Round 86 & 87 Tutee Tournament [Won by the poke sweeper]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just as a reminder, we will be now rewarding the winner of the Tutee Tournament with a custom user-title, along with intense media coverage. There is also a possibility for the finals to be hosted on a Smogcast, though that is subject to timing schedules.

Welcome to the signup thread of the tutoring tournaments for Battling 101! Here, all tutees who signed up for rounds 86 and 87, who was tutored by someone are eligible to sign up to play. Due to time constraints, only the first 16 people who indicate interest in the Apprentice Program signup thread will be allowed to participate. If we get more, however, I will consider increasing the number of participants. Also, please note that this is a XY OU tournament. Simply post your profile as you did when you signed up to get tutored (we will be checking everyone's post to make sure that they were in fact tutored during rounds 86 and 87). For reference:

Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
What tier do you want to learn?:
Tell us a little about yourself:

Please familiarize yourself with the rules below that are specific to Tutoring Tournaments. They can be found on-site here, but I will list them below for your convenience.

1. Battles will be 6 on 6 (XY OU) played on the Showdown simulator.
  2. Tournament rounds will last a maximum of 1 week. No extensions will be granted. It is up to the discretion of the tournament administrator to determine who will advance in the event of an incomplete match.
  3. Pokemon that are considered "Uber" are banned from use on all teams. Smogon's tier list is supreme. Smogon's ban list can be found here.
The following clauses must be enabled for all Tutoring Tournament matches.
  • Timed Battle: Select this clause when challenging for all Smogon Tour matches. This is necessary in the interest of finishing the tournament in a speedy manner.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffings on his or her team.
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use moves that have a chance of instantly KO opposing Pokémon. For example, Horn Drill is an illegal move to have on a Pokémon's move set.
  • Wifi Clause: Team Preview must be enabled for all XY games.

Substitutes
Round 1

The Bravest Bird vs horyzhnz
Srn9130 vs Rob.
Blitzamirin vs Quickbobhero
Rohail vs Bostonl1
Inevitability vs SoulSapphire
LzrGunPewPew vs Bean
Awesomeceus vs Seismitoad
Justintown11 vs the poke sweeper

Deadline: 9/2/14 Midnight EST

Last edited:
Username: The Bravest Bird
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: The Bravest Birds
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-8, after the 27th or 28th I'll be available almost all the time during the day.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY RU, XY OU if XY RU is unavailable
Tell us a little about yourself: I've started playing competitive pokemon this gen, and I've had experience in pretty much every tier. The tier that I am by FAR the worst at is XY RU, and I'd love to learn more about it. In the event that RU is unavailable, I consider myself a pretty decent XY OU player, but I'd like to learn more on teambuilding and maybe making better risk/reward decisions.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: horyzhnz
Pokemon Showdown Username: horyzhnz, various alts
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+10, just not in the middle of the day on weekends
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU / UU
Tell us a little about yourself: Primarily play XY OU, but recently been getting interested in lower tiers, especially XY NU because my NUPL team is pretty damn awesome, ngl. idk what else I really need to put here; I just hope I can put what funkasaurus taught me to good use

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Username: Srn9130
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Srn (random numbers may follow, but "Srn" is main)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (GMT -4) Evenings mostly
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU and HGSS OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I like Mons, it's the main thing I do in my free time. I play OU, and I consider myself pretty good and I know the tier very well, but the meta gets a tad stale and I want a helping hand to get myself into a new tier. I've heard Ubers is ridiculously stale and that I should stay away from it at all costs, and every other tier is still too new to really learn, so I settled on UU.
However, I do like OU a lot, and I was here to experience bw2 OU, and that was total shit. But then I heard that HGSS was one of the most balanced metagames ever and it literally sounded like a dream. So I want to learn that too!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yerp

(just c/p'd from the round 86 signups btw i'm lazy)

Username: Rob.
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Rob
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-5 / Really depends on what I'm doing .. I would say 11am - 3 most days including weekends
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: Just a normal, pretty cool college kid, I'm also a business major that plans to study at Baruch next year
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 87 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Username: Blitzamirin
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Blitzamirin
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5. All the time.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY NU
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a senior who recently moved to the US and don't really have much going on in his life. Been playing Pokemon since 2011 but I've never been serious about it, though better now to start than never. I moderate the PS server so I'd like a fallback because it's been getting very stale lately. Specifically, I'm interested in focusing primarily on teambuilding, risk vs reward, etc.

Username: Quickbobhero
Pokemon Showdown Username: Quick
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5, 4 PM - 10 PM Monday-Friday.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a battle who's really wanting to get into more tournaments and enjoy this game and gaining experience while doing so.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Rohail
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Rohail / Flarebot
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Weekdays from around 10:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m GMT -5. Weekends are all over the place, but I can usually do mornings.
What tier do you want to learn?: ADV OU / DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: On Smogon, I'm a GP checker and a C&C mentor, and on PO I'm an OU QC member. I mostly play XY tiers and I'm fairly good at them, but I want to learn the older gens. I find ADV to be the most interesting old gen, with DPP close behind. I have already started to teambuild and play with some PO friends for both tiers, so I'm not completely new to them. I think that a tutoring session or two is all I need to master at least one of the older gens :)
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?: Yep
Are you interested in playing for the Round 85 Tutee Tournament?: Sure, but I'm usually too late to signup :/

