Rotom-C

Bodybaggin' your whole team like groceries

[OVERVIEW]

With great typing in Electric / Grass, Rotom-C has a good STAB combination as well as a few useful resistances to Water-, Electric-, and Grass-type attacks. To complement its great typing, Rotom-C has a fantastic ability in Levitate, which grants it an immunity to Ground-type attacks as well as all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock. Additionally, it has good Speed, good Special Attack, and solid defensive stats. Despite its decent Speed, it is still left outsped by many threats in NU such as Houndoom, Hitmonlee, and Drapion when not holding a Choice Scarf. Rotom-C also is limited to running Choice sets because it is outclassed by Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Tangrowth in other roles. Its movepool is very limited as well, and it does not help that its main STAB attacks, Leaf Storm and Volt Switch, are not very reliable. Rotom-C also has issues with many Grass-types because they resist both of its STAB types and Rotom-C's coverage options to hit them are weak.

[SET]
name: IN THE CUT (Choice Scarf)
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Trick
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Leaf Storm is a very strong STAB attack that severely hurts everything weak to it and deals heavy damage to some neutral targets. Volt Switch does decent damage and also lets Rotom-C retain offensive momentum. Thunderbolt is a secondary Electric-type STAB move that is mainly used for its reliability, as Leaf Storm lowers Rotom-C's Special Attack by two stages and Volt Switch forces Rotom-C to switch out of battle. Trick is used to cripple walls that might switch into Rotom-C, such as Aromatisse and Amoonguss, heavily crippling them for the rest of the match. Will-O-Wisp is another option that can be used over Thunderbolt because it lets Rotom-C cripple Pokemon with burns after it gets rid of its Choice Scarf via Trick, though it is worth noting that Rotom-C cannot sweep late-game without Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs are used to let Rotom-C outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, including Choice Scarf Braviary, Noivern, Accelgor if Rotom-C is running a Timid nature, and Adamant Hitmonlee after Rotom-C has Tricked away its Choice Scarf. Maximum Special Attack EVs make Rotom-C hit as hard as possible. The choice between Timid and Modest depends on whether you want Rotom-C to outspeed more Pokemon or have some more power behind its attacks. Choice Scarf lets Rotom-C act as a revenge killer as well as a late-game cleaner.

Usage Tips
========

If Rotom-C is sent out early-game, use Volt Switch to grab momentum if Ground-types and Jolteon are not present. Use Leaf Storm on predicted switches to Ground-types, though be cautious in using the move, as the Special Attack drop leaves Rotom-C as setup bait for Pokemon such as Houndoom and Virizion. Once the opponent's Pokemon are weakened and Pokemon with Electric immunities are eliminated, use Thunderbolt to clean up late-game. Use Trick on walls that switch in, as it cripples them immensely; however, before getting rid of Rotom-C's Choice Scarf, make sure there are not any faster Pokemon that Rotom-C needs to keep its Choice Scarf for.

Team Options
========

Because this set serves as a revenge killer and a late-game cleaner, Rotom-C pairs excellently with powerful wallbreakers. Notable examples include Exploud, Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, and Emboar, which all appreciate coming in unscathed due to Rotom-C's Volt Switch. Other Pokemon that use either Volt Switch or U-turn, such as Cobalion, Braviary, and Flygon, are also great teammates because they can constantly retain offensive momentum against the opponent's team. Fire-types pair especially well with Rotom-C because Rotom-C takes Water- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them while Fire-types such as Emboar resist Bug-, Fire-, and Ice-type attacks aimed at Rotom-C. Setup sweepers such as Hone Claws Durant and Rock Polish Tyrantrum also pair well with Rotom-C because they can take advantage of walls that have been Tricked and gain free setup turns. Finally, entry hazards are very helpful, as they make it easier for Rotom-C to clean late-game, so Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Mega Steelix are good to pair with Rotom-C. Additionally, Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Mega Glalie are great partners because all of them are able set up Spikes; the former also is able to set up Toxic Spikes.

