Resource RU Replays

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-260329018

This was a pretty fun battle I had on the ladder vs Arifeen. I played his Magneton like a fiddle and got most of my preditions spot on. I feel like he should have played a bit more aggresively, especially with his Meloetta, as losing Medicham would have lost me a lot of the offensive pressure I was able to generate. Regardless, I felt like posting this battle because I dont have fun on the ladder very often. x_x

I was using a team Senpai D.M posted on the teambuilding competition thread and it's been working out pretty well for me. My biggest complaint is that I have to play very aggressively vs bulky waters as Torterra isn't a super reliable answer vs Alomomola and especially Jellicent, as Jellicent can burn Torterra reliably with wisp while effectively stalling it out and prevents Togetic from doing anything with Taunt.

Oh, and Torterra is a lord. Super solid mon.
Jeez, you read him like a book. Well played :)

Im gonna go ahead and post my thoughts to this battle (assuming you are TheN0B0DY)

Turn 1-4 went really well for you, getting the lead correct and burning the Drapion, which couldve been dangerous for your team. Also getting rocks with Steelix was great, so you are in a really favourable position rn.

In turn 5 i dont agree with setting the first layer of spikes, since the swtich into bronzong was fairly obvious (and this would mean rocks for your opponent). Defensive Trevenant cant really touch Roselia except with shadow claw. The double switch into Houndoom would have been better, since you would get off a free dark pulse either way.
It worked out for you because your opp didnt decide to go for rocks, missing fb and losing Houndoom in the following turns was unfortunate, but you cant do anything about that (i wouldve gone for dark pule vs zong expecting gastrodon, but w/e)

Turn 8 you shouldve taunted, not only for the Toxic, but also to prevent the potential rocks.

In turn 11 your opponent made a nice double switch with gastro, forcing you to go to Jelli. Your primary switchin would be Rose, but going Jelli was certainly possible in this situation. However, switching into top after the spd drop was a misplay, you shouldve gone into rose there. Now top is (unnecessarily) weakened although you could use it for spinning and checking tyrantrum.

Attacking Trev with heavy slam in turn 21 was a horrible play because you really need steelix for tyrantrum (as top is weakened and cannot switch into it anymore). Even worse, you completely sacrifice it to Trev even though switching into Rose was a 100% safe play.

In turn 30 you decide to spin vs Tyrantrum, and that was yet again a misplay imo. Just killing with cc was the better play because now your opp just has to click head smash to win the game later. Otherwise you just still had chances to win with Jelli if you got a brun on Eel.
Then again, your opponent chokes and clicks outrage vs fletch for whatever reason, allowing you to clean up with it.

Both your opponent and you made some misplays, but turn 21-24 was your biggest mistake. Your team was really solid however, so once you know what to do in certain stuations you will improve a lot on the ladder and in general.

Im gonna go ahead and post my thoughts to this battle (assuming you are TheN0B0DY)

Turn 1-4 went really well for you, getting the lead correct and burning the Drapion, which couldve been dangerous for your team. Also getting rocks with Steelix was great, so you are in a really favourable position rn.

In turn 5 i dont agree with setting the first layer of spikes, since the swtich into bronzong was fairly obvious (and this would mean rocks for your opponent). Defensive Trevenant cant really touch Roselia except with shadow claw. The double switch into Houndoom would have been better, since you would get off a free dark pulse either way.
It worked out for you because your opp didnt decide to go for rocks, missing fb and losing Houndoom in the following turns was unfortunate, but you cant do anything about that (i wouldve gone for dark pule vs zong expecting gastrodon, but w/e)

Turn 8 you shouldve taunted, not only for the Toxic, but also to prevent the potential rocks.

In turn 11 your opponent made a nice double switch with gastro, forcing you to go to Jelli. Your primary switchin would be Rose, but going Jelli was certainly possible in this situation. However, switching into top after the spd drop was a misplay, you shouldve gone into rose there. Now top is (unnecessarily) weakened although you could use it for spinning and checking tyrantrum.

