Rotation Battle Play

Boo.

That's quite a shame.

Speaking of that fourth Pokemon, that seems like an important role; it's your only "surprise" option available.

I could see a backup weather-starter, Eccentric Ditto, and another sweeper (after a bait set on something else eliminates its threats) all being useful there.
Apparently it's the full six pokemon over wireless and FC battles- 4 pokemon is only on random battle.

Also, shame about Regigias. But I wouldn't count him out just yet- Regi's biggest weakness has always been that he can rarely get Slow Start to run out before he is forced out. However... With rotation, Substitute, and a Wishing partner... he has a chance at glory.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Necroing this thread with Vader's permission.

Assuming aldaron's proposal isn't implemented in rotation, what do you guys think of Politoed lead, which gets switched out for a Kingdra / Kabutops / Ludicolo offensive? It sounds really beastly, and Kingdra and Kabutops can retain their boosts.

I usually start with a Scarfed Agiruuda in the middle, with some prioritysupport by the side, and maybe even belly drum support as pressure.

Either a scarfed uturn to get my other pokemon in, or just death gambit when I predict the opponents biggest threat to attack, works extreemly well.

I was thinking of trying something along the lines of Goruggo, Togekiss, Water Absorb Suicune, with Heatran as back-up, which has immunities to Electric, Fighting, Normal, Ghost, Ground, Water, Poison, Fire, quad-resists to Grass, Bug, Steel, and resists to every other types. I'd abuse immunities and resistances along with the free switches to spam 100% accurate Dynamic Punches, Thunder Wave + Air Slash to slowly set up a CM-Suicune sweep. Heatran is mostly there to round out the resists, although those Fire Blasts are going to hurt. Since you can't switch out of confusion as easily (or use Natural Cure to get rid of Paralysis), this team should (theorymon) lock down the opponent's strategy long enough to let Suicune set up. Wish + Paraflinch lets Togekiss spread the healing around, and I got things to take the common status moves (Toxic and Burn to Heatran, Paralysis to Goruggo). Heatran's most likely going to be an all out attacker with Life Orb, so that I'm not neutered by Choice Specs/Scarf.

Destiny Warrior

I was thinking of trying something along the lines of Goruggo, Togekiss, Water Absorb Suicune, with Heatran as back-up, which has immunities to Electric, Fighting, Normal, Ghost, Ground, Water, Poison, Fire, quad-resists to Grass, Bug, Steel, and resists to every other types. I'd abuse immunities and resistances along with the free switches to spam 100% accurate Dynamic Punches, Thunder Wave + Air Slash to slowly set up a CM-Suicune sweep. Heatran is mostly there to round out the resists, although those Fire Blasts are going to hurt. Since you can't switch out of confusion as easily (or use Natural Cure to get rid of Paralysis), this team should (theorymon) lock down the opponent's strategy long enough to let Suicune set up. Wish + Paraflinch lets Togekiss spread the healing around, and I got things to take the common status moves (Toxic and Burn to Heatran, Paralysis to Goruggo). Heatran's most likely going to be an all out attacker with Life Orb, so that I'm not neutered by Choice Specs/Scarf.
That's interesting, but using Heatran will be very very difficult, since you need to switch out a Pokemon, wasting a turn to get in a resist, and your opponent can easily mount an offensive, while you're forced to play defensively, continously rotating and counter-rotating. You won't be getting opportunities to DPunch very much.

I usually start with a Scarfed Agiruuda in the middle, with some prioritysupport by the side, and maybe even belly drum support as pressure.

Either a scarfed uturn to get my other pokemon in, or just death gambit when I predict the opponents biggest threat to attack, works extreemly well.
Why Scarf a pokemon with such a massive speed?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To outspeed Ninjask, who isn't even seen that often anymore?
Or Excadrill on a sandstorm themed team? Anyways, I think Rotation Battles are fun to play, and require more prediction, as excluding Switching, you have at least 12 options, meaning a wrong move could result in a a sidelined member getting a stat boost for free...

Alright, I've watched a few vids and can say that using choiced pokes seem to be a horrible idea almost all the time. Even if you do get the hit you want, you're stuck into that move as long as that poke remains in which essencially makes it a 3 on 2 battle (aka not in your favor) and the only way to remedy the situation is to either switch out and give your opponent a free turn or die. The only time I'd use choice is when tricking it to someone else like mentioned before :P

Destiny Warrior

I was theorymonning some sets today, when one struck me to have shitloads of potential: Moxie LO Honchkrow.

