, but mention that it has a faster sleep powder outside of sun. I'd probably mention wide glasses as a possible item for raising sleep powders accuracy as well. I will post more later.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
give more examples when you say things like "this move hits mons of x type". name some specific mons within that type. for usage tips, be sure to say that roserade shouldn't be made to take too many extra hits, as it isnt that bulky. also, remove synthesis from OO.

qc 1/2

Eh QC Approved, but I'd still just say use Venusaur or Amoonguss... If it was 101 speed i could see it having a niche not really with 90. Jumpluff also exists which is faster. I'm only approving this because it's been a long ass time.

QC Approved: 2/2

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Comment
Overview
########

At first glance, there seems little reason to use Roserade in VGC. Amoonguss and Venusaur are both Grass / Poison types that not only see much more use in VGC, but also have a lot of positive traits over Roserade. Amoonguss boasts much greater bulk, a 100% accurate sleep move in Spore, and Rage Powder to redirect moves, while; Venusaur has increased Speed in sun thanks to Chlorophyll and a bulky Mega evolution to more easily take hits. However, Roserade does have plenty of advantages over these two. Firstly, Roserade has a Special Attack stat of 125, meaning it hits harder than both Amoonguss and Venusaur. It also has 90 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Gardevoir, and Chandelure and put them to sleep before they can attack. Its ability, Technician, gives a boost to Hidden Power, giving it a powerful 90 Base Power Hidden Power Fire to hits Steel-types with. It also deals with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Politoed very well. However, Roserade does have quite a few flaws. While Roserade is not necessarily slow, it's not very fast,(RC) either, and still is outsped by Pokemon such as Charizard, Salamence, and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has quite poor physical bulk, meaning it has trouble taking physical attack. Lastly, Roserade does have slight four-moveslot syndrome, as it really wants to run Magical Leaf, Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, Sleep Powder, and Protect all on the same set.

Special Attacker
#############

Moves
======

Magical Leaf is Roserade's main STAB attack, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of Leaf Storm and is more powerful than Giga Drain. It also has the same base power as Energy Ball when Technician is factored in, though Magical Leaf has the added bonus of never missing. Leaf Storm is another option for a Grass-type STAB attack, and is guaranteed to OHKO standard Rotom-W. However, the Special Attack drop hinders Roserade's performance for the rest of the time it's on the field. Sludge Bomb is a good secondary STAB attack that does great damage to Fairy- and Grass-types such as Gardevoir and Ludicolo. Protect is a very viable option on Roserade, as it helps it avoid spread moves and punishes double targeting. Hidden Power Fire is a great move for Roserade, as it's powerful with a boost from Technician and hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn for super effective damage. It's also a better option against Grass-types who take neutral damage from Sludge Bomb, such as Amoonguss and non-Mega Venusaur. Sleep Powder is a great move in VGC, as it shuts down one of the opponent's Pokemon and is easily spammable due to the lack of Sleep Clause.

Set Details
=========

Life Orb is the item of choice on Roserade, as it boosts its already powerful attacks and helps it distinguish itself from other Grass-types. Technician is an amazing ability that is helpful for boosting the power of Hidden Power Fire, making it 90 Base Power instead of 60. Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment helps Roserade to be as fast and powerful and fast(Just keeping it in the right order.) as possible. A Timid nature further boosts Roserade's Speed stat, though a Modest nature can be used to guarantee an OHKO on standard Rotom-W with Magical Leaf.

Usage Tips
=========

Make sure there's a reason you're using Roserade instead of something like Venusaur or Amoonguss. Roserade's higher Special Attack, Speed, and Technician-boosted Hidden Power Fire are all reasons it may find a spot on your team. Make sure to remember that Roserade isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon, and as such isn't made to take attacks. It is best to bring Roserade when you see a Water-type on your opponent's team, such as Rotom-W or Politoed. It's also wise to not bring Roserade if Fire-, Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-types are common on your opponent's team.

Team Options
============

Pokemon who hate Water-types, such as Talonflame, Chandelure, and Mamoswine all appreciate Roserade's powerful Grass-type STAB attacks. Pokemon such as Garchomp and Mega Mawile also tend to dislike Rotom-W, making Roserade a helpful partner for these Pokemon. Rotom-W and Rotom-H also tends to be a helpful partner for Roserade, as he can absorb the Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves it hates. Tyranitar also makes a helpful partner, as he can absorb Flying-, Fire-, and Psychic-type attacks quite easily.