[SET]
name: IN THE CUT (Choice Specs)
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Leaf Storm backed by Choice Specs hits insanely hard with a drawback of lowering Rotom-C's Special Attack by two stages. Volt Switch is the main Electric-type STAB move, as it retains offensive momentum while hitting decently hard. Thunderbolt is a reliable Electric-type STAB attack that has no drawbacks and still hits really hard. Trick is used to cripple switch-ins such as Torterra, Amoonguss, Assault Vest Tangrowth, and Aromatisse. Hidden Power Fire is useful if used over Trick for Grass-type switch-ins such as Virizion and Amoonguss. It also OHKOes Choice Band variants of Escavalier from full health while easily 2HKOing Assault Vest variants.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs let Rotom-C outspeed everything up to Adamant Hitmonlee if Rotom-C is running a Timid nature, Mega Glalie before it Mega Evolves, and Mesprit. Maximum Special Attack EVs are used to let Rotom-C hit as hard as possible. The choice of either a Timid or Modest nature is up to whether you want more speed or more power. Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt that can also dish out good damage with Volt Switch. Expert Belt also has use, as it lets Rotom-C bluff having a Choice item, luring in Ground-types that think Rotom-C is locked into one of its Electric-type STAB moves. It also is useful when paired with Hidden Power Fire to surprise the Grass-types the Rotom-C lures in.

Usage Tips
========

Use Volt Switch early-game if Ground-types and Jolteon are not present to grab offensive momentum. If the opponent has a Pokemon immune to Electric on their team, try to predict their switches with a well-timed Leaf Storm. Use it carefully, though, because the Special Attack dropmeans Rotom-C becomes setup bait for the likes of Virizion and Houndoom. Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set is a wallbreaker rather than a late-game cleaner, so using it early- and mid-game is best to weaken teams for your team's sweeper to capitalize on.

Team Options
========

Strong Fire-types such as Emboar and Houndoom are great teammates because they can switch in on Grass-types that force Rotom-C out, while Rotom-C beats bulky Water-types that give them trouble, such as Qwilfish and Alomomola. Flygon is also a great partner for Rotom-C because they have decent synergy and form a VoltTurn core. Fletchinder takes on Grass-types as well while Rotom-C threatens Rhyperior, allowing Fletchinder to sweep late-game. Entry hazards work well with Rotom-C, so Cobalion, Druddigon, and Rhyperior are good options for Stealth Rock users and Qwilfish and Accelgor make for good Spikes users. Mega Glalie in particular is a very good partner because it beats problematic Grass-types for Rotom-C while also being able support Rotom-C by setting up Spikes. Because Rotom-C is a wallbreaker, setup sweepers such as Rock Polish Tyrantrum, Hone Claws Durant, and Nasty Plot Houndoom all make for excellent partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Though Rotom-C does not have many options in terms of moves, it also can run a defensively oriented set that uses Rest / Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch, and Leaf Storm with either a Chesto Berry or Leftovers, but this set is very limited because its recovery options are either one-time use or unreliable and it has inconsistent STAB moves. A SubSplit set consisting of Substitute, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunderbolt also has use, but Rotom-C is better off used as either a revenge killer or wallbreaker. Hidden Power Ice is another decent option when paired with an Expert Belt because it deals with the Dragon- and Grass-type Pokemon that Rotom-C often lures in. Charge Beam is a nifty move that can be a decent gimmick for an Expert Belt set, but its Base Power is very weak and it boosts Special Attack unreliably. Lastly, Rain Dance with a Damp Rock along with Thunder has use for rain teams because Rotom-C is one of the best rain setters, pairing well with Swift Swim users such as Kabutops, Omastar, and Ludicolo.

Checks & Counters
=================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion can switch in on both of Rotom-C's STAB moves very easily, and Virizion also potentially uses it as setup bait.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Reuniclus easily sets up Calm Mind on Choice Scarf variants and is able to set up on Choice Specs variants after Rotom-C's Special Attack has dropped from using Leaf Storm. Specially defensive Camerupt switches into Rotom-C's Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, making Rotom-C lose momentum, and it is also immune to Trick, though it does not like taking a Choice Specs-boosted Leaf Storm. In return, Mega Camerupt can either OHKO with a Fire-type attack or set up Stealth Rock predicting Rotom-C to switch out.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Houndoom, Delphox, Hitmonlee, and Choice Scarf Emboar have no problem outspeeding and taking down Rotom-C, although all of them must watch out for its Choice Scarf set. Flygon naturally outspeeds Rotom-C's Choice Specs set and is able to block Rotom-C's Volt Switch, but Flygon takes a lot of damage from Leaf Storm. Mega Glalie also outspeeds and OHKOes Rotom-C with either Return or Double-Edge and picks off weakened Choice Scarf Rotom-C with Ice Shard. Noivern outspeeds the Choice Specs set and is able to easily switch in on Leaf Storm and threaten Rotom-C with either Hurricane or Flamethrower, but it does not appreciate taking a Volt Switch.

