Rotom-F (New Analysis)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ready for the Snoozing Fridge!?!

[SET]
name: Snoozing Fridge
move 1: Thunderbolt / Discharge
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A simple Rest-Talk set is one of the more popular choices on the appliance Rotom formes. What differentiates Rotom-F from its other formes is its access to an Ice-type move (Blizzard) without having to resort to Hidden Power. The downsides is that Blizzard only has 70% accuracy, so pairing this with Abomasnow is highly recommended. Additionally, Thunderbolt and Blizzard have near-perfect coverage alongside one another, mimicking BoltBeam. Discharge can also be used over Thunderbolt if the higher paralysis rate is more appealing than Thunderbolt's higher base power.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Trick
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Blizzard
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Shadow Ball
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F's respectable base 105 Special Attack and decent base 86 Speed along with a good move pool makes it an excellent user of a Choice item. Trick is useful for hindering Special Walls such as Blissey and Snorlax by burdening them with a Choice item. Thunderbolt is for obvious STAB and Blizzard complements it excellently for near-perfect coverage. Hidden Power Ground is useful for the inevitable Heatran or Magnezone switch-ins whereas Shadow Ball can be useful as a secondary STAB option and can help to wear down Cresselia. Hidden Power Fighting can also be used over Hidden Power Ground since this set barely even dents Tyranitar; however, even with Choice Specs it never OHKOes.<p>

[SET]
name: Boosting Sweeper
move 1: Charge Beam
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Thunderbolt
nature: Timid
evs: 64 HP / 232 SpA / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A set available to all of the Rotom-Formes, although it is one of the lesser used options. Charge Beam allows Rotom-F to attack while having a large chance to boost its already high Special Attack. When combined with Substitute, Rotom-F is even more capable of setting up on Blissey, a Pokemon that would normally wall a special attacking Rotom-F set. Seismic Toss has no effect on Rotom-F and Flamethrower / Ice Beam do not break Rotom-F's Substitutes due to the slight HP investment. Substitute also allows Rotom to block any Thunder Wave or Toxic that Blissey might launch at it. Shadow Ball is Rotom-F's main form of attack once it has received boosts from Charge Beam, capable of 3HKOing even 252 HP / 96 SpD Sassy Bronzong after a single boost. Hidden Power Fighting allows Rotom-F to take on incoming Tyranitar hoping to munch down on the wily ghost. After six boosts, Rotom-F is capable of 2HKOing even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey (the bulkiest Blissey that Rotom will likely encounter) with either Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is also Rotom-F's best form of attack against Scizor.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, 64 HP EVs allow Rotom-F's Substitutes to withstand any attack that Blissey is likely to use, as well as allowing Rotom to form three Substitutes in sand and five in normal weather. A Timid Nature and 212 EVs allows Rotom-f to outspeed neutral-natured Mamoswine and Lucario. Using 212 Speed EVs also allows Rotom to reach a bonus point. 236 Special Attack EVs allow Rotom-F to almost always 2HKO even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey with Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt after six boosts. Rotom also has a 38% chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Tyranitar in Sandstorm after a single boost with Hidden Power Fighting, a definite 2HKO if Tyranitar switches into Stealth Rock.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Charge Beam is a usable option if you fancy your chances for the occasional boost. Confuse Ray can be used alongside Thunder Wave or Discharge; however, Rotom-S is usually the better choice for the role as an annoyer due to its access to Air Slash. Rotom-F also has access to Dual Screens; but Rotom-W and Rotom-C are usually the better choices for that role since they have the ability to actually beat Tyranitar with a Reflect in play due to their signature moves.</p>

[EVs]
<p>If you are using Rotom-F offensively, a simple 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread with an Modest or Timid nature will suffice in almost all cases. Defensively speaking, Rotom-F can be EVed to function in many different roles. Always maximize defensive Rotom-F's rather disappointing base 50 HP and delegate the remaining EVs between Defense and Special Defense. Rotom-F tends to function well with roughly equal defensive stats with a slight emphasis on Defense. Investing 88 Speed EVs on defensive sets is also a good choice since Rotom-F will then be able to outrun Adamant Tyranitar and Scizor.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Rotom-F has a niche use in hail stall teams. Not only is it an excellent spin blocker, due to its good defenses and excellent typing, but it can usually take on the many bulky Waters that that trouble hail teams. Rotom-F is also no slouch offensively, with STAB Thunderbolt and access to Blizzard giving it a pseudo-BoltBeam it can also be a potent sweeper. For those reasons, Rotom-F can make an excellent addition to any hail team.<p>

