RU Rotom-C

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: [ Molk ] [ SilentVerse ] [ atomicllamas ]
GP Checks: [ Ender ] [ fleurdyleurse ]

i'll mow your lawn for sex

Overview
########
Boasting a fantastic Grass / Electric typing which gives it a good STAB combination along with nice resistances, the mowing machine is by no means a faulty one. Along with its good typing, it also has Levitate, which gives it immunity to Ground-type moves and therefore lets it check notable Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Gastrodon. It also gives it immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock, making Rotom-C a good answer to Sticky Web and hazard-stacking teams if played correctly. Additionally, it has good overall stats, with good Special Attack, Speed, and defensive stats. Sadly, Rotom-C is still outsped by faster threats such as Hitmonlee, Moltres, Drapion, and Delphox. It also suffers a bit from four-moveslot syndrome, as it wants to run Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Will-O-Wisp, Leaf Storm, and Trick altogether on a Choice set but can't.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Trick
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========
Leaf Storm is a strong STAB move that severely hurts everything weak to it, especially Pokemon like Rhyperior and Gastrodon, while also being able to damage many Pokemon that aren't weak to it. Volt Switch is this set's main move, as it allows Rotom-C to gain momentum, while still hitting hard thanks to it being a STAB move. Thunderbolt is the secondary STAB move and lets Rotom-C clean late-game thanks to its reliability. Finally, Trick can cripple some common switch-ins to Rotom-C, such as Registeel and Amoonguss, for the rest of the match. Will-O-Wisp can be used along with Trick to effectively spread burns after tricking the Choice Scarf away, but isn't preferred because it removes Rotom-C's ability to clean late-game with Thunderbolt, the only reliable STAB move Rotom-C has.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed along with maximum Special Attack allows Rotom-C to be as fast as possible to outspeed slower threats such as Gallade, Braviary, and Tyrantrum, while also hitting as hard as possible. The choice between Timid and Modest comes down to whether you want it to hit harder or outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf base 80 Pokemon such as Braviary and Adamant Hitmonlee. Choice Scarf allows Rotom-C to act as a late-game cleaner that can revenge kill threats such as Hitmonlee, Moltres, Delphox, Cobalion, and Durant, among others.

Usage Tips
========
This particular set allows Rotom-C to act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer that can be used early-game to grab momentum with Volt Switch. If the opponent's team lacks a Ground-type or a Pokemon that is immune to Electric-type moves such as Jolteon, then feel free to use Volt Switch early-game as much as possible to gain momentum. If a Pokemon that is immune to Electric-type moves is on the opponent's team, then use it carefully, and some prediction with Leaf Storm must be done. Leaf Storm's Special Attack drop can also cause Rotom-C to be setup fodder for Pokemon such as Braviary, Gallade, Delphox, and Moltres, so use it sparingly. Using Trick against some common switch-ins such as Amoonguss and Registeel will cripple them for the rest of the match, but think twice before using Trick against an offensive team, as it can backfire if you give the wrong Pokemon a Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========
Wallbreakers are generally work well with Rotom-C because of their ability to weaken teams so that Rotom-C can easily be cleaned late-game. For that reason, offensive Druddigon, Delphox, Exploud, Escavalier, and Moltres are good teammates. Additionally, Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn make good teammates because they create a VoltTurn core along with Rotom-C. Braviary, Swellow, Moltres, and Jolteon are good options, especially the former three, because they can lure Rhyperior and Alomomola for Rotom-C to easily get rid of.

Fire-types, specifically Moltres, make good partners for Rotom-C because of their ability to easily KO Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Registeel, all of which Rotom-C has trouble against. Entry hazard support is also something it appreciates, and Pokemon such as Druddigon, Rhyperior, and Cobalion can provide Stealth Rock while Accelgor and Qwilfish provide Spikes.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
item: Choice Specs
evs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========
Leaf Storm is the strongest move Rotom-C has access to and allows it to act as a wallbreaker with Choice Specs, hitting anything that doesn't resist it ridiculously hard at the cost of lowering Rotom-C's Special Attack by two stages. Volt Switch is a STAB move that hits decently hard while also increasing momentum, and Thunderbolt is used as a reliable STAB attack without any drawbacks. Trick is to cripple common switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Registeel, and Tangrowth and make them useless for the rest of the match. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Pokemon like Amoonguss, Virizion, Tangrowth, Registeel, and Escavalier harder, while Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Druddigon and Gligar for super effective damage.

