Rotom-Heat qc 2/3 write up kinda in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
qc 2/3

[Overview]

Rotom Heat's claim to fame is its Electric/Fire typing, which combined with levitate, allows it to check many of Doubles OU's top-tier threats, including Mega Charizard Y, Aegislash, Mega Metagross, Amoonguss, Venusaur, and Thundurus. Especially useful is its ability to beat the popular sun core of Charizard Y and Venusaur, making it a hard stop to sun teams. However, our brave little toaster does have some flaws. It has weaknesses to common rock and water-types in the tier, such as Keldeo, Diancie, and Terrakion. In addition to this, Rotom-Heat must be used with care considering its only form of fire stab is Overheat, which causes SpAtk drops, and the fact that it is easily worn down to a point where it cannot properly check things it is supposed to. However, with smart play, these problems can be minimized.

Overview

########

Pros:

-Good typing and ability, giving it buttloads of resists
-unlike other fire types like char y, heatran, etc. doesn't get ohko'd by lando t
-can check/counter top tier doubles threats like char y, aegislash, metagross, talonflame, thundurus, and amoonguss
-great way to beat sun teams-> beats char+venu (with safety goggles)
-no other mon can check all the things that it can
Cons:
-Aforementioned typing gives it weaknesses to rock and water type moves, which is pretty meh
-Overheat is a fairly unreliable stab move, and using it forces you out
-tends to get worn down quickly, making it difficult to make use of its typing
-is often dead weight against rain teams

Bulky Support
########
name: Bulky Support
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Will 'o' Wisp/Thunder Wave
move 4: Protect
ability: Levitate
item: Safety Goggles/Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 24 Spatk / 76 Spdef
nature: Calm

Moves
========

-Overheat is a strong stab move that is needed to beat the things that rotom heat should be switched in on. However, one should be careful when using it because the spatk drops usually force you to switch out.
-Thunderbolt is what you should be clicking most of the time, because you dont get drops like you do from using overheat. It lets you hit shit like char y, t flame etc. It can also be used to hit water types that threaten rotom on the switch in.
-Will o wisp lets rotom heat cripple physical attackers, greatly adding to its utility and durabilty. However, thunder wave is a solid alternative if your team requires speed control, or if you already have lots of insurance against physical attackers
-Protect lets you scout out opponents moves while your partner kills threats to rotom or whatever. Its doubles, you run protect, goddamit.

Set Details
========

-Safety goggles lets you absorb spores and sleep powders, making it easier to switch into stuff like amoonguss and venusaur
-if you already have switchins to spore, sitrus is better
-levitate is the only option for ability, is a great ability tho- lets you avoid ground moves. Be careful of Kyurem Black and Excadrill, because they can carry teravolt and mold breaker respectively which let them hit rotom heat with their ground type moves
-max hp
-defence investment will let it always survive mega kangaskhan's double edge, and mega diancie's diamond storm, factoring in spread for the latter. In addition, scarf landorus-t's rock slide will never 2hko, allowing you to stay in and will o or w/e
-the spdef investment allows you to avoid the ohko from rotom wash's hydro pump and avoid the 2hko from aegislash's shadow ball

Usage Tips
========

-rotom heat is best used as a pivot, switching in on attacks that don't threaten it and scaring out the mons it checks/counters
-be careful about your switches though, as rotom heat doesn't have reliable recovery, and can be worn down quickly
-only use overheat when you're absolutely sure it will get a kill. Once rotom is at -2, it has absolutely zero offensive presence, so you will be forced to switch, or only use status moves.
-rotom heat's biggest niche is its ability to put a hard stop to charizard, and venusaur. If you're going to use it, you should only do so if your team is really weak to sun teams.

Team Options
========

-wide guard support is helpful for rock slides- aegislash is good here, though you can try other wide guard users if you're feeling adventurous
-grass types like amoonguss can beat the water and rock types that threaten rotom with their stabs, they also help against rain, which rotom heat is p much useless against
-fighting types like keldeo and terrakion beat kyurem b, hydreigon, and rock types for rotom, while rotom beats and talonflame
-Dragons like kyurem black, hydrei, and latios help against rain and appreciate rotom handling steel types.
-Rotom heat can be used in the ever-popular fire/water/grass cores with other bulky pokemon like ferrothorn, amoonguss, azumarill, gyarados, and suicune; to name a few

