Roserade [QC: 0/3]

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########
  • New breeding mechanics allow it to use Spikes and Sleep Powder on the same set
  • New Sleep Powder mechanics make it harder to set up on Grass-types
  • Can hit hard with 125 base Special Attack
  • Decent base 90 Speed allows it to outpace important Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Heatran, though it is still a bit slow against more offensively oriented teams
  • Has many options for recovery in Giga Drain, Synthesis, and Rest
  • Can utilize Natural Cure very well as it can switch into Will-o-Wisps from Rotom-W easier and can also use it in tandem with Rest

SET NAME
########
name: Offensive Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Leaf Storm
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
ability: Natural Cure / Technician
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Roserade can get two layers of Spikes pretty easily, which is helpful for offensive teams to break down the opposing team's defenses easier
  • Sleep Powder lets Roserade set up Spikes easier, and can also come in handy for sleeping large threats to your own team.
  • Sleep Powder does not hit Grass-types such as Venusaur, Gourgeist, Trevenant, or Ferrothorn, however
  • Leaf Storm hits hard and quick, as Roserade isn't going to be staying in very long anyway
  • Hidden Power Fire lets Roserade hit Ferrothorn and Forretress easier, as well as the Grass-types who are immune to Sleep Powder including Ferrothorn
Set Details
========
  • EV Spread allows it to sleep slower threats, hit any switch-ins hard, and set up Spikes as quickly and efficiently as possible
  • Max Speed with Timid nature allows it to outspeed max Speed Rotom-W and Gyarados, and other slower threats such as Heatran and bulky Landorus-T.
  • Focus Sash guarantees that Roserade will be able to survive at least one hit, so it can either attack, sleep, or spikestack on the opponent
  • Life Orb is an alternative option to use if you want more power and choose not to play Roserade as a dedicated lead
  • Natural Cure helps Roserade switch in repeatedly on Rotom-W Will-o-Wisps, while Technician gives Hidden Power Fire a nice boost in power
  • Giga Drain can also be considered over Leaf Storm if running Life Orb, as it can recover off recoil damage

Usage Tips
========
  • Used primarily as a lead for spikestacking offensive teams
  • Sleep Powder first, then start laying down Spikes
  • In the case of Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Hidden Power Fire is best used when predicting a switch
  • Use Leaf Storm to hit things hard before fainting
  • Is often sacrificed early game for sleep and entry hazard purposes
  • If you are running the Life Orb set instead, keep it around longer and focus on attacking, while Spiking primarily on predicted switches instead

Team Options
========
  • Talonflame appreciates the Spikes support, while Roserade handles things such as Rotom-W quite well
  • Heatran can lay out Stealth Rock and can handle Grass-types and opposing Talonflame. Roserade can then set up on bulky Water-types that give Heatran trouble
  • Rotom-W works well with Roserade because it can check Talonflame and can rack up chip damage with Volt Switch
  • Keldeo is also a decent partner because it can apply offensive pressure much better with Spikes on the field
  • Spinblockers like Gengar and Aegislash are useful to keep Spikes on the field
SET NAME
########
name: Specially Defensive Spikes
move 1: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb
move 4: Rest / Synthesis
ability: Natural Cure
item: Black Sludge
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========
  • Spikes allows for more defensive and balanced teams to function by gradually wearing down the opponent's team
  • Toxic Spikes can be used over Spikes if one wishes to have poison support, but many OU teams carry several Pokemon who are immune to Toxic Spikes
  • Giga Drain is a reliable STAB move that helps Roserade recover health while still staying on the offensive
  • Hidden Power Fire threatens Ferrothorn and Forretress, and ensures that they cannot spikestack on Roserade easily
  • Sludge Bomb can be considered for more reliable STAB, though the coverage is a bit worse
  • Rest is used as recovery and is useful in tandem with Natural Cure
  • Synthesis can be considered as well if one still wishes to stay in after recovering
Set Details
========
  • EVs optimize Roserade's overall bulk, a Calm nature lets it tank multiple hits from things like Rotom-W and Keldeo
  • Black Sludge helps for recovery purposes, while Natural Cure helps it recover easier with Rest as well as being an overall status absorber for teams that need it