It has an extremely powerful Sucker Punch, which keeps getting stronger throughout the battle. Rotating another mon doesn't fix it, since they're going to be hit by a Sucker Punch as well, and Moxie boosts keep accumulating throughout the battle. If you don't attack it and instead try to set up in its face, it can pummel you with a STAB Brave Bird. Maybe it can even drop LO and instead run Substitute, and with the buffer and getting steadily more powerful, paired with a Wish user, it looks like it could at the very least redefine the concept of revenge killing, due to to its own proficiency.

I was theorymonning some sets today, when one struck me to have shitloads of potential: Moxie LO Honchkrow.

It has an extremely powerful Sucker Punch, which keeps getting stronger throughout the battle. Rotating another mon doesn't fix it, since they're going to be hit by a Sucker Punch as well, and Moxie boosts keep accumulating throughout the battle. If you don't attack it and instead try to set up in its face, it can pummel you with a STAB Brave Bird. Maybe it can even drop LO and instead run Substitute, and with the buffer and getting steadily more powerful, paired with a Wish user, it looks like it could at the very least redefine the concept of revenge killing, due to to its own proficiency.

you can use sucker punch since murkrow actually learns it. But until somebody legitly proves female dw pokemon exist moxie Honchkrow can't have any egg or previous gen moves including brave bird (but not including roosts since DW murkrows come with roost)

Destiny Warrior

I've been working on a moxie honchkrow spread, and I've got this so far:

252 Atk 40 SpA 216 Spe

The 40 EVs let me ensure several KOs with HP Ice + Sucker Punch, meaning I can rotate in on an EQ to get free Moxie boosts and kills.

I use Sucker Punch / Brave Bird / HP Ice for offense.

On anotehr note, SD Lucario looks like a big threat. Crunch variants are only really stopped by Jirachi and Gliscor, and now its possible to eliminate both threats without losing SD boosts. Thoughts?

On anotehr note, SD Lucario looks like a big threat. Crunch variants are only really stopped by Jirachi and Gliscor, and now its possible to eliminate both threats without losing SD boosts. Thoughts?

well what do they know nowadays? Crunch, Espeed, Sdance, CC like normal? I dunno since I don't have BW and don't play PO :P

If it is like the old way then I'd just suggest having a bulky Machamp since confusion is equally if not more annoying on rotation battles or a roobushin. your honchkrow would get rid of most ghost types that would annoy them.

however, rotation battles are all about prediction. It's really up to who rotates into what and when :P

I have played few rotation battles and i have found that team of Bulky DDttar, timid Chandelure, SD scizor and poison heal gliscor is pretty good. I have won 7 of 9 battles with it (not counting DCs)
Btw renegator doesn't work on rotating.

I have played few rotation battles and i have found that team of Bulky DDttar, timid Chandelure, SD scizor and poison heal gliscor is pretty good. I have won 7 of 9 battles with it (not counting DCs)
Btw renegator doesn't work on rotating.
Regenerator won't work on Rotation unless you actually SWITCH it out of battle instead of rotating it to the sidelines. ._.

Rotate to Left Pokemon -> Attack (0-4 moves)
Rotate to right Pokemon -> Attack (0-4 moves)
Attack with Center Pokemon (1-4 moves)
Switch Center with Party (0-3 moves)
On any given turn, you have 1 to 15 different moves you can make. You will always have one move: if all of the PP of your assigned moves wears out, (and everything else is dead: in which case you're absolutely boned) there's Struggle.

I was thinking of keeping three Pokemon with Lead-esque roles. The obvious Center one, the uncommon but still reasonable option on the one side, and then like an anti-lead on the other. No good moves? Make sure one of them has U-turn/Volt Change. :p

I think Rotation battles are the most interesting battle choice yet. As opposed to singles which has 9 moves per turn (4 attacks, 5 switches). Yes Doubles has way more (~56-64 per turn?), but the implementation is more interesting in Rotation with the way things are "stored" on the sidelines.

Yes. It's most unfortunate they did not allow these and triple battles on wifi and battle subway. Seems Gamefreak is once again too afraid use something new to its full to potential.

I run a gravity spam team on rotation battles (me and my sis keep trying to beat each other up.). You really need a good mix sweeper in this style of play.

Yes. It's most unfortunate they did not allow these and triple battles on wifi and battle subway. Seems Gamefreak is once again too afraid use something new to its full to potential.
Triples, Launcher, and Rotation battles are all playable both in FC matches (Colosseum mode) and in Random Matchup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)