RU Analyses Discussion Thread

phantom

Banned deucer.
Approved by Molk and SilentVerse

Hi, this thread is meant to primarily discuss one of two things: possible additions/updates to completed analysis and is the place to go to if you want to make a case for a Pokemon that doesn't have an analysis but believe it should receive one.

The first entails the following:

-Whether an analysis needs to be completely rehauled to fit the current metagame

-Whether a set needs to be added/updated

-Other small miscellaneous changes such as giving X move a slash on X Pokemon's set

The second should be self-explanatory, but if you believe that X Pokemon deserves an analysis, make sure nothing completely outclasses it and that it has a good enough niche. For instance, while Magmortar isn't necessarily bad, there's not much of a reason to use it over Delphox which has all of: greater Speed, coverage, and ability to boosts its special stats with Calm Mind.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Spirit on Delphox, I've been meaning to add a bunch of things into OO, mainly the Sunny Day set people have been talking about lately. SubSalac can be added in too. Not sure about SubCM though, it doesn't threaten stall as much as LO CM because it lacks Grass Knot meaning Rhyperior can just phaze away and Slowking always wins, but I guess it would be less of a wallbreaker/stallbreakerr and more of a sweeper against balance teams.. not sure about an entire set though. Right now it has an OO mention.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, I was going through the onsite analysis and I think a couple of things need to change.
Togetic:

-Current analysis is based more around the defensive than it is NastyPass, which isn't right

-Furthermore, Defensive set could use a different EV Spread seeing as how it's centered around avoiding 2HKO from Yanmega

-An update for this analysis wouldn't hurt imo

Cobalion:

-Magnet Rise needs a slash on the main set

-Last slot should be: SR / Magnet Rise / SE in that order imo

Delphox:

-SubCM could use a set. It lets Delphox do better against Alomomola since it can't hit it w/Toxic and Mola can't break its Sub at +1.

-Furthermore, Sub + Blaze + Salac berry is a pretty sick combo that prevents Fox from being rked too easily and gives it a meaty power boost on top of that

Eelektross:

-Current set needs to change, Acid Spray is just very... meh and Volt Switch should be mandatory imo

-New set needs to look like this: Volt Switch / Flamethrower / Giga Drain / Knock Off | Thunderbolt

Gligar:

-Swords Dance pass needs a set

-Something like, SD / BP / EQ / SUB | Roost

Golbat:

-Needs an SpD set, it checks different shit than the physical set, so it deserves its placement as opposed to rewriting the current one

Meloetta:

-Specs needs an update

-Set should be: Hyper Voice / Psyshock / Shadow Ball / U-turn | Focus Blast

-Trick is just kinda lame on Specs Meloetta since it's a wallbreaker and can 2HKO just about everything with the right move anyway, so no point in trying to cripple walls in that sense

-Dugtrio needs to be emphasized as a partner, particularly if you're using Meloetta w/U-turn

-Without Dugtrio as a Partner, Focus Blast is needed in the last slot to actually touch Registeel and Rhyperior

Shiftry:

-Could use a SD set.

-SD / Knock Off / Sucker Punch / Seed Bomb | Bullet Seed is pretty cool and is no longer outclassed by Zoroark

Hitmontop:

-Foresight needs to be mandatory; otherwise, Hitmontop will be hard-pressed to spin before it gets worn down

-Last slot should just be Toxic with Counter in moves to take out the likes of Durant and Escavalier in a pinch; SE + SP are just very weak and should be bumped down all the way to other options
For the record i agree with everything mentioned by Spirit here, especially Swords Dance Shiftry, the only reason it was rejected before was because it was p. much outclassed by Zoroark. Without Zoroark i'm pretty sure its viable

I would like to make the case that Audino should receive an analysis. It has a very specific combination of extremely powerful traits that makes it a very unique and multifaceted pokemon that has a specific but very important niche on stall/semistall teams. These traits are:

1. Wish Passing
2. Heal Bell
3. Knock Off
4. Regenerator

The point here is that while none of the characteristics above are very unique in the metagame, audino is the only pokemon that possesses all four at the same time. Sure, aromatisse and lickilicky can wish pass and heal bell just as well as audino, but their lack of regenerator severely cuts down on their survivability, ability to pivot switch, and the amount of pokemon they can switch in on. On the flipside, alomomola can wish pass with regenerator better than audino, but it lacks the clerical abilities that audino possesses, meaning that oftentimes on stall two pokes must perform the same job that audino can perform by itself. So while audino is not necessarily a powerful threat, or even the best at any specific one of the traits listed above, it is the only poke that can perform all of them on one set, and therefore has a niche in the metagame deserving of analysis.

