Rotom-S (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
QC'd: tennisacers, ominoob, ME
GP'd: sirndpt, ShakeItUp

[Overview]

<p>Alongside the likes of Flareon, Limber Stunfisk, and Final Gambit Shedinja, Rotom-S is often described as one of Game Freak's attempts to troll competitive battlers. Thanks to its newfound Electric / Flying typing, Rotom-S is the only Pokemon in the game with a double immunity to Ground-type moves (and a triple immunity, if given an Air Balloon!). Rotom-S is generally considered the least useful Rotom forme because of its STAB move, Air Slash's, mediocre Base Power, its Stealth Rock weakness, and its unremarkable STAB coverage. Despite this, Rotom-S is an outstanding performer in NU with the capability to pull off a myriad of sets. Rotom-S also has an excellent base Speed for a Choice Scarf user, allowing it to outspeed common threats such as Shell Smash Gorebyss and Choice Scarf Sawk. Whether you're looking for a reliable revenge killer, a sturdy status platform, or if you're just in dire need of a double Earthquake immunity, look no further than Rotom-S.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-S has the quintessential stat build for a Choice item user, coupling a solid Special Attack stat with a usable Speed stat. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Rotom-S's niche base 86 Speed allows it to just barely outpace Choice Scarf Sawk and +2 Shell Smash Gorebyss, as well as other common Pokemon below that Speed, such as Swellow. Choice Specs, on the other hand, gives Rotom-S a much better chance to achieve key KOs. For example, Magmortar has a large chance of being OHKOed after Stealth Rock damage by Choice Specs Rotom-S, whereas Choice Scarf Rotom-S fails to do so.</p>

<p>Volt Switch allows Rotom-S to net momentum, scare out opposing Water- and Flying-types, and scout out the opponent's team. However, Thunderbolt nabs several OHKOs that Volt Switch misses out on, such as on an opposing Braviary with a little prior damage, and is Rotom-S's most powerful and reliable STAB move. Air Slash gives Rotom-S its Flying-type STAB, and lets it KO vital Pokemon such as Leafeon, Torterra, and Sawk. The last moveslot is simply a matter of preference. Trick is generally the more beneficial move, granting Rotom-S the opportunity to switch moves, as well as letting it incapacitate common switch-ins to Rotom-S, such as Lickilicky, Golem, and Camerupt. However, Hidden Power Grass allows Rotom-S to hit both Quagsire and Rock / Ground Pokemon, such as Golem, who resist both of Rotom-S's STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite the power boost offered by using a Modest nature, Timid should almost always be the primary option. This is because of Rotom-S's niche base 86 Speed stat; when using a Modest nature, Rotom-S is outsped by many common Pokemon in the NU metagame, including Magmortar, Sawk, Mesprit, Pinsir, and even Jolly Absol. A variety of Hidden Power types can be used in the fourth slot, customizing Rotom-S's coverage to best assist your team. For example, Hidden Power Ground can be used to nail Probopass on the switch-in, whereas Hidden Power Water can be used to lure Camerupt and still retain the OHKO on pesky Rock / Ground Pokemon.</p>

