northsouth (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute / Magnet Rise
- Charge Beam / Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Fire

This Magneton is very good for killing Steel-types. Does Registeel suck a lot? Maybe you want to kill Doublade? Screw Bronzong?

Magneton's removal of annoying Steel-types with Magnet Pull (instead of Analytic) helps threatening sweepers like Mega Altaria, Boomburst Exploud and Dragalge to get through the opponent's team. Some defensive Steel-types such as Gyro Ball Toxic Bronzong, or Iron Head Registeel cannot do shit onto Magneton, giving it a free kill and opening holes in the opponent's team.

240 HP EVs is to give it 301 HP, so it can survive 3 Seismic Tosses from Registeel.

The cool part of this set is Charge Beam Substitute. If your opponent cannot do ANYTHING to you, you can Substitute and Charge Beam in their face to gain power. This is also effective against Moonblast Cresselia / Aromatisse / Fairies. While hiding behind a Substitute at +2 SpA, Magneton is guaranteed another free kill against the opponent's team, so you get 2 kills for one Pokemon.

However, if you prefer to have more reliability in defeating Steel-types, you may consider using Magnet Rise to stop the Steel-types that carry a Ground-type move, such as Bronzong or Registeel's clutch Earthquake.

Escavaliers nowadays carry Drill Run, a Ground-type attack that OHKOes Magneton. For this reason, if you don't have a different Escavalier counter, you will have to use Magnet Rise, and perhaps carry Hidden Power Fire . Oh, and HP Fire might not OHKO if he uses Assault Vest. But punching a huge hole into the snail should be able to open it up for your sweeper to sweep anyway, since it has no recovery and is super slow.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

This Magneton is very good for killing Steel-types. Does Registeel suck a lot? Maybe you want to kill Doublade? Screw Bronzong?

Magneton's removal of annoying Steel-types with Magnet Pull (instead of Analytic) helps threatening sweepers like Mega Altaria, Boomburst Exploud and Dragalge to get through the opponent's team. Some defensive Steel-types such as Gyro Ball Toxic Bronzong, or Iron Head Registeel cannot do shit onto Magneton, giving it a free kill and opening holes in the opponent's team.

240 HP EVs is to give it 301 HP, so it can survive 3 Seismic Tosses from Registeel.

The cool part of this set is Charge Beam Substitute. If your opponent cannot do ANYTHING to you, you can Substitute and Charge Beam in their face to gain power. This is also effective against Moonblast Cresselia / Aromatisse / Fairies. While hiding behind a Substitute at +2 SpA, Magneton is guaranteed another free kill against the opponent's team, so you get 2 kills for one Pokemon.

Warning: Escavaliers nowadays carry Drill Run, a Ground-type attack that OHKOes Magneton. For this reason, if you don't have a different Escavalier counter, you will have to use Hidden Power Fire as a desperate measure. Oh, and HP Fire might not OHKO if he uses Assault Vest. But punching a huge hole into the snail should be able to open it up for your sweeper to sweep anyway, since it has no recovery and is super slow.
I know I always run Earthquake on Bronzong, and I've seen ladder Registeel run Earthquake as well (granted it sucks a lot). In order to more easily trap these as well as Escavalier, have you considered running Magnet Rise over Substitute? It does some other cool things besides trap the aforementioned steel-types as well, such as absolutely shit on Rhyperior. Its not as nice for dealing with Fairies as Substitute is, but if the goal is for Dragalge / Mega Altaria / Exploud to have an easier time sweeping, I'd rather consistently deal with Zonger and Esca than worry about fairies.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That is a great idea! I will try Magnet Rise instead of Substitute to deal with Ground holding Steels more reliably!

EDIT: SubChargeBeam was to kill SToss Registeel and to get a free kill behind the sub. That was the main point of the set. Pursuit Tomb cannot OHKO Doublade or Bronzong at all, it takes 2 hits to kill, which is, very sad.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
Regardless of Magnet Rise, Registeel can just alternate between Seismic Toss and Protect and Magneton will not be able to deal enough damage to take it out before it's KOed itself, and if you really want to take out Doublade and Bronzong that badly, Pursuit Spiritomb exists for a reason. I don't really see much of a reason to use Magnet Pull Magneton this gen, it just seems like a waste of a perfectly good wallbreaker. As for Registeel, Dugtrio does a fine job at taking it on as well. So basically, if you want to trap Steels, use either Spiritomb or Dugtrio or both if you're feeling frisky.

