Rotom Forms

Rotom-W and -H are the only ones that have benefited from the change. I think that Rotom-H in particular will become much more offensive. Electric/Fire offers pretty good offensive coverage, as well as being decent defensively.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
the grass rotom can make a better use of leaf storm than celebi. heres my set for grass rotom.

rotom
nature: modest
item: choice scarf
ev's: 252 sp.atk, 252 spe,4 def
moves:
leaf storm
thunder bolt
trick
shadow ball

with the abundance of rocks and waters leaf storm takes care of them. also a scarf rotom can easily ohko shandeera with shadow ball. thunderbolt is also a good reliable stab covering many pokemon that wall off a grass and ghost combo like skarmory.

Rotom-W and -H are the only ones that have benefited from the change. I think that Rotom-H in particular will become much more offensive. Electric/Fire offers pretty good offensive coverage, as well as being decent defensively.
It can be a good offensive combination but IMO Fire/Electric type is a bad elemental combination in defensive, being weak to Rock (and therefore to StoneEdge and SR) and Water (to Waterfall, Surf, BoiledWater, HidroPump, Aquatail and AcuaJet) both are elemental types very used.

Just because its no longer a TM, doesn't mean SR isn't gonna be as big as it was before. In fact it may be more prevalent now due to Pokemon like Shandera and Urugamosu being on the loose.
I find it very unlikely that SR is going to be nearly as prevalent in BW as it is now. The loss of SR as a TM obviously does not mean that any fewer Pokemon can use it, just that many illegal breeding combinations will arise where the non-SR sets may be preferable. And the loss of 5 spin blockers is arguably a lot more devastating than adding 2 useful SR-weak Pokemon.

Say bai to the five best spinblockers in the game (Giratina-o) says hi.

Rotom-W is the best of the batch, with Rotom-F getting the best possible STAB, but no reliable move. Rotom-H also gets a pretty good attacking STAB.

They lost a lot, but still retain Levitate, and do get amazing STABs. (All except for Rotom-S really).

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Wow, how can people not LOVE these new types? We lost a spin blocker, but so what? We gained 5 new pokes. I'll take that any day :D
Each rotom has a gorgeous niche.

Heat: Amazing typing and levitate to cover its x4 weakness.
Wash: Gorgeous bulky water with amazing typing.
Frost: Boltbeam STAB? Do want. Even with Blizzard's shake accuracy.
Fan: Double ground immunity
Cut: Well...Not too sure on this one. >_>

Whatever. I absolutely love these changes. I'd also love to see a stealth rock decrease, but I know that's not gonna happen. There's still a plethora of spin blockers.
We didn't just lost 1 spin blocker. We lost five...

We didn't just lost 1 spin blocker. We lost five...
We lost three notable ones: Rotom-H, Rotom-W, and Rotom-C were around or above the general OU cutoff, while Rotom-F was pretty much a hail exclusive that saw little use and Rotom-S was just "lol" anyway.

We gained a Pokemon with perfectly accurate dual STAB BoltBlizzard in Hail resisted only by Lanturn, Magnezone, and Rotom-F itself, an Electric/Flying that's still "lol" but will probably do well somewhere (if not OU at least due to outclassment by Boruterosu and Zapdos,) an even better Scizor counter, a Pokemon with only one weakness that's a GREAT Bulky water counter, and a Pokemon that gets STAB Leaf Storm AND good coverage AND good bulk.

And we gained Desukaan the absurdly bulky, Burunkeru the amazingly synergized with Natoorei, Goruugu the tankly, and Dusclops the Prevo stone abuser. That's a let loss of minus one notable spinblockers: I.E. we gained more usable spinners than we lost. And I'm not even counting Shanderaa here...

And just because the meta is different doesn't mean it's BAD or ruined, BTW.

Fan Rotom is SO MUCH troll. Flying type with Levitate. Cool. But Wash Rotom will dominate in the brand new infinite rain with 100% accurate STAB Thunder and Double STAB Hydro Pump. And Oven Rotom is awesome because of 4x Ground weakness an Levitate haha. And Fridge Rotom has STAB BoltBeam but Blizz instead of Ice Beam... mostly only good on hail teams. If it had Ice Beam... Different story.

^Lol its sad but i will probably start using it.I mean the typing was really really good.Man im so pissed about this >___>....This is even worse then Explosion nerf =L.
Well if they wanted to nerf SR why not just make Rapid spin some no immunity type or something >__> no need to destroy a awesome Revenge killer's Stabs on the process.But i suppose the Water/Electric is quite unique and is probably going to be a top tier threat from what ive seen.

