RU is Hangin' by a Thread! (Balanced RU)

Introduction

Hey everyone! Yaysnivy34 is back and this time I'm trying out some of the lower tiers. I have finally found a comfortable home in RU! After tons of trial and error, I have come up with a team that works amazingly well, despite having to overcome a massive Fire weakness. For some reason, my teams seem to have weaknesses to Fire (see my OU RMT, Perfected Steel). Oh well. I guess I just love me some Bug, Grass, and Steel types! :D I have peaked a rating of 1152, and I have only been testing for about a week! ALL rates are appreciated and I hope you enjoy my RU RMT!

Team at a Glance

A Closer Look

Aerodactyl-Pressure
252 Att./ 4 Def./ 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly Item: Focus Sash
Stealth Rock
Taunt
Stone Edge
Earthquake​

In my opinion, Aerodactyl is the best Pokemon to drop down from UU, with the possible exception of Spiritomb. It is just so good at what it does, whether it is laying down Rocks, or plowing through teams with Hone Claws or Choice Band. This is exactly a carbon-copy of the classic 4th gen Lead set. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Leads are no good this gen with Team Preview! You should change this to..." blah blah blah. Trust me, this Aerodactyl punches massive holes, both with Taunt, Rocks, and the superb EdgeQuake combo. Nobody sees a classic set like this coming. Aerodactyl is so fast, it can incapacitate Pokemon like Scolipede or Roselia with Taunt, get Rocks up, and kill the opponent before before the opponent can even breathe. I love to use Focus Sash because I can almost always get Stealth Rock and Taunt in and totally piss off my opponent. As a bonus, he can usually beat most Spinners except for Claydol.

Sawsbuck-Sap Sipper
4 HP/ 252 Att./ 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly Item: Life Orb
Swords Dance
Horn Leech
Frustration
Nature Power​

Oh my god this thing is beast. It is so underrated, but it is so damn good. It frustrates people so much it's not even funny. For example, say Quagsire is in and my opponent sends in something like Tangrowth thinking "lol gg" and clicks Giga Drain or Power Whip, but then starts cussing insanely at the computer when I bring out Sawsbuck. It is quite possibly my favorite rage inducer. Swords Dance is the crux of the set, as I won't always be able to steal my opponents Grass type thunder. Horn Leech is my favorite move on this set because I love that I can heal off the Life Orb recoil. Frustration hits every type except Rock and Steel for neutral damage. Nature Power turns into Earthquake on Pokemon Online, which rounds out my coverage.

Quagsire-Unaware
252 HP/ 252 Def./ 4 Sp. Def.
Nature: Relaxed Item: Leftovers
Scald
Recover
Toxic
Stockpile​

How the hell is this thing still NU? I have used this exact set in UU and OU to great success while simultaneously annoying my opponent (which, as you should probably realize by now, I love to do). Before this guy was on my team, I used Lanturn as my bulky water, but the fact that boosters such as Swords Dance Feraligatr and Bulk Up Gallade murdered my team made me want to revitalize this set to do the trick. I am constantly criticized for not having Earthquake, but I just don't need it. Scald and Toxic provide a sort of "double status" strategy, as well as getting STAB on Scald. Recover is a must on any Quagsire set for dat instant recovery. Stockpile however, is probably the most unorthodox move on the set. Quag's low Sp. Def. was bothering me, so I decided to use Stockpile to turn Quagsire into an unbreakable wall.

Hirmonchan-Iron Fist
40 HP/252 Att./216 Speed
Nature: Adamant: Item: Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Foresight
Mach Punch
Ice Punch

After playtesting a little while and a few suggestions, I noticed two things really hurt me: MixPedo and Toxic Spikes. So I decided to replace Golurk with a Priority using spinner, Hitmonchan, and I haven't looked back. It's current rating is well deserved, as it can beat a lot of Ghost types with Foresight. Possibly my favorite thing about this set that Foresight+Mach Punch on Spiritomb is usually a 2HKO. However, I'm concerned that Mach Punch is too weak and Drain Punch would be a better option, however sense my team has massive problems with MixPedo, I can't afford to lose it. Ice Punch is for coverage and Gligar. If anyone has suggestions with the set, please let me know!

252 Sp. Att./ 4 Sp. Def./252 Speed
Nature: Timid Item: Life Orb
Bug Buzz
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Rock
Giga Drain​

I originally had Choice Scarf Typhlosion in this slot, as it is my favorite Scarfer, but I found the inability to switch moves bothered me. I wanted a Pokemon who could dish out damage as well as be incredibly fast. This was the Pokemon I chose. With an astounding 145 Base Speed, it was the perfect Pokemon. And the best part? Most people think that Accelgor always runs the popular Spikes+Final Gambit set, so when they bring in something like Poliwrath, expecting Bug Buzz and Focus Blast, it's quite funny to see them ragequit when Giga Drain KO's them. Hidden Power Rock is to hit Bug, Fire, and Flying Pokemon and a Timid nature is used to outspeed some Scarfers.