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Hp / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Autotomize
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Flail

When you send Golem go straight for the Autotomize giving it the 400 speed. Your opponent will most likely use one of Golems many weakness on it, giving it 2x attack from the weakness policy. After this he could give you 1-3 easy kills. Of course entry hazards and priority moves really screw this over, but it has worked quite well judging from my experience.
Hail and statuses ruin this set. Hail, burn, and poison break sturdy. Sleep gives you opponent time to hit you twice. And paralysis ruins your speed game. And flail. For a normal move explosion is better. 50 more power and you have 1 hp left so might as well go out with a bang.

Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute / Magnet Rise

However, if you prefer to have more reliability in defeating Steel-types, you may consider using Magnet Rise to stop the Steel-types that carry a Ground-type move, such as Bronzong or Registeel's clutch Earthquake.

Escavaliers nowadays carry Drill Run, a Ground-type attack that OHKOes Magneton. For this reason, if you don't have a different Escavalier counter, you will have to use Magnet Rise, and perhaps carry Hidden Power Fire . Oh, and HP Fire might not OHKO if he uses Assault Vest. But punching a huge hole into the snail should be able to open it up for your sweeper to sweep anyway, since it has no recovery and is super slow.
Curse Registeel sets up on Magneton.

This set I've been using to HUGE success on the RU ladder. and here it is...PLOTBAT

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Sludge Bomb
- Heat Wave

This is a beast of a Poke, but it's a shame no one uses it. It can bluff defogs, making the opponent make unnecessary switches that won't do anything in the long run. The beautiful thing about this set is that I have only run into 2 things in the common metagame (not saying there isn't anymore, so if you find one, then feel free to tell me!) that resist the 2 move combo, Rhyperior and Jellicent. These can be easily taken care of though. The speed investment is there to out-speed defensive Cobalion and Virizion running 4 in speed. Say they want to switch in and try and finish you off with whatever they've got (idk why you would switch Virizion in, but this is mainly for Cobalion) and want to finish you off if you are low. If you have set up a few nasty plots, then you will be able to OHKO it no problem with heat wave. Another great thing about this is that it sets up on many things even though this set has no defense investment. It sets up on any defensive mon, even if it has a super-effective move. I will post replays later, haven't saved any battles yet :/

Last edited:
I'm a die-hard whimsicott user and think its arugeable to say its the GREATEST TANK YOU WILL EVER SEE
Joking aside this set is something that needs some love. and incase you think im crazy i have tested all variations because i use it on the ladder but i also have box of whimsicotts i trained in my PokeBank because y'know, die-hard fan. and unsurprisingly it works like a charm~

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 SpA or SpD Depending on your preference~
Bold Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast/Giga Drain
- Light Screen/Fake Tears/Growth

lets start with what it can. Bread and butter is Cotton Guard >>> Leech Seed which is what makes this thing THAT ANNOYING TANK THAT NEVER DIES. Moonblast and Giga Drain both have their own benefits (sustain over damage and vice versa).last move slot is pick 'n' mix of sorts which allows you to increase your survival rate against special attacker, deal meaningful damage against special tank threats and just straight be that guy by increasing your offensive. itemwise leftovers is the more reliable way to go as it keeps you sustained rather well while rocky helmet adds to damage that you may or may not feel is lacking(aka Gigadrain tickling a special wall). did i mention this thing gives causes people to surrender from diabetes, its just that sweet allow this Fluffball to get set up and it can potientially sweep a opponent that isnt ready to counter it the amount of times this thing has times this thing has saved me is quite amazing really. just to be fair and counter all these pros with something it has to be said it takes a minimum of 2 turns to get rolling which can be considered pretty slow aaaaaand poison attacks pretty much end all momentum but the pros outway the cons amirite? ofcourse i am kek. and just in case it wasn't clear
THIS THING CAN CARRY GAMES YOU WOULDNT OTHERWISE WINSometimes maybe, idk maybe its the bias talking kekekekekeekekekekeke

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a die-hard whimsicott user and think its arugeable to say its the GREATEST TANK YOU WILL EVER SEE
Joking aside this set is something that needs some love. and incase you think im crazy i have tested all variations because i use it on the ladder but i also have box of whimsicotts i trained in my PokeBank because y'know, die-hard fan. and unsurprisingly it works like a charm~