<p>Because Rotom-S is locked into a move and thus will be switching frequently, a Rapid Spin user makes for an excellent partner to remove Stealth Rock. Cryogonal and Armaldo are largely considered the best Rapid Spinners, although both share Rotom-S's Rock-type weakness. Wartortle is a notable teammate, as it can scare off Camerupt and Golem with Scald, and also spin away Stealth Rock. Ground-types in general plague Rotom-S, as they absorb two of its moves and often are neutral to or resist Air Slash. As a result, Pokemon such as Gorebyss and Samurott who can take advantage of incoming Ground-types make for superb allies. Gorebyss in particular benefits from Rotom-S's ability to Trick Lickilicky and lock it into one move.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Discharge
move 3: Pain Split
move 4: Air Slash
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-S has a solid defensive typing coupled with excellent natural bulk, making it a great defensive pivot and status platform. Will-O-Wisp is the cornerstone of this set, as it cuts the Attack of opposing Pokemon and allows Rotom-S to take physical hits much more easily. Discharge offers STAB as well as a strong chance of paralysis, which is helpful when dealing with Pokemon who aren't bothered by Will-O-Wisp, such as Magmortar. Pain Split, although not the most reliable form of recovery, takes advantage of Rotom-S's naturally low base 50 HP and is the best that Rotom-S can muster. Lastly, Air Slash provides secondary STAB and coverage on the ever-present Grass- and Fighting-types that occupy the tier. It also provides a useful flinch chance, giving Rotom-S the Jirachi-esque ability to paralyze opponents with Discharge and render them helpless by flinching them to death with Air Slash.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum HP and Defense investment gives Rotom-S optimal physical bulk, and the remaining four EVs are dropped into Special Defense. A specially defensive set with a Calm nature is worth consideration, but because Rotom-S's typing provides incredibly useful resistances to Fighting- and Ground-type moves, a physically defensive set is more fitting. Thunderbolt is an option over Discharge if you're strongly concerned about accidentally paralyzing a foe you'd rather have burned, but because this set has no Special Attack investment, it doesn't hit much harder than Discharge does. On the other hand, Thunder Wave can be used in lieu of Discharge if guaranteed paralysis is absolutely vital to your team.</p>

<p>Although it's not as necessary as it is for more offensively inclined sets, Rapid Spin support is appreciated to prevent Stealth Rock from shaving off 25% of Rotom-S's health on every switch-in. Cryogonal resists Ice-type moves and appreciates Rotom-S's ability to burn opposing physical attackers. Rotom-S is incredibly prone to status moves such as Toxic, so a teammate who can remove status, such as Lickilicky or Misdreavus, would be an excellent inclusion to your team. Lickilicky in particular has good synergy with Rotom-S, as it easily handles special attacks directed at Rotom-S, and Rotom-S can fend off the obnoxious Fighting-types that plague Lickilicky in return. Pokemon who resist Rock- or Ice-type moves make for good partners as well; Quagsire deals with all of the Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon that trouble Rotom-S, and Probopass takes Ice-type moves easily and can set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Pain Split / Charge Beam
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Substitute works well on Rotom-S thanks to its great defenses, solid typing, and ability to force switches. The idea of the set is very simple: come in on a Pokemon that Rotom-S scares out, such as Alomomola, and set up a Substitute. From there, Rotom-S can wreak havoc with Thunderbolt and Air Slash, which provide decent coverage together. However, it is the final moveslot that establishes the purpose of this set. Pain Split allows Rotom-S to wear down opposing special walls, such as Lickilicky, and should be used with Life Orb. Charge Beam, on the other hand, gives Rotom-S the ability to boost its Special Attack when behind a Substitute, and should be used alongside Leftovers, as Rotom-S will have no other form of recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread should be a familiar sight; maximum Special Attack investment gives Rotom-S some punch, and with full investment in Speed, Rotom-S can make the most of its niche base 86 Speed stat, outrunning common threats such as Sawk and Magmortar. Toxic can be used in the last moveslot to nail common switch-ins, such as Lickilicky, Golem, and Camerupt, but Rotom-S would almost always prefer to use one of the two listed moves because they are significantly more useful when coupled with Substitute.</p>

<p>Entry hazards work wonders with this set, so Pokemon who can set up Stealth Rock reliably, such as Mesprit or Probopass, are great partners. Garbodor and Cacturne are the best of the Spikes and Toxic Spikes users, and Rotom-S provides resistances for both Cacturne's Fighting-type weaknesses and Garbodor's Ground-type weakness. Rapid Spinners are especially important for this set, as Rotom-S loses health very quickly with Substitute and Stealth Rock digging into its HP. Wartortle is the best partner in that respect, as it threatens Golem and Camerupt out with Scald and spins away Stealth Rock. Teammates such as Life Orb Magmortar and Gorebyss who can take advantage of weakened special walls will be much more effective when paired with this set, as it can easily wear down Lickilicky and friends.</p>