[Counters]
<p>Offensive versions of Rotom-F can be taken on by Blissey with her massive Special Defense and HP; she must be weary of Trick however. Curse Snorlax with access to Rest to shrug off status can also use any Rotom-F without Trick as set-up fodder. Tyranitar is another excellent switch-in, having the ability to shrug off just about any of Rotom-F's attacks and kill it off with Pursuit or Crunch. Additionally, since Rotom-F is almost exclusively seen on hail teams, Tyranitar's sandstream will reduce Blizzards accuracy to 70%. However, Tyranitar must be careful not to be burnt by Will-O-Wisp, which cuts its Attack in half. Choice Specs Tyranitar is arguably the best switch-in since he not only takes minimal damage from almost any of Rotom-F's attacks, but also doesn't mind Will-O-Wisp or Trick. While Weavile cannot directly switch-in except on Blizzard, once in it can cause major problems for Rotom-F.<p>

<p>Lanturn can absorb most of Rotom-F's attacks if it lacks Hidden Power Ground. Speaking of Hidden Power Ground, if you lack Hidden Power Ground on Rotom-F, Heatran will be an excellent counter particularly if it switches into an Overheat and nets itself a Flash Fire boost. Swampert does well at handling Rotom-F, in particular Rest-Talk varieties. Spiritomb can also handle Rotom-F pretty well and bring it down with STAB Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse. Raikou can use the ever-dreaded Substitute and Calm Mind combination to set up on Rotom-F as well as blocking status or Trick.</p>

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So... I've used Rotom-F but of course I need a little help here.

- Sleep Talking set seems appropriate. I've seen it used and people like it. Charge Beam should be an option alongside Thunderbolt or as a seperate set.
- Choice Sets as always look workable. On top of that I might make a 4 Attack, 3 Attack, and 2 Attack variants. 4 Attacks foregoes Trick, 3 has Trick, and two foregoes Shadow Ball and uses Trick.
- I need to ask this before I get too hasty on this: has anyone used Blizzard / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Rest with Life Orb in the Hail alongside Aromatherapy / Heal Bell user? It was a decent set for me but I'd like a little bit of confirmation before I get bitched at for it.
- Double Screen will have Blizzard over Shadow Ball. Thunderbolt will be used obviously.
- Full or almost full emphasis on Hail for these sets and how to describe Rotom-F. I will still mention how it can work outside of Hail but has the liability of a shaky accuracy Attack (Blizzard).

Any other Rotom-F users feel free to add comments. This will get done hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday. And don't worry I'm working on the analysis as we speak (sorta).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
^ I'll look into that.

Alright, EV spreads will be outdated right now but are being worked on. Don't worry folks this will be in control in a day or two. Everything for the most part is here however.

Ready for the Snoozing Fridge!?!

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt / Discharge / Charge Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F's main advantages are a double-edged sword in reality but nevertheless rewarding. The first is being the only Rotom form to learn an Ice-type move (Blizzard) without resorting to Hidden Power Ice. There's also the benefit of working in Hail for the welcome 100% accuracy boost as well as supporting his teammates with his resistances. The downsides come from either condition sadly. Blizzard only has 70% accuracy and is shaky without the weather support. Despite that, Rotom-F makes a fine candidate for absorbing threats such as Metagross and other attacks and acting accordingly.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt and Blizzard have near-perfect coverage alongside one another, and so they are mentioned over Shadow Ball. The higher paralysis rate is a good excuse for Rotom-F to use Discharge on this set, and it still maintains good coverage. Charge Beam may seem odd to consider; however, it is still a reasonable STAB move <deleted due to repetition>. On top of that it helps power up Blizzard, since Rotom-F lacks psuedo-stab, unlike Rotom-W with rain.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ground / Rest
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When it comes to Rotom-F, four moves work fine for him. You must watch out for threats like Tyranitar more often and the Hail damage could be detrimental. With that out of the way attacking accordingly is the key to success. Thunderbolt is the best STAB move for Hail teams as they fear Water-types on top of the abundance of Steel-types, which at least are hit neutrally by Thunderbolt. Shadow Ball is also a useful STAB option to decimate Cresselia, Celebi, and any bulky Psychic and Ghost-type willing to switch into him. Blizzard is of course best used alongside Hail but works decently without it. The 70% accuracy can hurt but it can still be rewarding to use in the end. Hidden Power becomes a race of what to use. Hidden Power Grass will eliminate Swampert while Ground will flatten the usual Steel-types in OU. Keep in mind that its real use is for Heatran as Thunderbolt is 5 points less than a super effective Hidden Power Ground.</p>