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 SpA or SpD Depending on your preference~
Bold Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast/Giga Drain
- Light Screen/Fake Tears/Growth

lets start with what it can. Bread and butter is Cotton Guard >>> Leech Seed which is what makes this thing THAT ANNOYING TANK THAT NEVER DIES. Moonblast and Giga Drain both have their own benefits (sustain over damage and vice versa).last move slot is pick 'n' mix of sorts which allows you to increase your survival rate against special attacker, deal meaningful damage against special tank threats and just straight be that guy by increasing your offensive. itemwise leftovers is the more reliable way to go as it keeps you sustained rather well while rocky helmet adds to damage that you may or may not feel is lacking(aka Gigadrain tickling a special wall). did i mention this thing gives causes people to surrender from diabetes, its just that sweet allow this Fluffball to get set up and it can potientially sweep a opponent that isnt ready to counter it the amount of times this thing has times this thing has saved me is quite amazing really. just to be fair and counter all these pros with something it has to be said it takes a minimum of 2 turns to get rolling which can be considered pretty slow aaaaaand poison attacks pretty much end all momentum but the pros outway the cons amirite? ofcourse i am kek. and just in case it wasn't clear
THIS THING CAN CARRY GAMES YOU WOULDNT OTHERWISE WINSometimes maybe, idk maybe its the bias talking kekekekekeekekekekeke
Just curious, is that EV spread actually meant for something is it as random as the rest of the set lol. I feel like since Cotton Guard is its main selling point investing more special defense would be beneficial.

Tele

a quality human being

Ambipom @ Normal Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Covet
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

I dont know if someone already mentioned this set on this thread, but i think its kinda funny to use and a surprise factor as well. Covet basically works the same way of Knock Off, but with 2 main differences that in my opinion makes it a superior choice: it gets the Technician boost (60 base) and is a STAB move too; furthermore it steals the user item (which Knock Off doesn't), since normal gem is a single use item. Ice Punch and Low Kick for coverage.

Ambipom @ Normal Gem
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Covet
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

I dont know if someone already mentioned this set on this thread, but i think its kinda funny to use and a surprise factor as well. Covet basically works the same way of Knock Off, but with 2 main differences that in my opinion makes it a superior choice: it gets the Technician boost (60 base) and is a STAB move too; furthermore it steals the user item (which Knock Off doesn't), since normal gem is a single use item. Ice Punch and Low Kick for coverage.
Good job finding a worse way to use an already terrible Pokemon. Ambipom's only (and VERY VERY questionable) niche is having a strong Fake Out and you are not even using that. If you really want to use this Pokemon, which is very mediocre i must say, i redirect you to Molk's post.
Molk said:
This really needs be done gdi .__.

Don't Use This:

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Last Resort

Why It's Bad:

Just.....no. I know that the appeal of a 140 BP STAB move with 100% accuracy might look appealing at first, but it really just isn't worth it on Ambipom. By using the Fake Out Last Resort set on Ambipom you're forfeiting literally every coverage option Ambipom could run to get past the various Steel- Rock- and Ghost-types in the tier, making sure that while this set might have a stronger STAB move than the standard, that it's NEVER sweeping against a competent opponent. Especially in RU: a tier filled to the brim with things such as Rhyperior, Doublade, and Cobalion, as well as powerful priority moves such as Fletchinder's Acrobatics and Zoroark's Sucker Punch that force Ambipom out. On top of this, the fact that Ambipom can't even use Last Resort until after its used Fake Out makes Ambipom even more predictable than usual, and essentially gives the opponent a free turn to act accordingly. At least all out attacker Ambipom can hit a Fake Out resist with a coverage move on the switch, this set literally has no other options.

Instead, Use This:

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Why It's Better:

Disregarding the fact that Ambipom is a sort of overrated Pokemon in general, this set performs far better than the Fake Out Last Resort set ever could as an all out attacker and/or revenge killer You're losing some raw power by using Return over Last Resort, but in the end this Ambipom set is actually much better at inflicting damage on things thanks to its ability to actually run coverage moves. Do you see a Registeel or Rhyperior coming in? predict the switch and use Low Kick to deal massive damage instead of having your Last Resort simply laughed at. Doublade, Mega Banette, or generically physically bulky Pokemon coming in? Use Knock Off to smack them hard on the switch, remove the former's Eviolite, and the Leftovers of anything that fits into the classification of the latter. If you're gonna use Ambipom as an offensive Pokemon, this is your best bet.
Welcome to RU!

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

My favorite pokemon with one of my favorite sets. Criminally underrated, but once Dark types are eliminated, it can certainly pack a punch.