[SET]
name: Paraflinch
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Discharge / Thunder Wave
move 3: Confuse Ray
move 4: Substitute / Pain Split
items: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Second only to Jirachi in annoyance rate, Rotom-S has access to one of the most frustrating movesets in the entire game. When the opponent is paralyzed, confused, and is being bombarded by Air Slash, they have just a 27% chance to actually attack Rotom-S. Air Slash is the primary offensive move of this set, as its impressive flinch rate allows Rotom-S to hammer through nearly any Pokemon untouched, once they are paralyzed and confused. Discharge is the Electric-type move of choice, as it presents a 30% chance of paralysis while also providing Rotom-S with an attacking move outside of Air Slash. Thunder Wave is an option, however, if you prefer to have guaranteed paralysis. Confuse Ray adds another status-inducing move to the mix, halving the chance of the opponent to hit Rotom-S. Substitute prevents status moves, such as Toxic, from wearing down Rotom-S, as well as allowing it to rack up Leftovers recovery much more easily. Pain Split, on the other hand, offers recovery, but Rotom-S becomes significantly more prone to status moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is fairly standard: use 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature to make the most of Rotom-S's brilliant base 86 Speed, and then pump the remaining 252 EVs into Special Attack to maximize Rotom-S's strength. A more defensive EV spread seems viable at first, but you must consider that a defensive spread means very little because the opponent won't be hitting it much, and Rotom-S will simply run out of PP faster because its attacks don't hit nearly as hard. Thunderbolt is an option instead of Discharge, but the high paralysis rate is more important than a slight increase in power.</p>

<p>This set spreads paralysis incredibly well, which is a boon to almost every type of team. Slow and powerful attackers, such as Marowak and Absol, appreciate paralysis to cut the Speed of faster Pokemon, making them excellent teammates. Both Marowak and Absol possess the brute physical power to break through the special walls that plague Rotom-S, such as Lickilicky and Camerupt. Rapid Spin support is a wonderful addition, preventing Stealth Rock from shaving off 25% off Rotom-S's HP on every switch-in. Armaldo is one of the best Rapid Spin users available and can also make use of the paralysis support that Rotom-S provides. It may seem obvious, but it is very important to not use Toxic Spikes when this set is on your team, as poisoning the switch-in prevents Rotom-S from paralyzing everything and severely cuts this set's effectiveness.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Rotom-S has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, as well as Volt Switch, making a dual screens set a viable consideration. If the unreliability of Pain Split is bothersome, Rest and Sleep Talk are available, but Rotom-S almost never has the room to give up an extra moveslot. Shadow Ball seems like an interesting coverage option, hitting the common Psychic- and Ghost-types in the tier, such as Mesprit, Misdreavus, and Haunter, for super effective damage, but the coverage it provides is usually inferior to Hidden Power. A Rain Dance support set with Thunder is also a curious option, making Rotom-S one of the more effective Rain Dance users.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Rotom-S's double immunity to Ground-type moves, Ground-type Pokemon generally make for the best checks and counters. Golem isn't bothered by any of Rotom-S's attacks sans Hidden Power Grass, can set up Stealth Rock to discourage Rotom-S from coming back in, and can break its Substitutes with Rock Blast. Likewise, specially defensive Camerupt sets up Stealth Rock in its face, and Roars it away as it struggles to do anything in return. Lickilicky can handle any move Rotom-S can throw at it and heal back up with Wish, as well as remove any status Rotom-S has spread with Heal Bell. Choice Scarf Jynx outspeeds Rotom-S and cleanly OHKOes it with Ice Beam. The simplest way to deal with Rotom-S is to maintain Stealth Rock, limiting the amount of times it can return to the battle.</p>

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
place holders in general arent a great idea
try to post something
even just a set

EDIT: just be careful
im not sure in NU but in the other tiers placeholders with no content are frowned upon
anyway
looking forward to some love for the under appreciated fan rotom

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool pokemon! Here's some ideas for sets you could add.
  • Choice
  • Rest-Talk
  • Sub-Charge
  • Dual Screens
  • Defensive (Discharge + Will o Wisp)

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
dual screens is just meh
all the others are viable
basically it does the standard rotom form sets
a para fusion flinch set is unique to fan rotom though

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nah, paraflinch is too gimmicky without Serene Grace IMO.

^Thanks for the set ideas erisiascape. There are so many possibilities it's hard to decide.