<p>The difficulty of Choice Specs or Choice Scarf is solved simply by what your preferences are. Choice Specs gives Rotom a boost for his acceptable 105 Special Attack stat. On the other hand Scarf helps Rotom-F become a fascinating revenge killer, especially if you keep Timid and Scarf in mind to hurt Heatran with Hidden Power Ground , managing to outspeed all forms of Heatran.</p>

<p>While Choice Specs and Choice Scarf work well alongside his movepool, Life Orb is only useful if you have Rest in the final moveslot and a Aromatherapy or Heal Bell user beside Rotom-F. Hail damage alongside the Life Orb recoil gives roughly 16% damage each turn. Passing Wish to Rotom-F will also be acceptable on this set and allows you to remove Rest from the movepool for the most part.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice, Three Attacks
move 3: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Trick

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While Rotom-F does well with four attacks, Rotom-F also is fine with only three and having Trick. Trick is the main reason that separates it from the set listed above. By using Trick on a wall you can receive the Leftovers that you need most while crippling another Pokemon in return. Choice Specs could be a problem to swap against threats such as Zapdos and Blissey which is why Choice Scarf is an acceptable item. This also gives Rotom-F the ability to revenge-kill Heatran with Timid and Choice Scarf while still screwing the opponent over with a choice item.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Discharge / Thunder Wave
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ground / Thunderbolt
nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F's niche of being one of the few Pokemon to use two pseudo-status moves effectively is the sole purpose of this set. In Hail teams this works well due to the presence of Metagross and Yanmega smashing through the team only later to find that Rotom-F saves the day with paralysis. Here is where Will-O-Wisp could be useful but one must be careful of using it. Heatran is one thing Hail teams hate to deal with and even with Hidden Power Ground and an abundance of Water-types it's still a difficult threat to deal with. Heracross also wouldn't mind the burn status himself thanks to the Guts boost. Don't let this intimidate you out of using it but think of it as a warning.</p>

<p>If you use Thunder Wave use Thunderbolt in slot four. Otherwise Shadow Ball or Hidden Power Ground work well in here. Toxic is an option as you could effectively use Discharge, Blizzard, Will-O-Wips, and Toxic for a "triple platform" with status effects.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Screen
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Reflect
item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F can be an excellent aid of Double Screen on a Hail team. Outside of Hail this set is outclassed by Rotom-W so keep this in mind. Blizzard and Thunderbolt works best alongside one another for coverage as well as abuse of the Hail. Without Leftovers you might feel pressured for passing Wish which is why it's recommended with this set. Alongside Discharge being a good option, you can remove a screen for a status move of your choice.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Although Rotom-F has many options to consider one must remember not to make it a lesser version of the other Rotom appliances. This means Rain Dance, Thunder, and Sunny Day are out of the picture when considering Rotom-F. These moves suit better for the other forms and Rotom-F prefers the Hail anyway. Hidden Power Fire seems tempting but one must remember that many Hail teams are deadly afraid of Heatran to begin with and Hidden Power Ground will hit most of the Steel-types super effectively anyway.</p>

<p>Charge sounds gimmicky but has the ability to bolster his Special Defense if necessary. It also gives a nice boost to his Electric attacks. Ominous Wind gets a mention of another way to bolster his stats; albeit somewhat gimmicky, it still has STAB to back it up and is best used alongside the Sleep Talking sets. Spite and Protect get mentions of a way to PP stall due to the lack of Pressure.</p>

