RU sets by Nails

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So these are a bunch of sets not on the analyses I've used successfully, idk how to post this and I don't want to write them up but here goes.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Circle Throw
- Scald

Protect allows you to run toxic without giving up burns or phazing and gives free lefties/creates mind games allowing you to outplay your opponent.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This used to be standard, it's just not on the analysis. EVs outrun base 70s and hit a bonus point in attack while ~maxing hp.

Steelix @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 HP / 48 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Iron Tail

Iron Tail nukes insanely hard, crunch does 65-78 to slowking, the speed creeps past tomb so you don't get burned without taking it down.

Crustle @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

An unpredictable set to play against, you lead it and shell smash if you can scare something out and pretty much always get a layer. Against smeargle, assuming he spores, you get a shell smash boost along with sturdy still active and you ohko through sash. X-Scissor kills slowking at +2.

Aggron @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake/Heavy Slam
- Rock Polish

Way less predictable and more versatile than one or the other sets. You hit 2x eq weaks and rock neutrals (qwilfish, kabutops, drapula) harder with head smash than eq, and you're not breaking through steelix and regirock anyways. If their team has lost its fast pkmn you can be reasonably effective with a hone claws boost alone.

Sawsbuck @ Watmel Berry
Trait: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Natural Gift
- Swords Dance/Baton Pass

Natural Gift @ Watmel Berry gives an 80 bp fire move. Pretty self explanatory. You could probably drop return for something like nature power, though you have to make sure to use natural gift carefully since you only get one shot.

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Trait: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt

I'm not sure how the analysis doesn't have a LO gard set, but this is my personal favorite way to run gard. I haven't experimented much with stuff like shadow ball/focus blast over tbolt/hp fire, but you hit most psychic resists SE with electric/fire coverage. Taunt is an awesome utility move and gard is as good a place as any to fit it onto your team. Trace is obviously amazing.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

CM Slowking is the best set it can run, you can set up very easily. The EVs speed creep tomb. The 4th move is 100% team dependant, hp grass/signal beam/psyshock/ice beam can all work.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Impish Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Earthquake

Couple things about this set, knock off > leech seed in most situations since they'll switch out of leech seed and growth doesn't need healing. EQ is better than AC and deserves a slash because you hit entei so much harder when he tries to switch into sleep powder. Power whip is stronger than giga drain and as mentioned earlier, with regen and crazy bulk you don't really need healing on top of that. And the SDef EVs help for general tanking of mixed attackers, since I've generally found max defense unnecessary. A lot of times I run less defense than that, 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SDef Careful has been my standard for a while. Knock off deserves a first slash on the set, and EQ a later slash imo.

Archeops @ Flying Gem
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Acrobatics
- Head Smash
- U-turn

Lead it, you taunt the uxie so it can't lay rocks and then uturn for free momentum. Acrobatics and head smash are there for nuking stuff. A fantastic hit and run pkmn. Defeatist head smashes still hurt.

Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Protect

One of my favorites, it has so much more bulk than cb entei. With protect you can heal off SR and flare blitz damage. Toxic hits slowking (usually on the switch, but you can often catch them using a coverage move on a predicted switch), and has great synergy with protect. Overall you keep it healthier so you can get that one extra switch into SR and espeed for the game winner. Protect is so clutch.

Ok that's all I got.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for sharing a goldmine, Nails. I have a question about your Tangrowth's spread: do you mind explaining what the mixed defensive spread of Tangrowth accomplishes? (PS: oh nvm, you sorta mentioned it already)

I personally think Will-o-Wisp is worth slashing with Toxic on your Entei set. Entei can lure in Pokemon like Qwilfish, Rhydon, Kabutops, and Druddigon, and cripple them with a burn. It doesn't cripple Alomomola and Slowking as badly as toxic poison, and cant touch Moltres, but I think burning those physical mons is worth the trade-off.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Tangrowth's sdef allows you to play more recklessly and spam knock off more as you don't get torched (puns) as badly by surprise hp fires and ice beams and such. The extra defense also has diminishing effectiveness and you trade like 8% physical bulk for 22% special bulk.

Wisp is cool too, it doesn't have as much synergy with toxic (toxic is the filler move on the set, not protect) but more damage up front against certain pkmn would be really useful. I run toxic because slowking is that big a deal that I take reduced effectiveness against those other pkmn to cripple slowking harder. But wisp is definitely better on some teams.

Last edited:
umm, well idk how one goes about responding to this, but I agree with implementing most of this into the analyses '~' specifically speaking, i feel as though SD AfroBull and Smash+Hazards Crustle should be outright standard sets (slashing Sub w/Stone Edge and ACing Sub+3 attacks on Bull and outright dropping the garb "defensive" crustle for that set, since i've never seen the on-site thing used effectively ever), and the rest is deserving of at least some degree of mention in AC's of this and that (though some of the more "outlandish" stuff like offensive Steelix might need some review from QC I'd imagine '-'). Personally I was probably going to try to pick up a Crustle revamp pretty soon, since it's pretty blah and doesn't really explain what it does nowadays, but most of the rest is prolly worth handling through SCMS. Of course I'm kinda not the first person to talk to about that sorta thing, but I just thought I'd toss out some ideas to approach this. Thanks for tossing this out btw, really cool stuff overall, and I feel a little bad overlooking Natural Gift on Sawsbuck this whole time lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)