Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Aerial Ace

I think this is a very underrated set. Scyther has the ability to set up on many bulky stall mons some including alomomola, aromatisse, gligar and more which are thought to wall or beat scyther 1v1. With it's amazing speed it can be an amazing sweeper after getting to +2 or even +6 if lucky enough. Eviolite adds bulk to what it already has being an alright 70/80/80. basically it subs on any ailments besides ones with the pokemon having infiltrator, Roosts off lost damage from the repeated subs, Swords dances and begins to run throught the opponents team. Not only good against stall but gets opportunity to set up against some balance teams with mons like gligar, cobalion, alomomola, rotom-c if you sub after they break your first sub with volt switch. As any mon should it has a few checks two being infiltrator golbat and doublade. It's a great choice for a mon!!

tehy

Banned deucer.
Since he isn't using a sleep-inducing move, Worry Seed might be superior for preventing opponents from using Rest (Chesto Rest Rotom-C/RestCurse Steelix), as well as being able to prevent accidental nullification of opposing Pokemon's Truant (however trivial that is)
True, but he should use gastro+spore entirely since spore is the best.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
True, but he should use gastro+spore entirely since spore is the best.
Actually I just explained in my post why spore isn't the best and the insomnia to beat rest users is pretty essential

Mahmudkipz was spot on right except truant is nullified anyways but that is trivial and I don't believe worry seed affects grass

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch

I think this set is amazing in this meta. It sets up on nearly every mon in the tier barring SD doublade, Band Pangoro, Band Emboar, Specs and other threats. It has the ability to beat gligar 1v1 as for any other rock setter/ defogger barring infiltrator toxic golbat. It's moves hit the whole tier for neutral except for Golurk. There isn't much to say about this set because it's so basic, all you do is click sub and coil until you can KO your opponents whole team. I don't think iv'e ever seen this set before but I like it. Very underrated set imo!!

Last edited:

Archeops @ Leftovers
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 72 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- U-turn/Taunt
- Stone Edge

Bulky Archeops is one of my favourite mons i used to play on Offense, that thing is in my opinion the best and the less "counterproductive" tool that playstyle has for Flying and Fire-type threats in general. Even if its bulk is basically pretty weird overall, it has a lot a good points which increases a lot its versatility at fitting this role. It has a very high speed, so the team's fast side will not be devalued, has access to a reliable recovery move, Roost which means it can heal itself so it can't be just weared down at eating repeated hits. From there, Archeops is basically outclassed by Cresselia, which can do his work just better, as it can also cripple stuffs with Thunder Wave, but Cheops still has others qualities; it can grab momentum with U-turn, can help its teammates sweeping your opponent and prevents birds from being able to be sent out at multiple times with Stealth Rock. Finally, I decided to add Taunt as an option over U-turn which can be cool for hazard control, as it does just cockblock Gligar which is p. nice, it also prevents some set up cancer stuffs like SubCM Cresselia from ripping your team, offence's worst nightmare. The spread allows it to be able to take two Hurricanes from Mega-Pidgeot and a +2 Fletchinder Acrobatics after Stealth Rock as well as outspeeding by one point non-evolved Pidgeot. The last thing you can do is trying to rose the speed until it can tie with Timid Delphox (204 investment), but no more, because that'd would oblige you to drop one more EV on SpDef so the 3HKO from Pidge's Hurricane after Stealth Rock wouldn't be guaranteed at 100% anymore. Like i said earlier, don't use this if you are running stall or bulky offense; there are many bulkier and more reliable answers for Flying-spam, for example Lanturn/Eelek/Rhyperior + a Wisher cores. Archeops enjoys a lot conventional HO teammates such as LO Hitmonlee, Mega-Sceptile, Serperior, Pangoro and even Substitute+SD mons (Feraligatr/Bouffalant) which are all good against stall.

Last edited:
This is a variation of an Ambipom set from BW UU.