[EVs]
(Coming soon)

[Opinion]
<p>Rotom-F has a niche use in Hail teams. Being an excellent spin blocker on top of destroying the usual bulky Water-types that trouble Blizzard. There's also threats such as Metagross and Yanmega that would normally love to sweep most of a Hail team off their feet. Blizzard is Rotom-F's greatest asset for the Rotom appliances as it gives nearly perfect coverage alongside his STAB Thunderbolt. It's too bad outside of the Hail Blizzard has 70% accuracy, but it works similar to Gengar's Focus Blast: high risk, high reward.</p>

<p>Rotom-F also has the presence of its abundance of resistances. Being immune to Ghost, Normal, and Fighting and resisting Steel, Electric, Flying, Poison, and Bug give it the qualities that Spiritomb and Dusknoir lack. And on top of that Rotom-F's well-distributed stats in not only his Defenses but his Speed and Special Attack give him indefinite possibilities of movesets to consider. Not only that but having Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Wave give him the niche over many Ghost-types. His base Speed of 86 has the mention of outpacing Adamant Heracross even. The only real downfalls are the lack of a reliable recovery move alongside his weaknesses to Dark and Ghost.</p>

<p>Rotom-F should always be focused on for its niche reasons of Blizzard. Outside of Hail Rotom-F is struggling to find its niche use of abilities similar to Rotom-H and Rotom-W. Overall he desperately fears Tyranitar but at least bulky Ground-types have trouble switching into Blizzard.</p>

[Counters]
<p>When it comes to Rotom-F it is almost used solely on a Hail team. Leading as Rotom-F's number one counter is Blissey followed by Tyranitar. Blissey has massive HP and Special Defense to shrug off most of Rotom-F's attacks and status moves barely flinch her thanks to Natural Cure. Tyranitar is a different story by changing the weather to Sandstorm and crippling Rotom-F's Blizzard. This also makes Rotom-F worry a lot about Pursuit but Tyranitar must keep an eye out for Will-O-Wisp. Magnezone and Lanturn can absorb most of Rotom-F's attacks if said Rotom-F lacks Hidden Power Ground. Magnezone is slightly better in this situation thanks to the Steel-typing nullifying Toxic. Rotom-F must also keep a close eye on Heatran switches that might intercept Will-O-Wisp and fire back with STAB Fire Blast. Swampert does well once again here provided it has Rest and Sleep Talk aiding it in case of status being a bother. Keep in mind that Shadow Ball's Special Defense drops or Hidden Power Grass will wear him out.</p>

<p>Since Rotom-F usually only carry Blizzard and Thunderbolt, Ghost-types don't make a horrible switch-in provided that you know Shadow Ball is absent. Dusknoir can fire off repeated STAB Shadow Sneaks to whittle down Rotom-F's HP while Spiritomb has an abundance of moves to carry ranging from his STAB Ghost and Dark-type moves to Rest and Sleep Talk.</p>
i think thats all. e__e sleepnow

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Thanks Misaki. I think I personally need to work on my mediocre grammar skills. >_>;

Anyone think I should add Stellar's set into this analysis despite that Rotom-F is more suitable for Hail?

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Personally, on the Choice set, I prefer Hidden Power Fighting over Hidden Power Ground. Hidden Power Fighting still hits Heatran reasonably hard, and prevents Rotom-F from becoming a sitting duck against Tyranitar.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Yeah, I agree GS. Putting that as an option over Ground. Or maybe just use HP Fighting / HP Ground and mention merits of each one?

Here is where I might require some help. Overlooking this I've noticed I wrote a little "too much perhaps" about using this in Hail. Has anyone used this Rotom effectively outside of Hail? Should I try to remove some of it and such? And what about Stellar's special sweeper, should this be added and noted that it should (never) be used in Hail?