Set Details
========
The EVs allow Rotom-C to outspeed neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary and Kabutops, while also providing maximum Special Attack with the rest dumped in HP for better bulk and an easier time switching into Pokemon its supposed to check. The choice between Modest and Timid comes down to whether power or Speed is more important, as Modest lets Rotom-C break walls more easily and do more damage in general, while Timid allows it to outspeed positive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Gallade and Braviary. Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt and gain momentum while doing damage with Volt Switch. Expert Belt can be used, especially because Rotom-C enforces a lot of mindgames when facing Ground-types such as Rhyperior or Gastrodon, and can sometimes lure them into expecting a Volt Switch or a Thunderbolt and hit them afterwards with a Leaf Storm. In this case, it can also bluff a Choice item effectively, if it does not give away the facade by switching moves. Expert Belt is an especially good choice if Rotom-C is using Hidden Power along with hazards support.

Usage Tips
========
Rotom-C is better sent out early-game to use Volt Switch and gain momentum, especially if the opponent's team lacks an Electric-type immunity such as a Ground-type or Jolteon. If that's the case, then prediction is necessary, and using Leaf Storm in the right moment can be crucial to hurt the Electric-type immunities on the switch, but be careful of the Special Attack drop, as it can make Rotom-C setup fodder for Pokemon such as Braviary, Gallade, and Delphox. Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set aims to be more of a wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so using it early- and mid-game to weaken teams for other sweepers to clean up is ideal.

Team Options
========
Strong Fire-types such as Delphox and Moltres can form an effective offensive core with Rotom-C because they beat Grass-types easily, while Rotom-C beats bulky Water-types for them. Moltres, in particular, is a good teammate because it also has access to U-turn and can form a VoltTurn core. Fletchinder can beat Grass-types as well, and it also has priority Acrobatics that can sweep weakened teams late-game. Entry hazards work well with Rotom-C, making Druddigon, Cobalion, and Rhyperior good options to set up Stealth Rock while Accelgor and Qwilfish can set up Spikes, with the latter being able to set up Toxic Spikes as well. As this particular set likes to switch into bulky Water-types and Rhyperior, using it alongside a cleric such as Aromatisse for Wish support and status recovery useful; Alomomola can also switch into Fire-type moves aimed at Rotom-C while also providing useful Wish support.

Choice Specs Rotom-C plays as a wallbreaker first and foremost, and for this reason, pairing it up with sweepers and late-game cleaners is ideal. Pokemon like Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary can be good teammates, because they have access to U-turn and can lure in Rhyperior early-game for Rotom-C to kill, and they form a VoltTurn core with Rotom-C which helps gain momentum early-game. In general, Choice Scarf users are good for their ability to clean up and sweep late-game and for that reason, Pokemon like Delphox and Emboar work well. Pokemon such as Speed Boost Yanmega, Sharpedo, and Jolteon can also clean up late-game and sweep.

Other Options
########
Rotom-C doesn't have many other options, but its typing is unique and having access to a good ability in Levitate allows it to effectively run a bulky set with Rest, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch, and Leaf Storm with Chesto Berry, but it's unreliable due to the fact that it has no reliable STAB move and only a one-time recovery move. A SubSplit set with Substitute, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunderbolt can be utilized, but it's outclassed by SubSeed users such as Gourgeist-S. Thunder Wave can be used on any set instead of Will-O-Wisp if paralysis support is needed, but Will-O-Wisp is usually better thanks to the fact that it deals indirect damage and halves Attack. Finally, a set with Rain Dance and Damp Rock along with Thunder can be a useful tool for rain teams.

Checks & Counters
########
**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion can switch in relatively easily because they resist both of Rotom-C's STAB moves. However, the former two don't like being tricked a Choice item.