Ambipom @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge/Return
- Beat Up
- Low Kick
- Grass Knot/Fire Punch/Switcharoo

I know that Beat Up is normally horribly outclassed by Knock Off. But Ambipom can't 2HKO Cresselia, Bronzong, Spiritomb or Doublade with Knock Off. Extra power is needed, and Technician Beat Up provides it. Assuming that your team has 6 alive Pokemon with an average base Attack of 70 (or 5 with an average of 90), and with the boost from Technician, you end up with a roughly 108 Base Power Dark Type move. Compare this to Knock Off, whose two hit average Base Power is 81.25. As a bonus, if Cofagrigus bothers you, Beat Up does not trigger Mummy.

252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Beat Up (108 BP) vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 202-238 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Beat Up (108 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 138-164 (44.2 - 52.5%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Beat Up (108 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 192-226 (56.8 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Beat Up (108 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Spiritomb: 137-162 (45 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (still loses to defensive Tomb)

252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 180-214 (40.5 - 48.1%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 124-148 (39.7 - 47.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 172-204 (50.8 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ambipom Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Spiritomb: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

All of the Knock Off calcs are 3HKOs when the power drop is factored in, of course.

The fourth moves are filler designed to hit specific walls hard. Grass Knot 2HKOs Rhyperior, and does around the same damage to it as Cinccino's Bullet Seed (and way more than Ambipom's own Seed Bomb). Fire Punch 1HKOs Durant and Escavalier, and Switcharoo messes up Alomomola (warning: Double Edge is not compatible with Switcharoo).

It sucks that a lot of these calcs are 2HKOs, but Ambipom is a magnet for physical walls due to the expected Fake Out, and it still beats out Cinccino and Zangoose. Still, if a mod took one look at this wall of text and decided to blacklist Ambipom from this thread, I would understand.

Finally, these are the base Attack stats for the most common Pokemon of RU. Notice that most of them exceed 70, matching my calculations above if all of them are alive:

Cobalion - 90
Dragalge - 75
Hitmonlee - 120
Doublade - 110
Pangoro - 124
Alomomola - 75
Rhyperior - 140
Bronzong - 89
Cresselia - 70
Slowking - 75
Meloetta - 77 (Meloetta-P's stats will never be used)
Registeel - 75
Reuniclus - 65
Moltres - 100
Glalie - 80 (120 if Mega Evolved)
Escavalier - 135
Abomasnow - 92 (132 if Mega Evolved)

Ambipom itself is 100. Sneasel is 95.

Last edited:

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Rock Blast / Rock Wrecker

February came with two great gifts for Crustle. The departure of Gligar, a defogger that made it pretty much a liability as an hazards setter, and the release of Custap Berry that pretty much guarantees, coupled with Sturdy, the ability to get up at least 2 layers of entry hazards every game. Knock Off is a very cool move Crustle can use this generation because it annoys common switchins such as Doublade and Rhyperior crippling them by removing their item and recovery and Rock Blast is used to bother Golbat. Rock Wrecker is also not a terrible option as it was used last gen too i believe and can be a good suicide attack with good prediction once you are brought down low as it is very very powerful.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Future Sight

Fun set i've been playing around with on the ladder lately and its actually being really useful, since the dtail slot is kinda filler you can run this if you'd like :]
Also its kinda like that specs reuni set but a bit more viable i guess.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Aurorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire

This thing is a slept on threat i swear. props to Veleno for bringing it to my attention. Even though it's x4 weak to Mach Punch, if Hitmonlee is removed from the game (and it's not hard to do that if you can manage to lay down hazards and pressure opponent to have Lee spin) then it can do serious work, seeing as with its bulk it can set up on a lot of things, including Moltres (unless LO Fire Blast), Fletchinder, Meloetta (unless choice specs and locked into Psychic), so on and so forth. It's really cool as a late-game cleaner imo, with very respectable power thanks to the now-accessible Hyper Voice along with Refrigerate, and good coverage in Freeze Dry and Earth Power, with HP Fire being there if u need it to get past weakened Escavalier, and having something to tickle Bronzong with

After Rock Polish it can outspeed Scarf Moltres.

