Rotom-F (WIP)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not 100% done yet but I thought I would get the sets down at least.

[Overview]

• Hail gives Rotom-F a new lease on life since it must use Blizzard.
  • Electric-Ice typing has ridiculous offensive coverage, but very few resistances to come in on.
  • 86 Speed makes it a great Choice Scarfer, especially since its immune to Scarf Flygon Earthquake.
  • A SubSplit set works wonders in Hail, stalling out attackers with residual damage.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• STAB attacks cover everything except Lanturn, Shedinja, Rotom-F, and Rotom-H for neutral damage.
  • Blizzard is powerful enough to 2HKO Swampert after SR and Hail damage.
  • Thunderbolt hits Water and Steel types trying to sponge Blizzard, especially Empoleon.
  • Volt Switch lets Rotom-F maintain momentum against threats it can't do much to.
  • Trick will cripple walls such as Snorlax and Umbreon that get in the way of a Rotom-F sweep.
[Additional Comments]

• more coming later
[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]

[Additional Comments]

[SET]
name: SubSplit
move 2: Discharge / Thunderbolt
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Pain Spilt
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

[Additional Comments]

[Other Options]

• Charge Beam is actually pretty nifty
  • Shadow Ball can hit some Psychics for SE but it actually does less damage to them than Blizzard.
  • Will-o-wisp is really handy to Burn Fighting-type attackers
[Counters]

• Snorlax
  • Strong bulky Fire types (Arcanine, Victini)
  • Raikou can CM on some sets
  • Faster Fighting-types, especially Cobalion
  • Lanturn
  • Swampert can come in on an Electric move but is 2HKOed by Blizzard

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As a rule of thumb, never merge Choice sets. Scarf and Specs/Band sets never play the same, so they should get separate analyses.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm a big fan of LO on SubSplit. With Pain Split, the passive damage is negated well, and the power is really nice. It plays like a faster but weaker SubSplit Chandelure. I honestly thought LO was standard on all SubSplits, lefties might be worth a slash but I think LO should be first.

cim

I'm a big fan of LO on SubSplit. With Pain Split, the passive damage is negated well, and the power is really nice. It plays like a faster but weaker SubSplit Chandelure. I honestly thought LO was standard on all SubSplits, lefties might be worth a slash but I think LO should be first.
I'll make it the primary slash. I don't have much experience with SubSplitters, I was just testing it and using Leftovers to give me more chances at full paralysis with Discharge.

If you're gonna put Life Orb over Leftovers on the SubSplit set (which I'd think is the best thing to do, since they tend to work well together), I'd highly suggest making Thunderbolt the primary slash over Discharge. The higher paralysis chance isn't usually worth the loss in power, similarly to Scald v. Surf on offensive Water-types (and Thunderbolt actually has a chance of paralysis, unlike Surf). That is, of course, for analyses at least. And I know it just goes as a matter of personal preference, but imo SubSplit should be the first set, followed by the Choice sets (I don't know the exact order). I've been trying ouy SubSplit @ LO extensively , and it's pretty amazing, usually allowing me to beat Snorlax one on one with Rocks and one layer of T-Spikes.

cim

I should finish this today, I'll be making the following changes in addition to doing the rest of the skeleton

Set order will be Scarf, Split, Specs. Scarf is first since Rotom-F is THE revenge killer in Hail - it outruns Heracross and has Levitate for Flygon which is huge. Other, faster offensive Ice types are either not really used with Hail (Weavile) or have much more important things to do (Froslass). SubSplit is good, and while Specs is fine there are other Pokemon that can do what it does so it's secondary to the other two.

Split will be primarily LO / Thunderbolt with Leftovers / Discharge as an option for a more stally strategy.

While you're right that the electric appliances are at an awesome Speed tier for UU, and it's an awesome revenge killer under Hail, I wouldn't mention revenging Heracross as a useful trait on it, it's way too situational:
252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 177-208 (58.8 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and weather
In return, Heracross only needs SR (and not being locked into Earthquake / Aerial Ace)
252 Atk Heracross Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-F: 180-213 (74.68 - 88.38%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So essentially, Rotom-F needs Heracross to have switched into SR twice and have taken two rounds of Hail damage to be OHKOed or have been hit, which doesn't usually happen if Hera's played well. In return, Heracross beats it with its 3 standard moves, assuming they hit.

That said, any Scarf Rotom is awesome, so I won't question it being the first set, lol

EDIT: Never mind, it revenges Hera if 'ts locked into Close Combat. It's still a little situational—since Hera at -1,-1 will probably switch out for fear of being killed, unless something else can take advantage of the switch—but rather effective either way. Choice Scarf as number one set is perfectly fina

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)