**Pokemon That Resist Its Moves**: Druddigon can switch into any move and threaten Rotom-C with a strong STAB attack, Fire Punch, or Gunk Shot. Registeel can use Toxic on Rotom-C and wear it down with Seismic Toss without much trouble, although it is greatly hindered by a Choice item being tricked onto it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Delphox, Moltres, and Hitmonlee have no problem taking down Rotom-C, but they must watch out for the Choice Scarf set, although the former two can outspeed even Choice Scarf Rotom-C and KO it. Jolteon is immune to Electric-type attacks, but takes a hefty amount of damage from Leaf Storm.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm considering adding the set, but I don't have much experience with it, or what kind of EVs it should have. I would appreciate input from QC and other users on that RockRocks

Last edited:
If you decide to put Choice Specs Expert belt can probably go in set details of that as Rotom can be a good Rhyperior lure. Hidden Powers (ice and fire mainly) also can go to OO. A bulkier set can probably be useful to repeatedly switch into bulky waters and should abuse Will-o-Wisp and Pain Split like this

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 208 Spd / 252 SAtk / 48 HP
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm

The EV spread outspeeds Adamant Braviary and Gallade and most walls while giving it the bulk to avoid the 2HKO from Mismagius lefties Shadow Ball (and the OHKO at +2) and uninvested Gastrodon Ice Beam while giving more bulk to check Rhyperior but 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd Timid can be used for Adamant Lee (and everything that aims tou outspeed it coincidentally as 168 is the jum point :o). Those spreads can be useful for the specs set too lol

aVocado

@ Everstone
Okay, this is mostly QC ready. I need thoughts on the bulky set though, should it have its own main set? and what EVs should I go for?

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, time to have fun with our favorite lawn mower:

[Choice Scarf]

- I'd put Timid as the first slash so you outpace Jolly Scarf Braviary. Not super common these days, but it would still suck to be outsped by that thing
- In Usage Tips, stress how easy it is for many Pokemon to set up on a -2 Rotom-C locked into Leaf Storm (Sub+BU Braviary, CM Delphox, Agility or SubRoost Moltres, and Sub+BU Gallade to name a few)
- Spikes users are really good to amplify the effects of Rotom-C's Volt Switching shenanigans. Accelgor and Qwilfish are good here
- VoltTurn teammates since this guy is really good on VoltTurn teams. Braviary (Choiced variants) Magneton, Jolteon, and Swellow are all nice.

[Choice Specs]

- I'd definitely use the spread that galbia mentioned for a possible bulky set. Base 80s is all you really need to outspeed with this set and having a little bit of extra bulk to work with against bulky Waters to donk them with a Specs-boosted move is nice
- Mention the bulky spread with Timid in Set Details since outspeeding Adamant Lee can be kinda cool
- Mention Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Ice in Moves. HP Fire deals with Escavalier and non-AV Tangrowth while HP Ice deals with Gligar (tho Leaf Storm does a fuckton to it atm) and 2HKOes non-AV Druddigon. They would be used over Trick and both catch Virizion for decent damage
- Also mention Expert Belt becomes more viable if you decide to use a Hidden Power type over Trick, but you will fail to 2HKO non-AV Druddigon without hazard support
- Note that Braviary, Moltres, and Delphox can still use a -2 Leaf Storm to begin setting up, so use it a bit more sparingly if you think they're setup variants and not choice variants
- Scarfers / naturally fast Pokemon are good cleaners to pair with Rotom-C. Swellow is notable here since Rotom-C can destroy Rhyperior and fares well against most Steels. Emboar and Delphox are key Scarfers that become very dangerous once bulky Waters are gone or weakened
- Accelgor can reliably set Spikes

[Other Options]

- Mention Thunder with Rain Dance for obvious reasons

[Checks and Counters]

- Note that Registeel is greatly hindered by a Choice item (Specs in particular)
- Make special mention of Scarf Delphox as it doesn't even care about the Scarf set
- Scarf Emboar can outspeed non-Scarf Rotom-C and can even tank a hit from that set if need be

As for the bulky set, I personally have no experience with it in XY, but I did like it quite a bit in BW. If it plays anything like it did in BW and is still effective, I see no problems with it being added. But I'll save that for the rest of the QC Team to decide on as I don't really have much experience with it in XY.

aVocado

@ Everstone
EonX implemented all changes, and fixed a dumb typo in the process lol.

edit: actually, for the timid / modest slash, I put modest first because lately I've used Scarf Rotom-C with modest specifically to 2HKO the usualy Pokemon found on Shuckle Offense:

252+ SpA Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 162-192 (50.3 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Exploud: 180-213 (51.5 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Braviary: 354-416 (103.8 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Those are just 3 examples of the most common SW abusers. But I guess that doesn't matter as much because Timid and SR still cleanly 2HKO all of them anyway.