Other Options
##########

Hidden Power Ice is a nice option for nailing Dragon-types, though the loss inof Hidden Power Fire is almost never worth it. Giga Drain can be used to help recover HP, but it is weaker than both Magical Leaf and Leaf Storm and is usually used better by Venusaur, which has better bulk. Weather Ball can be used on rain teams for a powerful Water-type attack, though it isn't very helpful otherwise. Focus Sash is very helpful for being able to survive an attack at full health, as Roserade is frail. However, it has to give up Life Orb in order to do this, and sandstorm damage and priority attacks can easily pick off a 1% Roserade. Choice Scarf and Choice Specs are decent options for hitting fast ander or harder, respectively, but Roserade is usually outclassed by other cChoice item users, such as Gardevoir. Natural Cure is a nice ability for being able to cure status when Roserade switches out, though the loss in Technician means it usually isn't worth it. Hidden Power Rock can be used for Fire- and Flying-types, though most can outspeed Roserade and Sludge Bomb usually hits these Pokemon hard anyway. Lastly, Wide Lens can be used for a more accurate Sleep Powder, though the loss in Life Orb tends to make it an inferior option.

Checks & Counters
###############

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame can easily OHKO Roserade with a STAB Brave Bird.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Charizard, Rotom-H, and Chandelure can all OHKO Roserade with STAB Fire Blast or Overheat.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Gardevoir can OHKO Roserade with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock.

**Ice-types**: Ice-types such as Mamoswine can OHKO Roserade with their STAB attacks.

**Powerful Attackers**: In general, powerful attackers that outspeed Roserade can take it out with relative ease. This includes Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Pinsir, and Hydreigon.<----Make this a period, not a comma.

Beautiful, but I would expect nothing less from you.
1/2

Last edited:
Remove
Add
Comment
Overview
########

At first glance, there seems little reason to use Roserade in VGC. Amoonguss and Venusaur are both Grass / Poison types that not only see much more use in VGC, but also have a lot of positive traits over Roserade. Amoonguss boasts much greater bulk, a 100% accurate sleep move in Spore, and Rage Powder to redirect moves, while; Venusaur has increased Speed in sun thanks to Chlorophyll and a bulky Mega evolution to more easily take hits. However, Roserade does have plenty of advantages over these two. Firstly, Roserade has a Special Attack stat of 125, meaning it hits harder than both Amoonguss and Venusaur. It also has 90 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Gardevoir, and Chandelure and put them to sleep before they can attack. Its ability, Technician, gives a boost to Hidden Power, giving it a powerful 90 Base Power Hidden Power Fire to hits Steel-types with. It also deals with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Politoed very well. However, Roserade does have quite a few flaws. While Roserade is not necessarily slow, it's not very fast,(RC) either, and still is outsped by Pokemon such as Charizard, Salamence, and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has quite poor physical bulk, meaning it has trouble taking physical attack. Lastly, Roserade does have slight four-moveslot syndrome, as it really wants to run Magical Leaf, Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, Sleep Powder, and Protect all on the same set.

Special Attacker
#############

Moves
======

Magical Leaf is Roserade's main STAB attack, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of Leaf Storm and is more powerful than Giga Drain. It also has the same base power as Energy Ball when Technician is factored in, though Magical Leaf has the added bonus of never missing. Leaf Storm is another option for a Grass-type STAB attack, and is guaranteed to OHKO standard Rotom-W. However, the Special Attack drop hinders Roserade's performance for the rest of the time it's on the field. Sludge Bomb is a good secondary STAB attack that does great damage to Fairy- and Grass-types such as Gardevoir and Ludicolo. Protect is a very viable option on Roserade, as it helps it avoid spread moves and punishes double targeting. Hidden Power Fire is a great move for Roserade, as it's powerful with a boost from Technician and hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn for super effective damage. It's also a better option against Grass-types who take neutral damage from Sludge Bomb, such as Amoonguss and non-Mega Venusaur. Sleep Powder is a great move in VGC, as it shuts down one of the opponent's Pokemon and is easily spammable due to the lack of Sleep Clause.

Set Details
=========

Life Orb is the item of choice on Roserade, as it boosts its already powerful attacks and helps it distinguish itself from other Grass-types. Technician is an amazing ability that is helpful for boosting the power of Hidden Power Fire, making it 90 Base Power instead of 60. Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment helps Roserade to be as fast and powerful and fast(Just keeping it in the right order.) as possible. A Timid nature further boosts Roserade's Speed stat, though a Modest nature can be used to guarantee an OHKO on standard Rotom-W with Magical Leaf.