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Quickfix: all sets should be named IN THE CUT 49 agrees

Ill do an elaborate qc check to this whenever I get computer access (on phone rn) so prob. tomorrow, but it looks really good at a glance so checking should be easy :)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Quickfix: all sets should be named IN THE CUT 49 agrees
I don't. sorry if i'm being anal about this but i really don't think all sets should have a custom set just because (goes for all analyses, not just rotom-c's). stuff like crocune are fine because it's been an urban legend of some sorts since forever. There is no reason not to simply name these choice specs, choice scarf, etc, to actually indicate what it's used for, instead of some possible inside joke or reference that the majority will miss.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Alright, keeping my promise of giving this a QC check. Like I've already said, this is a really solid skeleton IMO, so this is mostly going to consist of nitpicks.

Overview:
  • Still left outsped by Pokemon such as Houndoom, Hitmonlee, and Drapion
Worth keeping in mind that Rotom-C's most common set is Choice Scarf set and none of those Pokemon are really known for their Choice Scarf sets, so I'd change it to something along the lines of: "Outsped by Pokemon such as Houndoom, Hitmonlee, and Drapion when not running Choice Scarf"
  • Is very limited in options for Choice sets
True, but I'd also mention along with that how Rotom-C in general is limited to running Choice sets. I mean, it can run other stuff in some teams but those are mostly niche sets along the lines of Hidden Power + Expert Belt lures or Defensive sets to handle specific threats that Tangrowth, Amoonguss and other Grass-type can't (and I can't remember anything like that anyways n_n)
  • Still left walled by many Pokemon in the tier; most notably Grass-types
Arguable because Amoonguss often carry Black Sludge, but I'd add that you can cripple most switch ins with Trick (Assault Vest Tangrowth for example doesn't like receiving a Choice item. There's also Cresselia I guess)

IN THE CUT (Choice Scarf):

Moves are fine IMO. Scarf wow :)

Set Details are really straightforward in this set. You might be empathizing Choice Scarf Braviary a bit too much, but I could be wrong here I guess. Modest Rotom-C loses out on Timid Accelgor, that's worth mentioning too IMO.

Usage Tips are fine too. Maybe mentioning that teammates can abuse Tricked walls is worth it.

Team Options: Volt Switch allows you to bring wallbreakers in safely since most of them are quite lacking in bulk. That's worth adding.

I'd also consider giving Dugtrio a brief mention (Sludge Wave destroys Whimsicott switch ins. There are also people who overpredict and bring in their Fire-types against Rotom-C). Momentum grabber + Dugtrio is a pretty broken mechanic as a whole. Fine otherwise :)

IN THE CUT (Choice Specs):

Moves are the same as last set's, so they're good. Ditto for set details, usage tips and team options. Well done man n_n. Only thing I'd maybe like to see added would be how the mentioned set up sweepers can set up on walls Tricked by Rotom-C as well (for example, RP Tyrant loves having Cresselia tricked)

Other Options:

Defensively oriented set doesn't have to run Rest as recovery, it can also run Pain Split. Mention that it is an unreliable method of recovery though, making such set inconsistent and therefore outclassed.

Rain Dance Rotom-C is by far one of the best Rain Dance setters in RU and I think that you're underselling Rain's potential in RU. Amoonguss isn't as common as it once used to be, Abomasnow isn't the only Mega Evolution anymore and on top of that, RU is actually pretty stacked in abusers. Kabutops and Ludicolo are big, and there are also Seismitoad, Gorebyss, Omastar and Qwilfish. With that said, you should keep your mention just like it is right now without the last part.

Rotom-C has Reflect + Light Screen and Volt Switch on top of that. Slow Dual Screens is an option worth considering (that is, until you noticed Uxie and Cresselia outclass it pretty badly)

Charge Beam is a fun gimmick and so is this:

+2 0- Atk Rotom-C Foul Play vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Mega Abomasnow: 305-359 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

(jk, SD Abomasnow doesn't even run Lonely and Ice Shard OHKOs it anyways lol, but mention Charge Beam)

C&C:

Good. Think you could considering giving SpD Camerupt a special mention among Specially Defensive Pokemon though, because while it can't consistently tank Leaf Storms, it discourages Volt Switch spamming, is immune to Trick and can actually tank one Leaf Storm is needed.