Last edited:

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Get rid of the secondary EV spread on the Specs set and just slash Timid with Modest; with the same EV spread but a Timid nature, Rotom-C outspeeds positive base 80s, which can be helpful on the occasions people use Jolly CB Braviary or something. Not too much reason to only go for Adamant Hitmonlee when you can outspeed more relevant threats with only a few more EVs imo.

Will check this more thoroughly later, but that's the first thing that I noticed n_n.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Okay, I tested bulky WoW/Pain Split ChestoRest Rotom-C (with 48 HP EVs) and tbh it wasn't good enough to have its own set. It's comparable to Gourgeist-S, I know they're different, but not enough to make Rotom-C have an independent set. Lack of Thunderbolt kinda hurt because of the fact that it can't wear down some targets with burn + consistent damage, and only having a 1-time solid recovery also kinda sucked. Gourgeist-S lacks Volt Switch, I know, but it's still faster with more defense, got Leech Seed, and Seed Bomb to check what Rotom-C checks, and it's also got an arguably better typing.

I'll make sure to mention it in OO though. QC thoughts?

I have used ChestoRest Rotom-C a bit and i have found it extremely underwheilming. It can act as a solid fast burn spreader but its limited recovery was a problem most of the time. Most of the stuff it checks (like sharpedo) dosn't come out until late game and rotom-c will have almost certainly used rest as it is useful to check the various electric and water types around making me wish i had pain split and leftovers. It also doesn't hit particularly hard and misses Volt Switch or Thunderbolt utility as it can't run both so, for me, it is OO material at best.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, given the results of testing the bulky and Chestorest set i think imma finally go in and give this the first approval

QC Approved 1/3

I'd like to test the Expert Belt set later though to see if it deserves a full set of its own (it definitely did in BW, excellent set), but for now i guess set details in specs is perfectly fine.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Finally got the first check lol, thanks Molk ! I didn't test the Expert Belt set properly yet either but I should probably do that.

aVocado

@ Everstone
One thing, now since Shuckle is kinda confirmed to leave the tier soon, what should I do about this sentence in the overview:

It also gives it immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock, and this makes Rotom-C a good answer to Sticky Web teams if played correctly.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One thing, now since Shuckle is kinda confirmed to leave the tier soon, what should I do about this sentence in the overview:
I mean its still true, even if sticky web teams suck now, lol, maybe add stickyweb and spike stalking teams

aVocado

@ Everstone
Ok, added "hazard-stacking teams" and now it looks like this "It also gives it immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock, and this makes Rotom-C a good answer to Sticky Web and hazard-stacking teams if played correctly."

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

Overview
########
Boasting unique offensive and defensive typing in Grass / Electric typing which gives it a good STAB combination along with nice resistances, the mowing machine is by no means a faulty one. Along with its the good typing, it also has a good ability in Levitate, [comma] which gives it immunity to Ground-type moves and therefore lets it check notable Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Gastrodon. It also gives it immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock, making and this makes Rotom-C a good answer to Sticky Web and hazard-stacking teams if played correctly. Additionally, it has it's got good stats all-around, with good Special Attack, Speed, and defensive stats. Sadly, Rotom-C is it's still outsped by faster threats such as Hitmonlee, Moltres, Drapion, [comma] and Delphox. It also suffers a bit from 4 four-moveslot syndrome, as it wants likes to run Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Will-O-Wisp, Leaf Storm, and Trick altogether on a Choice set but can't.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========
Leaf Storm is a strong STAB move that severely hurts everything weak to it, [comma] and especially Pokemon like Rhyperior and Gastrodon, while and it also being able to damage many Pokemon that aren't weak to it. hurts whatever isn't weak to it. Volt Switch is this set's main move, [comma] the main move of the set as it allows Rotom-C to gain momentum, while still hitting hard thanks to it having STAB typing. Thunderbolt is the secondary STAB move and lets Rotom-C clean late-game thanks to its reliability [removed ,] , along with a Choice Scarf. Finally, Trick can cripple some common switch-ins to Rotom-C, [comma] such as Registeel and Amoonguss, and cripples them for the rest of the match. Will-O-Wisp can be used along with Trick to effectively spread burns after tricking the Choice Scarf away, but isn't preferred because it removes Rotom-C's ability to clean late-game with Thunderbolt, the only reliable STAB move Rotom-C has.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed along with maximum Special Attack allows Rotom-C is to be as fast as possible to outspeed slower threats such as Gallade, Braviary, and Tyrantrum, while also hitting as hard as possible. The choice between Timid and Modest comes down to whether you want it to hit harder or outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf base 80 Pokemon such as Braviary [removed ,] and Adamant Hitmonlee. The Choice Scarf on Rotom-C allows it Rotom-C to act as a late-game cleaner that can revenge kill threats such as Hitmonlee, Moltres, Delphox, Cobalion, and Durant, among others.