Lilligant-Chlorophyll
4 HP/252 Sp. Att,/ 252 Speed
Nature: Timid Item: Life Orb
Quiver Dance
Sleep Powder
Giga Drain
Hidden Power Rock

Here she is. The best Quiver Dancer in RU. We all know how devastating Lilligant can be, due to her previous Suspect status. Her movepool maybe shallow in the offensive department, but it has just enough to pull of this amazing set. This is how it works: I bring Lilligant on something that can't threaten her, use Sleep Powder, and start setting up. As a bonus, not only can I get 1 Quiver Dance, but 2 or 3 if my opponent stays. Giga Drain is chosen over Petal Dance for reliablity and healing of Life Orb recoil (similar to Sawsbuck and Accelgor). Hidden Power Rock is used over Fire because there are so much more Flying and Fire types in RU than Grass and Steel.

Closing Comments
Thank you to all of you who bothered to read my RMT and took the time to read it. Currently, my biggest issues are Bouffalant and powerful attackers such as Swords Dance Feraligatr, Bulk Up Gallade, and Nasty Plot+Trick Room Cofagrigus. I would really like to take this team to the next level and all rates are appreciated! Thanks again!

Changes will be in Purple

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
I highly suggest putting hp rock over hp fire on lilligant. There are alot more flying/fire types then there are steel/grass types. Most grass types are pretty specially defensive weak so +1 giga drain can still do about 40%. You also seem to have a pretty big mixpedo weakness as mixpedo ohkoes every member besides lilligant and quagsire which is still a 2hko. So maybe adding a hitmonchan or CB Entei somewhere could be helpful. Maybe adding CB Entei over accelgor would be beneficial because it allows to net the ko with espeed against pedo while also giving you a much neede fire presence to deal with ferroseeds. This allows you to put hp rock over hp fire on lilligant. Overall it looks like a pretty solid team.

Nice team. You're pretty much at exactly the same level as me in RU as I've played for about a week and peaked at 1180 so far. I would say your team definetely needs a spinner. Toxic spikes kill this team (as well as a lot of other teams) and stop any form of stalling as quagsire is put on a timer when hit by toxic. I would suggest a spinner over golurk, like specially defensive hitmonchan with foresight.

Also, what you said about aerodactyl being unexpected is very untrue. It is THE most common set on aerodactyl and pretty much the only thing aerodactyl runs as a lead. All scolipede will rock slide him without a second thought. There are better leads IMO but if he works, that's fine.

Thanks for all the rates!

@Double01 I'll try the idea out for Lilligant. Personally, I have a ton of trouble with Ferroseed and Roselia, but I'll definitely try it out. I do have a weakness to MixPedo (however, all the ones I've seen are purely physical!) so do you think I could switch Golurk for Hitmonchan? I'd really like to keep Accelgor, so if that doesn't work, please tell me!

@spuds4ever Thanks for the rate. I will definitely give Hitmonchan a spin. I absolutely hate Toxic Spikes, so that is a huge help.

And actually, the only Aerodactyl I've seen are 3 Attack Life Orb with Stealth Rock or Hone Claws!

Thank everyone for the rates! I'll begin testing with Hitmonchan as soon as possible.

@spuds4ever Thanks for the rate. I will definitely give Hitmonchan a spin. I absolutely hate Toxic Spikes, so that is a huge help.

And actually, the only Aerodactyl I've seen are 3 Attack Life Orb with Stealth Rock or Hone Claws!

Thank everyone for the rates! I'll begin testing with Hitmonchan as soon as possible.
Really? Ok, I guess it's different for everyone. Anyway, I wouldn't be expecting to be taking your opponent by surprise with that set.

Okay, so I added Hitmonchan and my team is doing great! However I have huge problems with Bouffalant and Swords Dance Feraligatr (once Quagsire is down). Suggestions?

Bump.

Come on everyone, I need some help! I desperately need a way to effectively counter Gallade, Feraligatr, and especially Bouffalant!

Few suggestions:

Put Drain Punch instead of Mach Punch on Hitmonchan. You need to keep Hitmonchan alive so he can keep spinning, and Drain Punch will help him recover a bit of HP.

Another thing that could help your team would be putting Spikes over Giga Drain on Accelgor. You don't really need Giga Drain for bulky waters since Lilligant cans set up on most of them and Spikes will help Lilligant get more OHKOs or 2HKOs. I run Spikes + 3 attack Accelgor and I've had lots of success.

Quagsire counters Feraligatr and Gallade with Unaware. Waterfall does 32.48 - 38.57%. You might want to put EQ over Stockpile to help vs Bulk Up Gallade if it's really that much of a problem.

I'd recommend replacing Sawsbuck with Cofagrigus. Sawsbuck seems like the least useful member of the team since you already have a strong Grass Pokemon. Try this set:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Haze

Cofagrigus walls Bouffalant and WoW will help against Physical attackers. Cofagrigus will also help vs opposing Fighting types and will block Rapid Spin which is essential if you choose to run Spikes on Accelgor.

Anyways the team looks ok, good luck with it and hope I helped! :)

Thanks for the rate!

I will definitely try Drain Punch on Hitmonchan! However, I need a reliable way to get around MixPedo and Mach Punch is a reliable way to do that. But I still think Drain Punch is a better option.

About Cofagrigus, I'm not sure I'm that willing to trade Sawsbuck out. He is a reliable check against the likes of Tangrowth, Lilligant, and other Grass types, and his immunity is helpful. Plus, I haven't been that dependent on a spin-blocker when I used Golurk, because I can get Aerodactyl out pretty fast, even though he is considered a suicide lead.

I meant that once Quag is down, Feraligatr and Gallade are a problem. Sorry for the confusion. I phrased that wrong.

Thanks again for the rate! You gave me a lot to think about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)