This Pokemon/set does require a lot of support though; she needs hazards gone so that they don't hamper her too much, and Lee must be eliminated unless its a Scarf variant without Mach Punch, which you would outspeed after a Rock Polish. It also needs steel-types weakened to the point where it could kill or eliminated entirely.

Last edited:

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Sawk (M) @ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy/Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
I was chillin one day looking for a different lure set for sawk and what caught my eye was that sawk learned pain split. I thought and played around with the calc and saw that sawk can sub against a mola and 2hko it with close combat if adamant and it's s.def or outplay it and knock it's lefties then proceed to 2hko it. It can sub on switches and then do damage and pain split of it every gets weak. I thought it was pretty coil it could utilize a set in which it hits hard and can recover hp if lucky. I thought of this set from remembering a cool gen 5 rotom set i used to use. i hope you guys enjoy this cool set I found!

Last edited:

Steelix @ Occa Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head / Explosion
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock / Explosion

This Steelix is meant to use as a lead. It's cool to stick Steelix at the very front of your team, making it really easy for your opponent to guess that you're going to lead with Steelix, which compels them to send out their fire type. I won't post calcs but rest assured: moltres, embroar, delphox, camerupt, and others are beaten if they choose to stay in against steelix. The reason why camerupt is beaten most of the time is because Camerupt will typically use their stab fire move as opposed to earth power (which will KO steelix) because they're afraid it's too obvious and you'll switch to a ground-immune mon. Steelix has sheer force + enough attack to KO embroar and all the common fire-types as well as enough bulk to live any fire attack thrown at it with a few exceptions, such as modest choice specs fire blast from moltres. This is mainly useful if you want to use a strategy of luring and killing the fire type and then utilizing that in the form of a fire-weak sweeper. Also if a fire type doesn't come in, then it's fine because steelix is a solid mon in RU to begin will and so there's a good chance sr can get up.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off / Dazzling Gleam

Lure Meloetta is probably my favorite Meloetta set as of now just because the amount of Pokemon it can draw in and take out is amazing. With Rhyperior everywhere, and it normally being a decent switch-in to Meloetta b/c of Specs Hyper Voice, smashing it with an Energy Ball is pretty nice. HP Fire lures out Escavalier and can OHKO if it switches directly in on a Knock Off. Knock Off is used less for its damage output and more so that you're guaranteed to cripple anything defensive. Dazzling Gleam on the other hand bones Pangoro and Spiritomb to a lesser extent; I prefer Knock Off though because Dazzling Gleam is mostly for Pangoro since you're still forced into a 50/50 when up against Spiritomb even if it switches directly in on a Dazzling Gleam. Focus Blast > HP Fire if Escav is less of a concern is also an option.

Cofagrigus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpA
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Will-o-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Rest

Note: The EVS on this thing are probably suboptimal, it's not something I'm particularly good at yet.

This has been a quirky set that I've used to mixed success. It primarily acts as a lure for dark type Pokemon to come in after seeing a Nasty Plot to get burned, as most expect an OTR variant or a bulky wall. Against Pokemon such as Alomomola, Cresselia, bulky steels, or Amoonguss after Spore, it can also set up a nasty plot with relative ease and potentially act as a mid-late game wall breaker. It is worth noting that Shadow Ball is a major shortcoming for this set - it's Cofagrigus's STAB and really it's only good offensive move, but it leads to a weakness against normal types. Most don't like a burn, but being prepared for those such as Meloetta and Exploud is a good call. Running ChestoRest over leftovers may seem like an odd choice, but oftentimes most walls that Cofagrigus comes in against tend to run toxic and will use it as a means of crippling Cofagrigus. Regenrator cores love to make effect of this strategy late game especially. Having ChestoRest gives a reliable recovery for one turn and allows for a free nasty plot to lure in darks without having to worry about losing Cofagrigus once it switches out at, say, 60-50%. It also has utility as a general wall for physical threats if necessary. It also loves to form physically defensive cores with Aromatisse and Mega-Steelix (or all three).