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt / Discharge / Charge Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F's main advantages are a double-edged sword in reality but nevertheless rewarding. The first is being the only Rotom form to learn an Ice-type move (Blizzard) without resorting to Hidden Power Ice. There's also the benefit of working in Hail for the welcome 100% accuracy boost as well as supporting his teammates, thanks to its resistances. The downsides come from either condition sadly. Blizzard only has 70% accuracy and is shaky without the weather support. Despite that, Rotom-F makes a fine candidate for absorbing attacks from threats such as Metagross and other Pokemon and acting accordingly. (This sentence is really odd, I don't know what you were getting at.)</p>

<p>Thunderbolt and Blizzard have near-perfect coverage alongside one another, and so they are mentioned over Shadow Ball. The higher paralysis rate is a good excuse for Rotom-F to use Discharge on this set, and (remove 'it') still maintain good coverage. Charge Beam may seem odd to consider; however, it is still a reasonable STAB move. On top of that it helps power up Blizzard, since Rotom-F lacks psuedo-stab, unlike Rotom-W with rain.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground / Rest
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When it comes to Rotom-F, four moves work fine for it. You must watch out for threats like Tyranitar more often and the Hail damage could be detrimental. With that out of the way, attacking accordingly is the key to success. Thunderbolt is the best STAB move for Hail teams as they fear Water-types as well as the abundant Steel-types, which at least are hit neutrally by Thunderbolt. Shadow Ball is also a useful STAB option to decimate Cresselia, Celebi, and any bulky Psychic or Ghost-type willing to switch into Rotom-F. Blizzard is of course best used alongside Hail, but works decently without it, and even though it only has 70% accuracy, it can work well in the end. When choosing a Hidden Power, it becomes a race of what to use. Hidden Power Fighting gives Rotom-F a fighting chance against Tyranitar while Ground will flatten Magnezone and Heatran harder than Thunderbolt normally would. Remember that a super effective Hidden Power Ground is slightly weaker than a neutral Thunderbolt on things that are only 2x weak to it.</p>

<p>The difficulty of Choice Specs or Choice Scarf is solved simply by what your preferences are. Choice Specs gives Rotom a boost for its acceptable 105 Special Attack stat. On the other hand, Scarf helps Rotom-F become a fascinating revenge killer, especially if you keep Timid and Scarf in mind to hurt Heatran with Hidden Power Ground, managing to outspeed all forms of Heatran.</p>

<p>While Choice Specs and Choice Scarf work well alongside his movepool, Life Orb is only useful if you have Rest in the final moveslot and a Aromatherapy or Heal Bell user beside Rotom-F. Hail damage alongside the Life Orb recoil gives roughly 16% damage each turn, so you really need the recovery, or Rotom-F won't be lasting long. Passing Wish to Rotom-F nullifies the use of Rest and allows Rotom-F to carry the fourth move safely.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice, Three Attacks
move 3: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Trick

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Trick is the main reason that separates it from the set listed above. Using Trick on a wall allows Rotom-F to obtain Leftovers while also crippling the receiver of the Choice item. Choice Specs could be a problem to swap against threats such as Zapdos (remove 'and Blissey'), which is why Choice Scarf is an acceptable item. This also gives Rotom-F the ability to revenge-kill Heatran with Timid and Choice Scarf while still screwing the opponent over with a choice item. In this set while Shadow Ball gives another excellent STAB option, Hidden Power Fighting is appealing since locking yourself into either Thunderbolt or Blizzard make Tyranitar care less most of the time and easily thwart your plans with STAB Pursuit.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Discharge / Thunder Wave
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ground / Thunderbolt
nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F's niche of being one of the few Pokemon to use two pseudo-status moves effectively is the sole purpose of this set. In Hail teams this works well due to the presence of Metagross and Yanmega smashing through the team only later to find that Rotom-F saves the day with paralysis. Here is where Will-O-Wisp could be useful, but one must be careful of using it. Heatran is one thing Hail teams hate to deal with, and even with Hidden Power Ground and an abundance of Water-types it's still a difficult threat to take on, so don't throw around Will-O-Wisp randomly if you expect a Heatran switch. Heracross also wouldn't mind the burn status himself thanks to the Guts boost. Don't let this intimidate you out of using it, but think of it as a warning.</p>