Usage Tips
========
This particular set of Rotom-C allows Rotom-C it to act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer [removed ,] that can be used early-game to grab momentum with Volt Switch. If the opponent's team lacks a Ground-type or an Electric-type immunity such as Jolteon, then feel free to use Volt Switch early-game as much as possible to gain momentum. If an Electric-type immunity does exist, then use it carefully, and some prediction with Leaf Storm must has to be done. Leaf Storm's Special Attack -2 SpA drop can also cause Rotom-C to be setup fodder for Pokemon such as Braviary, Gallade, Delphox, and Moltres, so use it sparingly as well. Using Trick against some common switch-ins such as Amoonguss and Registeel will cripple them for the rest of the match, but think twice before using Trick against an offensive team, [comma] because it can backfire if you give the wrong Pokemon a Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========
Wallbreakers in general are generally work well with good teammates for Rotom-C because of their ability to weaken teams so that Rotom-C they can easily be cleaned late-game. For that reason, offensive Druddigon, Delphox, Exploud, Escavalier, and Moltres are good teammates. Additionally, Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn make good teammates because they create a VoltTurn core along with Rotom-C. Braviary, Swellow, Moltres, and Jolteon are good options are good with it, especially the former three, because since they can lure Rhyperior and Alomomola for Rotom-C to that Rotom-C can easily get rid of.

Fire-types in general, specifically Moltres, make good partners for to Rotom-C because of their ability to easily KO Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Registeel, all of which Rotom-C has trouble against. Entry hazards support is also something it appreciates, and Pokemon like Druddigon, Rhyperior, and Cobalion can provide Stealth Rock while Accelgor and Qwilfish provide Spikes.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========
Leaf Storm is the strongest move Rotom-C has access to [removed ,] and allows it to act as a wallbreaker with a Choice Specs, hitting anything that doesn't resist it ridiculously hard at the cost of lowering Special Attack loweing SpA by two stages. Volt Switch is a STAB move that hits decently hard while also increasing giving momentum, and Thunderbolt is used as a reliable STAB attack without any drawbacks. Trick is to cripple common switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Registeel, and Tangrowth [removed ,] and make them useless for the rest of the match. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Pokemon like Amoonguss, Virizion, Tangrowth, Registeel, and Escavalier harder, while Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Druddigon and Gligar.

Set Details
========
The EVs allow Rotom-C to outspeed neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary and Kabutops, while also providing maximum Special Attack [removed ,] with the rest dumped in HP for better bulk and an easier time switching into Pokemon its supposed to check such as Gastrodon, Rhyperior, and Alomomola. The choice between Modest and Timid comes down to power vs. Speed, as Modest lets Rotom-C wallbreak more easily and do doing more damage in general, while Timid allows it to outspeed positive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Gallade and Braviary. Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt [removed ,] and gain momentum while doing a lot of damage with Volt Switch. Expert Belt can be used, especially because since Rotom-C enforces a lot of mindgames when facing Ground-types such as Rhyperior or Gastrodon, and can sometimes lure them into expecting a Volt Switch or a Thunderbolt and hit them afterwards with a Leaf Storm. In this case, it can also bluff a Choice item effectively, if it does not give away the facade by switching moves used correctly by not switching moves which will give it away. Expert Belt is an especially good choice It's especially a good item choice if Rotom-C is using Hidden Power along with hazards support.