It's worth noting that this also works for Spiritomb, who has comparable bulk and a useful dark type STAB (as well as calm mind to bluff resttalk Calm Mind). The only issue is that it doesn't (aside from Pangoro with Scrappy) lure in dark types as effectively from personal experience. Cofagrigus is also preferable for Pokemon like Cobalion and Virizion who would love to eat up a dark pulse and can be major threats in the long run. It's really dependent on the team. This isn't a knock the stars out set, but it's effective for the right team and is (imo) the best Cofagrigus has to offer right now in RU.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Childslayer (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Rapid Spin

Very strong revenge killer that's faster than Rotom-C? Check. Spinner? Check. Knock Off spammer? check.

All that aside though, I used this in the team I got reqs with and holy shit so many teams were weak to it lol. Yes, Cress was rampant and Doublade wasn't exactly unseen, but still it was so good because its HJK is ridiculously strong even without Adamant or a Life Orb boost. It's still capable of OHKOing Virizion and Rotom-C for example, and can revenge kill a lot of other things ranging from Tyrantrum to DD Gatr, Cobalion/Virizion, Durant, and outspeed almost anything. It can also outspeed Rotom-C and Emboar, two common scarfers that I expect will be more common with Moltres gone, as well as outspeeding just about everything in the RU metagame. It's not exactly a reliable Rapid Spinner but it could clutch, and Double-Edge is a relatively strong neutral attack. Close Combat can be used somewhere on the set (but i'd advise you to keep HJK because it OHKOs some shit) for consistency's sake. The only problem it faces is that it hates Ghost-types more than all of its other sets do, so yeah, gotta weaken or remove those. Also it can have a nice surprise factor to it.

edit: stone edge could also be used nut it literally only hits golbat for eh damage, but is not bad

Last edited:

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor / Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Poison Jab

I got this idea when I was looking for a Pokemon with the ability to break amoonguss/alomomola bulky cores in a similar vein to subSD Cobalion expect without the same problems with pokemon such as Doublade and Psychic Cresselia. Enter subSD Drapion! It functions very similarly to the aforementioned Cobalion set- if you find your way in against a pokemon that drapion counters, then set up a substitute on the switch to the bulky wall expecting the specially defensive set and to sleep/burn/paralyze you and proceed to set up. The main difference from Cobalion is that it sacrifices the speed in favor of the very useful dark type STAB that most of RU's walls greatly dislike. The EVs allow Drapion to avoid all possibility of 0 SpA Cresseila breaking the substitute with moonblast whilst still maintaining maximum attack. Note that jolly outspends + speed variants of most of what Adamant outspeeds as well as Jolly Tyrantrum and Adamant Hitmonlee. Use Poison Jab for fairy types only, but since it doesn't effect steels you really need to take that into account when teambuilding.

As is quite evident, this pokemon really likes steel type pokemon such as Cobalion and Mega-Steelix out of commission. Whilst a +2 Earthquake hurts, Drapion has a bit of a tougher time switching in than Cobalion (although not too much) and getting it in twice can be a bit difficult, so weakening the steel types is very helpful, especially since they oftentimes lack reliable recovery. Other pokemon that can be problematic are Quagsire, Mega pokemon that gain better resistance to knock off, rhyperior, virizion,and whimsicott/encore users. It's a very similar list to normal SD drapion. Unlike normal 252/252 SD drapion, this pokemon probably won't sweep due to the lowered speed - it functions much better as a wallbreaker, especially against bulky offense teams. You very well could run more speed as to outspeed pokemon such as Meloetta, but it is really nice to avoid having substitutes broken by Cresselia's moonblast - it's up to the user of the set.

phantom

Banned deucer.

Audino @ Audinite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Healing Wish

Really fun set I've been using. This thing is literally the perfect lure because most teams expect defensive variants with Knock Off or Dazzling Gleam only, and this throws them all for a loop. Need a way to get rid of Escavalier, Doublade, and Mega Abomasnow? Smash them with Fire Blast. Rhyperior or Mega Camerupt annoying you? Then take them out with Surf. The best part is that this thing has access to Healing Wish which just makes it all the more fun to use. It's amazingly bulky too, it can live some of the strongest attacks in RU at full health and KO back in most cases, such as Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick, Tyrantrum's Head Smash, Exploud's Boomburst, etc. Not only that, but Mega Audino also serves as a very good check to the likes of Houndoom, Spiritomb, and most special attackers. There's also the customizable aspect to this Pokemon in that it can employ some really useful moves like Thunder Wave, Hyper Voice, Knock Off, Magic Coat, and even Grass Knot/Thunderbolt. Make sure to run some Speed creep on the ladder though, I'm not gonna say how much I run b/c reasons. :^)

