RSE Baton Pass

Logs were requested, so here are logs of matches I played against BP last night with 3 opponents of reputable skill, each using slight variations in BP team.

http://pastebin.com/6k6LC3Bb - Me vs. Earthworm

http://pastebin.com/vR1paAg6 - Me vs. M Dragon

http://pastebin.com/hBrYuY1C - Me vs spies

It can be argued that the team I'm using is unusually prepared for a BP team, but I did not build this team with BP in mind, but rather the flow of the standard metagame. Draw whatever conclusions you want from these; this will be the last I participate in this discussion. I made a rather elementary mistake in prediction in my match vs spies, which allowed him to set up.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you for admitting your strawman, that is the first step. The next step is to stop strawmaning.
And you are still unable to grasp the concept of using multiple posts to construct an argument.
Yes only a(n) (un)lucky matchup against a BP team will cause a win (loss). That's how Rock Paper Scissors works. And I mean the game, not the model.
Yes only a(n) (un)lucky matchup against a stall team will cause a win (loss). Let's ban teams with more than 2 pokemon with more than 100 in any base defensive stat.
So if a Gen 4 UU team has to go out of their way to include Quagsire / Ludicolo / etc. on their team just to deal with Kyogre, it's not a bad thing?
Again with this using an extreme example to try and disprove every case. For someone complaining so much about non-existent strawmen, you sure don't know much about non-sequiturs. Gen 3 teams had to go out of their way to deal with Steel-types, even using things like Fire Blast Snorlax. You shouldn't be forced to use Fire Blast on your DDMence. We should ban Steel-types because it would clearly make the metagame more diverse. Where do you draw the line with threats in the metagame?
So the fact that top tier players (synre (on irc), jabba, ipl, etc) are complaining about this very thing means nothing right?
Never said that. The pool of advance players is down to a minimal number. Obviously that smaller group of people is going to be more ban-happy because they play against the same tiny pool of teams all the time, which is why I am skeptical of this thread. You seem to be confused at what I'm saying. I'm not saying that BP isn't broken (even though I don't think it is), I'm saying that your line of reasoning in this thread is absurd and no amount of condescending and hilariously ironic posts you can make will change that. A handful of people on IRC in the last couple of weeks trying to find ways to perfect a dead metagame doesn't convince me that we suddenly need to make changes.
"we've been playing this gen for 6 years" we have all experienced it already. That's like claiming there's no evidence to ban anything on the ladder, even if it's somewhat subjective it is quite valid.
It's not like that at all. You can't even provide me with a single Baton Pass team to use and try this out for myself to see if they're broken or not. You can't even show me a single log of someone using a BP and beating a good team without thinking. You can't even show me a log of someone using a good team and having no chance against a BP team. You're stalling this thread. Logs may be subjective but they at least show how games are being played, what combination of moves need to be overcome to win, etc. It's better than this useless argument that's just making an ass out of both of us (although everyone already thinks I'm an asshole so w/e). At least if you provide logs, we will have something concrete to discuss instead of this inane back-and-forth.
if we are going to "allow" changes to old gens. What are the thoughts on that?
I'm obviously against that unless something new and unseen before comes up. For example, a Baton Pass team that was actually unbeatable being used by everyone on the ladder and the tour would convince me that BP is broken. TBH, I hope everyone spams BP teams in the ADV tour just so everyone confirms my personal judgment that the community at large bans things based on annoyance rather than brokenness.

Before I read these: If you want to prove anything, use this team against non-BP teams to actually prove that your team isn't specifically tailored to beat BP and BP only.

VS M Dragon

You actually had lost at the point in which you let him agility, but you, as you conveniently needed to, got lucky and paralyzed him. The flinch was pretty bad too but the miss sort of made that irrelevant (where as the Thunder miss was on Vaporeon not on Zapdos). If anything, this proves that you still need luck even if you use a particularly anti-BP team (even if it was unintentional).

vs Spies

He misplayed early and still beat you.

vs Earthworm

Idk why he was doing it in that order but in any event he had it 93.75% won, but of course you crit him.

After reading them, I question your intention here with the logs you posted. It seems to me as if you are proving BP actually broken.

But I'd rather get the "do we want to change old gens" policy question out of the way.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Before I read these: If you want to prove anything, use this team against non-BP teams to actually prove that your team isn't specifically tailored to beat BP and BP only.

VS M Dragon

You actually had lost at the point in which you let him agility, but you, as you conveniently needed to, got lucky and paralyzed him. The flinch was pretty bad too but the miss sort of made that irrelevant (where as the Thunder miss was on Vaporeon not on Zapdos). If anything, this proves that you still need luck even if you use a particularly anti-BP team (even if it was unintentional).

vs Spies

He misplayed early and still beat you.

vs Earthworm

Idk why he was doing it in that order but in any event he had it 93.75% won, but of course you crit him.

After reading them, I question your intention here with the logs you posted. It seems to me as if you are proving BP actually broken.

But I'd rather get the "do we want to change old gens" policy question out of the way.
not to mention he hit 3 attacks with sleep talk, didn't miss thunder in the two times he used it and then crit +1 mime. -_- also i know in your post you said your team wasn't meant to counter bp but it REALLY matches up well with it. i mean 2 rest talkers for spore, ttar for sand, skarm to phaze... do you honestly think every team is going to have a matchup this good against BP?

edit: just to make it clear I don't think baton pass should be "restricted" or whatever... yet. i like mekkah's idea in that if it becomes a dominant force in the tour where players are consistently winning with it, THEN, we should look back and decide where to go from there. i only made that reply as the logs piro posted weren't exactly the best choice to prove his case.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Logs aren't the only form of evidence. They aren't even the best, especially considering that when people post logs they are almost always flawed in one way or another, and in many cases people will create a flaw if there isn't one.