I wonder if the normal Rotom form will be viable in the higher tiers at all, now that it has a unique type combination (and a very good one at that).
However, normal Rotom does not have as defensive stats as Rotom-A. Even offensivlely, normal rotom is outclassed by rotom-a.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my opinion, the removal of Rotom-A's ghost typing was a step taken by Gamefreak to reduce the effectiveness of stall.
Its funny how people think Game Freak actually cares about competitive battling strategies. Game Freak does not even look at how it would effect the metagame before putting something in the game. They check weather or not it would be interesting, cool, necessary or something else for in game play and then if it works, the keep it.

However, this is one change that they got right. New type combos are cool. I particularly like Electric/Grass. And before you go yelling about how the type combo is not good competitively, I just want to say, there is more to a Pokemon then just how good it is in your metagame. Plus, new type combos are always cool.

lol, and the flying ghost keeps levitate...marvelous XD

also, the fact that it looses explosion immunity isnt a big deal because of the explosion nuke (In My opinon)

It looks like Rotom-frost could be a potent hail sweeper, with something like thunderbolt/blizzard/shadow ball/filler, which gives it unresisted neutral coverage.

This is actullay a good change IMO. R-Frost can be used on hail teams now, withoput damage. Heat gets its 4x ground taken away, ands only weak to water.

Rotom-W now has an amazing defensive typing with respectable defense stats, access to every good status inducer (toxic, WoW, confuse ray, thunder wave), Pain Split if you transfer over from HG/SS, double resistance to steel, and one weakness that has overall horrible coverage. Oh, and his weight is .7 lbs, so Grass Knot is basically worthless. And that's just his defense capabilities. If Nintendo continues to allow ubers in the VGCs, expect to see this guy a lot. Losing immunity to Explosion and Rapid Spin isn't as huge in this gen, as Explosion has been nerfed and Stealth Rock is going to be illegal with many of the new DW abilities. My only fear is how common place Perversity Leaf Storm Jaroda and Pokemon with Mold Breaker abilities (many DW pokemon and the new signature legends) are going to be.

Rotom wash will be the best tank of the bunch... kinda like lanutrn but with an imunity to earthquake rather than thunderbolt

Rotom heat mow and fridge will be better offensivly due to their secondary attacks... fridge being a monster in the hail, mow being decent against rocks, and fire being an excelent scizor and nattorei killer.

That leaves rotom fan... whos eclipsed by zapdos as a wall (though it does get WoW), and borotosu (however you spell it) as a sweeper. It gets some options over either... but not enough to ever warrant it a team spot aside from the possibility that maybe it can function in gravity (still dunno if that true... I don't think it is, but its got a lot of people convinced)

I know this is a pretty big bump, and I apologize for that, but now that I've gotten impatient enough to start on PO, I've seen more Jalordas and Brelooms than I know what to do with. I'm honestly running into more problems with Rotom-W than Rotom-H. Part of the issue is that I tend to run a balanced team with a wish-passer, and the two that I've been using most often are Mamanbou (fairly decent, but not amazing) and Vaporeon (about as good as before, maybe slightly less bulky feeling). The mutual weakness to grass runs me into problems frequently, and I have severe difficulties in passing a wish to Rotom-W.

Part of the problem may be that I run hidden power [electric] instead of ice beam, due to some bad experiences with Gyarados. I can switch over to ice beam without too much issue, as Rotom-W counters Gyarados very reliably if I give him a scarf, instead of my current specs set (which gets worn down and outsped too much for my tastes). Despite this, I'm experiencing a genuine disappointment in Rotom-W, at least on my teams.

He's still absolutely maddening to face though, since I can't fucking get rid of him ever!

Rotom-H is the best Scizor counter I could've possibly asked for. The third time I switched my Heatran in on a Scizor who U-turned out to a Magnezone or Shandera with HP[ground] (or fighting, I guess) was the last. There probably would've been a Dugtrio popping up within a few more battles. I can't even fix that problem with a balloon, because U-turn pops it. I switched to Rotom-H and I stopped having those problems. Of course now I have a tougher time against dragons, but I'm considering adding a Mamoswine.

In summation, my experience is that Rotom-H has narrower uses than Rotom-W, but it accomplishes those particular goals more efficiently.

Rotom wash will be the best tank of the bunch... kinda like lanutrn but with an imunity to earthquake rather than thunderbolt

Rotom heat mow and fridge will be better offensivly due to their secondary attacks... fridge being a monster in the hail, mow being decent against rocks, and fire being an excelent scizor and nattorei killer.

That leaves rotom fan... whos eclipsed by zapdos as a wall (though it does get WoW), and borotosu (however you spell it) as a sweeper. It gets some options over either... but not enough to ever warrant it a team spot aside from the possibility that maybe it can function in gravity (still dunno if that true... I don't think it is, but its got a lot of people convinced)
I imagine Lawnmower Form will still make Swampert soil himself, as well as threaten bulky waters. But is it outclassed by Jalorda? I see Mower's Levitate, better movepool, and dual stabs as a saving grace, but Contrarian really is a huge boon for the snake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)