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Magic Coat
- Protect
- Wish

There are plenty of useful options that Mola can use for it's last move such as Toxic, Healing Wish, and other interesting moves. Me personally, I love Magic Coat. This makes common hazard and status users more scarred of facing Mola than before. Druddigon, Rhyperior, Qwilfish, and even Drapion now struggle to setup hazards or status Mola. Despite not flipping back poison to Qwilfish, Drapion, this gives Mola more survivability against them and can make some interesting mind games with both of them risking being Scald Burned. In practice, many users are caught off guard with this and question sticking with hazards or going for damage. Then they risk being burned by Scald of which Mola can then stall again with Magic Coat, switch out for Regen, or wish. This gives Alomomola a better chance against more balanced teams so it doesn't become complete status / hazard fodder. Use this in conjunction with VoltTurn teams for maximum effect and safety switches.

Last edited:
308.gif

Sub-Salac Medicham
Medicham @ Salac Berry
Ability: Telepathy Pure Power
EVs: 60 HP 252 attack 4 defense 188 speed
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Zen Headbutt
-Hi jump kick
(Drain Punch makes it a lot harder to activate Salac and Drain punch coming off of jolly Medicham is hella weak)
-Poison Jab/ Thunder punch (before you call me a noob Poison Jab allows medicham to hit Offensive Infiltrator Whimsicott, "but that doesn't exist Sweg!" TBH I didn't know what to put in this slot or you could use thunder punch to straight up OHKO Fletchinder.)

One of Medicham's many problems is it's lackluster speed, allowing to do Absolutely Nothing against Hyper offense. The item Salac Berry helps Medicham out by increasing it's speed to outspeed even +speed base 130's. Allowing it to clean offensive teams late game for the sole reason of the brute strength and speed.Substitute allows Medicham to eat it Salac with ease and believe it or not actually contributes to beating offense maybe a bit more than Salac because it protects medicham from scarfers and the dreaded Fletchinder. This set is used best with hazard stack.
WALL OF CALCS
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Druddigon: 283-334 (79.9 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 416-492 (114.6 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 390-459 (143.9 - 169.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hitmonlee: 524-620 (217.4 - 257.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Thunder Punch vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Fletchinder: 320-378 (104.9 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Whimsicott: 488-576 (186.9 - 220.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Durant: 235-277 (91.4 - 107.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 310-366 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery (not too much of a problem because rhyperior is easy to war down)
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 297-351 (82.2 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 369-435 (126.8 - 149.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

IN CONCLUSION:
It destroys HO bar stuff like accelgor (outspeeds and smacks it with a bug buzz, even in the sub Medicham is not safe) and Mespirit. Very fun set to use overall.

Saw Haydunn using a set like this on YouTube and thought it was pretty cool, not sure how viable it is though:

424.gif

Ambipom @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Fake Out
- Double Hit/Return
- Low Kick

This set is hilarious and typically annoys the piss out of opponents. King's Rock is fantastic as it gives Beat Up and Double Hit pretty good flinch chances, especially Beat Up if your whole team is alive as it will hit six times. Technician boosts each hit for Beat Up and Double Hit, letting them hit fairly hard, as well as boosting Fake Out. While Cincinno usually does stuff like this better, Beat Up and King's Rock make flinches much more frequent and annoying. Low Kick hits pesky steels and rocks. Return can be used over Double Hit as it has more accuracy and hits with about the same power, but misses out on the boosted flinch chance. Another option for this set would be to run Skill Link for an ability and run Double Slap over Double Hit and have a 41% chance to flinch, but that's only if you're feeling super cheeky and don't mind missing out on the significant power boost.