QC CHECK 1/3

ayte, yeah, fine. i'm still of the opinion that scarf is lame, but others seem to like it, so i'll leave that well enough alone. i'd just stick to a max / max spread for specs, given how superfluous the extra 12 pts of hp are. hp fire also 3hkos curse 'lix here, which is cool b.c otherwise it can eat a leaf storm, rest into it, and pp stall from thereon in (barring crits, ofc). i also like spdef, but maybe i'll sneak it in at some later point haha. otherwise, most things have been covered here

2/3

Okay I'll implement both of your changes! wow that was fast

Also should I switch the set order around or is it fine as is?

tehy

Banned deucer.
Disclaimer not a qc member

I gotta be honest, i'd like to lobby for a stronger mention of WoW

Speaking personally, WoW is what makes the scarf set so damn hard to switch into; trick, volt switch, and WoW on top of leaf storm means nothing, i mean nothing, wants to switch in (maybe cleric Maudino pre mega evolution? And i GUESS amoonguss) I ran scarf rotom-c all of gen 5 and am on the record saying inappropriate sexual things about its Thunderbolt but IDK, just not a big fan of it this gen. Maybe provide some examples of stuff tbolt revenges too ? (Hint, durant). And like 'used for reliability' i would rather you say 'a move you can use multiple times' or something because that's the main draw (and revenging certain stuff like i said earlier)

I'd mention for leaf storm specifically its unmerciful smanging of ground-types since that's super helpful for an aspiring volt switch spammer

What does Timid scarf outspeed? Any 2hkoes Modest gets? (just wondering, that's not compulsory) this goes for specs too

If using expert belt, what would you use instead of Trick? HP fire seems like it, but the way you speak about it doesn't read to me like 'use over trick if ebelt' so, yeah. Also WoW ebelt is cool.

In case i never get to amcheck this myself;

' Rest / Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch and Leaf Storm with either a Chesto berry or Leftovers,'

Try 'Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch and Leaf Storm with either a Chesto berry and Rest or Leftovers and Pain Split' just for crystal clarity on the sets.

'Subsplit blah blah, but Rotom-C is better off used as either a revenge killer or wallbreaker.'

Just say what the set's problem is imo

What's the point of Charge Beam on choice sets? Do you mean non-choice? The latter still seems kinda bleh but whatever, on choice its like wuut? Keep in mind that it takes 2 turns to get stronger than Tbolt, can miss, and can not boost, so it's not like some great lategame cleaning tool either

Checks and counters:

SpD mlix deserves a mention, forces volt tbolt and trick failure. Can't do much back but you either Leaf Storm to hit him or can't touch him (leaf storm after the drop can be tanked by anyone anyhow)

Amoonguss rates a special mention i'd say thanks to Regenerator and to a lesser extent Black Sludge, and by 'special mention' i mean one inside the grass-types section

Faster Pokemon: what about faster scarfers? I feel like there must be at least 1, scarf phox or doomer or something.

Wheres drudd imo, find him a slot

Specially bulkmons: mention which loathe trick, note that camerupt rejects it. Could stand to mention Audino although i haven't seen it in a while

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In moves of Choice Scarf:

"rendering them useless for the rest of the match."

I don't like the extreme wording there, you could go with "heavily crippling them for the rest of the match" because Amoonguss certainly won't be useless even with a scarf as long as it has regen/spore/spammable stabs.

I'd like a mention of expert belt and HP Ice in OO. It lures dragons (mostly drudd, tyrantrum dies to leaf storm anyway) and grasses and hits them for a bit of damage.

QC approved 3/3 otherwise Hootie :]

Okay removed all mentions of Pokemon that left from the tier shift, added Kingdra as Switch Swim partner for Rain Dance Rotom-C in OO, added Noivern as check under the 'faster pokemon' category, and added Flygon as partner for both choice sets.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add / Remove / (Comments)
Overview
########
With great typing in Electric / Grass / Electric, Rotom-C has a good STAB combination as well as a few useful resistances in Water-, Electric-, and Grass-type attacks. To compliment its great typing, it Rotom-C also has a fantastic ability in Levitate which grants it an immunity to Ground-type attacks as well making it immune to to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock. Additionally, it has good overall stats with good Speed, Special Attack, and a solid defensive stats. Despite its decent Speed, it is still left outsped by many threats in NU such as Houndoom, Hitmonlee, and Drapion when not holding a Choice Scarf. Rotom-C also is limited to running Choice sets because despite its good Defenses, it is outclassed by Pokemon such as Amoonguss, (RC) and Tangrowth in that regard. Its movepool is also very limited as well and it does not help that its main STAB attacks:, (colon -> comma) Leaf Storm and Volt Switch;, (semi -> comma) are not very reliable. Rotom-C also has issues with many Grass-types because they resist both of its STABs and Rotom-C's coverage options to hit them are weak.