-CFB

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple of things to add on to the list Spirit already provided (which I agree to all of for the record)

Cobalion:

Sacred Sword should be removed from the Support set imo. It doesn't hit that hard, the only defense boosters are crushing you anyway, and the given EV spread centers around Close Combat anyway.
Staying on the Support set, I almost feel Iron Head doesn't deserve a slash with Taunt. Taunt is just so damn good on Cobalion rn considering all the Omastar HO teams flying around the tier atm. I have really never felt the need to use Iron Head in all my time of using this set.

Meloetta:

Feel like it's worth looking into an AV set for Melo now that Yanmega is gone.
Not really sure why Psyshock is used on Scarf Meloetta. Gallade isn't that common and Psychic is still crushing Hitmonlee. Psychic lets Meloetta more easily RK Cobalion, which isn't the easiest thing to take out due to its good defensive typing. Psyshock is nice for Virizion I guess, but you're still smacking it for 72.8% minimum with Psychic.

Hitmonlee:

Feel like Double-Edge needs a mention somewhere in the Reckless set considering it smacks common switch-ins, such as Amoonguss and Gligar, (after you remove Eviolite) for some p. heavy damage.

I have made some Scms edits to Alomomola who mentioned Registeel as a Scald target (while it uses Stoss lol) and I edited in the main Knock Off target (SubCm Meloetta, I honestly see no reason to use it other than that) that should probably be in moves only and removed Gothorita and Sub Drapion mentions :/
I feel like an even more specially defensive spread like 4/252+/252 or 4/252/252+ with the latter having a decent chance to avoid the 2hko from lo moltres lol and having more ease against delphox and the former not to lose too much bulk should be mentioned in set details.

On Delphox I like the SubCm set because fuck random sucker punchers, alomomola, and lefties recovery is cute to check stuff like Support and Cm Cobalion, Zhdbutt virizion, and the rising sigyliph and salac donks checks like Durant and sneasel and whatnot

I support an update on Specs Meloetta like Spirit said too even tho I'd mention that psychic should probably be used without Focus Blast because fuck rhyperior

On said Rhyperior I'd like for the QC team to go over that analysis as the main set is weird (roar, megahorn, and protect not slashed and the inferior dragon tail there) and the writeup is kinda shitty.

PS: I'll write my shit up today and after that I'll be more than happy to help with golbat and Firefox :))

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure how necessary this is, but Sandslash has greater overall bulk with an EV spread of 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 SpD than it current spread has.

Claydol needs to be revamped; it was D Rank when the current analysis was finished, and now it's E Rank.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[17:36] <&MoIk> audino
[17:36] <&MoIk> analysis or no
[17:36] <~atomicllamas> uhh y
[17:36] <@EonX> y

CutForBiebarel you have the go here, other QC members/people in #rarelyused have said they're fine w/ Audino too, but i dont have the logs of that.

phantom

Banned deucer.
A couple of things:

Alomomola:

-Rocky Helmet and Knock Off need to go

-Rocky Helmet should be put in other options w/Knock Off in moves if ur running mola w/T-spikes support and only then should the move be used, but over Toxic, not Scald

-I don't like the current spread either, there needs to be a much bigger emphasize on special defense

-This analysis really needs an update

Cinccino:

-Possible Scarf set?