Saw Haydunn using a set like this on YouTube and thought it was pretty cool, not sure how viable it is though:

View attachment 38385
Ambipom @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Fake Out
- Double Hit/Return
- Low Kick

This set is hilarious and typically annoys the piss out of opponents. King's Rock is fantastic as it gives Beat Up and Double Hit pretty good flinch chances, especially Beat Up if your whole team is alive as it will hit six times. Technician boosts each hit for Beat Up and Double Hit, letting them hit fairly hard, as well as boosting Fake Out. While Cincinno usually does stuff like this better, Beat Up and King's Rock make flinches much more frequent and annoying. Low Kick hits pesky steels and rocks. Return can be used over Double Hit as it has more accuracy and hits with about the same power, but misses out on the boosted flinch chance. Another option for this set would be to run Skill Link for an ability and run Double Slap over Double Hit and have a 41% chance to flinch, but that's only if you're feeling super cheeky and don't mind missing out on the significant power boost.
Ambipom is not relevant in the RU tier, posting a creative Ambipom set is like listing a creative delibird set...

phantom

Banned deucer.
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Super Fang
- Toxic

Mega Glalie's counters, for the most part, fit into two categories: Fat Steels and Bulky Waters. Mega Glalie can get around fat Steels pretty easily with Super Fang, but it just can't do anything to stop Slowking, Cresselia, Jellicent, and Alomomola from walling it all day. This is where Toxic comes in. Toxic lets Mega Glalie cripple those very same Pokemon. It isn't enough so that Glalie can beat them on its own, but it usually forces them to spend a turn recovering such that your opponent is forced to lose momentum whenever they come in on a Super Fang when Poisoned. It's a gradual way for Glalie to cripple its own checks in order to pave the way for another Pokemon's sweep that shares similar checks. Super Fang isn't required on this set though. Spikes, Freeze-Dry, Explosion, and Ice Shard are good options over it on certain builds for sure. I've even experimented with Substitute over Super Fang to really give Alomomola the finger. Mega Glalie's main role is to break open/weaken defensive cores, no point in investing in this kind of Pokemon when it lets certain walls swap in for free!

gonna dump a few sets i like here b.c i guess that's what this is here for, yeah?

Drapion @ Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail
- Poison Jab

Too few Drapion make use of the wonderful utility that is Pursuit, which is stupid; this Pokemon has the capacity to serve very similarly to Houndoom in this effect, trading further offensive potency for SR neutrality, Toxic Spikes absorption, and moderate defensive utility (read: it doesn't drop to a decently strong attack after sr). This is a set that does, neat! A Drapion variation that doesn't hit like an atrophied child initially is a neat plus as well; being able to 2HKO Pokemon like Cobalion and Qwilfish (with Earthquake, of course) as they come in is quite nice, which furthers the value of the set. Nice for facilitating sweeps for a reasonable sum of offensive Pokemon, as all too many 'mons appreciate the chip this can force unto things like Cress, Doublade, Qwilfish, Cobalion, etc.

Tyrantrum @ Stone Plate / Mental Herb
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

I'm of the opinion that DD Tyrantrum is a terrible set; it's a mediocre performer both v.offense (wherein it cannot sweep at +1, and you won't realistically find the window to boost twice) and defensive / balanced team (who generally retain defensive and offensive checks to it, assuming for a reasonable defensive core + not terrible Scarf 'mon), only actually having value v.certain Dugtrio balance builds, wherein the +1 on both Atk and Spe has value for pushing through the core and not getting trapped and picked off in turn. Rock Polish, on the other hand, actively threatens offense, since it outpaces most all conventional Scarf users (who generally sat at 317 Spe, or 465 w/Scarf boosts, be it +Spe Base 95's or Adamant Durant), and really takes advantage of the limited pool of Rock resists to be had of offense nowadays. Stone Plate is the item I feel holds the most consistent value here, as between avoiding LO recoil (can bluff choice in the mid-game to establish windows for set-up late-game, keeps it out of priority range better) and netting a nice handful of KO's, it simply gets the most out of the item slot, but being able to set up in the face of a backrowed Whimsicott is also really cool rn, making Mental Herb and item to consider for it and a fair chunk of alternative sweepers.