Other Options
########

-scarf is usable trick, t bolt, overheat, and hp ice is damn cool. lets it beat cm cress, and a bunch of other shit. If you do use scarf, know that once you lose your surprise factor, its not very useful. rotom wash is probably better at this though.
-chesto rest is a cool idea, and still lets it switch into spore users, dunno if its worth mentioning, its pretty niche
-volt switch lets you maintain momentum after you need to switch out because of overheat drops, but is hard to justify running over thunderbolt or will o wisp
-LO, 168 Spatk and Modest lets you ohko char y. only use it if you really need char dead tho, cuz lo is pretty meh on rotom otherwise
-i mentioned hp ice before, but it lets rotom act as a good lure for landorus, though you need some investment to get the ohko
-Electroweb is sorta viable. t wave is usually better tho

Checks & Counters
########

Typing Advantage-

-dragon types like hydreigon, kyub, and lati@s can easily switch in and wall rotom's dual stabs, and hit it hard in return.
-faster water or rock types (keldeo, diancie, terrakion) can outspeed and hit rotom h hard
-though rotom-h has levitate, it still has to watch out for excadrill's mold breaker earthquake or drill run, and kyurem-b's teravolt earth power

Opposing Weather-
rotom heat gets shafted by rain lol
I guess it loses to t tar too but who actually runs t tar?

Other-
-if you can bait rotom into overheating on a mon that resists it, rotom wont be able to do damage to properly check things it would usually

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I suggest this spread for your Rotom-H: 252 HP / 24 Def / 104 SpA / 128 Spe, Modest

This spread still has the same Speed benchmark, but lets you check opposing threats much more effectively because of the increased bulk compared to your spread. The spread lives a Mega Diancie Diamon Storm from full health if ever; it doesn't really need a lot and it's kinda worth it so you just don't absolutely lose to it (and you can do respective 50%-ish damage back if it comes to it). By extension, you also live Mega Kang Return and Adamant Landorus-T Stone Edge. The leftover EVs are dumped to Special Attack to have some offensive presence with your STABs; the damage is still respectable anyway so it kinda works.

208 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Rotom-H: 254-302 (83.5 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Rotom-H: 247-292 (81.2 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Rotom-H: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Would like to see what QC think, though I approached SpaceBass and he said like it :>

i think life orb is worth mentioning in oo, rotom-h can be run more offensively compared to wash, with life orb it can pick up some ohkos with overheat on aegi and amoon.

i think life orb is worth mentioning in oo, rotom-h can be run more offensively compared to wash, with life orb it can pick up some ohkos with overheat on aegi and amoon.
Offensive Rotom-Heat is pretty underwhelming imo. It's only fire stab is overheat, which forces it to switch out, and its best coverage is either hp ice or hp ground, and depending on what you pick, you're either walled by heatran or dragon types.

edit: also life orb p much kills your bulk
edit #2: I'm gonna put it in other options, with 168 Spatk Modest and Life Orb you can guarantee the ohko on char y which is pretty handy

Last edited:
Offensive Rotom-Heat is pretty underwhelming imo. It's only fire stab is overheat, which forces it to switch out, and its best coverage is either hp ice or hp ground, and depending on what you pick, you're either walled by heatran or dragon types.

edit: also life orb p much kills your bulk
Uhh hp ground rotom isnt a thing and tran doesnt wall you, tbolt almost 2hkos. Rotom walls tran if anything. But i respect your opinion if you dont like lo, it was just a suggestion

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While I like the direction this EV spread has generally gone I'm not so sure about the SpA evs.

The main niche that Rotom-H still has in a metagame that is quite unfriendly to it (and this should be heavily noted throughout imo) is its strength against Skymin and helping to check both Char-Y and Venu in one slot (when using safety goggles). Unless your team is horrifically weak to both of these things, you really should not be using Rotom-H.

To me, this suggests that more bulk is probably better. I'm not sure what the SpA EVs are doing, to be honest. They don't help Rotom-H kill Aegislash faster, you hit Venusaur in sun, so that's irrelevant. Skymin is ohkoed with 0 investment (or is sash anyway). Heck, you don't even kill Keldeo.

