RU CCAT 3 [Stage 6] Congrats ShakeItUp!

yes, I'd also love to try out this new French inspired playstyle.

Pronounced Blæn-sä, you start with a dual hyper-offense core (commonly Specs Typhlosion/Slowking and CB Kabutops/Entei) to hopefully break key stall breakers like Drapion and Mandibuzz and follow it up with a 4 member full stall. This style is swiftly gathering attention from top-tier players and will surely keep RU cutting-edge.

(lol Honko, just giving you shit, Balance vote for me too)

Molk and I have decided to move this along, as Balance pretty much has this in the bag at this point. So, time for Stage 4: figuring out what else works well on a balanced team with our Moltres and Torterra. The sets, once again, for reference:

Moltres @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Both Molk and I encourage you to start playtesting different potential teammates for these two, as experience is always more reliable than theory. That said, if something synergizes well, feel free to post it up. We as a community can dissect the various options and try to find the ideal teammates, EV spreads, and movesets for this team.

So, let's get cracking on Stage 4 ^.^

I have a proposal for a revenge killer:

Galvantula (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-HP Fighting/HP Ground

It can come in and revenge Water-types that threaten Moltres, and Compoundyes gives a 120 base power STAB move with almost perfect accuracy and a 30% paralysis chance. HP is for other coverage, depends on other teammates.

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 236 Def / 216 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Lanturn would be a great asset to the team, forming a good Fire / Water / Grass core with Moltres and Torterror. Lanturn is a great defensive pivot, and with Volt Switch, it can scout the opponent and possibly allow Moltres to come in safely on something such as Tangrowth. It's going to lure in things such as Sceptile and slow them down with Thunder Wave so Moltres can beat faster foes. It will also absorb the Volt Switches / Thunderbolts from Choice Scarf Electric-type Pokemon such as Manectric, who can use Overheat to KO Torterror. Furthermore, both Moltres and Torterror dislike status effects, and Lanturn can clear those with Heal Bell. Finally, Lanturn counters the threatening Pokemon that we're building the team around.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 248 HP / 116 SDef / 144 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

Slowking will Complete the FWG core while providing a good amount of Special bulk. Slowking will also provide thunder wave support, which will help in the more offensive things like Moltres, in attaining a sweep. Just a suggestion, I dont know RU very well.

Cryogonal (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- HP Rock

It's a team built around Moltres; we're gonna need a spinner. Offensive Cryo can maintain pressure on the opponent while keeping SR off the field for Moltres. It also lures in Fire, Fighting, and Steel attacks for Moltres to easily switch in on. While the shared Rock weakness is a drawback, Torterra picks up that slack. Torterra also screams "Use Ice Beam!", which can help Cryogonal get a chance to switch in as well. Ice Beam is Cryo's obvious STAB of choice, while Hidden Power Rock helps check several threats in RU, including our beloved Moltres here. Fast, offensive, supportive, and decently bulky are all perfect traits for an addition to our balanced team ^.^

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

A spinner and something that completes a FWG core! Life Orb and Swords Dance mean that Kabutops can OHKO the most defensive Cofagrigus after Stealth Rock some of the time. OTR versions are OHKOed. Aqua Jet takes care of frailer Ghosts such as Rotom and Haunter. Rapid Spin helps Moltres greatly and is the crux of the set. Kabutops can also act as a backup sweeper if necessary. Moltres can take Grass, Fighting, Ground type attacks for Kabutops.

While Kabutops does complete both a FWG core and give us a spinner, I think that might lead to a bit too much reliance on one Pokemon (and a somewhat frail one at that >.>)

I've been liking the idea of pairing up Cryogonal and Lanturn with our current lineup. The synergy between the four of them is pretty great (only 2 types hit 2 Pokemon super effectively: Fire, which is walled by Moltres and Lanturn, and Rock, which Torterra takes comfortably but we should still work on). It's also a good balance of offense and defense, which a balanced team should have :3

Magmortar and OTR Slowking jump to mind as potential threats to such a foursome, however... Any thoughts?