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 204 Atk / 152 SpA / 152 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Fire Blast / Hidden Power Grass

Skuntank has a moderate amount of value in this metagame almost 'for lack of better' alternative, in that it compresses a psychic check, tspike absorber, and source of hazard removal, but its in ability to apply pressure to conventional hazard setters always peeved me, since they can usually just switch right into it to lay them once more. A more offensive variation remedies this to an extent, allowing it to bear into those neutral targets that much better (Camerupt, Qwilfish- and Garbodor-ish) and threaten others with the appropriate coverage; Fire Blast 2HKO's M-'Lix and Cobalion, in addition to applying some actual pressure on 'mons like Whimsicott and Tangrowth, whereas HP Grass targets Rhyperior and Seismitoad (who, while perhaps less common right now, I feel has about as much value as Rhyperior atm, at least as an SR user).

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 112 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Toxic / Aqua Tail

Drudd is cool, and should see more use; 'Lix is quite good in this metagame, yes, and that by extension somewhat hurts this Pokemon, but it does retain a lump sum of utility via its typing and good bulk. This isn't so much so a huge deviation from anything, as it's basically just my variation on the standard SR set, but it's 'underrated' I suppose, and I think this particular take on it is better rn. A major distinction here is the use of Sheer Force > Rough Skin, which mostly serves as a means to enable the use of a more substantial SpDef investment, whilst maintaing the OHKO on Escavalier from full, Offensive Whimsicott after SR, etc. etc. Toxic and Aqua Tail is also feel have much more broad and useful applications than Sucker Punch, which is a lame move on any non-LO set :l

Emboar @ Custap Berry
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sucker Punch / Taunt

s.o bkc. Another rather minor variation on a fairly standard set, but I don't like Life Orb, Expert Belt, nor any other, more 'conventional' item choice much at all here; Choice Band is feasible in its own right, but Life Orb ends up burning this 'mon out far too quickly for it to be efficient in its role, and EBelt [in application] only serves to 2HKO Rhyperior from full with consistency (which is hardly a huge thing any more, what with it no longer being some kind of be-all, end-all SR user for balance) and maybe a few other rather obscure bits. As odd of an item as it is, Emboar is a rather proficient user of Custap Berry; hazard chip and recoil allows it to decently micro-manage its way into range if the player makes note of this, and so many common attacks, such as Durant's Superpower and Cobalion's Close Combat can bring it into this range after an SR switch-in or what have you. This is the type of set you need to play rather carefully to have it work well, but it can bait and pop off so many things, be them offense (via Custap activation itself) or defensive (via feigning a Scarf set, which this also does rather well if you play it as such), all while performing the usual Emboar-esque roles. Sucker Punch is neat, as it always is, but I have taken a bit to Taunt in this slot, since it can disrupt things like Qwilfish, Garbodor, Cresselia, and so forth in a pinch, which is very rarely a bad thing for offense.

edit: reminded of one i like a bunch

Torterra @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 152 HP / 160 Atk / 28 Def / 12 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Really, really good rn: very capable tank with the capacity to wall-break very well, lacking common responses in the tier. This is amongst the best switch-ins to M-'Lix that retains offensive presence (Heavy Slam from offensive variants do 32% max), and can similarly tank things like Tyrantrum, Doublade, and so forth quite nicely. Boosts into a myriad of defensive Pokemon rather comfortably, including the option of turning basic support Cresselia into free turns, and generally benefits greatly from the restricted pool of self-sustaining Flying-types within the tier rn. Some might argue that it competes for a slot with Aboma, and it does to some extent, but SR neutrality, the ability to utilize an alternative Mega (this pairs off fairly nicely w/Glalie, can go decently with HW Audino, etc.), and absorb Volt Switch all offers this a substantial niche. Only majorly irksome negative is that it's free turns for Tangrowth, and I consider offensive 'Growth to be very solid rn. Oh, and it doesn't beat Whimsicott, which is meh for a sweeper, but there are ways around this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)