VS M Dragon

You actually had lost at the point in which you let him agility, but you, as you conveniently needed to, got lucky and paralyzed him. The flinch was pretty bad too but the miss sort of made that irrelevant (where as the Thunder miss was on Vaporeon not on Zapdos). If anything, this proves that you still need luck even if you use a particularly anti-BP team (even if it was unintentional). Uhhh...M Dragon got lucky with that Thunder missing, allowing the pass to even start....and somehow Pirotechnix is the lucky one for paralyzing?

vs Spies

He misplayed early and still beat you. technix misplayed too and still had a chance

vs Earthworm

Idk why he was doing it in that order but in any event he had it 93.75% won, but of course you crit him.he must not have been thinking, because you dont have to think to win with BP, right?

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

And his team was...Zapdos/Skarmory/Tyranitar/Regice/Gengar/something else. Sounds standard to me and he didn't have many issues. Rest Talk, Sandstorm and phazing aren't all that uncommon, even on the same team. One of the most famous ADV teams of all time used all three and people didn't have moral objections using it.
Atticus said:
do you honestly think every team is going to have a matchup this good against BP?
Not every team, and I don't think anybody is saying that...

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
So if a Gen 4 UU team has to go out of their way to include Quagsire / Ludicolo / etc. on their team just to deal with Kyogre, it's not a bad thing? Too few things actually reliably beat BP teams, similar to Kyogre in UU (obviously not as bad, but same situation).
I don't pretend to know anything above 3rd gen, but if I'm looking at the correct tiers for Smogon's 4th gen, Kyogre is uber. I don't see how that factored into a UU team dealing with it (it shouldn't be in the first place, unless that's fun or something).

But let's assume they're in the same metagame and Kyogre is dominating UU for the fact. Alright, so you're forced to use Quagsire/Ludicolo/etc to handle Kyogre. It's not a bad thing because we've seen this happen before. You DO realize that Tyranitar ALONE forces Swampert or Dugtrio to be on a heavy percent of ADV teams, don't you?

Dominant Pokemon in a metagame are going to demand respective counters for them on every team if they're ripping apart teams otherwise. With that in mind, the metagame and its top dogs are viable to change. Certain Pokemon and strategies can potentially rise and become dangerous to every team. When they do, whose to say we shouldn't learn just how much they effect the metagame and whether we can get around it or not? There needs to be significant and consistent results before we make decisions like this, otherwise we're setting a precedence for when that new Endeavor Sceptile + Starmie combo (please don't cause an issue over such an obvious exaggeration) starts wrecking teams and no one initially can think of a counter for it without compromising their team building preferences.

I'll reiterate what's been said - No need to jump the gun. Wait for BP chains to show significant results in significant competitive settings (i.e. Smogon Tour) first. Take note that in this case, you'd have to show that everyone with a lower skill-base is using it, that they're decisively beating a number of better players with it, and that they're progressing pretty far in the tour with them.

jrrrrrr said:
Uhhh...M Dragon got lucky with that Thunder missing, allowing the pass to even start....and somehow Pirotechnix is the lucky one for paralyzing?
Thunder has 30% to miss. The chance to hit and paralyze is 21%. And the hit on Vaporeon, actually, have been a fine trade considering that the Speed boost is the most important boost. This is why I'm less concerned about the flinch on Umbreon - not only was it on the same Pokemon even though Rock Slide has a 10% and to hit and flinch it's actually 27%.
jrrrrr said:
technix misplayed too and still had a chance
No he didn't. lol. Did you not read: one bad move and he auto-lost. It happens to good players.
jrrrrrrr said:

he must not have been thinking, because you dont have to think to win with BP, right?
He must have not been following the BP algorithm (which, for the most part, has to do with keeping substitutes up and setting up vs Pokemon who can't KO you).

But did you miss that Thunder crit on +1 mime that normally doesn't even come close to 2HKOing? You know, I'll catch you strawmanning every time, lol. He didn't follow the algorithm, but still had it 93.75% won, what does that tell you? ((really)good player playing poorly is similar to bad player playing, and you're telling me you want people who play poorly or are bad to have 93.75% chance to win in any given scenario?).

As I said before, if anything these logs convince me to drop the RPS uncompetitive argument in favor of "BP is just broken".

umby said:
I don't pretend to know anything above 3rd gen, but if I'm looking at the correct tiers for Smogon's 4th gen, Kyogre is uber. I don't see how that factored into a UU team dealing with it (it shouldn't be in the first place, unless that's fun or something).
The point is that a threat, no matter how powerful it is, is almost always counterable in one way or another, but the fact of the matter is: these ways are not always viable against other teams. Using Ludicolo or Quagsire doesn't always work. Not only do you have 5 other Pokemon to deal with, but you now have a billion other teams to deal with that make your Pokemon essentially dead weight.

However, I would agree to "waiting" if that's the consensus as long as we act quickly.

not to mention he hit 3 attacks with sleep talk, didn't miss thunder in the two times he used it and then crit +1 mime. -_- also i know in your post you said your team wasn't meant to counter bp but it REALLY matches up well with it. i mean 2 rest talkers for spore, ttar for sand, skarm to phaze... do you honestly think every team is going to have a matchup this good against BP?

edit: just to make it clear I don't think baton pass should be "restricted" or whatever... yet. i like mekkah's idea in that if it becomes a dominant force in the tour where players are consistently winning with it, THEN, we should look back and decide where to go from there. i only made that reply as the logs piro posted weren't exactly the best choice to prove his case.
(ok i lied)

I apologize for not making my intentions in posting those logs clear. I've read the arguments here from both sides, considered both objectively once I realized I was letting too much of my "christ we've played adv for 6 years why is this a problem now" emotion bleed into my words, and looked at the flaws in my own arguments.

