RU Research Week #12 - Stoutland, Misdreavus, Swanna, Basculin

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Some rules and stuff stolen from Honko :toast:

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
The main point of this is to see how some lesser seen RU pokemon fare in the current metagame. Each research week will actually be 2 one week long stages. In the first stage, you are free to theorymon about the pokemon chosen for Research week and talk about what roles / niches they fill and how they fare in the metagame. The second week, feel free to post logs showcasing how the pokemon fared in standard play and talk about how they did in comparison to expectations etc. This extends to IRC, where you can talk about the pokemon / sets you used in either #rarelyused or #pokemon!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here or send me a PM with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
This Week's Research Pokemon:

|
|
|

CHALLENGES

• Create and test a set that uses Intimidate. Explain why Intimidate is the superior option on this set.​
  • Create and test a set that uses Stoutland's Sand Rush ability. List potential partners to set up Sandstorm​
  • Create and test a Misdreavus set that effectively utilizes a stat upping move​
  • Create and test a Misdreavus set that effectively utilizes Taunt to aid it in spin blocking​
  • Create and test a set that effectively utilizes Hydration Rain Dance. List some good partners for this set.​
  • Create an all out attacking Swanna set. Explain what niche it has in the metagame as a Special Attacker.​
  • Create and test an offensive Basculin set that effectively utilizes Adapability​
Lastly, remember that these are not the only sets you can test during research week! Feel free to be even more creative than the challenges, and in general just discuss the pokemon!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm definitely interested in testing out Basculin and Stoutland :d

Starting with Basculin first as Super Rod

ss234

bop.
I've already been using Swanna, so I might as well be in but I'm not laddering, just trying Swanna out.

More people should join in on Research Week! The chosen Pokemon are actually really good and have lots of potential in the metagame. I know that me and many fellow RU players have discovered some great, viable threats from Research Week such as Swellow, Cacturne, and Seismitoad. This week though I think that the biggest new threat would have to be Basculin.

Basculin's best aspect, in my opinion, would have to be its Speed. It has base 98 Speed, which means that it can outspeed Sigilyph and everything below! It's base 92 Attack is only average, but Adaptability somewhat makes up for it imo. Waterfall hits a lot of things pretty hard, and Aqua Jet is one of the best priority moves in the metagame right now. Here's the set I've been using:

Basculin (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Superpower

Waterfall is self-explanatory; it is Basculin's strongest move and hits things like Moltres and Nidoqueen super effectively. Aqua Jet is great for facing faster foes and picking of weakened opponents such as Unburden Hitmonlee, Archeops, and Aerodactyl. Crunch is really effective not only because it hits Psychic-types such as Slowking (it 2HKOes after Stealth Rock), but also because most people don't know that Basculin outspeeds Sigilyph so you can get a surprise KO on it xD. I use Superpower to handle Ferroseed, Normal-types such as Clefable, and Kabutops, but you can also use Ice Beam with a neutral SpA nature for Tangrowth. Overall, I think that Basculin is a really good Pokemon and more people should use it!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
YERE, success with Basculin.

Basculin @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Waterfall
~ Aqua Jet
~ Crunch
~ Superpower

I initially started with this set - I figured that with Adaptability providing it a stronger Waterfall than Kabutops, then I can simply spam CB boosted Waterfalls or Aqua Jets on my Rain team. This was not the case, however - it still gets walled hard by Water resists. Banded Waterfall was powerful, but not powerful enough. I had SD Kabutops, too, and it sucked that Tangrowth would simply render both of these mons useless.

After talking to DittoCrow and hearing his praise of his LO Basculin, I decided to give it a spin, with a bit of a tweak to better serve my team.