<p>If you use Thunder Wave, use Thunderbolt in slot four. Otherwise Shadow Ball or Hidden Power Ground work well in here. Toxic is an option as you could effectively use Discharge, Blizzard, Will-O-Wisps, and Toxic for a "status platform" with status effects.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Screen
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Reflect
item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-F can be an excellent aid of the two Screens on a Hail team. Outside of Hail, this set is outclassed by Rotom-W, so keep this in mind when using it. Blizzard and Thunderbolt work best alongside one another for coverage as well as abuse of the Hail. Without Leftovers, you might feel pressured for passing Wish, which is why it's recommended with this set. Alongside Wish, Discharge being a good option, you can remove a screen for a status move of your choice.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Although Rotom-F has many options to consider one must remember not to make it a lesser version of the other Rotom appliances. This means Rain Dance, Thunder, and Sunny Day are out of the picture when considering Rotom-F. These moves suit better for the other forms and Rotom-F prefers the Hail anyway. Hidden Power Fire seems tempting but one must remember that many Hail teams are deadly afraid of Heatran to begin with and Hidden Power Ground will hit most of the Steel-types you'd be trying to hit Super effectively anyway.</p>

<p>Charge sounds gimmicky but has the ability to bolster his Special Defense if necessary. It also gives a nice boost to his Electric attacks. Ominous Wind gets a mention of another way to bolster his stats; albeit somewhat gimmicky, it still has STAB to back it up and is best used alongside the Sleep Talking sets. Spite and Protect get mentions of a way to PP stall due to the lack of Pressure.</p>

[EVs]
<p>More defensive sets should focus on HP first. From there, figuring out where to put the remaining EVs is a difficult task. For a balance of defenses you can use 76 Def and 180 SpD EVs with a Bold nature, or 76 SpD and 180 Def EVs with a Calm nature. If you want Rotom-F slightly bulkier on one side of the spectrum, but still somewhat defensive on the other, use 120 SpD / 136 Def EVs with a Calm nature, or 120 Def / 136 SpD EVs with a Bold nature. Of course, you can simply max out one defense stat and ignore the other. Without Hidden Power Fighting and Will-O-Wisp, outpacing Tyranitar shouldn't be on Rotom-F's to-do-list so don't attempt it with Speed EVs.</p>

<p>The offensive sets should stick with max Special Attack and Speed. The remaining EVs can be tossed into either defense. This allows Rotom-F to step into Stealth Rock while taking minimum damage from it. A Modest or Timid nature will satisfy those sets. The former gives Rotom-F a boost in power, the latter a little more Speed to take on Adamant Lucario and Jolly Mamoswine.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Rotom-F has a niche use in Hail teams. Being an excellent spin blocker on top of destroying the usual bulky Water-types that trouble Hail team's Ice-type attacks. There's also threats such as Metagross and Yanmega that would normally love to sweep most Hail teams, that Rotom-F can stop cold. Blizzard is Rotom-F's greatest asset for the Rotom appliances as it gives nearly perfect coverage alongside his STAB Thunderbolt. It's too bad outside of the Hail Blizzard has 70% accuracy, but it works similar to Gengar's Focus Blast; high risk, high reward.</p>

<p>Rotom-F also has the presence of its abundance of resistances. Being immune to Ghost, Normal, and Fighting and resisting Steel, Electric, Flying, Poison, and Bug give it the qualities that Spiritomb and Dusknoir lack. And on top of that Rotom-F's well-distributed stats in not only his Defenses but his Speed and Special Attack give him indefinite possibilities of movesets to consider. Not only that but having Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Wave give him the niche over many Ghost-types. His base Speed of 86 has the mention of outpacing even Adamant Heracross. The only real downfalls are the lack of a reliable recovery move, and his weaknesses to Dark and Ghost.</p>

<p>Rotom-F should always be focused on for its niche reasons of Blizzard. Outside of Hail, Rotom-F is struggling to find its niche use of abilities similar to Rotom-H and Rotom-W. Overall he desperately fears Tyranitar but at least bulky Ground-types have trouble switching into Blizzard.</p>