Logs were requested so as to provide a non-theorymon, semi-neutral analysis, and I provided them. They do indeed show that even with a "good" team, I had to get some luck and smart thinking my way in order to break the chains...but the same smart thinking can be claimed for my opponents using BP to maintain their chains as well. Hardly any "mindless" activity going on here as has been argued. I maintain my original opinion and the opinion of many others in this thread that we should see how it plays out in tour before we consider ban. I do change the rationale I had for maintaining that opinion, however.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
But did you miss that Thunder crit on +1 mime that normally doesn't even come close to 2HKOing? You know, I'll catch you strawmanning every time, lol.
Uh....there's luck in every pokemon match and if you're honestly CMing up hoping that they don't hax, then you're the one who has the odds against you. I've lost more than enough times to hax to know that sitting there and boosting has another name - it's called getting greedy and it often backfires. There's no strawman there, other than you saying it's a strawman. You are reading more into my posts than what's actually there.

The point is that a threat, no matter how powerful it is, is almost always counterable in one way or another, but the fact of the matter is: these ways are not always viable against other teams.
I'm pretty sure Pirotechnix just showed a bog standard team that had a good matchup against BP teams, with a legitimate chance of winning even without the bit of luck. The first two BP teams didn't even have a chance against CBTar or Regice, both of which are viable against other teams.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the only thing about waiting to see if it dominates the tour is that the tour is only 9 weeks, meaning there are only 3 weeks of adv. sacrificing 1/3 of the adv tour "just to see" seems a bit over the top when we have an entire month to use alternative means to deal with the problem before it affects one of smogon's official tournaments

So I've been thinking about this issue a lot, being the head of the Tour now and whatnot, and someone brought up a decent option, IMO. Since it seems the biggest issue people have against banning BP right now is the fact that it's not proven to be an issue or not yet, so we shouldn't ban it prematurely. Well, the Tour isn't for another month + change, so why not open the ADV ladder to suspect testing for the next month? This would count towards a Tiering Contributor badge like any other suspect test and help us get a decision about BP as a legitimate strategy or not for the Tour. Are there any major objections to this? If not, I will try to get this started by Sunday.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok, I am going to give a bit of analysis of these logs.

Battle Log:
Battle Mode: Ruby/Sapphire
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Self-KO Clause
Rule: Apply PP Ups
Rule: Battle Timeout
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Evasion Clause
Earthworm vs Pirotechnix. Begin!
Earthworm sent out Ninjask (Lv.100 Ninjask)!
Pirotechnix sent out Tyranitar (Lv.100 Tyranitar)!
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Begin Turn #1
Ninjask used Substitute!
Ninjask made a Substitute!
---------------------------------
Tyranitar used Rock Slide!
The Substitute took damage for Ninjask!
Ninjask's Substitute faded!
It's super effective!
Pirotechnix: i'll play same way
The sandstorm rages.
Ninjask is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Ninjask's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
Ninjask's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #1
Earthworm's Ninjask: 75% HP
Pirotechnix's Tyranitar: 342 HP

Begin Turn #2
Ninjask used Substitute!
Ninjask made a Substitute!
The Substitute took damage for Ninjask!
Ninjask's Substitute faded!
It's super effective!
The sandstorm rages.
Ninjask's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
End of turn #2
Earthworm's Ninjask: 51% HP
81% chance of a rockslide miss before this point. This would have given him more chances of setting up an iron defence

Begin Turn #3
Ninjask used Baton Pass!
erre the great has started watching.
Earthworm sent out Scizor (Lv.100 Scizor)!
(51% damage)
The sandstorm rages.
Scizor's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #3
Earthworm's Scizor: 55% HP

We have established here that Earthworms team loses to CBtar. You can play it safe from here and be almost certain of a win (basically relying on rockslide not missing too much).

Begin Turn #4
Scizor used Iron Defense!
Scizor's Defense sharply rose!
(28% damage)
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #4
Earthworm's Scizor: 33% HP
M Dragon (ADV) has started watching.
Warriors [Marcos] has started watching.
This turn should have been a switch to Skarmory. Scizor had to iron defense that turn, even if it had passed to smeargle, it would have just forced a switch to Zapdos, then back to Tyranitar, and essentially from there you win. If he ingrains you Rockslide whatever comes in, and 2hko it. Or, if he baton passes, he will send out Scizor which means you can go back to Skarm. He could keep passing between Smeargle and Scizor for leftovers, but even that gets him back to the position he was in anyway. Piro got into a bad position from bad play here. From what I gather, bp isnt used much so he could just be out of practice.

Begin Turn #5
Scizor used Iron Defense!
Scizor's Defense sharply rose!
(19% damage)
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #5
Earthworm's Scizor: 20% HP
3 Rockslides, any of these could have CHed for a win.

Begin Turn #6
Pirotechnix withdrew Tyranitar!
Pirotechnix sent out Zapdos (Lv.100 Zapdos)!
Scizor used Baton Pass!
Earthworm sent out Smeargle (Lv.100 Smeargle)!
The sandstorm rages.
Smeargle is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Zapdos is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Smeargle's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
Zapdos's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #6
Earthworm's Smeargle: 100% HP
Pirotechnix's Zapdos: 352 HP

Begin Turn #7
Smeargle used Spore!
Zapdos fell asleep!
Zapdos is fast asleep.
Zapdos used Sleep Talk!
Zapdos used Hidden Power!
(32% damage)
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #7
Earthworm's Smeargle: 68% HP
Pirotechnix's Zapdos: 352 HP (Slp)
could have hit thunder for a win

Begin Turn #8
Smeargle used Substitute!
Smeargle made a Substitute!
Zapdos is fast asleep.
Zapdos used Sleep Talk!
Zapdos used Thunder!
The Substitute took damage for Smeargle!
Smeargle's Substitute faded!
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #8
Earthworm's Smeargle: 43% HP

Begin Turn #9
Zapdos is fast asleep.
Zapdos used Sleep Talk!
Zapdos used Hidden Power!
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #9
Earthworm's Smeargle: 18% HP
Lucky here, but should have just switched

Begin Turn #10
Smeargle used Baton Pass!
Earthworm sent out Mr. Mime (Lv.100 Mr. Mime)!
Zapdos woke up!
Zapdos used Sleep Talk!
But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.
Mr. Mime is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Mr. Mime's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #10
Earthworm's Mr. Mime: 100% HP

Begin Turn #11
Mr. Mime used Calm Mind!
Mr. Mime's Special Attack rose!
Mr. Mime's Special Defense rose!
Zapdos used Thunder!
(100% damage)
A critical hit!
Mr. Mime fainted!
Pirotechnix: <_<
erre the great: lol
M Dragon (ADV): u are doing it wrong EW
Earthworm sent out Ninjask (Lv.100 Ninjask)!
Pirotechnix: that's the inherent problem with bp too
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #11
Earthworm's Ninjask: 51% HP
EW could have subbed here I guess, I dunno if it would have been worth it. Thunder also could have paralysed this turn. Which wouldnt have been a guaranteed win for Piro but would have made life hard for EW.