Attacking Trev with heavy slam in turn 21 was a horrible play because you really need steelix for tyrantrum (as top is weakened and cannot switch into it anymore). Even worse, you completely sacrifice it to Trev even though switching into Rose was a 100% safe play.

In turn 30 you decide to spin vs Tyrantrum, and that was yet again a misplay imo. Just killing with cc was the better play because now your opp just has to click head smash to win the game later. Otherwise you just still had chances to win with Jelli if you got a brun on Eel.
Then again, your opponent chokes and clicks outrage vs fletch for whatever reason, allowing you to clean up with it.

Both your opponent and you made some misplays, but turn 21-24 was your biggest mistake. Your team was really solid however, so once you know what to do in certain stuations you will improve a lot on the ladder and in general.
Ufff thank you very much pal, definitely gonna take this plays in mind, I thought gastrodon's earth power could hurt roselia, thanks again man.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-291156083 - so apparently my rust wasn't too awful bad. Had a lot of fun by getting Jolteon to force some plays with my opponent's tanks to help Flygon in the endgame. Getting early Spikes with Accelgor was also really useful for me. Also, thank goodness Sigilyph didn't have Energy Ball or else I wouldn't have been able to take a risk with prediction early-game.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-299178746 - had a pretty fun battle against Double01 that I wanted to showcase as it kind of shows off some higher level predictions / switches and some underrated mons / sets.
Early-game: Neither one of us really commits to too much, but this also shows that you can be aggressive without risking a lot. Both of us do this a couple of times, but make sure that it's in a way that the other can't take advantage of it and win the game early. This is kind of common in higher level play when both opponents know that the other player is skilled enough to quickly capitalize even on slight mistakes. There is a highly unfortunate bit of hax that happens early as well, which ends up turning the tide of battle later.
Mid-game: As we progress to the middle stages of the game, I'm able to identify Flygon as my best chance to win this game. However, I do take note of the fact that d01 doesn't really actively send in Houndoom that much, which makes me believe it's a Choice Scarf variant. This means I know I have to save Flygon at all costs. Once I force Escavalier to take damage from Abomasnow, I know I can click Outrage and get some kills late-game. At the same time, I realize that Houndoom is his likely win condition, so I know I need to save Hariyama just in case I'm forced to Outrage early with Flygon and it backfires. In turn, d01 does a good job of saving his Sigilyph throughout the middle stages of the match, knowing that it will force my wincon to use a riskier STAB move to reliably clean and it also completely destroys my defensive answer to Houndoom that I'm saving up.
End game: Well, watch for yourself to see who won!

Underrated Sets: Assault Vest Hariyama (me) - AV Hariyama is a fantastic check to virtually all Fire-types in the tier aside from Delphox. With some Defense investment, it also becomes a very reliable answer to Mega Glalie and (Mega) Abomasnow as well. It's a virtual hard counter to any Houndoom set, as shown in this battle.
Physically Defensive Torterra (d01) - PhysDef Torterra may not be as good as the offensive tank variation, but it straight up hard counters Mega Steelix, Rhyperior (unless Ice Punch) and can at least check every physical attacker in the tier incapable of hitting it for super effective damage. It does struggle a lot with Fire-types and won't do nearly as much to targets neutral to its STABs, but its viability is shown here in taking literally nothing from the standard Mega Steelix Heavy Slam and it kept me from doing a whole lot with Scarf Flygon early and mid game.
SubNP Houndoom (d01) - Tbh, this is the first time I've seen this set used by anyone, and it's kind of scary late-game. Base 95 Speed is amazing with Salac Berry and if this gets off a Nasty Plot, you're done without a defensive response. I thankfully had Hariyama to hold it off long enough, but that doesn't make it any less scary if you lack a resistance to both STABs.
Regular Abomasnow (me) - Normal Abomasnow is really underrated. In this battle, it does a very good job of wearing down the primary resistance to Choice Scarf Flygon and it is able to to this for just about any late-game sweeper / cleaner that has issues getting through bulky Steel-types. The higher base Speed ensured that Abomasnow was able to get off the extra hit on Escavalier before going down, meaning even Outrage would have finished off Escavalier if it came to that.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)