Usage Tips
========
  • Switch it in on a specially resistant attack from something like Rotom, Keldeo, Jellicent, or Politoed
  • Lay out entry hazards on free turns such as switches
  • Recover health when it is necessary after spikestacking
  • Attack when necessary: to avoid getting killed or to minimize opposing Pokemon spikestacking such as Ferrothorn or Forretress
  • Switch out when you are threatened
Team Options
========
  • Specially Defensive Heatran can switch into Pokemon such as Latias and Latios, and can also help rack up residual damage with Roar
  • Bulky Rotom-W can help against Talonflame just like Heatran, and can burn physical threats with Will-o-Wisp
  • A spinblocker such as Aegislash is ideal to ensure hazards stay on the field

Other Options
########
  • You can consider an all-out offensive set without the use of Spikes, but entry hazards are important for Roserade as Venusaur is usually superior otherwise
  • Aromatherapy can be neat if your team is in need of a cleric, but Roserade will have to sacrifice coverage for it
  • Shadow Ball can be used over Hidden Power Fire to hit Trevenant, Gourgeist, and Aegislash harder while being able to hit Gengar for super effective damage, though it is less threatening for Ferrothorn
  • Weather Ball is neat but gimmicky, and the weather nerf makes it less useful
Checks & Counters
########
  • Talonflame
  • Moltres
  • Heatran
  • Assault Vest Excadrill
  • Assault Vest Goodra
  • Dragonite
  • Latios
  • Latias
  • Starmie
  • Greninja
  • Gengar
  • Infernape
  • Mega Venusaur
  • Mega Charizard X and Y

I think it really needs a Choice Specs/Scarf set. Technician with Specs makes Hidden Power a free 135 BP move of your choosing, allowing you to cover whatever your team needs, which is amazing. Scarf means you can throw a 90 BP HP Rock in Char Y's face. Leaf Storm, Dazzling Gleam, Sludge bomb, Roserade can use some really uncommon attack types to hit a variety of mon that the rest of your team has trouble covering and Technician Hidden Power gives it the flexibility to handle virtually whatever is giving your team trouble, and from an unexpected place.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can't really agree with the Specs / Scarf sets. Being locked into Grass-type attacks is REALLY bad this generation with Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, Mega Aggron, Charizard-X, Charizard-Y... the list goes on and on.

I can't really agree with the Specs / Scarf sets. Being locked into Grass-type attacks is REALLY bad this generation with Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, Mega Aggron, Charizard-X, Charizard-Y... the list goes on and on.
It works better as a revenge killer with its good coverage. Grass is there for STAB when needed but you'll get more use out of Dazzling Gleam and HP Whatever. I guess you could go Timid Life Orb but an all out attacker set is potent.

This is the set i run
Petals (Roserade) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SAtk / 24 HP / 192 SDef / 40 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
it works pretty well and lets Roserade tank lots of special attacks Plus it counters lots of common leads

You should give Technician the first slash on the Offensive Spiker. Considering it's practically a suicide lead, it'll prefer the boost to Hidden Power more than being able to get rid of status if it switches, especially since non-Technician Hidden Power won't 1HKO Ferrothorn. Also, slash Sludge Bomb with HP Fire, as it has good complementary coverage with Leaf Storm and hits some things harder.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I can't give much of an opinion on Roserade in OU, but on the bulky Spikes set, I've actually had quite a lot of success running both Spikes and Toxic Spikes. I feel with no investment, Hidden Power Fire is just too weak, and being able to choose what hazards you can set up (depending on what type of team you're facing) really makes Roserade that much better. I could be wrong as I haven't ran the set in OU, but it's just something to consider. Also on the specially defensive set, when running Toxic Spikes, I'd mention how Gliscor, Zapdos, and other Toxic Stall Pokemon really benefit from Roserade's Toxic Spikes, so I'd mention them as good team mates.

Other than that, this analysis looks solid, nice one Plus :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)