In conclusion: had Piro played this better, Earthworm would basically have had to rely on Rockslide misses in order to set up. With perfect prediction he could have sorted out a situation where his chances were as good as they ultimately turned out to be, which resulted in him losing anyway. Basically Piro needs to keep his Skarm away from Smeargle, as Skarm is the one pokemon Smeargle can set up against best. Sleeptalking for the WW on the turn he Spores you is a 33% chance, and he could have just as easily Ingrained.
Battle Log:
Battle Mode: Ruby/Sapphire
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Self-KO Clause
Rule: Apply PP Ups
Rule: Battle Timeout
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Disallow Spectators
Rule: Evasion Clause
M Dragon (ADV) vs Pirotechnix. Begin!
M Dragon (ADV) sent out Zapdos (Lv.100 Zapdos)!
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
The option of leading with Zapdos does make BP teams considerably more dangerous. But because you need to spend a turn using agility, it means more leads are going to prevent you passing speed. There is so much that can fuck you over turn one here. It also almost certainly means Celebi instead of MrMime. Since you need to be able to survive without a speed boost.

Begin Turn #1
M Dragon (ADV) withdrew Zapdos!
M Dragon (ADV) sent out Umbreon (Lv.100 Umbreon)!
Tyranitar's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
Umbreon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Umbreon's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #1
M Dragon (ADV)'s Umbreon: 100% HP

Begin Turn #2
(39% damage)
Umbreon flinched!
The sandstorm rages.
Umbreon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Umbreon's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #2
M Dragon (ADV)'s Umbreon: 61% HP
Flinch and a miss. IE the flinch did not win the game for Piro as MD suggested

Begin Turn #3
(41% damage)
Umbreon used Baton Pass!
M Dragon (ADV) sent out Vaporeon (Lv.100 Vaporeon)!
The sandstorm rages.
Vaporeon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Vaporeon's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #3
M Dragon (ADV)'s Vaporeon: 100% HP

Begin Turn #4
Pirotechnix withdrew Tyranitar!
Pirotechnix sent out Zapdos (Lv.100 Zapdos)!
Vaporeon used Acid Armor!
Vaporeon's Defense sharply rose!
The sandstorm rages.
Vaporeon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Vaporeon's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #4
M Dragon (ADV)'s Vaporeon: 100% HP

Begin Turn #5
Zapdos used Thunder!
Zapdos's attack missed!
Vaporeon used Baton Pass!
M Dragon (ADV) sent out Zapdos (Lv.100 Zapdos)!
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #5
M Dragon (ADV)'s Zapdos: 100% HP
Second miss
Begin Turn #6
Zapdos used Thunder!
(55% damage)
Zapdos is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Zapdos used Agility!
Zapdos's Speed sharply rose!
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #6
M Dragon (ADV)'s Zapdos: 45% HP (Par)
paralysis on the second attempt. Something like a 40% chance. 5 chances to have CHed already
Begin Turn #7
Zapdos used Thunder!
(45% damage)
Zapdos fainted!
M Dragon (ADV) sent out Celebi (Lv.100 Celebi)!
The sandstorm rages.
Celebi is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Celebi's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #7
M Dragon (ADV)'s Celebi: 100% HP

Begin Turn #8
Pirotechnix withdrew Zapdos!
Pirotechnix sent out Skarmory (Lv.100 Skarmory)!
Celebi used Calm Mind!
Celebi's Special Attack rose!
Celebi's Special Defense rose!
The sandstorm rages.
Celebi's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #8
Pirotechnix's Skarmory: 334 HP

Begin Turn #9
Celebi used Psychic!
(77 damage)
It's not very effective...
Skarmory used Whirlwind!
Celebi was blown away!
Smeargle (Lv.100 Smeargle) was dragged out!
The sandstorm rages.
Skarmory's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #9
M Dragon (ADV)'s Smeargle: 100% HP
Pirotechnix's Skarmory: 277 HP

Begin Turn #10
Skarmory used Sleep Talk!
But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #10
M Dragon (ADV)'s Smeargle: 75% HP
Pirotechnix's Skarmory: 297 HP
this whole leaving Skarm in against Smeargle approach is bad. Stop doing this Piro. Switch to Zapdos.

Begin Turn #11
Smeargle used Spore!
Skarmory fell asleep!
Skarmory is fast asleep.
The sandstorm rages.
End of turn #11
M Dragon (ADV)'s Smeargle: 75% HP
Pirotechnix's Skarmory: 317 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #12
Pirotechnix withdrew Skarmory!
Pirotechnix sent out Gengar (Lv.100 Gengar)!
Smeargle used Ingrain!
Smeargle planted its roots!
The sandstorm rages.
Gengar is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Gengar's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
Smeargle absorbed nutrients with its roots!
End of turn #12
M Dragon (ADV)'s Smeargle: 81% HP
Pirotechnix's Gengar: 271 HP

Begin Turn #13
Gengar used Ice Punch!
Smeargle used Baton Pass!
M Dragon (ADV) sent out Celebi (Lv.100 Celebi)!
The sandstorm rages.
Gengar is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Gengar's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
Celebi absorbed nutrients with its roots!
End of turn #13
Pirotechnix's Gengar: 271 HP

Begin Turn #14
Pirotechnix withdrew Gengar!
Celebi used Calm Mind!
Celebi's Special Attack rose!
Celebi's Special Defense rose!
The sandstorm rages.
Celebi absorbed nutrients with its roots!
End of turn #14
You coulda ice punched then exploded too. The rest is boring. There are 3 more chances to CH

Basically Piro won this rather comfortably. Had he not Para'd when he did, he probably would have lost, but only because he missed with thunder against Vaporeon. Like, next turn he thunders again, probably hitting Celebi, Celebi CMs and he sends TTar, Celebi can CM again, but if it tries to pass to Vaporeon, he takes 20% from HP (plus the 66% or so from thunder - though I feel like this Vaporeon had low def. Probably because of the difficulty of passing a lot of speed from Zapdos) and has to BP before getting another AA. If he passes to Zapdos, he is risking taking a Rock Slide, But even then a switch to Regice fucks him over pretty badly (he would have one calm mind at this point).