remove a line break
IN THE CUT (Choice Scarf)
########

Moves
========
add a line break
Leaf Storm is a very strong STAB that severely hurts everything weak to it, as well as dealing heavy damage to some neutral targets. Volt Switch is the main move on the set, (AC) as with it, it does decent damage and also retains offensive momentum. Thunderbolt is a secondary Electric STAB that is mainly used for its reliability, (AC) as Leaf Storm lower Rotom-C's Special Attack two stages, and Volt Switch forces Rotom-C to switch out of battle. Lastly, Trick is used to cripple walls that may switch into Rotom-C, such as Aromatisse or Amoonguss, heavily crippling them for the rest of the match. Will-O-Wisp is another option that can be used over Thunderbolt because it lets Rotom-C cripple Pokemon with burns Burns after it got gets rid of its Choice Scarf via Trick, though its worth noting that Rotom-C cannot late-game sweep late-game without Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========
add a line break (do this to everything else unless specified)
Maximum Speed EVs are used to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, including Choice Scarf Braviary, Accelgor if running a Timid nature, and Adamant Hitmonlee after it has Tricked its Choice Scarf. Maximum Special Attack EVs make Rotom-C hit as hard as possible. The choice between Timid and Modest nature depends on whether the user you wants to outspeed more Pokemon or have some more power behind its attacks. Choice Scarf is used to have Rotom-C act as revenge killer as well as being a late-game cleaner.

Usage Tips
========
If sent out early-game, (AC) use Volt Switch to grab momentum if Ground-types and Jolteon are not present. Use Leaf Storm on predicted switches to Ground-types, (AC) though be cautious in using the move, (AC) as Rotom-C is left as set-(remove dash)up bait after a Special Attack drop by Pokemon such as Houndoom and Virizion. Once the opponent's Pokemon are weakened and/or Pokemon with Electric immunities are eliminated, use Thunderbolt to clean up late-game. Use Trick on walls that switch in, (AC) as it cripples them immensely; though before getting rid of its Choice Scarf, make sure there are not any opposing team does not have any faster Pokemon that the team is weak to. what the heck does this mean

Team Options
========
Because this set serves as revenge killer and a late-game cleaner, Rotom-C pairs excellently with powerful wallbreakers. Notable examples include Exploud, Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, (AC) and Emboar, (AC) which all appreciate coming in unscathed due to Rotom-C's Volt Switch. Other Pokemon that use either Volt Switch or U-turn, (AC) such as Cobalion, Braviary, and Flygon are also great teammates because they can constantly retain offensive momentum against the opponent's team. Fire-types pair especially well because Rotom-C takes Water- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them while Fire-types like Emboar resist Bug-, Fire-, and Ice-type attacks aimed at Rotom-C. Set-(remove dash)up sweepers such as Hone Claws Durant and Rock Polish Tyrantrum also pair well with Rotom-C because they can abuse walls that have been Tricked and gain free set-up turns. Finally, entry hazards are very helpful, (AC) as they make Rotom-C late-game clean with ease, (AC) so Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Mega Steelix are good Stealth Rock users to pair with Rotom-C. Additionally, Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Mega Glalie are also great partners because all of them are able set up Spikes while the former also is able to set up Toxic Spikes.

remove a line break
IN THE CUT (Choice Specs)
########

Moves
========
Leaf Storm backed by Choice Specs hits insanely hard with a drawback of lowering its own Special Attack by two stages. Volt Switch is the main Electric STAB, (AC) as it retains offensive momentum while hitting decently hard. Thunderbolt is reliable Electric STAB that has no drawbacks and still hits really hard. Trick is used to cripple switch-ins like such as Torterra, Amoonguss, Assault Vest Tangrowth, and Aromatisse. Hidden Power Fire is useful if used over Trick for Grass-type switch-ins such as Virizion and Amoonguss. It also OHKO's OHKOes Choice Band variants of Escavalier from full while easily 2HKOing Assault Vest variants.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed EVs let Rotom-C outspeed everything up to Adamant Hitmonlee if running a Timid nature, Mega Glalie before it Mega Evolves, (AC) and Mesprit. Maximum Special Attack EVs are used to hit as hard as possible. The choice of either a Timid or Modest nature it is whether the user you want wants more power or more speed. Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt, while dishing out good damage with Volt Switch. Expert Belt also has use, as it bluffs a Choice item and easily lures in Ground-types that think Rotom-C is locked into one of its Electric STABs. It also is useful when paired with Hidden Power Fire to lure in Grass-types.