Cuddles (Reuniclus) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Basically come in with a slow VoltTurn (I've been using Lanturn for this) and launch a Future Sight, a base 120 STAB move that hits after 2 turns through protect, sub, and the like. Specs boost Reuniclus' power to obscene levels, and is sure to destroy pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, and a few things that do (OHKO'd Durant, but Durant has no SpD lol) After using Future Sight, switch out into whatever the situation calls for and receive a nice Regenerator boost. Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast are for situations where launching Future Sight probably isn't worth it, but for the most part, you will be using Future Sight. EVs are standard, and since this is a hit and run attacker, Regenerator is chosen since it provides more benefits than Magic Guard; however, if you use wish support, switching to Magic Guard could be done.

This set has been used before, so sorry if it doesn't fall under "creative" but it certainly is underrated and should be looked into more, especially considering Mega Houndoom's ban.

Good job finding a worse way to use an already terrible Pokemon. Ambipom's only (and VERY VERY questionable) niche is having a strong Fake Out and you are not even using that. If you really want to use this Pokemon, which is very mediocre i must say, i redirect you to Molk's post.

Welcome to RU!
Evn tho i like the Covet set before(stealing items is cool)..I dont know why that thing its still in RU, Like most people said its pretty bad in this tier vs competititvee teams when they always carry a rock or steel type, Its even at teh bottom at the viavility rankings. So. What do you think about this set:

Ambipom Choice Band /Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Return
- Switcheroo

This Set can do something regular Ambipom cant which is hit harder , trap ghost and keep momentum anddd CRIPPLE WALLS. Using this I think you will need a steel/rock remover. My logic is that you can hit stuff harder than usual with return overcoming its weak power, hes great partner to trap ghosts for partner fighting types , He can also keep Uturning if you feel you have a better answer to his pokemon or just dont do anythign to his, And finally Switcheroo ! This can cripple walls that try to come at him , you cripple it and then u-turn out 1 for 1! .In what teamcomps do you think this set would work best with??

wow, i legit want to steal this set. it is that cool. the one change i would make would be to invest in some Atk, about 100 EV's worth sounds good. doesn't compromise the special bulk too much, and you gain the luxury of ohko'ing escavalier with blaze kick after rocks, as well as making some of your 2hko's into more comfortable 2hko's. tell me what you think of this change. Overall, fantastic anti-meta setup! :)
Blaze Kick isn't listed here, but moving some HP EVs to Attack is still a great idea.

This set I've been using to HUGE success on the RU ladder. and here it is...PLOTBAT

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Sludge Bomb
- Heat Wave

This is a beast of a Poke, but it's a shame no one uses it. It can bluff defogs, making the opponent make unnecessary switches that won't do anything in the long run. The beautiful thing about this set is that I have only run into 2 things in the common metagame (not saying there isn't anymore, so if you find one, then feel free to tell me!) that resist the 2 move combo, Rhyperior and Jellicent. These can be easily taken care of though. The speed investment is there to out-speed defensive Cobalion and Virizion running 4 in speed. Say they want to switch in and try and finish you off with whatever they've got (idk why you would switch Virizion in, but this is mainly for Cobalion) and want to finish you off if you are low. If you have set up a few nasty plots, then you will be able to OHKO it no problem with heat wave. Another great thing about this is that it sets up on many things even though this set has no defense investment. It sets up on any defensive mon, even if it has a super-effective move. I will post replays later, haven't saved any battles yet :/
I decided to give it a run myself. Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-199812567 (the opponent commented on the genius of this set, too)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-199818277 (shows a limitation of Golbat--it gets crippled by paralysis; as a result I pair it with specially defensive Aromatisse, but at this point I just decided to let it die since I thought it was heavily weakened and outsped by most of the opponent's team)

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
dropping two bombs here (hehe get it cuz im middle eastern and used to be muslim..)

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Gunk Shot

SubSD + SubPunch Panda. first of all i'd like to credit Don Honchkrorleone, I thought I was the first to bring SubPunch panda to the light but turns out he actually used it before me, oh well. He did give me the SubSD set though and jesus fuck both of them are destructive. we all know Pangoro forces switches, and it can easily grab a sub in the switch. With SubSD, it can use its sub to safely set up SD and then just annihilate shit. Stuff like Fletchinder can't revenge kill it from behind a sub, and there's not much else to say really. It can set up a sub against alomomola easily, and come in against stuff it forces out and then take advantage of them.