The spies problem is the same problem he had in every battle. Skarm is pretty much the one pokemon on that team that Smeargle will want to set up against. Dont let that happen.

My main advice for beating BP:
  • Try to prevent Smeargle or Umbreon receiving speed. If you have a psuedo hazer get it out against whatever is passing speed if possible.
  • Dont lead with things that will have to switch out against Zapdos or Ninjask.
  • Put quick claw on your lead if possible
  • MrMime is pretty likely to trickband, so have something with choice band.
Unless your team is quite defensive and based around something like toxic, even against a very good player with BP, you are probably more likely than not to win. So you really only need to worry about BP from shitty players, in which case it really does take little more than a token effort to stop.

Have a nice day.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I played a couple of matches on the Pokemon Online server with a hastily thrown togetehr Baton Pass team, and I have to say, Baton Pass is phenomenal. Its very easy to pick up, and Perish Song is no good when you lock in another Pokemon with Umbreon, and proceed to set up on it and laugh to your heart's content.

On the other hand, I have to say I've also noticed the...frailty of such teams. They have to keep every member healthy, and before they collect their defense boosts, its very hard to keep passing around against a mixed sweeper, which can just proceed to make life difficult by throwing out random moves here and there, meaning that a single incorrect prediction results in instant loss (cue random mixtar proceeding to make life hell using sandstream).

BP teams are really really luck reliant, but not in the way Inconsistent is. Unlike Inconsistent, which is forced to wait for its luck, BP teams must make their luck by accurately trapping the right Pokemon, or must proceed to have their chain run into severe issues. When all goes well, they are a nightmare to face, but when even a single tile doesn't fall in the right place, they seem to nearly fold.

In conclusion, I don't see the harm in letting it on the first ADV week of the tour, but we should place a cautious eye on it, and run a Suspect Test after a minimum of 1 ADV week in the Tour has started.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
and the people who don't bother to waste their time laddering against the mediocre players on po? they don't get to make a decision on this?
the people that don't play adv don't get to make a decision on adv? sounds fine to me!

if you have no interest in the metagame other than what happens in a series of single elimination tournaments i would say that the decision would better rest in the hands of players that enjoy adv more than 2 months out of the year

i'll be playing the ladder with and without baton pass. probably not enough to test / vote but it sounds like fun and i'd like to play with / against it.

@dw: if you don't have substitute out you're doing something pretty wrong with your bp team - it should take TWO mispredictions to lose, not one

In conclusion, I don't see the harm in letting it on the first ADV week of the tour, but we should place a cautious eye on it, and run a Suspect Test after a minimum of 1 ADV week in the Tour has started.
There's something to be said for having consistent rules. Ideally (perhaps not forrealz) we would freeze tournament rule sets when they start, as people good at one metagame might not be good at another. In a perfect world it'd be best if we sorted this out before the Tour.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Chris is Me: My bad, I did get a Substitute up. My point is, before you can go to Vaporeon or Mr.Mime, the chain really struggles against smart players, who bring in their mixed sweepers on umbreon, which kind of forces you to break the chain, and in general can frustrate you. BP chains are entirely beatable, but the point is to know when exactly to Mean Look, which I doubt "noobs looking for easy wins" in the Tour will easily get. It takes some experience to use BP teams, and they are by no means an "easy win" tool. Yes, they are relatively simple to pick up, but at higher levels, noobs are going to be brought down unless they manage to grasp the fundamentals of the strategy, in which case they aren't noobs.

I played a bit of Baton Pass on the mostly dead Advance ladders, and it took me a bit to get used to again. There's many threats out there that hit for 2HKOs or near-2HKOs on all Pokémon, making it nearly impossible to set up without passing Speed, which is hard because Ninjask is so non-threatening to phazers. Recovering health is also very hard, with Vaporeon/Umbreon having trouble fitting in Wish (a move I forgot in my earlier breakdown), let alone Protect. It's also vulnerable to Sleep Talk on random things surprising the already frail Smeargle.

The amount of threats that can hurt a "frail" Baton Pass team is pretty enormous - I'm referring to variants without Mawile, Scizor, or Celebi. Celebi fixes the worrying issues with Jolteon, Zapdos, and Raikou, who in combination with a Whirlwinder can keep the pressure on the team pretty easily, but then you have no Trick or Encore. Scizor/Mawile help a lot versus Normal-types which there's no resistance for otherwise. I suppose they would go over Vaporeon or Ninjask depending on which of the two, and which moves they get.

From what I can conclude of the few battles I got, the Baton Pass team:

- is very sensitive to either side making a mistake.

This places the focus on a fewer amount of moves rather than taking into account long term thinking. But by itself, this should be no grounds for even a suspect test. And I don't think this is necessarily in favor of the Baton Pass team, by the way. While a mistake one way can happen causing the Baton Pass "lock" to succeed (generally, getting either Ingrain or Mean Look Baton Passed is enough to win), the other side of the coin is that one of the Baton Passers dies.