Scarf is usable and can lure Lando-T, but is generally better done by Rotom-W. No one wants to scarf lock into overheat :(
Should def stay OO as a result.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
am check here

Overview
  • i wouldn't say that rotom-h gives off so much offensive presence (depending on what kind of spread you're running, but we'll get to that)
  • instead, maybe say that rotom's decent spatk prevents it from being dead weight most of the time and that its able to put in a fair amount of work for a defensive pokemon like itself
  • is able to dismantle most sun cores with ease, particularly chary + venu

Usage Tips
  • mention that you really shouldn't use overheat unless you need it to inflict powerful supereffective damage or a certain ko that thunderbolt cannot accomplish, as the spatk drop makes you a lot less of a threat.
Team Options
  • kyube helps vs rain
  • rotom forms a good fwg core with other bulky pkmn like ferrothorn/mega venusaur and azumarill/gyarados
Other Options
  • hp ice for lando(?)
  • i would remove the offensive set, i dont see much reason to use offensive rotom-h over something like chary or heatran
Checks & Counters
  • don't make kyub its own point and dont mention it twice, just stick it under typing advantage.

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi megacyber i'm qc now
i removed the bit about set details from my check right here ^ because i think yours is better than the one that i suggested.
just a few more things though:

Checks & Counters
  • when you mention exca and kyub being able to ko it with mold breaker, i would just put that notion in typing advantage. having that ability doesnt really justify it to be considered as something other than typing advantage imo since its still just a supereffective attack.
  • since the only notable substitute attacker relevant to your description is kyube, i would just remove the misc section, unless you find something else to replace it with.
once you implement these, tag me and i'll look it over one last time and hopefully give you 1/3!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########
- "Solid special attack, making sure it doesnt end up as dead weight" - This isn't so true. Rotom-H's main problem is that its Special Attack isn't high enough to utilize Overheat effectively. 105 SpA isn't going to be OHKOing anything even if Overheat is super effective, forcing you to either switch or use Overheat again and bring your SpA even lower. This is why Rotom-H is really lackluster at what it does compared to Rotom-W.

Bulky Support
########
- Thunderbolt should be first, then Overheat, because Thunderbolt is the move you should be using to attack like 90% of the time.

Moves
========
- Mention that Thunderbolt is reliable STAB and will be used most of the time.

Set Details
========
- With Levitate, warn people about Mold Breaker and Teravolt

Usage Tips
========
- Overheat should only be used when you are very very certain that you will get a kill, or if you dont think Rotom-H will be useful any longer and you wish to use it as fodder. Rotom-H becomes so weak after -2 that it will be forced to either status or switch out.

Team Options
========
- "rotom heat is best used on a team with other bulky mons, as it gets worn down way too fast if it's the only switchin to powerful threats like zard y and sylveon" - This statement is false. The point of Rotom-H is that it can beat Zard Y and Sylveon etc. If it couldnt then nobody would be here
- Add Fighting-types like Keldeo and Terrakion, which beat Rock-types and Kyurem-B while Rotom beats Talon.
- Besides Kyurem-B, other dragons like Hydreigon and Latios are great partners as well, as Rotom-H can beat Steels and Fairies for them, while they sponge Water-type attacks. Dragons in general also love WoW support.

Other Options
########
- No to Scarf set, you cant stay in so no point, keep as oo
- Electroweb for speed control, though twave is almost always better

Checks & Counters
########
- Under type advantage, mention that all you have to do is bait it into Overheating a bulky / resisting Pokemon and then avoid letting status affect your team (scout the status, send on pokes that dont fear it) too much and you're good

Let's get this done, megacyber!

T tar is super niche(bad), and the most popular set, mega dd, can outspeed and rockslide for a ton of damage. Also, after rock slide's flinch chance you only have about a sixty percent chance to hit a will o wisp. T tar has a little trouble switching in, but you shouldn't leave rotom h in on a t tar unless you think it's gonna go straight for the dd.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
megacyber I would love to give this an am check but you really have to finish writing it up

Let's all work together and get this done ^_^

I have a test on Tuesday and a lab report due Wednesday. Fuk skool, amirite? Long story short, this could take a while. Sorry dudes.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
megacyber i'mma give you have a week to write this up or i'll re-assign it so someone else can write it up (or i might just write it up myself idek)

pls hurry :[

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[19:38:18] megacyber: hey, you can reassign the rotom heat analysis if you want
[19:38:32] megacyber: i have a shit ton of school work rn
[19:38:39] megacyber: and i dont have too much time for mons
[19:38:57] shaian: okay :I

locked and moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)