SubPunch is what's really fun, though. Look at Pangoro's attack for a sec; it's a massive base 124. It uses max investment with Adamant, and Focus Punch is a base 150 power move with STAB AND further boosted by Iron Fist. It's 180 without STAB, 270 with. You just know it'll be bringing down walls with that. The 4th slot depends on who you wanna break more easily, Gligar or Aromatisse. The speed I have is for Alomomola and a bit of creep iirc but I forgot for what, rest is in HP to boost its sub's HP/bulk.

Last edited:
dropping two bombs here (hehe get it cuz im middle eastern and used to be muslim..)

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Gunk Shot

SubSD + SubPunch Panda. first of all i'd like to credit Don Honchkrorleone, I thought I was the first to bring SubPunch panda to the light but turns out he actually used it before me, oh well. He did give me the SubSD set though and jesus fuck both of them are destructive. we all know Pangoro forces switches, and it can easily grab a sub in the switch. With SubSD, it can use its sub to safely set up SD and then just annihilate shit. Stuff like Fletchinder can't revenge kill it from behind a sub, and there's not much else to say really. It can set up a sub against alomomola easily, and come in against stuff it forces out and then take advantage of them.

SubPunch is what's really fun, though. Look at Pangoro's attack for a sec; it's a massive base 124. It uses max investment with Adamant, and Focus Punch is a base 150 power move with STAB AND further boosted by Iron Fist. It's 180 without STAB, 270 with. You just know it'll be bringing down walls with that. The 4th slot depends on who you wanna break more easily, Gligar or Aromatisse. The speed I have is for Alomomola and a bit of creep iirc but I forgot for what, rest is in HP to boost its sub's HP/bulk.
Smh stop crediting other people for sets i suggested smh

[18:57] Leandro: now something to Amoonguss
[18:57] Leandro: maybe
[18:57] Leandro: Protect Pidgeot
[18:57] Leandro: yn
[18:57] galbia: n
[18:57] galbia: use
[18:57] galbia: sub sd panda
[18:58] Leandro: k

Anyway another not that creative but definitely underrated set

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Refresh
- Roost

This set definitely does not have the immediate power not the momentum gaining abilities of the standard offensive set but it is definitely very strong and effective in the current metagame due to the surprising number of passive ways of handling Pidgeot that are popular nowadays such as the ever so common Specially Defensive Alomomola, Cresselia, Specially Defensive Gligar, Specially Defensive Aromatisse and some more by simply setting up on them to oblivion (surprising their attempt to Toxic Stall and such via Wish+Protect) and then proceed to sweep. This set is certainly not self sufficient and while it is able to beat a statused Eeelektross or Lanturn quite well it obviously needs support to beat Rhyperior, Magneton, and Bronzong which is quite easy to solve via Dugtrio and Escavalier/Spiritomb Pursuit.

Hey, I wanted to put a spotlight on a very underrated mon, that can perform its role pretty good in the current RU- meta. We are talking about no other than Stunfisk. Stunfisk is an excellent counter to Mega- Pidgeot, it takes Hurricanes for days and if they want to U- turn out they risk the static- para. Stunfisk also counters Fletchinder, Jolteon, Magneton and is very helpfull against stuff like Doublade, Drapion, Cobalion, Braviary etc. I normally like to use a Resto Chesto- set, that allows me to set up Stealth Rock against almost everything and Rest to full health, since there is not much that can 2HKO Stunfisk. Resto Chesto also helps switching in on Fletchinder, since you dont have to worry about a burn. Static can also be helpfull to punish the mindless use of Fake Out. Here is the set I've been using:

Stunfisk @ Chesto Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Stealth Rock
- Rest / Scald / Toxic
- Earth Power

+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 Def Stunfisk: 129-153 (30.5 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery.
252+ SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Stunfisk: 85-101 (20.1 - 23.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Stunfisk: 146-174 (34.5 - 41.2%) -- 67.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
Is this dude a fan of Sweep? Just my thoughts, but I feel like Rest Talk and 2 offensive moves (perhaps Discharge and Scald/Earth Power) would benefit Stunfisk more if using Rest as Chesto Berry is more of a one time thing which can get burned off pretty easily in certain scenarios and Stealth Rock should just be used on something like a Support Cobalion