- is vulnerable to many viable threats. Just dropping some names here: Zapdos, Raikou, Jolteon, Gengar, Tyranitar, and Skarmory are the most popular of them. The former few are capable of 2HKOing/OHKOing most of the chain and/or use Substitute to block the disruptions of the few Pokémon that aren't KO'd like Mr. Mime and Umbreon. Again, Celebi can solve this, but then you can add Suicune, Swampert, and other Roar Pokémon to this list. Skarmory's Whirlwind bypasses Soundproof - by himself, he can't win the game for you since Smeargle is going to get Ingrain in sooner or later. But it prevents Speed Boosts from being passed around, and that makes the team much more vulnerable to hard hitters.

- is a one-trick pony, that has trouble preparing itself against things people can choose to run to counter them. Aside from the popular Pokémon named above, teams in Advance should be able to dedicate some space to a Pokémon that causes trouble for Baton Pass teams. Choice Band Tauros, for instance, can be a good addition to a team with Skarmory since it runs through Baton Pass teams without a Steel, but it's not worthless outside of Baton Pass teams either. Fighting Pokémon with Focus Punch and something for Ninjask and/or Celebi can not only open up Baton Pass games, but can also crack dents into stall teams. Belly Drum Charizard abuses the lack of attacks on Baton Pass teams like none other if you can stop them from getting a speed boost passed to something that does KO it, like a recipient Zapdos. While Baton Pass *can* carry some offensive power to get around this (like Surf Vaporeon, or Thunderbolt Mr. Mime), this will often leave them open to other threats. You'll notice this isn't unlike any other dilemma, e.g. Hidden Power Grass or Ice on Raikou.

I'll conclude with what I pretty much said earlier: Baton Pass is not an auto-win, not by a bad player at the very least. Sure, I can see someone like imperfectluck take a tournament by storm with this, but I think we can agree that is not a problem.

Limiting Baton Pass in any way is preposterous.

We can continue bashing heads or we can do this test that will not only be fun (of course, in my opinion) but it will actually give more people an idea of what Baton Pass is like. Clearly people tend to dismiss logs of players playing against each other and showing that even an anti-BP team will get crushed by BP without some serious misplays (read: failure to follow the algorithm of "hop around to the counter of the Pokemon switched in") or hax.

There is no proof either way about bad players beating good players, so claiming either is just getting kind of old.

There is no harm in having the test and going from there. Some of us don't want to waste 1/3 advance weeks just because people are too lazy to test something so that more than 12-15 people have an actual valid opinion because they are really the only ones who have played Gen 3 OU...ever.

Please, if you don't have Gen 3 experience can you stay out of this.....

Mekkah said:
Limiting Baton Pass in any way is preposterous.
I agree with this.

Ignoring for the moment the 'Baton Pass is not broken' sentiment, let's assume for this discussion that it is. If, for instance, some newly released Pokemon came along to make stall in DPP or BW virtually impossible to beat and incredibly easy to play, we wouldn't be suggesting ways to ban or limit stall. Similarly, if a very powerful Pokemon came into the picture that enabled offense to easily beat any other play style, we wouldn't be considering banning or limiting offense. No, rather, we would be discussing that the key Pokemon that make stall or offense broken in those situations should get banned. Handling RSE Baton Pass should be no different. If Ingrain being Baton Passed makes a Baton Pass team broken in RSE, then clearly Smeargle is the problem. If <insert role here> is broken then <insert Pokemon here with that role> is the problem. We shouldn't be tailoring the playstyles of the game to fit our fancy just because we think one of them is for assholes or some such.

I've talked to most of the posters here about this IRC and most of my thoughts have found their way to the forums through them I think, but fwiw I basically stand as follows: I agree BP probably isn't powerful enough to ban simply on its power alone, but that it creates problems beyond power. It's not as relatively powerful as RBY Tauros or GSC Snorlax, even, to compare with other "oldgens", as faulty as it is to compare team styles with individual Pokemon. What I do think is true, is that unlike the case with those two Pokemon, removing BP makes Advance as a game somewhat more objectively fun. I know fun is a relatively nonobjective measure, but while you can argue about how powerful BP is or isn't, I think it is much more difficult to argue that games including BP teams don't fail promote the sort of metagame characteristics we tend to want(things like good prediction being rewarded and games not ending before they start in some matchups and games that involve as little RNG(luck as a counter) as possible). Even the people defending BP based on power have mentioned it is boring, and I think it's boring in a way that's very different from Stall, which creates long, slow games but still requires the user to make a lot of predictions and gives the opposition chances to break the team open. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable supporting a ban based on this line of thought -- it's certainly not something we'd have done back during Gen 3, and sort of plays into that whole ban-happy culture I like to mock -- but I would certainly agree with the posters who think a BP-less Advance would be a more fun game, which is sometimes a good thing to consider with a game we play as a hobby, I think.

A lot of what deterred BP before, which I guess people nowdays can't seem to imagine(jrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...), really was the culture thing -- obviously it didn't stop everyone, but I think it was a pretty significant deterrent to using BP because we had a smaller, tighter community back then and people cared about being respected. When BP was used, the user were often people who were sleazeballs anyway or who were in matches against what otherwise would have been a superior opponent and whipped their BP team out in order to try to eek out a win they didn't really have to earn... I guess trying to explain the psyche of players is useless, but needless to say from the posts in this thread peer pressure isn't going to deter any of the new guys, which is a problem for the tour, if not for SPL, where a smaller community of players is competing.

Incidentally(@Mekkah) CB Tauros is pretty weak against most BP teams... I actually lead it on the joke team I was using to get my feet wet in Adv again and it tends to get set up on more than anything. At least making them pass Intimidate is kind of convenient sometimes...? Vaporeon still sets up at least one acid armor if passed from Ninjask rather than Zapdos lead for the speed and barring a CH Tauros just doesn't hit hard enough to stop set-up much of the time in my experience, though if I were using it + WW Skarmory as you suggested I would probably be fine with that team. This is just the problem I have with that argument, though -- I feel like for the most part the pro-BP side is kind of assuming every non-BP team includes said WW Skarmory, which I would say is an unreasonably specific counter no matter how good Skarmory is. Given that the only other three Pokemon that can even passably exist in OU with Whirlwind are Hariyama, Crobat(lol), and Aerodactyl(who best functions with a Choice Band), I'd say "Whirlwind" tends to actually mean "Drill Peck-less Skarmory," which is awfully limiting, especially considering the more common psuedohazing move is blocked by Mr. Mime. Incidentally I had to laugh a little at the idea of "BP teams not using a steel." I think it's worth assuming that by BP teams we mean "reasonably well constructed BP teams" rather than "5 random Pokemon with BP."