Usage Tips
========
Use Volt Switch early-game if either Ground-types or Jolteon are not present to grab offensive momentum. If the opponent does have has an Electric immunity on their team then try to predict their switch ins with a well timed Leaf Storm, though due its Special Attack drop, Rotom-C becomes set-(remove dash)up bait by the likes of Virizion and Houndoom, (AC) so use it carefully. Unlike its the Choice Scarf set, this set is a wallbreaker rather than a late-game cleaner, so using it early- to mid-game is best to weaken teams for sweeper to capitalize on.

Team Options
========
Strong Fire-types like such as Emboar and Houndoom are great teammates because they switch in on Grass-types that force Rotom-C out while Rotom-C beats bulky Water-types such as Qwilfish and Alomomola that give them troubles such as Qwilfish and Alomomola. Flygon is also a great partner because they have decent synergy and form a VoltTurn core. Fletchinder also takes on Grass-types as well while Rotom-C threatens Rhyperior, allowing Fletchinder to sweep late-game. Entry hazards also work well with Rotom-C, (AC) so Cobalion, Druddigon, and Rhyperior are good options for a Stealth Rock user while Qwilfish and Accelgor make good Spikes users. Mega Glalie in particular is very good partner because it beats problematic Grass-types for Rotom-C while also being able support Rotom-C by setting up Spikes. Because Rotom-C is wallbreaker, set-(remove dash)up sweepers such as Rock Polish Tyrantrum, Hone Claws Durant, and Nasty Plot Houndoom all make excellent partners.

remove a line break
Other Options
########
Though Rotom-C does not have many options in terms of moves, it also can run a defensively oriented set that uses Rest / Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch, (AC) and Leaf Storm, (AC) with either a Chesto berry Berry or Leftovers, but its it is very limited because its recovery has either a one time use or its it is unreliable as well as having inconsistent STABs. A SubSplit set consisting of Substitute, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunderbolt also has use, but Rotom-C is better off used as either a revenge killer or wallbreaker. Hidden Power Ice is another decent option when paired with an Expert Belt because it lures Dragon-, (RC) and Grass-type Pokemon. Charge Beam is a nifty move that can be a decent gimmick for an Expert Belt set, but its base power is very weak and boosts Special Attack unreliably. Lastly, Rain Dance with a Damp Rock along with Thunder has use for rain teams because its Rotom-C one of the best Rain setters;, (semi -> comma) pairing well with Swift Swim users such as Kabutops, Omastar, Kingdra, and Ludicolo.

Checks & Counters
########
**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion switch-in on both of Rotom-C STABs very easily while the latter potentially uses it as set-(remove dash)up bait.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Reuniclus easily sets-up sets up Calm Mind on Choice Scarf variants while being able to set-up setup on Choice Specs variants after its special attack Rotom-C's Special Attack has dropped from Leaf Storm. Specially defensive Camerupt switches into Rotom-C's Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, (AC) making it Rotom-C lose momentum, (AC) and it is also immune to Trick, though it does not like taking a Choice Specs-(add dash)boosted Leaf Storm. In return, Mega Camerupt can either OHKO with a Fire-type attack or set up Stealth Rock predicting Rotom-C to switch out.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Houndoom, Delphox, Hitmonlee, and Choice Scarf Emboar have no problem outspeeding and taking down Rotom-C, (AC) although all of them must watch out for its Choice Scarf set. Mega Glalie after it Mega Evolves also outspeeds and OHKOs OHKOes Rotom-C with either Return or Double-Edge and picks off Choice Scarf Rotom-C with Ice Shard when it is weakened enough with Ice Shard. Noivern outspeeds the Choice Specs set and is able to easily switch in on Leaf Storm and threaten Rotom-C with either STAB Hurricane or Flamethrower Thrower, but it does not appreciate taking a Volt Switch.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
add remove comment

please be careful when implementing checks (a reliable/faster way to implement is to click "reply" and go from there)
feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Overview
########
With great typing in Electric / Grass, Rotom-C has a good STAB combination as well as a few useful resistances in to Water-, Electric-, and Grass-type attacks. To compliment complement its great typing, Rotom-C has a fantastic ability in Levitate(comma) which grants it an immunity to Ground-type attacks as well as making it immune to to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock. Additionally, it has good Speed, (this needs an adjective here) Special Attack, and solid defensive stats. Despite its decent Speed, it is still left outsped by many threats in NU such as Houndoom, Hitmonlee, and Drapion when not holding a Choice Scarf. Rotom-C also is limited to running Choice sets because it is outclassed by Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Tangrowth in other roles. Its movepool is also very limited as well(comma) and it does not help that its main STAB attacks, Leaf Storm and Volt Switch, are not very reliable. Rotom-C also has issues with many Grass-types because they resist both of its STABs types and Rotom-C's coverage options to hit them are weak.

