1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RU ready to help me make top 100?

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by da gold sun, Oct 25, 2012.

1. da gold sun

da gold sun

Hi Smogon! It's been a while. I've been on and off a while, mostly lurking in the past few months, checking in on the metagames now and then to see what I've missed. I came back a few days ago to see what BW2 had brought with the English release, since the last time I played it was all Therian forms. Genesect is the only new toy, and he seems to centralize OU. So what better way to break the norm than to go to RU, where my favorite Pokemon, Sceptile, is? This post is made after getting to around 1500 on the ladder; I was encouraged to make this after losing a top-100 placement match.

[​IMG]

Sceptile has several crucial weaknesses, such as entry hazards, such as entry hazards and strong Fire/Flying attacks. Kabutops not only adds to the offensive theme I'm looking for, but also covers both of these key weaknesses Sceptile has. Now, I had two options for a good Fire type to complete the core: Entei or Moltres. Moltres provides more speed, more Grass resist, a Fighting resistance, and STAB Hurricane, so I went with him.

Now my team has 3 Life Orb users, so it's time to pack some defense. Uxie gets the ever-so-crucial Stealth Rock, which an offense-heavy team appreciates. The ability to U-Turn and Phaze (Yawn) really seemed appealing for a hazard setter and a potential lead, so Uxie joined the team. If I REALLY wanted to keep those hazards up, a spin-blocker would be necessary. Spiritomb provides a powerful Pursuit and a STAB priority move in the way of Shadow Sneak, as well as decent bulk. He would be my next choice. I now needed a Dragon, Ghost, and Dark resistance. After considering all possible steel types, Steelix seemed like the best choice for his ability to take physical hits well, and can also spread Toxic around since Uxie can set up rocks. The team is complete! For now...

[​IMG]
    Sceptile @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 60 HP / 196 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Substitute

Sceptile is the heart and soul of this team. I wouldn't be playing in RU if he weren't here. The idea of a fast, STAB Giga Drain while healing off Life Orb and Substitute damage is amazing. HP Rock has been very useful in taking down Fire types and the occasional Sigilyph. With Stealth Rock up, Sceptile can usually finish them off with one HP Rock. Focus Blast is to cover Steel types which resist both Rock and Grass, but oddly enough, I haven't seen many Steel types switch into Sceptile. It's only been useful for Drapion so far.

[​IMG]
    Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge
    - Waterfall

Rapid Spin support, resists Fire, hits like a truck. Kabutops seems like the most optimal choice for a spinner in RU. You may be wondering why I picked Aqua Jet over Swords Dance. I was never finding any opportunity to use Swords Dance, but I felt myself hurting when fast Fire types like Magmortar or Moltres were alive on the enemy team and I had nothing else to take them down. It's been really nice for picking weakened teams off too, after Stealth Rock and Spiritomb picking at them.

[​IMG]
    Moltres @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 6 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Roost

Moltres completes the FWG core that is quintessential of sub-OU tiers. Once Kabutops clears rocks, Moltres is free to tear at the enemy more so than anything else on the team. The only thing he has trouble with is bulky Ghosts and high HP Water types. Dusknoir and the coffin have been especially tricky, but that's part of why I have this next guy...

[​IMG]
    Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sucker Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Will-O-Wisp

Why BlackGlasses? It's been fun switching Spiritomb into Trick/Switcheroo to receive a Choice Band, an item that works well with this set, only to give them a worthless item. It also gives me the option to throw WoW at enemies that need to be burnt without being locked into a choice move while still retaining more STAB on Pursuit and Sucker Punch. Spiritomb is my general answer to powerful physical sweepers that have been worn down from trying to break through my other walls.

[​IMG]
    Uxie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Psychic
    - Yawn
    - U-turn

I actually don't know where I'd be without Uxie. I almost always have led with her. She's like a Deoxys-D lite; set up rocks, take a hit (or three) before going down, wearing down sweepers that can't break her, and giving my offensive core momentum with U-Turn. Stealth Rocks are so crucial for Sceptile since they hit most of his counters for 25% when they switch in. Uxie also has decent synergy with Steelix, the other phazer of the team.