Usage Tips
========
It's Rotom-C is better used sent out early-game to use Volt Switch and gain momentum, [comma] especially if the opponent's team lacks an Electric-type immunity such as a Ground-type or Jolteon. If that's the case, then prediction is necessary, and using Leaf Storm in the right moment can be crucial to hurt the Electric-type immunities on the switch, but be careful of the Special Attack -2 SpA drop, [comma] as it can make Rotom-C setup fodder for Pokemon such as Braviary, Gallade, and Delphox. Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set aims to be more of a wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so using it early- and mid-game to weaken teams for other sweepers to clean up is ideal.

Team Options
========
Strong Fire-types like Delphox and Moltres can form an effective offensive core with Rotom-C because since they beat Grass-types easily, while Rotom-C beats bulky Water-types. Moltres in particular is a good teammate because it also has access to U-turn and can form a VoltTurn core. Fletchinder can beat Grass-types as well, and it also has priority Acrobatics that can sweep weakened teams late-game. Entry hazards get along well with Rotom-C, [comma] making and for this reason Druddigon, Cobalion, and Rhyperior are good options to set up Stealth Rock while Accelgor and Qwilfish can set up Spikes, with the latter being able to set up Toxic Spikes as well. Since Because this particular set of Rotom-C likes to switch into bulky Water-types and Rhyperior, using it alongside with a cleric such as Aromatisse for to provide Wish support and status recovery clear status like Toxic or burns caused by Scald is useful good. Aromatisse is good at this, and Alomomola can also switch into Fire-type moves aimed at Rotom-C while still providing useful Wish support.

Choice Specs Rotom-C plays as a wallbreaker first and foremost, and for this reason, [comma] pairing it up with sweepers and late-game cleaners is ideal. Pokemon like Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary can be good teammates, [comma] because since they have access to U-turn and can lure in Rhyperior early-game for Rotom-C to kill, and they form a VoltTurn core with Rotom-C which helps gain momentum early on. In general, Choice Scarf users are good for their ability to clean up and sweep late-game and for that reason Pokemon like Delphox and Emboar can work well. Sweepers Pokemon such as Speed Boost Yanmega, Sharpedo, and Jolteon can also clean up late-game and sweep.

Other Options
########
Rotom-C doesn't have many other options, but its typing is unique and having access to a good ability in Levitate allows it to effectively run a bulky set with Rest, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch, and Leaf Storm with Chesto Berry, but it's unreliable thanks to the fact that it has no reliable STAB move and only a one-time recovery move only in Rest. A SubSplit set with Substitute, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunderbolt can be utilized, but it's outclassed by SubSeed Pokemon such as Gourgeist-S. Thunder Wave can be used on any set instead of Will-O-Wisp in case if paralysis support is needed, but Will-O-Wisp is usually better thanks to the fact that it deals indirect damage and halves Attack. Finally, a set with Rain Dance and Damp Rock along with Thunder can be a useful tool for rain teams.

Checks & Counters
########
**Grass-types**: Grass-types like Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion can switch in relatively easily because since they resist both of Rotom-C's STAB moves Rotom-C has. Although However, [comma] the former two don't like being tricked a Choice item as much.

**Pokemon That Resist Its Moves**: Druddigon can switch into any move and threaten Rotom-C it with a strong STAB attack, Fire Punch, or Gunk Shot. Registeel can Toxic Rotom-C and wear it down with Seismic Toss without much problem, although it is greatly hindered by a Choice item being tricked onto it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Delphox, Moltres, [comma] and Hitmonlee have no problem taking down Rotom-C, but they must watch out for the Choice Scarf set, although the former two can outspeed even Choice Scarf Rotom-C and KO it. Jolteon is immune to Electric-type attacks, but takes a hefty amount from Leaf Storm.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Implemented, thanks!

There's just one sentence I didn't implement and it was "Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt and gain momentum while doing a lot of damage with Volt Switch."