Another good set is the annoying set with T-Wave, Confuse Ray and Air Slash.

One of my favorite pokemon in the tier with with a different variety of sets(parahax, resttalker, choice, defensive, subpainsplit..)

I agree that there should be a paraflinch set. Rotom-S has great bulk, and can easily take a hit or two. Paraflinch is ridiculously annoying, and although it is walled by Ground-types and the like, it is very effective once the target is paralyzed.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
The Specs set probably wants max Speed Timid because there's so much stuff you want to outspeed (Sawk, Magmortar etc). Sort out the options on the Sub set - can someone who's tested it weigh in here?

Parafusion is definitely worth a set.

Would be good to see this finished ASAP.

breh

強いだね
paraflinch (fusion?) is indeed definitely worth a set; probably should even be the top set. and no, ground types do not wall it if they do not have a secondary typing that grants resists. Rotom fans consistently KO my Camerupt.

I'm not so sure it works, but Ring Target, since Rotom-S has a double immunity, might not strip its Ground immunity. In that case, a Trick-Ring Target set would be viable. (for stuff like Eelektross)

breh

強いだね
ring target is an awful item that should not be used, even for trick. even though there is a certain novelty in hitting rhydon with thunderbolts, it's not worth it.

balloon, on the other hand...

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
agree with breludicoll
defs mention balloon
also rotom fan appreciates magnet rise baton passed from smeargle

EDIT: the will o wisp set should have its own set and a more defensive spread
this skeleton needs alot of work
dual screens in oo
and stealth rock in checks and counters ( you probaby already know this)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to lock this for now until I figure out what I'm going to do with this skeleton, since it seems like the OP has no idea what sets to put on.

breh

強いだね
since zeb took this over a while back and this is a relevant mon, I'm going to bump this so it doesn't get forgotten. I hope nobody minds.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
since zeb took this over a while back and this is a relevant mon, I'm going to bump this so it doesn't get forgotten. I hope nobody minds.
yeah, i'm on it. just figuring out what sets should go on, rn. currently i have;

- choice (scarf/specs)
- subcharge
- physically defensive (wow, pain split, air slash, either discharge or tbolt)
- parafusion

debating on (aka likely oo mentions);
- subsplit
- dual screens
- resttalk
- mentioning confuse ray? might go ac on parafusion

i'd love to have your guys' input! rotom-s has a ton of possible sets and if there's anything i'm missing please let me know :(

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
yeah, i'm on it. just figuring out what sets should go on, rn. currently i have;

- choice (scarf/specs)
- subcharge
- physically defensive (wow, pain split, air slash, either discharge or tbolt)
- parafusion

debating on (aka likely oo mentions);
- subsplit
- dual screens
- resttalk
- mentioning confuse ray? might go ac on parafusion

i'd love to have your guys' input! rotom-s has a ton of possible sets and if there's anything i'm missing please let me know :(
Why would Confuse Ray not be on a paraFUSION set? Probably just a typo but I do think a ParaFusionFlinch set could be very effective

jake

underdog of the year
lol typoed that pretty hard

k looks like those first four sets + subsplit and the rest in oo for now. will get to work when i actually have some sleep

SubSplit can probably be merged with SubCharge, to be honest.
I agree, or even an OO mention. Personally I don't think that the Rotom formes can pull off Subcharge sets as efficiently as last gen, since the three immunities provided by the Ghost/Electric typing went a long way into helping a SubCharge sweep.

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
Scarf:
Volt switch
Thunderbolt
Air slash
Trick/HP Fighting/HP Ice

252 spa, 252 spe, 4 filler, timid nature
For outrunning +2 byss

How would that do?

jake

underdog of the year
Scarf:
Volt switch
Thunderbolt
Air slash
Trick/HP Fighting/HP Ice

252 spa, 252 spe, 4 filler, timid nature
For outrunning +2 byss

How would that do?
Yes, that's the standard set more or less. Also I updated the OP with what I have so far. Not sure on EVs for paraflinch set.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Thunder Wave is probably better off in the Defensive set's AC, rather than slashed.

The SubCharge set should probably look like this:
name: Substitute
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Pain Split / Charge Beam
items: Leftovers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)