Usage Tips
=========

Team Options
============

Pokemon who hate Water-types, such as Talonflame, Chandelure, and Mamoswine all appreciate Roserade's powerful Grass-type STAB attacks. Pokemon such as Garchomp and Mega Mawile also tend to dislike Rotom-W, making Roserade a helpful partner for these Pokemon. Rotom-W and Rotom-H also tends to be a helpful partner for Roserade, as he can absorb the Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves it hates. Tyranitar also makes a helpful partner, as he can absorb Flying-, Fire-, and Psychic-type attacks quite easily.

Other Options
##########

Hidden Power Ice is a nice option for nailing Dragon-types, though the loss inof Hidden Power Fire is almost never worth it. Giga Drain can be used to help recover HP, but it is weaker than both Magical Leaf and Leaf Storm and is usually used better by Venusaur, which has better bulk. Weather Ball can be used on rain teams for a powerful Water-type attack, though it isn't very helpful otherwise. Focus Sash is very helpful for being able to survive an attack at full health, as Roserade is frail. However, it has to give up Life Orb in order to do this, and sandstorm damage and priority attacks can easily pick off a 1% Roserade. Choice Scarf and Choice Specs are decent options for hitting fast ander or harder, respectively, but Roserade is usually outclassed by other cChoice item users, such as Gardevoir. Natural Cure is a nice ability for being able to cure status when Roserade switches out, though the loss in Technician means it usually isn't worth it. Hidden Power Rock can be used for Fire- and Flying-types, though most can outspeed Roserade and Sludge Bomb usually hits these Pokemon hard anyway. Lastly, Wide Lens can be used for a more accurate Sleep Powder, though the loss in Life Orb tends to make it an inferior option.

Checks &amp; Counters
###############

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame can easily OHKO Roserade with a STAB Brave Bird.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Gardevoir can OHKO Roserade with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock.

**Powerful Attackers**: In general, powerful attackers that outspeed Roserade can take it out with relative ease. This includes Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Pinsir, and Hydreigon.<----Make this a period, not a comma.