I think lanturn would be able to to handle magmortar and slowking quite well myself, but I think it might be an idea to give lanturn some investment in special attack (80 to be exact) and thunderbolt to nab a guarenteed 2hko on offensive slowking with SR. We could also run hydro pump if we want a guarenteed OHKO on magmortar after SR, but I don't think that's all that necessary. Cryo and lanturn would form a great specially defensive core which still retains some offensive pressure (exactly what a balance team is looking for) while still supporting the team nicely and we would still have room in the team to fit in another physically bulky mon to cover torterra (perhaps poliwrath? Two bulky waters isn't bad for a balance team IMO) and room for another sweeper to help out moltres.

In short, I'm all for jellicent's suggestion. I think lanturn and cryo would be the best fits atm.

It seems very likely that we are going to end up with a FWG core....I see two different paths here based on the nominations:

1. VoltTurn: We add the Lanturn set and a Pokemon with U-Turn. Since VoltTurn is a prime switch-forcer, the team solidly counters fire-types. If we do this, we should add a spin blocker that can counter Cryogonal.

2. Specially Bulky "W" piece: Hello, Slowking. TSTEF offers a solid way of completing the FWG core along with a reliable special wall that is an excellent supporter to the team. We can then afford to add another slower attacker.

Especially in lines of the second of these paths, I see Bouffalant as a potential part of the team, maybe Swords Dance + 3 attacks, with great flexibility because of Bouffalant's attacking options:

Head Charge/Return
Revenge
Aerial Ace
Payback
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Megahorn
Wild Charge

However, I'm still testing, so I'll come in more specifically at a later date.

As there hasn't really been any objections to it (or much conversation at all >.>), I'm gonna go ahead and say Lanturn and Cryogonal are being added to the team, giving us Moltres, Torterra, Lanturn, and Cryo. EVs and moves are still subject to change with discussion, of course.

At this point, we should be identifying threats to this core and how to patch them up, as well as potential teammates that can aid Moltres in its sweep.

Four 'mons down, just 2 to go. Let's do this ^.^

We should probably add a user of U-Turn to make a Volt-Turn core, and thus a Pokemon that learns Spikes (Scolipede maybe?), but I'm still in the testing process (which is being severely hampered by the UU Open and the fact that the sever has been messed up).

Team member #5 maybe? I love this guy :)

Bouffalant (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper/Reckless
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Nature: Adamant/Impish
-Head Charge
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Wild Charge/Earthquake/Revenge

This would be the Choice Bander of the team, hitting nearly anything very hard. Head Charge is the best STAB, though the recoil hurts, especially without Rest or other recovery. Megahorn makes Bouffalant a great counter to Lilligant and Tangrowth if it runs Sap Sipper, because it can come in on Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/STAB move, gain an attack boost, and proceed to quickly eliminate both of them with CB-boosted Megahorn. Neither can do much back to Bouffalant because of its bulk, and they virtually never run HP Fighting. Stone Edge helps with Charizard and Typhlosion, plus Flying-types (this set destroys all Cryogonal with any move besides Earthquake). Wild Charge is preferred to destroy bulky waters (excluding Quagsire), but Earthquake can be used for Steels (mainly Aggron), but so can Revenge, which will usually be a BP 120 move due to -1 priority.

Could this be a potential fifth team member? The amazing combination of power and bulk plus being a sleep absorber (outside of Hypnosis) makes it worthy of a spot on the team (not being weak to Stealth Rock is a plus).

EDIT: I looked up a Calc, and +1 CB Bouffalant has an easy 2HKO on 252/252+ Tangrowth with Megahorn with an Impish nature, and a chance to OHKO with Adamant.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Scarf Rotom can keep up momentum with Volt Switch, cripple walls and OTR Pokemon with Trick, and revenge kill various threats to our team (including Crustle after a Shell Smash, which otherwise could pose a serious problem). Our team currently lacks a revenge killer, or any form of priority, making a Choice Scarf or priority user a good idea, imo. Rotom here fits that role quite well, and can even double as a spinblocker should we add a Spikes user onto the team ^.^

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Scarf Rotom can keep up momentum with Volt Switch, cripple walls and OTR Pokemon with Trick, and revenge kill various threats to our team (including Crustle after a Shell Smash, which otherwise could pose a serious problem). Our team currently lacks a revenge killer, or any form of priority, making a Choice Scarf or priority user a good idea, imo. Rotom here fits that role quite well, and can even double as a spinblocker should we add a Spikes user onto the team ^.^
I'd like to add that this gives us two Volt Switch users, thus a VoltTurn core, and the two Volt Switch abusers share no weaknesses. This makes a Spikes user a very good idea. I am in the process of play testing a lead Scolipede with Spikes + Focus Sash + 3 attacks. If I think it is worthy of the last slot, then I will post it here. Also, I don't think using both Bouffalant and Rotom is a good idea because then we don't have a spiker.