[Counters]
<p>When it comes to Rotom-F it is almost used solely on a Hail team. Leading as Rotom-F's number one counter is Blissey followed by Tyranitar. Blissey has massive HP and Special Defense to shrug off most of Rotom-F's attacks and status moves barely flinch her thanks to Natural Cure. Tyranitar is a different story by changing the weather to Sandstorm and crippling Rotom-F's Blizzard. This also makes Rotom-F worry a lot about Pursuit, but Tyranitar must keep an eye out for Will-O-Wisp. Magnezone and Lanturn can absorb most of Rotom-F's attacks if said Rotom-F lacks Hidden Power Ground. Magnezone is slightly better in this situation thanks to the Steel-typing nullifying Toxic. Rotom-F must also keep a close eye on Heatran switches that might intercept Will-O-Wisp and fire back with STAB Fire Blasts. Swampert does well once again here provided it has Rest and Sleep Talk aiding it in case of status being a bother. Keep in mind that Shadow Ball's Special Defense drops or Hidden Power Grass will wear him out.</p>

<p>Since Rotom-F usually only carry Blizzard and Thunderbolt, Ghost-types don't make a horrible switch-in provided that you know Shadow Ball is absent. Dusknoir can fire off repeated STAB Shadow Sneaks to whittle down Rotom-F's HP while Spiritomb has an abundance of moves to carry ranging from his STAB Ghost and Dark-type moves to Rest and Sleep Talk.</p>
It's easier to not refer to Rotom-F as a "he" because you'd have to do that for the entire analysis.

Some of your sentences didn't make sense, so I changed them around a little, and added more commas, so look for those.

On the Dual Screen set, you might want to mention why Rotom-W does it better, and you also might want to mention HP Grass in the Other Options, because you mention it in the Counters.

Thanks, have a nice day. ^__^

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was going to go through this, but I planned on doing it when it was more finished. I probably still will later.

I don't agree with referring to Rotom-F as a 'he' since it's genderless; so it should definitely be called 'it' or 'Rotom-F'.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
This was written way back when. I'll catch the changes. Unfortunately I can't do it today or tommorrow, but I'll attempt to get around it.

<p>Rotom-F also has the presence of its abundance of resistances. Being immune to Ghost, Normal, and Fighting and resisting Steel, Electric, Flying, Poison, and Bug give it the qualities that Spiritomb and Dusknoir lack. And on top of that Rotom-F's well-distributed stats in not only his Defenses but his Speed and Special Attack give him indefinite possibilities of movesets to consider. Not only that but having Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Wave give him the niche over many Ghost-types. His base Speed of 86 has the mention of outpacing Adamant Heracross even. The only real downfalls are the lack of a reliable recovery move alongside his weaknesses to Dark and Ghost.</p>
Rotom-F is not immune to ghost.
Small but important.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I'm considering starting over, since I don't like the prose / etc. I don't have a set deadline for this, but please hand out suggestions if you'd like to.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just posting this here, but it is really relevant to all the Rotom analyses.

Rotom-C is now known as Rotom-M (mow Rotom)
Rotom-S is now known as fan Rotom, so we're going to have to do something to distinguish it from frost Rotom.

Also, more of a technical note, one which I've been meaning to post for some time. I feel that the Boosting Sweeper's EV spread should be changed to 108 HP / 200 SpA / 200 Spe. I used this Rotom set extensively during the Latios test period, and I'll explain why I think this is a superior spread.

The set's forte is that it can set up on and proceed to beat Blissey. While the current 64 HP spread's subs always survive a Flamethrower from 0 SpA Blissey, many Blissey run a spread with 80 SpA, and 64 HP Rotom's subs won't always survive this. Being able to have intact subs is essential in setting up on Bliss, as otherwise you will not be able to get to +6 SpA with Charge Beam, ala you will not be able to beat Bliss.

With 108 HP EVs, Rotom's subs will only be broken by an 80 SpA Blissey 6.25% of the time. The SpA EVs are enough to 2HKO Blissey on average at +6, and the 200 Spe is still enough to outspeed Adamant Lucario, even taking into account the 30 Spe IV from using HP Fighting (31 IV with 200 EVs gives you a stat of 283). 108 HP gives Rotom a HP divisible by 4, meaning no HP is wasted when making subs, and you get the largest HP you can in these subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)