IN THE CUT (Choice Scarf)
########

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is a very strong STAB attack that severely hurts everything weak to it, as well as dealing and deals heavy damage to some neutral targets. Volt Switch is the main move on the set, (AC) as with it, it does decent damage and also lets Rotom-C retain retains offensive momentum. Thunderbolt is a secondary Electric-type STAB move that is mainly used for its reliability, as Leaf Storm lowers Rotom-C's Special Attack by two stages, (remove comma) and Volt Switch forces Rotom-C to switch out of battle. Trick is used to cripple walls that may might switch into Rotom-C, such as Aromatisse or and Amoonguss, heavily crippling them for the rest of the match. Will-O-Wisp is another option that can be used over Thunderbolt because it lets Rotom-C cripple Pokemon with burns after it gets rid of its Choice Scarf via Trick, though it(apostrophe)s worth noting that Rotom-C cannot sweep late-game without Thunderbolt.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs are used to let Rotom-C outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, including Choice Scarf Braviary, Accelgor if Rotom-C is running a Timid nature, and Adamant Hitmonlee after it Rotom-C has Tricked away its Choice Scarf. Maximum Special Attack EVs make Rotom-C hit as hard as possible. The choice between Timid and Modest nature depends on whether you want Rotom-C to outspeed more Pokemon or have some more power behind its attacks. Choice Scarf is used to have lets Rotom-C act as a revenge killer as well as being a late-game cleaner.

Usage Tips
========

If Rotom-C is sent out early-game, use Volt Switch to grab momentum if Ground-types and Jolteon are not present. Use Leaf Storm on predicted switches to Ground-types, though be cautious in using the move, as the Special Attack drop leaves Rotom-C is left as setup bait after a Special Attack drop by for Pokemon such as Houndoom and Virizion. Once the opponent's Pokemon are weakened and/or Pokemon with Electric immunities are eliminated, use Thunderbolt to clean up late-game. Use Trick on walls that switch in, as it cripples them immensely; though however, before getting rid of its Rotom-C's Choice Scarf, make sure there are not any faster Pokemon that Rotom-C needs to keep its Choice Scarf for.

Team Options
========

Because this set serves as a revenge killer and a late-game cleaner, Rotom-C pairs excellently with powerful wallbreakers. Notable examples include Exploud, Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, and Emboar, which all appreciate coming in unscathed due to Rotom-C's Volt Switch. Other Pokemon that use either Volt Switch or U-turn, such as Cobalion, Braviary, and Flygon(comma) are also great teammates because they can constantly retain offensive momentum against the opponent's team. Fire-types pair especially well with Rotom-C because Rotom-C takes Water- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them while Fire-types like such as Emboar resist Bug-, Fire-, and Ice-type attacks aimed at Rotom-C. Setup sweepers such as Hone Claws Durant and Rock Polish Tyrantrum also pair well with Rotom-C because they can abuse take advantage of walls that have been Tricked and gain free set(remove dash; should be "setup")up turns. Finally, entry hazards are very helpful, as they make it easier for Rotom-C to clean late-game clean with ease, so Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Mega Steelix are good to pair with Rotom-C. Additionally, Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Mega Glalie are also great partners because all of them are able set up Spikes(semicolon) while the former also is able to set up Toxic Spikes.

IN THE CUT (Choice Specs)
########

Moves
========

Leaf Storm backed by Choice Specs hits insanely hard with a drawback of lowering its own Rotom-C's Special Attack by two stages. Volt Switch is the main Electric-type STAB move, as it retains offensive momentum while hitting decently hard. Thunderbolt is a reliable Electric-type STAB attack that has no drawbacks and still hits really hard. Trick is used to cripple switch-ins such as Torterra, Amoonguss, Assault Vest Tangrowth, and Aromatisse. Hidden Power Fire is useful if used over Trick for Grass-type switch-ins such as Virizion and Amoonguss. It also OHKOes Choice Band variants of Escavalier from full health while easily 2HKOing Assault Vest variants.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs let Rotom-C outspeed everything up to Adamant Hitmonlee if Rotom-C is running a Timid nature, Mega Glalie before it Mega Evolves, and Mesprit. Maximum Special Attack EVs are used to let Rotom-C hit as hard as possible. The choice of either a Timid or Modest nature is up to whether you want more speed or more power or more speed. Choice Specs allows Rotom-C to act as a wallbreaker with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt, while dishing that can also dish out good damage with Volt Switch. Expert Belt also has use, as it lets Rotom-C bluff having bluffs a Choice item, luring and easily lures in Ground-types that think Rotom-C is locked into one of its Electric-type STAB moves STABs. It also is useful when paired with Hidden Power Fire to lure in surprise the Grass-types the Rotom-C lures in.