I am going to make a vote for Rotom here, because it is a great revenge killer, a crafty mon, and threatening in general. But in addition we should add a Spikes user.

Due to its incredible speed, I think a Scolipede would be a great Pokemon to set down Spikes, and maybe, it could baton pass boosts to a teammate, considering it gets Iron Defense, Swords Dance, and Agility.

A Spikes will be a great asset to the team because it also has a spinblocker already. Spikes are also benificial for Moltres, since it wears down opposing Lanturns. That said, these are the available spikes who reside in RU:

• Accelgor
  • Crustle
  • Ferroseed
  • Qwilfish
  • Roselia
  • Scolipede

From this list, I think Scolipede will be the best option. It can take some hits while being an offensive threat as well. It also absorbs Toxic Spikes in case anyone decides to use it. This will be the set I will be testing with:

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Spikes

On another note does anyone know when this gets it DW ability? (hint, its quick feet which can make a nice sd set).

EDIT:
Ok right now i suggest running Roselia. Otherwise, Sceptile will have a field day with this team.

And cryo needs to be speedy since this team otherwise has a nidoqueen problem.

With no objections, Rotom and Scolipede are now on the team ^.^

With that, we're now in Stage 5: playtesting. Try out the team and offer up some suggestions (I actually used it RU Open; won the one time I played with it with some luck, lost the other time cuz I didn't properly import it and I got generally outplayed anyway). From what I've been testing, HP Rock Sceptile is a definitely a threat that we should watch out for >.>

Maybe Accelgor would be a better choice for the spiker as it outspeeds sceptile. I always preffered Accelgor to Scolipede until Nidoqueen came down, but even now I would use Accelgor because Sceptile is such a problem and Nidoqueen is as covered as a Nidoqueen can be with Cryogonal and Moltres.

Accelgor could definitely be an interesting alternative ^.^

Which set do you all think would be the best fit for this team?

Well I was thinking similar to Scolipede, the spikes+3 attacks.
Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Focus Blast
You could go slower and bulkier just enough to outspeed Aerodactyl but this just outspeeds the base 80 scarfed pokes as well as +2 Omastar. You might prefer hp rock, but I just thought Moltres is already pretty well countered and won't come in anyway vs. Nidoqueen who loves to come in on Accelgor.

Fighting types like gallade and hariyama can be really dangerous when played right, it seems. If we used qwilfish over scolipede. With the new addition of pain split, it will stick around for a while. Lanturn could be replaced but having two water resists is nice and it can take on magmortar and moltres the best.

Qwilfish @ leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Impish nature
-spikes
-pain split
-haze
-waterfall

If you are looking for a specific example of a scary fighting type, try having this team beat a SubLiechiUnburden hitmonlee with rocks down

Fighting types like gallade and hariyama can be really dangerous when played right, it seems. If we used qwilfish over scolipede. With the new addition of pain split, it will stick around for a while. Lanturn could be replaced but having two water resists is nice and it can take on magmortar and moltres the best.

Qwilfish @ leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Impish nature
-spikes
-pain split
-haze
-waterfall

If you are looking for a specific example of a scary fighting type, try having this team beat a SubLiechiUnburden hitmonlee with rocks down
I think SubLiechiUnburden Hitmonlee would have trouble setting up on this team. And Moltres and Rotom cover most of the fighting types.

Alright, so as we start wrapping this up and moving on to the final mystery tourney, we're kinda left with one last major decision: which Spiker to use!

Putting it to a vote:

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Spikes

vs

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Focus Blast

You have about 24 hours to vote. Let's finish this off! (Also, placing my vote now for Accelgor)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)