gorex said:
Is this dude a fan of Sweep? Just my thoughts, but I feel like Rest Talk and 2 offensive moves (perhaps Discharge and Scald/Earth Power) would benefit Stunfisk more if using Rest as Chesto Berry is more of a one time thing which can get burned off pretty easily in certain scenarios and Stealth Rock should just be used on something like a Support Cobalion
Who is "Sweep"...? Thank you for your thoughts. I guess, I forgot, that Stealth Rock should only be used on something like Cobalion, since only horses are capable of doing this job well. Without Stealth Rock Stunfisks only utility becomes to counter certain mons and maybe get some paras with static. If you are lookink for a mon, that fits this role, then use RestTalk. The problem with a Rest- Talk set is, that many of the mons, Stunfisk is supposed to counter (Fletchinder, Pidgeot, Jolteon) are immune to one of his STAB- attacks and it can be pretty miserable, if they set up on you and you don't get the right moves. You also need both STAB- attacks to do some damage to the mons mentioned. Anyway, at the end I don't care how you want to use Stunfisk, as long as you see his potential, my post served its purpose.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Amoonguss@black sludge
Bold: 252 hp 160 def 96 spdef but speed creep is good
-giga drain
-clear smog/sludge bomb
-foul play/synthesis/hp whatever you need
-worry seed

Okay dont call me dumb please. Give me a chance! You think hahahaha what a stupid noob he is using worry seed to give his opponent a decent ability instead of using the awesome free ko almost in spore?!?

Wrong.

This set only has its use on one sort of team...my favorite full stall! Worry seed means now defensive cm reuniclus won't destroy you because you can toxic it now for damage (you speed tie so creep is good but it won't ohko anyways at +1). Same for sigilyph except air slash might ko so you need more spdef. The thing is my own stall team can handle sigi so I don't need the extra spdef for that and I need the extra def for some physical waters.

On stall teams spore isn't as useful. I won't say it's not useful because that would be a lie but just sleeping a threat that has the potential to 6-0 isn't enough you need to kill it outright or be killed yourself. Also since stall is passive and used weak attackers it's easy to wait out the sleep turns with smart switching (a sleeping pidgey for example can just stay in or switch in amoonguss to get rid of sleep turns)

However if you don't need one of the other moves spore can be useful I just find it generally inferior to other moves on stall and synthesis is usually a better filler.

Worry seed also helps in certain last pokemon scenarios like exploud maybe and all you have left is this and a ghost. This saves you. Also for last pokemon guts boosters like gurdurr are severely weakened if they are statused which is outright likely on stall.

Also forgot to mention in direct response to below post unfixable worry seed stops rest too important for rest boosters

Tldr, worry seed isn't useless in stall teams! Ps u need a phazer still to beat reuniclus until it becomes last mon or else it will rofl stomp amoonguss and switch out to regain Magic guard

Last edited:
Amoonguss@black sludge
Bold: 252 hp 160 def 96 spdef but speed creep is good
-giga drain
-clear smog/sludge bomb
-foul play/synthesis/hp whatever you need
-worry seed

Okay dont call me dumb please. Give me a chance! You think hahahaha what a stupid noob he is using worry seed to give his opponent a decent ability instead of using the awesome free ko almost in spore?!?

Wrong.

This set only has its use on one sort of team...my favorite full stall! Worry seed means now defensive cm reuniclus won't destroy you because you can toxic it now for damage (you speed tie so creep is good but it won't ohko anyways at +1). Same for sigilyph except air slash might ko so you need more spdef. The thing is my own stall team can handle sigi so I don't need the extra spdef for that and I need the extra def for some physical waters.

On stall teams spore isn't as useful. I won't say it's not useful because that would be a lie but just sleeping a threat that has the potential to 6-0 isn't enough you need to kill it outright or be killed yourself. Also since stall is passive and used weak attackers it's easy to wait out the sleep turns with smart switching (a sleeping pidgey for example can just stay in or switch in amoonguss to get rid of sleep turns)

However if you don't need one of the other moves spore can be useful I just find it generally inferior to other moves on stall and synthesis is usually a better filler.

Worry seed also helps in certain last pokemon scenarios like exploud maybe and all you have left is this and a ghost. This saves you. Also for last pokemon guts boosters like gurdurr are severely weakened if they are statused which is outright likely on stall.

Tldr, worry seed isn't useless in stall teams! Ps u need a phazer still to beat reuniclus until it becomes last mon or else it will rofl stomp amoonguss and switch out to regain Magic guard
I'd say if anything that Gastro Acid is much better over Worry Seed to entirely remove the ability and still be able to put anything to Sleep.

I'd say if anything that Gastro Acid is much better over Worry Seed to entirely remove the ability and still be able to put anything to Sleep.
Since he isn't using a sleep-inducing move, Worry Seed might be superior for preventing opponents from using Rest (Chesto Rest Rotom-C/RestCurse Steelix), as well as being able to prevent accidental nullification of opposing Pokemon's Truant (however trivial that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)