Beautiful, but I would expect nothing less from you.
2/2
Thanks Lord Alphose! :D This has been implemented and I'm ready for the next check.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lord Alphose it was a 1/2 not a 2/2 >:(
hi
Overview
########
At firsta glance, it looks like there seems littleis almost no reason to use Roserade in VGC. Amoonguss and Venusaur are both Grass / Poison types that not only see much more use in VGC, but also have a lot of positive traits over Roserade. Amoonguss boasts much greater bulk, a 100% accurate sleep move in Spore, and Rage Powder to redirect moves; Venusaur has increased Speed in sun thanks to Chlorophyll and a bulky Mega evolution to take hits more easily take hits. However, Roserade does haves plenty of advantages over these two. Firstly, Roserade has a Special Attack stat of 125, meaning it hits harder than both Amoonguss and Venusaur. It also has 90 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Gardevoir, and Chandelure and put them to sleep before they can attack. Its ability, Technician, gives a boost to Hidden Power, giving it a powerful 90 Base Power Hidden Power Fire to hits Steel-types. It also deals with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Politoed very well. However, Roserade does have quite a few flaws. While Roseradeit isn't is not necessarily slow, it's not very fast either, and is still is outsped by Pokemon such as Charizard, Salamence, and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has quite poor physical bulk, meaning it has trouble taking physical attacks. Lastly, Roserade does have slight four-moveslot syndrome, as it really wants to run Magical Leaf, Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, Sleep Powder, and Protect all on the same set.
Special Attacker
#############
Moves
======
Magical Leaf is Roserade's main STAB attack, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of Leaf Storm and is more powerful than Giga Drain. It also has the same bBase pPower as Energy Ball when Technician is factored in, though Magical Leaf has the added bonus of never missing. Leaf Storm is another option for a Grass-type STAB attack, and is guaranteed to OHKO the standard Rotom-W set. However, the Special Attack drop hinders Roserade's performance for the rest of the time it's on the field. Sludge Bomb is a good secondary STAB attack that does great damage to Fairy- and Grass-types such as Gardevoir and Ludicolo. Protect is a very viable option on Roserade, as it helps it avoid spread moves and punishes double targeting. Hidden Power Fire is a great move for Roserade, as it's powerful with a boost from Technician and hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn for super effective damage. It's also a better option against Grass-types whothat take neutral damage from Sludge Bomb, such as Amoonguss and non-Mega Venusaur. Sleep Powder is a great move in VGC, as it shuts down one of the opponent's Pokemon and is easily spammable due to the lack of Sleep Clause.
Set Details
=========
Life Orb is the item of choice on Roserade, as it boosts its already powerful attacks and helps it distinguish itself from other Grass-types. Technician is an amazing ability that is helpful for boosting the power of Hidden Power Fire, makincreasing it 9from 60 Base Power instead of 60to 90 Base Power. Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment helps Roserade to be as powerful and fast as possible. A Timid nature further boosts Roserade's Speed stat, though a Modest nature can be used to guarantee an OHKO on standard Rotom-W with Magical Leaf.
Usage Tips
=========
Make sure there's a reason you're using Roserade instead of something like Venusaur or Amoonguss. Roserade's higher Special Attack, Speed, and Technician-boosted Hidden Power Fire are all reasons it may find a spot on your team. Make sure to remember that Roserade isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon, and, as such, isn't made to take attacks. It is best to bring Roserade when you see a Water-type on your opponent's team, such as Rotom-W or Politoed. It's also wise to not bring Roserade if Fire-, Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-types are common on your opponent's team.
Team Options
============
Pokemon whothat hate Water-types, such as Talonflame, Chandelure, and Mamoswine all appreciate Roserade's powerful Grass-type STAB attacks. Pokemon such as Garchomp and Mega Mawile also tend to dislike Rotom-W, making Roserade a helpful partner for these Pokemon. Rotom-W and Rotom-H also tendis to be a helpful partner for Roserade, as they can absorb the Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves itRoserade hates. Tyranitar also makes a helpful partner, as heit can absorb Flying-, Fire-, and Psychic-type attacks quite easily.
Other Options
##########
Hidden Power Ice is a nice option for nailing Dragon-types, though the loss of Hidden Power Fire is almost never worth it. Giga Drain can be used to help recover HP, but it is weaker than both Magical Leaf and Leaf Storm and is usually used better by Venusaur, which has better bulk. Weather Ball can be used on rain teams for a powerful Water-type attack, though it isn't very helpful otherwise. Focus Sash is very helpful for being able to survive an attack at full health, as Roserade is frail. However, it has to give up Life Orb in order to do this, and sandstorm damage and priority attacks can easily pick off a 1% Roserade. Choice Scarf and Choice Specs are decent options for hitting faster or harder, respectively, but Roserade is usually outclassed by other Choice item users, such as Gardevoir. Natural Cure is a niceuseful ability for being able to cure status when Roserade switches out, though the loss inof Technician means it usually isn't worth it. Hidden Power Rock can be used for Fire- and Flying-types, though most of them can outspeed Roserade and Sludge Bomb usually hits these Pokemon hard anyway. Lastly, Wide Lens can be used for a more accurate Sleep Powder, though the loss in Life Orb tends to makes it an inferior option.
Checks &amp; Counters
###############
**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame can easily OHKO Roserade with atheir STAB Brave BirdFlying-type moves.
**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Gardevoir can OHKO Roserade with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock-type move.
**Powerful Attackers**: In general, powerful attackers that outspeed Roserade can take it out with relative ease. This includes Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Pinsir, and Hydreigon.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Lord Alphose it was a 1/2 not a 2/2 >:(
hi