..because "doing a damage" sounds wrong to me..

edit: nevermind, it's dealt with :]

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Boasting a fantastic Grass / Electric typing which gives it a good STAB combination along with nice resistances, the mowing machine is by no means a faulty one. Along with its good typing, it also has Levitate, which gives it immunity to Ground-type moves and therefore lets it check notable Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Gastrodon. It also gives it immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock, making Rotom-C a good answer to Sticky Web and hazard-stacking teams if played correctly. Additionally, it has good overall stats all-around, with good Special Attack, Speed, and defensive stats. Sadly, Rotom-C is still outsped by faster threats such as Hitmonlee, Moltres, Drapion, and Delphox. It also suffers a bit from four-moveslot syndrome, as it wants to run Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Will-O-Wisp, Leaf Storm, and Trick altogether on a Choice set but can't.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========
Leaf Storm is a strong STAB move that severely hurts everything weak to it, especially Pokemon like Rhyperior and Gastrodon, while also being able to damage many Pokemon that aren't weak to it. Volt Switch is this set's main move, as it allows Rotom-C to gain momentum, while still hitting hard thanks to it havbeing a STAB typingmove. Thunderbolt is the secondary STAB move and lets Rotom-C clean late-game thanks to its reliability. Finally, Trick can cripple some common switch-ins to Rotom-C, such as Registeel and Amoonguss, for the rest of the match. Will-O-Wisp can be used along with Trick to effectively spread burns after tricking the Choice Scarf away, but isn't preferred because it removes Rotom-C's ability to clean late-game with Thunderbolt, the only reliable STAB move Rotom-C has.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed along with maximum Special Attack allows Rotom-C to be as fast as possible to outspeed slower threats such as Gallade, Braviary, and Tyrantrum, while also hitting as hard as possible. The choice between Timid and Modest comes down to whether you want it to hit harder or outspeed positive-natured Choice Scarf base 80 Pokemon such as Braviary and Adamant Hitmonlee. Choice Scarf allows Rotom-C to act as a late-game cleaner that can revenge kill threats such as Hitmonlee, Moltres, Delphox, Cobalion, and Durant, among others.

Usage Tips
========
This particular set allows Rotom-C to act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer that can be used early-game to grab momentum with Volt Switch. If the opponent's team lacks a Ground-type or a Pokemon that is immune to Electric-type immunitymoves such as Jolteon, then feel free to use Volt Switch early-game as much as possible to gain momentum. If a Pokemon that is immune to Electric-type immunity does existmoves is on the opponent's team, then use it carefully, and some prediction with Leaf Storm must be done. Leaf Storm's Special Attack drop can also cause Rotom-C to be setup fodder for Pokemon such as Braviary, Gallade, Delphox, and Moltres, so use it sparingly. Using Trick against some common switch-ins such as Amoonguss and Registeel will cripple them for the rest of the match, but think twice before using Trick against an offensive team, [comma] because it can backfire if you give the wrong Pokemon a Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========
Wallbreakers are generally work well with Rotom-C because of their ability to weaken teams so that Rotom-C can easily be cleaned late-game. For that reason, offensive Druddigon, Delphox, Exploud, Escavalier, and Moltres are good teammates. Additionally, Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn make good teammates because they create a VoltTurn core along with Rotom-C. Braviary, Swellow, Moltres, and Jolteon are good options, especially the former three, because they can lure Rhyperior and Alomomola for Rotom-C to easily get rid of.

Fire-types, specifically Moltres, make good partners for Rotom-C because of their ability to easily KO Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Registeel, all of which Rotom-C has trouble against. Entry hazards support is also something it appreciates, and Pokemon likesuch as Druddigon, Rhyperior, and Cobalion can provide Stealth Rock while Accelgor and Qwilfish provide Spikes.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========
Leaf Storm is the strongest move Rotom-C has access to and allows it to act as a wallbreaker with a Choice Specs, hitting anything that doesn't resist it ridiculously hard at the cost of lowering Rotom-C's Special Attack by two stages. Volt Switch is a STAB move that hits decently hard while also increasing momentum, and Thunderbolt is used as a reliable STAB attack without any drawbacks. Trick is to cripple common switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Registeel, and Tangrowth and make them useless for the rest of the match. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Pokemon like Amoonguss, Virizion, Tangrowth, Registeel, and Escavalier harder, while Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Druddigon and Gligar for super effective damage.

