1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RU CCAT 2 [Stage 5]

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by -Tsunami-, Apr 8, 2012.

1. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

lars manetric would've been my second choice, but clearly the better one.
  2. alexwolf

alexwolf Fear the D
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

spuds4ever
  3. TerrickTerran

TerrickTerran

4. DittoCrow

DittoCrow
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

alexwolf's Flareon
  5. Sound

Sound

alexwolf's Flareon

A good FWG defensive core is too good to pass up at this stage of the team.
  6. Vratix

Vratix

spuds4ever

Accelgor is the choice.
    I take Manectric too seriously to consider it to be underrated.
    Flareon is too... or maybe it's just not enough of...

But seriously, move on the next step.
  7. lars

lars

Only the first pick (Meganium) is supposed to be underrated, now we are just supposed to support it as well as we can.

I consider (my opinion) a good scout to be borderline necessary on Balance teams and Accelgor is also pretty good at the role. Encore is such a troll when a lot of stuff has Sub or set up moves

spuds4ever
  8. shnen

shnen שוני
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

9. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

and with that, voting has ended.

Congratulations to lars for edging out alexwolf by 1 vote for the victory.
    That means that our next Pokemon will be

[​IMG]
    Manectric @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Switcheroo
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

You may now begin nominating another Pokemon.
  10. Buckles

Buckles

Can I just say OTR Cofag? Does everybody know what I mean? If not:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
    Quiet Nature
    252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    0 Speed IV
    -Shadow Ball
    -Nasty Plot
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)
    -Trick Room

The best spinblocker in the tier, bar none, and we need one desperately. Discourages people to even switch in their spinners, since so many of them are setup bait for this monster. Number one for a reason. Also takes random Bug and Poison moves aimed at Meganium. Forgive me for my lack of originality, but this thing is hard not to use.
  11. Vratix

Vratix

[​IMG]
    Golurk@Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Fist
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    -Shadow Punch
    -Hammer Arm
    -Earthquake
    -Toxic

I look at the three pokemon we have and I think: "Wow, that's almost each major role we need to fill on a balanced team wrapped up in 3 lil' ol' pokemon... except the blindingly obvious lack of a physical attacker." You know what a really useful physical attacker is? This guy. He nets a guaranteed 2hko on 252/0/0 cofag (even after losing Iron fist) and running dual STAB off base 124 attack hits most things pretty nicely. Stone Edge is a viable choice over Toxic but imo one of the more important statuses and good to have on something that is a functional wallbreaker.
  12. lars

lars

The 2 mentioned pokemon are good, but really, only 2 sets for the vote? come on...

Here we go. Never used this, but it curb stomps the TangKing core which is always nice.

Bouffalant

[​IMG]
    @ Leftovers
    Adamant
    Sap Sipper
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Swords Dance
    Megahorn
    Head Charge
    Earthquake

Out speeds the core and decimates with Megahorn, also provides a good Sleep Powder switch in and Lilligant check. Head Charge for good power and Lefties recovery is minimizing recoil anyway. Levitating ghosts are good switch ins here, but offensive Rotom still takes like 70% or so from a +2 megahorn iirc.

This set isn't generally my cup of tea, but it gets the job done.
  13. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

Some cool nominations here, but I'm going to suggest something very effective I've been using in a balance team recently.

[​IMG]

Sigilyph @life orb
    EVs: 252 sp. atk, 252 spe, Timid
    Magic Guard
    -Calm mind
    -Roost
    -Air slash
    -Hidden power ground

Sigilyph makes a great go-to offensive pokemon who works very nicely alonside manetric (or just about any volt switcher to be honest). Where manetric is great for breaking down offensive teams, sigilyph excels in tackling balanced and stall-based teams. Calm mind does what we all know it does, and becomes very difficult to wall thanks to magic guard and roost, meaning that common special walls such as slowking can't beat it. Air slash is a solid and reliable STAB which hits very hard after life orb boosts and calm minds. HP fighting gives good coverage alongside air slash and stops it from being walled by the likes of aggron and such.

Edit: switched to HP ground after some good advice.
  14. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown in other words...
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Just a nitpick, but Hp Ground is better thatn Hp Fighting because you don't lose speed ties.
  15. lars

lars

I would pick hidden power for coverage over bad iv reductions, but generally Ground is arguably just as good in this case anyway (HP fighting hits Aerodactyl, Munchlax, and Clefable harder, but they aren't all that hard to deal with at this point, and the final team probably won't have any problems with them) and HP ground is a little better to hit Qwilfish, Lanturn, Drapion, and Entei harder (as far as common threats go)

Personally, I think a case could be made for either at this point, but keeping the perfect speed ivs is always a plus with a hp
  16. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

kk guess ill move this along
    You may vote for one person...and not your own -_-
    begin.
  17. Sound

Sound

Vratix

Need a spin blocker, need a physical sweeper, Golurk covers both. That's probably why very few other pokemon were nominated.
  18. SilentVerse

SilentVerse Into the New World
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

Buckles

Basically, OTR Cofagrigus is just the best spinblocker in the entire tier so there's no reason not to use it when our team is focused so much on hazards.
  19. Zebraiken

Zebraiken
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    NU Co-Leader

Buckles

just because OTR cofag is fantastic
  20. Oglemi

Oglemi gimme
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

21. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

22. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

Vratix

OTR cofag is over-used and people have started to actually catch on on how to beat it, plus it's a terrible team player in my experience. Not that it's bad, I'd just rather see Golurk here.
  23. lars

lars

I've put quite a lot of thought into this. If it was my team, I would pick Golurk, but this is a community team so I consider Cof the best pick in this situation.

Buckles
  24. Vratix

Vratix

25. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!

OTR COFAG it is.
    the bomb.com
    kk begin nominating more Pokemon :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)