Usage Tips
========

Use Volt Switch early-game if either Ground-types or and Jolteon are not present to grab offensive momentum. If the opponent has a Pokemon immune to Electric an Electric immunity on their team(comma) then try to predict their switches ins with a well(dash)timed Leaf Storm. (period) Use it carefully, though, (comma) because the due its Special Attack drop, (remove comma) means Rotom-C becomes setup bait by for the likes of Virizion and Houndoom, so use it carefully. Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set is a wallbreaker rather than a late-game cleaner, so using it early- to and mid-game is best to weaken teams for your team's sweeper to capitalize on.

Team Options
========

Strong Fire-types such as Emboar and Houndoom are great teammates because they can switch in on Grass-types that force Rotom-C out(comma) while Rotom-C beats bulky Water-types that give them trouble, such as Qwilfish and Alomomola that give them troubles. Flygon is also a great partner for Rotom-C because they have decent synergy and form a VoltTurn core. Fletchinder also takes on Grass-types as well while Rotom-C threatens Rhyperior, allowing Fletchinder to sweep late-game. Entry hazards also work well with Rotom-C, so Cobalion, Druddigon, and Rhyperior are good options for a Stealth Rock users and while Qwilfish and Accelgor make for good Spikes users. Mega Glalie in particular is a very good partner because it beats problematic Grass-types for Rotom-C while also being able support Rotom-C by setting up Spikes. Because Rotom-C is a wallbreaker, setup sweepers such as Rock Polish Tyrantrum, Hone Claws Durant, and Nasty Plot Houndoom all make for excellent partners.

Other Options
########
Though Rotom-C does not have many options in terms of moves, it also can run a defensively oriented set that uses Rest / Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switch, and Leaf Storm, (remove comma) with either a Chesto Berry or Leftovers, but it this set is very limited because its recovery options are either one-time use or unreliable and it has has either a one time use or it is unreliable as well as having inconsistent STABs STAB moves. A SubSplit set consisting of Substitute, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunderbolt also has use, but Rotom-C is better off used as either a revenge killer or wallbreaker. Hidden Power Ice is another decent option when paired with an Expert Belt because it lures deals with the Dragon- and Grass-type Pokemon that Rotom-C often lures in. Charge Beam is a nifty move that can be a decent gimmick for an Expert Belt set, but its Base Power is very weak and it boosts Special Attack unreliably. Lastly, Rain Dance with a Damp Rock along with Thunder has use for rain teams because Rotom-C is one of the best rain setters, pairing well with Swift Swim users such as Kabutops, Omastar, and Ludicolo.

Checks & Counters
########
**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and Virizion can switch(remove dash, add space)in on both of Rotom-C's STABs moves very easily, (comma) and Virizion also while the latter potentially uses it as setup bait.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Reuniclus easily sets up Calm Mind on Choice Scarf variants and is able to set up while being able to setup on Choice Specs variants after Rotom-C's Special Attack has dropped from using Leaf Storm. Specially defensive Camerupt switches into Rotom-C's Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, making Rotom-C lose momentum, and it is also immune to Trick, though it does not like taking a Choice Specs-boosted Leaf Storm. In return, Mega Camerupt can either OHKO with a Fire-type attack or set up Stealth Rock predicting Rotom-C to switch out.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Houndoom, Delphox, Hitmonlee, and Choice Scarf Emboar have no problem outspeeding and taking down Rotom-C, although all of them must watch out for its Choice Scarf set. Mega Glalie also outspeeds and OHKOes Rotom-C with either Return or Double-Edge and picks off weakened Choice Scarf Rotom-C with Ice Shard when it is weakened enough. Noivern outspeeds the Choice Specs set and is able to easily switch in on Leaf Storm and threaten Rotom-C with either Hurricane or Flamethrower, but it does not appreciate taking a Volt Switch.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Before this gets uploaded mention Noivern as a target Scarf outspeeds, and mention Flygon somewhere (c&c perhaps) because even if leaf storm does a fuckton it discourages using tbolt/volt switch and has uturn.

Added both mentions, Arikado

Edit: also changed the analysis format to the new one. So this is ready to be uploaded now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)