[​IMG]
    Steelix @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Gyro Ball
    - Dragon Tail

Steelix is the final glue that hold the team's defensive core together. My team really isn't a fan of rock type moves, which Steelix takes like a champ. He also takes on Drapion pretty well with Spiritomb; Drapion's Earthquake doesn't even 2HKO (iirc), while I'm pretty sure Steelix can OHKO back with Earthquake, especially if rocks are up. I run Toxic because not only does Uxie already use Stealth Rock, but it nails common switch-ins like Slowking and prevents them from walling my team unless they carry Rest or Heal Bell/Aromatherapy (both are unlikely on RU teams from what I've seen).

Final team at a glance
    Basically, this team has been very successful at
    - Covering most types and Pokemon in the tierwell
    - Holding defensively until the enemy is worn down for a hyper-offensive like strategy to occur with my FWG offensive core.
    - Deals with teams of a similar nature well, especially if they rely more on defense.

This team is NOT good at...
    - Handling very polarized teams, both offensively and defensively
    - Dealing with multiple set-up sweepers
    - Setting up a sweep of its own.

So there you have it. I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions! Just remember I'm not getting rid of Sceptile, but any replacement option will be considered. Stay classy, Smogon.
  2. Oiawesome

Oiawesome

Preety Nice team But since Unburden is released I would recomend Sub Petaya Sceptile and since you have trouble with set up sweepers I would recomend Unaware Quagsire

The Sets:

Sceptile @Petaya Berry
    Trait:Unburden
    EVs:252 SpA/ 252 Spe/4Hp
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power Rock
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute

This Set abuses The unburden factor of sceptile and aims to mainly sweep and dosent need very much team support.Once your down to your berry now you have 1.5x your special attack
    2.0x your speed ,and should be ready to sweep.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    EVs: 252Hp/252SpDef/4Atk
    Adamant/Carefull Nature
    -Curse
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Recover

This Set comes in one set up sweepers like SD Kabutops and CURSES ALL DAY helping out your weakness to set up sweepers AND also sets up itself helping that factor of your team as well.
  3. da gold sun

da gold sun

Thanks for the input, Oiawesome. Sub-Petaya Sceptile has been working pretty well for me so far. I'm liking the ability to sweep mid or late game, and the lack of unnecessary Life Orb recoil has been helping the team's overall survival. I don't have room for Quagsire because every member, except for MAYBE Steelix (who still has come in handy and takes even physical super-effective hits like a champ), has been pulling their weight really well.

My main problem, as said before, has been dealing with set-up sweepers, especially Gallade. Gallade is very problematic if Moltres is gone (Hurricane is usually a OHKO). Spiritomb can burn it and hit with Shadow Sneak, but that's about it. Uxie somewhat walls it, but Gallade can also set up on the set I'm using. The best Uxie can do is phaze it with Yawn unless its the last Pokemon they have. Unless I can make some switches, even within the movesets, chances are I'll continue having a hard time with this problem. I've been winning against Gallade (currently in the high 1500's) so far, but I can see it being problem in the future when I start facing tougher opponents.
  4. Oiawesome

Oiawesome

Glad to know the sceptiles working out for you but I guess Honestly if gallade is big when moltres is down use a more sturdy set like Offensive SubRoost Moltres or you could put Quag over Spiritomb as I dont see him doing much Im going to try to ladder with your team later and repport my experiance

THE SET:

Moltres @Life Orb
    EVs:252 SpA/52Hp/200Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Hurricane
    - Fire Blast/Flamethrower

EDIT:Tried this team on PO worked wonderfull SR tress got supprises and a lot of kills quag did its thing and cock blocked set up sweepers and damn just GOOD TEAM!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)