Set Details
========
The EVs allow Rotom-C to outspeed neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Braviary and Kabutops, while also providing maximum Special Attack with the rest dumped in HP for better bulk and an easier time switching into Pokemon its supposed to check. The choice between Modest and Timid comes down to whether power vs.or Speed is more important, as Modest lets Rotom-C wallbreak walls more easily and do more damage in general, while Timid allows it to outspeed positive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Gallade and Braviary. Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt and gain momentum while doing damage with Volt Switch. Expert Belt can be used, especially because Rotom-C enforces a lot of mindgames when facing Ground-types such as Rhyperior or Gastrodon, and can sometimes lure them into expecting a Volt Switch or a Thunderbolt and hit them afterwards with a Leaf Storm. In this case, it can also bluff a Choice item effectively, if it does not give away the facade by switching moves. Expert Belt is an especially good choice if Rotom-C is using Hidden Power along with hazards support.

Usage Tips
========
Rotom-C is better sent out early-game to use Volt Switch and gain momentum, especially if the opponent's team lacks an Electric-type immunity such as a Ground-type or Jolteon. If that's the case, then prediction is necessary, and using Leaf Storm in the right moment can be crucial to hurt the Electric-type immunities on the switch, but be careful of the Special Attack drop, as it can make Rotom-C setup fodder for Pokemon such as Braviary, Gallade, and Delphox. Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set aims to be more of a wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so using it early- and mid-game to weaken teams for other sweepers to clean up is ideal.

Team Options
========
Strong Fire-types likesuch as Delphox and Moltres can form an effective offensive core with Rotom-C because they beat Grass-types easily, while Rotom-C beats bulky Water-types for them. Moltres, in particular, is a good teammate because it also has access to U-turn and can form a VoltTurn core. Fletchinder can beat Grass-types as well, and it also has priority Acrobatics that can sweep weakened teams late-game. Entry hazards get alongwork well with Rotom-C, making Druddigon, Cobalion, and Rhyperior good options to set up Stealth Rock while Accelgor and Qwilfish can set up Spikes, with the latter being able to set up Toxic Spikes as well. BecauseAs this particular set likes to switch into bulky Water-types and Rhyperior, using it alongside a cleric such as Aromatisse for Wish support and status recovery useful; Alomomola can also switch into Fire-type moves aimed at Rotom-C while stillalso providing useful Wish support.

Choice Specs Rotom-C plays as a wallbreaker first and foremost, and for this reason, pairing it up with sweepers and late-game cleaners is ideal. Pokemon like Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary can be good teammates, because they have access to U-turn and can lure in Rhyperior early-game for Rotom-C to kill, and they form a VoltTurn core with Rotom-C which helps gain momentum early on-game. In general, Choice Scarf users are good for their ability to clean up and sweep late-game and for that reason, Pokemon like Delphox and Emboar work well. Pokemon such as Speed Boost Yanmega, Sharpedo, and Jolteon can also clean up late-game and sweep.

Other Options
########
Rotom-C doesn't have many other options, but its typing is unique and having access to a good ability in Levitate allows it to effectively run a bulky set with Rest, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch, and Leaf Storm with Chesto Berry, but it's unreliable thanksdue to the fact that it has no reliable STAB move and only a one-time recovery move. A SubSplit set with Substitute, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunderbolt can be utilized, but it's outclassed by SubSeed Pokemonusers such as Gourgeist-S. Thunder Wave can be used on any set instead of Will-O-Wisp if paralysis support is needed, but Will-O-Wisp is usually better thanks to the fact that it deals indirect damage and halves Attack. Finally, a set with Rain Dance and Damp Rock along with Thunder can be a useful tool for rain teams.

Checks & Counters
########
**Grass-types**: Grass-types likesuch as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion can switch in relatively easily because they resist both of Rotom-C's STAB moves. However, the former two don't like being tricked a Choice item.

**Pokemon That Resist Its Moves**: Druddigon can switch into any move and threaten Rotom-C with a strong STAB attack, Fire Punch, or Gunk Shot. Registeel can use Toxic on Rotom-C and wear it down with Seismic Toss without much ptroublem, although it is greatly hindered by a Choice item being tricked onto it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Delphox, Moltres, and Hitmonlee have no problem taking down Rotom-C, but they must watch out for the Choice Scarf set, although the former two can outspeed even Choice Scarf Rotom-C and KO it. Jolteon is immune to Electric-type attacks, but takes a hefty amount of damage from Leaf Storm.

gp 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)