-Scarf (with a positive attacking nature imo) has the advantage of outspeeding and smashing just about all of the hazard leads (limiting them to no layers) and does fairly well against offense in general due to its speed and good power

Slurpuff:

-Currently the only set is Belly Drum, and that can't be the only viable set

-Calm Mind should be given a set considering Slurpuff has Flamethrower to roast the likes of Doublade

-Thoughts on Calm Mind + Cotton Guard? I used it a bit in early XY and it was kinda cool, I'm wondering if it deserves a set now

Whimsicott:

-The offensive set has been growing in popularity as of late and the current analysis primarily reflects the support set

-This could use an update due to the above and of course the inclusion of the offensive set with the bulky support one being second

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree on Whimsicott getting an offensive set. I don't necessarily think it needs a complete overhaul though.

Either way, could I write the offensive set? and if qc decides it needs an entire revamp then can I do that too? I've been using LO Whimsicott lately (tried different sets too; nature power, tailwind, encore, stun spore, etc. this thing has so many fucking options) and it's not bad at all. I also wrote the original whimsicott analysis.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree on Whimsicott getting an offensive set. I don't necessarily think it needs a complete overhaul though.

Either way, could I write the offensive set? and if qc decides it needs an entire revamp then can I do that too? I've been using LO Whimsicott lately (tried different sets too; nature power, tailwind, encore, stun spore, etc. this thing has so many fucking options) and it's not bad at all. I also wrote the original whimsicott analysis.
I for one don't have an issue with this.

Spirit, as for the EV spread on Mola, I looked up an old RMT of mine and found this spread: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SDef Bold. Still gives Mola large wishes while focusing a lot on special bulk. It's able to take Scarf Rotom-C Leaf Storm and actually stall out OTR Reuniclus that use Psyshock with this spread. Not sure if it should be the primary spread or not, but figured I'd throw it out there as a base since we're looking for a spread that focuses more on SpDef. I'll do calcs later to try and tweak / optimize it if need be.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree that Slurpuff should get a CM set, it may not be as immediately threatening as the Belly Drum set but it has a lot of surprise factor and can also beat Doublade and Rhyperior, among other physically bulky Pokemon. It may not always completely wreck a team like the Belly Drum set but it does open holes in the opposing team, so that's something.

And in that case, I would like to write up the CM set for Slurpuff. I have tried it before and I have had decent success with it, so I can write it up. (Note: offensive set)

Well uh, I can do an update for Alomomola if need be. I do think it was kind of a bad idea putting on Knock Off in the main set, especially slashed with Scald and not Toxic :[

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well uh, I can do an update for Alomomola if need be. I do think it was kind of a bad idea putting on Knock Off in the main set, especially slashed with Scald and not Toxic :[
As a QC member I agree Knock Off should be relegated to OO, its a terrible move on Alomomola in most situations, but maybe thats just me e_e

aVocado

@ Everstone
I feel like defensive qwilfish could use some more speed in its spread. 96 allows it to outspeed Timid Omastar and taunt it, currently it has 44 speed iirc. thoughts?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but I strongly agree with using that ev spread on qwilfish. Being able to prevent omastar from setting up hazards can be game changing.

phantom

Banned deucer.
So Pyroar should probably get an analysis. It's the best offensive Doublade check there is and isn't a half-bad Pokemon in its own right.

The only viable set is specs and should be this (most likely):

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
ability: Unnerve
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

It's a very simple analysis, so I don't expect too much trouble with it. Both Molk and I approve of it btw.

aVocado

@ Everstone
What does QC think about Stallbreaker Golbat getting a set? It's a set I've used a while back and it was successful. With the rise of SubCM users like Meloetta and Cresselia, as well as other things like SubBU Gallade and Braviary, Golbat has been pretty good at putting a stop to them with the combination of Toxic (in tandem with Infiltrator; goes through subs) and Super Fang, as well as Taunt to stop further set up.

It's a bit different to SpD Drapion in the fact that it can beat last mon win cons like the ones I mentioned above, while Drapion can't. Drapion also can't really threaten them as much as Stallbreaker Bat does.

Stallbreaker
########
name: Stallbreaker
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Roost
move 4: Brave Bird / Taunt
ability: Infiltrator
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
nature: Impish

A SpD spread can be used too.

EonX

Battle Soul
On the subject of Pyroar, it definitely needs an analysis with Specs as the main set. Stuff like Scarf and LO could probably go in OO. Arguably the best answer to Doublade and Pyroar holds it's own in general. Primary issue being its competition from Delphox and Moltres.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)