However the main reason I'm replying is because I can't get over how stupid both of CIM's posts in this thread are(as well as a couple others by different poters) and since the admins have told me they aren't going to do anything about it I figured I'd just comment on it instead.

chrisisme said:
you guys sound like the idiots who bitch about people using "standards" - "they're too easy to win with!"

+

the people that don't play adv don't get to make a decision on adv? sounds fine to me!

if you have no interest in the metagame other than what happens in a series of single elimination tournaments i would say that the decision would better rest in the hands of players that enjoy adv more than 2 months out of the year

OK I think you're already plenty aware I think you're the worst poster who has ever graced this forum and Inside Scoop but let me take a moment to try explain some of why these posts are absurd at best, and why some of the other posters in this thread who have made similar posts should probably think about re-evaluating their logic.

First of all in response to the second part of what I quoted, the idea of suspect testing Advance to begin requires a pretty big leap of faith as we would need a rather large amount of people who aren't current playing Advance to participate in a suspect test for something that I suspect not that many people actually care about. As you would know if you actually used it(and I'm pretty confident you've played fewer games of competitive Advance than I've played of Hello Kitty Online), the ladder is pretty much completely dead most of the time. Queues are often 10 minutes or longer. It would be completely impossible to have a valid suspect test under those conditions, and I'm not sure the 60~ people this might make care are enough to make it active or varied. Like g80 said and you for whatever reason thought you were qualified to disregard, most good players don't even play on the ladder right now, which doesn't mean they don't play at all, but does contribute to the fact the ladder tends to have really poor competition. Many of the active Advance players who are still around are hiding teams for SPL and pretty much exclusively play friends and teammates so things are in a bad part of the cycle right now, and even when they're not I can't imagine mopping up people like the guy using Fly Aerodactyl Mekkah hit earlier is very appealing to them.

Secondly, and most importantly, people really need to try to better judge their own experience with Advance because the ladder is not going to give you a representative view of competitive advance. Like I mentioned a moment ago, most of the best players either A) don't play on the ladder much at all or B) a quit years ago. The ladder also offers zero incentive - we give nothing for being on top of the ladder. No suspect votes, no leaderboard on site, no nothing. There are very few high level Advance tournaments right now(basically just SPL I guess), so outside of casual matches the competition people face is not representative of the highest level of play, which is presumably what we want to set policy on. Even then, the type of shit people pull to fool around or to test teams and what they use in a tournament, especially when official trophies are on the line, are very different. Even SPL is a different game, since the people playing there are playing it instead of another metagame because they love Advance rather than simply to win at all costs, it's a much different demographic with VIL and Jabba and G80 or whatever compared to the people we'll get in tours or the people who play on the ladder right now.

Point being, there are an awful lot of people posting right now who fulfill many or all of the following:
1. Weren't around for significant portions of Gen 3, if any at all, and thus have no firsthand experience of it being "OU"
2. Have never played in an old gen match in SPL, or in SPL at all, or in some cases haven't even watched the SPL Adv matches
3. Have never played in an Advance tournament on Smogon, or have never had any real success if they did
4. Have Advance experience limited to playing with their friends or the co medically lackluster ladder

I think most of the people posting in this thread have not really seen competitive Gen3 OU anymore than say, the people many of the same posters are whining comment too much on BW have seen of Gen 5 OU. Put your own experience into perspective here, guys. Some of the newer guys have pretty good posts here, but for those of you who are going on next to no experience or are trying to present limited experience as more than it is, if you think what you are don't isn't completely obvious or that your posts are needed in this topic you are fooling yourselves(I'm calling you out for your shitty post too, Erazor, after you were shocked and awed to find out Salamence was OU in Gen 3 like 20 minutes before you posted here). Everyone doesn't need to weigh in on every topic. It just adds unnecessary noise.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In no part of any post did I claim that I could decide anything in this discussion. My first post challenged the assertion that there is some magic strategy that makes "bad" players "good" that "good" players shouldn't use for whatever reason. My second post said that we shouldn't decide to change anything based on something other than actual playtesting.

My argument wasn't necessarily that this should be decided on the ladder - my argument was that if change were to be considered, it should be on the ladder. The option of "don't test because the ladder is dead and it was a dumb proposal" is still an option (see #2 below), but not "ban it without any way of being able to test it in real time".

If we feel testing is not an option because the game is too inactive, two things become clear:

1. If the game is too inactive, "no one cares" one way or the other and it is a moot point.

2. If the game is too inactive, we should default to precedent.

However, the inactivity assertion obviously isn't true because of the Tour. If there is an incentive to play a metagame, consequently the ladder will get more active. A 256 player tour will more or less automatically get 200 people on the ladder, which is more than Little Cup ever had doing a similar test. So what I actually think will happen is that more people will play ADV ladder in order to compete for the Tour, allowing a fair test to happen. Yes, some will ride their Tour runs on 5 year old experience and teams, never playing the ladder, but those people will IMO be less than half of the tournament's participants.

In conclusion - yes we could have "the decision" be up to random people if the ladder was too inactive. But if that's the case, no one cares and thus there's no compelling reason to go against precedent. However, since this is obviously a hot enough issue to cause a 3 page PR thread, there's no way the ladder can realistically remain dead, especially with a 256 player weekly tournament being built around it.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heysup: I think your post analyzing the logs falls short. You can't just look at turns you consider critical and analyze just the odds of one thing happening that turn. Consider the case of Magneton with HP Fire vs. Registeel with Rest (a match that I remember having quite well in a Gen 3 battle):

This particular Registeel had enough HP and Special Defense such that Magneton had a 4HKO, which meant that the battle went something like this:

Magneton used Thunderbolt! (35% damage)
Registeel is fast asleep!
Registeel has 71.25% health remaining.