Overview
########
At firsta glance, it looks like there seems littleis almost no reason to use Roserade in VGC. Amoonguss and Venusaur are both Grass / Poison types that not only see much more use in VGC, but also have a lot of positive traits over Roserade. Amoonguss boasts much greater bulk, a 100% accurate sleep move in Spore, and Rage Powder to redirect moves; Venusaur has increased Speed in sun thanks to Chlorophyll and a bulky Mega evolution to take hits more easily take hits. However, Roserade does haves plenty of advantages over these two. Firstly, Roserade has a Special Attack stat of 125, meaning it hits harder than both Amoonguss and Venusaur. It also has 90 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Gardevoir, and Chandelure and put them to sleep before they can attack. Its ability, Technician, gives a boost to Hidden Power, giving it a powerful 90 Base Power Hidden Power Fire to hits Steel-types. It also deals with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Politoed very well. However, Roserade does have quite a few flaws. While Roseradeit isn't is not necessarily slow, it's not very fast either, and is still is outsped by Pokemon such as Charizard, Salamence, and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has quite poor physical bulk, meaning it has trouble taking physical attacks. Lastly, Roserade does have slight four-moveslot syndrome, as it really wants to run Magical Leaf, Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power Fire, Sleep Powder, and Protect all on the same set.
Special Attacker
#############
Moves
======
Magical Leaf is Roserade's main STAB attack, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of Leaf Storm and is more powerful than Giga Drain. It also has the same bBase pPower as Energy Ball when Technician is factored in, though Magical Leaf has the added bonus of never missing. Leaf Storm is another option for a Grass-type STAB attack, and is guaranteed to OHKO the standard Rotom-W set. However, the Special Attack drop hinders Roserade's performance for the rest of the time it's on the field. Sludge Bomb is a good secondary STAB attack that does great damage to Fairy- and Grass-types such as Gardevoir and Ludicolo. Protect is a very viable option on Roserade, as it helps it avoid spread moves and punishes double targeting. Hidden Power Fire is a great move for Roserade, as it's powerful with a boost from Technician and hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn for super effective damage. It's also a better option against Grass-types whothat take neutral damage from Sludge Bomb, such as Amoonguss and non-Mega Venusaur. Sleep Powder is a great move in VGC, as it shuts down one of the opponent's Pokemon and is easily spammable due to the lack of Sleep Clause.
Set Details
=========
Life Orb is the item of choice on Roserade, as it boosts its already powerful attacks and helps it distinguish itself from other Grass-types. Technician is an amazing ability that is helpful for boosting the power of Hidden Power Fire, makincreasing it 9from 60 Base Power instead of 60to 90 Base Power. Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment helps Roserade to be as powerful and fast as possible. A Timid nature further boosts Roserade's Speed stat, though a Modest nature can be used to guarantee an OHKO on standard Rotom-W with Magical Leaf.
Usage Tips
=========
Make sure there's a reason you're using Roserade instead of something like Venusaur or Amoonguss. Roserade's higher Special Attack, Speed, and Technician-boosted Hidden Power Fire are all reasons it may find a spot on your team. Make sure to remember that Roserade isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon, and, as such, isn't made to take attacks. It is best to bring Roserade when you see a Water-type on your opponent's team, such as Rotom-W or Politoed. It's also wise to not bring Roserade if Fire-, Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-types are common on your opponent's team.
Team Options
============
Pokemon whothat hate Water-types, such as Talonflame, Chandelure, and Mamoswine all appreciate Roserade's powerful Grass-type STAB attacks. Pokemon such as Garchomp and Mega Mawile also tend to dislike Rotom-W, making Roserade a helpful partner for these Pokemon. Rotom-W and Rotom-H also tendis to be a helpful partner for Roserade, as they can absorb the Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves itRoserade hates. Tyranitar also makes a helpful partner, as heit can absorb Flying-, Fire-, and Psychic-type attacks quite easily.
Other Options
##########
Hidden Power Ice is a nice option for nailing Dragon-types, though the loss of Hidden Power Fire is almost never worth it. Giga Drain can be used to help recover HP, but it is weaker than both Magical Leaf and Leaf Storm and is usually used better by Venusaur, which has better bulk. Weather Ball can be used on rain teams for a powerful Water-type attack, though it isn't very helpful otherwise. Focus Sash is very helpful for being able to survive an attack at full health, as Roserade is frail. However, it has to give up Life Orb in order to do this, and sandstorm damage and priority attacks can easily pick off a 1% Roserade. Choice Scarf and Choice Specs are decent options for hitting faster or harder, respectively, but Roserade is usually outclassed by other Choice item users, such as Gardevoir. Natural Cure is a niceuseful ability for being able to cure status when Roserade switches out, though the loss inof Technician means it usually isn't worth it. Hidden Power Rock can be used for Fire- and Flying-types, though most of them can outspeed Roserade and Sludge Bomb usually hits these Pokemon hard anyway. Lastly, Wide Lens can be used for a more accurate Sleep Powder, though the loss in Life Orb tends to makes it an inferior option.
Checks &amp; Counters
###############
**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Talonflame can easily OHKO Roserade with atheir STAB Brave BirdFlying-type moves.
**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Gardevoir can OHKO Roserade with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock-type move.
**Powerful Attackers**: In general, powerful attackers that outspeed Roserade can take it out with relative ease. This includes Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Pinsir, and Hydreigon.

GP 2/2
Thanks! This is now Done :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)