Basculin @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
~ Waterfall
~ Aqua Jet
~ Ice Beam
~ Crunch

LO Mixed Basculin definitely worked better. Although the brute force of its Rain-boosted Adapt Waterfall has been reduced, the flexibility in switching moves has proven far more useful. Being able to switch from Waterfall to Aqua Jet to finish off a fast prey after a kill is really pimpin. With this set, breaking walls has been much easier, as Basculin can now lure and 2HKO Tangrowth with Ice Beam, paving a path for SD Kabutops. The combination of Adaptability's immediate raw power combined with its deceptively fast 98 base Speed have made Basculin one mighty beast.

It does have its flaws, though. Unlike Kabutops and Feraligatr, its paltry bulk limits its switch-in opportunities. Even more vexing for me, was the inability to boost its Atk - sure its hitting slightly harder than Adamant Kabutops with Adaptability, but that's not enough in many cases. In this respect, Crawdaunt beats Basculin as an Adaptability Water-type. It's a shame that Basculin is forced to go Jolly to outrun Sigilyph, because Adamant's extra Atk boost would be very much welcome.

Note that I didn't go Max Speed, since I only wanted to outspeed Sigilyph.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Awesome posts Pocket and DittoCrow!

What about Swanna and the other RW mons? Has anyone had any success using them?

Really nice set Pocket!.
Find it awesome how well you laddered with him.

Makes me want to try RU now =), going to to try and put a team together, hopefully can participate in future research weeks.

Look forward to seeing what other sets people come up with.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I switched from Stout to Swanna, but didn't get any ladder achievements ^^

Swanna @ Life Orb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Surf
- Brave Bird
- Hurricane
- Roost

Swanna has a unique niche in RU with a base 98 Speed, which is tied with Basculin and nearly outspeeds Sigilyph by one base point. This set is best used on a Rain Dance where there is an extended period of rain. Hurricane has perfect accuracy in the rain, and Surf is stronger in the rain. Brave Bird serves an another STAB option against opponents that has a higher Special Defense than Defense like Croygonal. Roost serves to heal off Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. With Hydration, Swanna can come in on a Status move, so it can almost switch into Grass-type with impunity, as Sleep Powder is neutralized in Rain.

The EVs are to outspeed Sigilyph, and the rest goes into Attack.

Also, on a weather-less team Swanna is a good offensive check to Moltres, as it outspeeds it and KOs it with Surf.

On Rain teams, they have a general hard time with Grass-types, and Swanna decimates them with Brave Bird or Hurricane. Also, as Swanna can switch directly into Grass-type, fearing almost nothing. For example, it can come in on Tangrowth's Sleep powder and ko with Hurricane.

Lanturn is the best counter in existence to Swanna, as Surf and Flying-type attacks don't even touch it, and it can fry it with its Electric-type STAB. Also, its balanced defenses doesn't allow Swanna to hit a weaker defense.

EDIT:

I have some stuf' for Missy ^.^

Misdreavus @ Evolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting

Misdreavus is an excellent Pokemon, especially because it can block Rapid Spin thanks to its Ghost typing. This set is cool as many people expect Misdreavus to just burn and fire off weak attacks, well no more!

With Calm Mind, Misdreavus turns into a floating castle, as it nothing will touch it. The EVs ensure that she can take hits from the physical side, and Calm Mind makes up for the special side. Substitute is there to prevent status, namely Toxic. Shadow Ball + Hidden Power Fighting makes a nearly unresisted combination.

I find that this set doesn't last as long as the others, because of the lack of recovery. For this reason, Clefable is the best partner. Clefable can past Wishes to Misdreavus and can use Heal Bell to cure any unwanted status afflications. To make it even sweeter, Misdreavus can switch into the Fighting-type attacks aimed at Clefable, and Clefable can take the Ghost-type attacks aimed at Misdreavus.

Also, this set has trouble with Dark-type as they aren't hit hard, namely Drapion and Spiritomb, not Absol, as Absol can be taken out with Hidden Power Fighting if Misdreavus is behind a Substitute. To take care of Dark-types I like Poliwrath, as it is bulky and phaze.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)