Registeel is fast asleep!
Registeel has 42.5% health remaining.

Registeel woke up! Registeel used Rest!
Registeel has 100% health remaining.

What this means is that unless Magneton gets a CH, it will eventually run out of PP and lose to Registeel. However, a single CH at any point leads to Magneton winning. That is 48 chances for a critical hit, assuming Magneton starts out at full PP. If you look at a single turn in the battle and see a CH, that's obviously bullshit hax! The odds of a CH on a single turn is 6.25%. The odds of a CH on any of those turns is 95.49% So when you consider the battle as a whole, then it's actually luckier not to get the CH.

Moreover, your suggestion that BP players pretty much only lose if they get unlucky or if they fail to follow the BP formula is false. The BP "formula" is really a general set of strategies, similar to the "stall formula" being get down entry hazards and switch around to resistances. If all you are doing against the opponent is BPing to a counter to their Pokemon, you will get slowly worn down and do absolutely nothing. There are many times when, against a good player, you have to play without a Substitute, because they keep attacking you and breaking it, or because they are threatening a switch to something like Skarmory and you don't want to just waste your HP like that. Baton Pass teams take thinking, at least if the BP player is good and their opponent is good. I've gotten some wins that were 5-0 or 4-0 with my BP team, because I had to sacrifice something (or lost it to a CH) before I could get speed + Ingrain + relevant defensive boosts. It's not as simply formulaic as you suggest.

Pirotechnix: When I read those logs, all I thought was that your team is made to match up pretty well against BP teams, but you play poorly against Smeargle, as Hipmonlee pointed out. What I think the logs show much better is that even if both players aren't playing the best possible, BP doesn't win (the suggestion in this thread has been that BP players don't need to think at all).

Hipmonlee said:
Basically Piro needs to keep his Skarm away from Smeargle, as Skarm is the one pokemon Smeargle can set up against best
obi said:
Pirotechnix: When I read those logs, all I thought was that your team is made to match up pretty well against BP teams, but you play poorly against Smeargle, as Hipmonlee pointed out.
Ironically, I'd been saying to someone previously to these matches that hitting Smeargle rather than trying to outpredict it was the smart play, then I pull bonehead moves like that. Yeah, out of practice indeed I guess, considering before this whole controversy I'd played less than 10 full BP teams in 3 years.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
We can continue bashing heads or we can do this test that will not only be fun (of course, in my opinion) but it will actually give more people an idea of what Baton Pass is like.
Nothing's stopping people from playing ADV to see what BP is like. We shouldn't use a suspect test just to bring people to the metagame. That would be morally questionable even if our suspect tests haven't shown a bias towards banning.

On another note, if it takes proposing a rushed suspect test and banning to drum up enough interest in a metagame, then maybe it shouldn't be part of the Smogon tour in the first place. I personally like ADV, but maybe it's time to call it dead.

Clearly people tend to dismiss logs of players playing against each other and showing that even an anti-BP team will get crushed by BP without some serious misplays (read: failure to follow the algorithm of "hop around to the counter of the Pokemon switched in") or hax.
You're the only one dismissing logs...I see a handful of posts doing a good and fair job of analyzing those logs. And I'm still waiting for your logs of that invincible BP team btw
There is no proof either way about bad players beating good players, so claiming either is just getting kind of old.
You were the one claiming that...
There is no harm in having the test and going from there. Some of us don't want to waste 1/3 advance weeks just because people are too lazy to test something so that more than 12-15 people have an actual valid opinion because they are really the only ones who have played Gen 3 OU...ever.
There is a harm: the player base of ADV is incredibly small, so the only people who would participate in a dead suspect test are the ones who desperately want a ban, and they'd only be playing against people who feel the same way. G80's point is concise but it's valid. After years of not even considering tweaking the metagame, and after an entire generation of Pokemon has passed, we're going to wait until 3 weeks before the tour starts to rush in an unprecedented suspect test to serve the whim of a small handful of PR members? I really don't think that's a good plan.

If your statement about 12-15 people playing gen3 OU ever is true, I think we have bigger issues on our hands regarding the tour.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
After years of not even considering tweaking the metagame, and after an entire generation of Pokemon has passed, we're going to wait until 3 weeks before the tour starts to rush in an unprecedented suspect test to serve the whim of a small handful of PR members? I really don't think that's a good plan
It's better than wasting precious time during Smogon Tour. There will only be 3 weeks of ADV so any decision made should be thoroughly evaluated and decided on before it begins. Waiting until Smogon Tour just to see how it plays out is far worse.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
It's better than wasting precious time during Smogon Tour. There will only be 3 weeks of ADV so any decision made should be thoroughly evaluated and decided on before it begins. Waiting until Smogon Tour just to see how it plays out is far worse.
I think rushing headfirst into a suspect test that nobody except the handful of people who really want a ban would even play is a worse idea. My opposition comes mostly because someone suggested doing a suspect test to increase ADV ladder participation, something that would lead to a sham of a test at best. People have had literally years to bring this up, and now suddenly it's a big deal and we have to rush into this? I don't buy it. Especially when we'd be testing not just one random pokemon but an entire style of play. Especially when we only think this *might* be a problem. You mention the key words "thoroughly evaluated", something that I don't think a suspect test is capable of doing at this point (at least, not before the tour starts)

I just think it's a terrible precedent to set, going back to alter the rulesets of gens that have been played for years without issue because a handful of players think that there MIGHT be a problem in the future. It's also worth noting that we've already had plenty of Tours, Official Tournaments, SPLs and such without this ban gaining any traction. I find it hard to believe that we as a community know more about the metagame now than we did when 100% of Smogon users were playing it on a daily basis, and I find it even harder to believe that something new has developed since DP came out that shook up the metagame so much that it needs to be banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)