Username: Bostonl1
Pokemon Showdown: bostonl1
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST - my work schedule changes weekly, but I will have plenty of time every day for availiability.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, XY UU?
Tell us a little about yourself: Not much has changed since last time. I have been in love with Pokemon games ever since I got my cousins used Silver version for my birthday, even though I asked for Ruby. Regardless, I got much enjoyment out of it and got hooked. I never got into competitive battling until I discovered Smogon a few months ago. With access to PS, my eyes were opened to a whole new side of Pokemon. I struggled a bit, but I began to pick up on a few ideas and eventually became pretty decent. But I always strive to better myself; not settle for average or mediocrity. Thus I find myself here, hoping to improve my ability in the XY OU landscape. I've also taken an interest in UU, but I'm much more invested in the OU tier.

Username: Inevitability
Pokemon Showdown Username: well done
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -7 (5pm-11pm)
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: My name is Inevitability and I want to learn to get good at competitive Pokemon.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 87 Tutee Tournament?: Yes
Why Should I Be Tutored: Although I have a bad habit of lurking and not posting, I have a strong desire to get the most out of my potential as a competitive battler. This way, I can get more engaged in the community by doing things such as voting in suspect tests and playing in tournaments.

Last edited:
Username: SoulSapphire

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: SoulSapphire on Pokemon Showdown. (I don't use Pokemon Online or Shoddy Battle)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +8 7-9pm
What tier do you want to learn?:XY RU
Tell us a little about yourself:I've been playing competitive Pokemon and lurking on Smogon for about 1.5 years, so I know a lot about competitive Pokemon battling, but I don't do so well in actual battles (max GXE was 65%, never got above 1350 ELO). Hence, I came here. My short-term goal is to be able to vote in the next suspect test, while my longer-term goal is to get in the top 100 on the RU ladder.
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?:Sure.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:Definitely, I mean I'll probably lose in the first round, but it'll be a good experience.

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS:
I've been lurking on Smogon for more than a year now and know a lot about competitive Pokemon, so I know how all this works. It's not as if I'm a complete newbie. Aside from that, as I said I have a lot of knowledge about Pokemon Battling, but can never get it right in practise, so I'd like someone to tutor and instruct me on how I can become a better battler overall. Thanks.

Username: LzrGunPewPew
Pokemon Showdown Username: LzrGunPewPew
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -4 2 PM-1AM
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: Started playing on PS! last November, lately have been settling in to the general Smogon community.

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Bean
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +0 Pretty much all day but specifically evenings.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ubers/OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing pokemon "competitively" on PS for about a year now and while I'm a reasonably competent battler I would love to learn how to play at a high(er) level. I'm also a driver mod on PS. I would have replied earlier to this but I'm currently in Ireland with absolutely no internet. I'll be back to full activity on thursday.
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Absolutely

Username: Awesomeceus
Pokemon Showdown Username: Awesomeceus
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +8 afternoon / nights, though my free time is a little sporadical
Tell us a little about yourself: Playing competitive pokemon for over 2 months now, although I'm far from a pro I'm ready to learn and battle always, and I love pokemon with 70% of the fibers of my being.

Username: Seismitoad
Pokemon Online Username: Seismit0ad
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: gmt-6, 5-9pm
What tier do you want to learn?: xy nu
Tell us a little about yourself: I wanna git gud in tournaments

Username: Justintown11
Pokemon Showdown Username: Justintown11
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: est-5, 4-8pm
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ou, XY Lc
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been having a lot of fun with my tutor this round, ready to get into some tournaments.

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Username: the poke sweeper

Pokemon Online Username: the poke sweeper

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC-08:00 week day from 3:00pm to 11pm and weekends 1pm to 2 am

What tier do you want to learn?: I was learning Ubers, afterward i would like to learn vgc

Tell us a little about yourself: the team i was hoping to use for this tournament got banned and that makes me sad XD

Username: AGuyWithPants
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: VeryNiceName
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +5:30, All days from 3 PM to 3 AM My time.
What tier do you want to learn?: X&Y OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I have been playing this game for about 4 years on and on and off basis but have only played competitively for a few months in the XY OU Meta. I want to learn more about teambuilding and how to play the game in general. Pokemon has been pretty close to me since I started it and has become my favorite hobby. I do think I possess enough knowledge about pokemon in general but I would like to translate this knowledge into becoming a good competitive player and I hope that a Tutor can help me in this :).
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 87 Tutee Tournament?: Yes.

Username: ketsu
Pokemon Showdown Username: ketsu88
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 3-6 central time usually
What tier do you want to learn?:
XY ou
Tell us a little about yourself:trained with subject 18 and ready to try my luck.

Username: SOMALIA
Pokemon Online Username: SOMALIA
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1

Username: SOMALIA
Pokemon Online Username: SOMALIA
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1
dude you've been playing pokemon for 13 years why do you need a tutor?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For those of who you cannot read English, please note that this is a TUTEE TOURNAMENT SIGNUP THREAD, for rounds 86 and 87. Please don't try signing up for a tutor here, next round opens somewhere around Sept. 19-22, please refer to the Battling 101 Schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)