1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RU Sun Team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Immortal, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Immortal

Immortal

Hey guys so i have always played using my favorites even if they arent quite as good as some other pokemon. It can make it harder to win but it makes winning that much more rewarding and i believe i can be successful if i tweak things just right so that they all work well together. I recently started playing RU and tried a few different teams out and switched a few Pokes around and this is where it now stands. Basically the goal is to set up sun and keep it up so i start sweeping and keep sweeping. The main thing i have trouble with is keeping hazards away without being set up fodder and i also have trouble switching in safely. Right now i probably win about as much as i lose but i am always trying to improve and making not just a competetive team but a good team using pokemon i actually like has always been a goal of mine. I would appreciate any suggestions for possible replacement pokemon, Move Sets and EV spreads.
    [​IMG]

Slowking @ Heat Rock
    Ability: Regenerator
    Evs: 248 Hp 144 Def 116 SpD
    Nature: Calm
    - Psyshock
    - Slack Off
    - Sunny Day
    - Toxic

Slowking's purpose is to set up sun multiple times and provide resistance to fire and water moves. He is defensive so he can take a hit, and set up the sun. He can then use Slack off to heal or switch out to recover hp if he is facing a bad matchup. I also gave him toxic so he can wear down walls or pokemon that dont take much damage from Psyshock while i heal myself with Slack Off. I sometimes have trouble with my opponents using Slowking as set up fodder because he is not very threatening offensively. Overall he is great at keeping the sun up and tanking hits for the rest of the team. I also use Mesprit or Uxie in this role but legendaries are kind of lame so i prefer not to and the whole goal of this team was using pokes i like.

[​IMG]

Sandslash @ Leftovers/Heat Rock
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Hp 252 Def 4 SpD
    Nature: Impish
    - Earthquake
    - Sunny Day
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock/Toxic

Sandslash's purpose is mostly to support by clearing entry hazards, be a secondary Sunny Day user and to be a reliable switch in to rock type attacks. I can also give him a Heat Rock and can even use him as a lead to the sun up against someone who expects me to lead with Slowking. He has good defense so he can usually set up both Stealth Rock and sun. Unfortunately he is pretty much useless offensively and is overloaded with support moves so he becomes absolute set up fodder if i try to do so. He has solid defense however he gets KOed by almost any Special Attack.I have thought about getting rid of Stealth Rock or Rapid to free up a slot for an attack. Setting up sun, spinning and setting up Stealth Rock is alot to ask but his offense just isnt great so im not sure if adding an attack will help. Overall Im not thrilled with him but he can do some important things. Since I switched Hitmonlee to Hitmonchan i will be okay without Rapid Spin but then i got thinking i should just replace him. I have considered using Golem here to set up sun and then just use explosion to bring in a sweeper. Ive also though about putting sunny day on something like Nidoqueen. Another option is to have Hitmonchan switch Rapid Spin for Sunny Day and then using someone like weak armor Kabutops to spin despite being a sun team. Although Kabutops would lessen my ability to keep the sun up (i would want another sunny day user, i could always put it on Hitmonchan ) he could add a much more dangerous offensive threat and a priority attacker... thoughts?

[​IMG]

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Vital Spirit
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 24 Hp 252 SpA 232 Spe
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Grass
    - Focus Blast

I originally had Exeggutor in this spot but he was to reliant on the sun being up, and with two Chlorophyll users and a Solar Power user, so was my whole team. Magmortar is benefited by the sun because it increases his STAB Flamethrower but he functions pretty well without it. Basically i added him for the versatility he brings with his great offensive move pool. Unfortunately he is also Stealth Rock (why can't they just ban it) weak and takes damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Other than that he is good, he can take an Air Slash from Moltres and then KO it with Thunderbolt. Overall I have been fairly pleased with him but if swapping him out would improve my team i will do it.

[​IMG]

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Solar Power
    EVs: 4 Hp 252 SpA 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Flamethrower
    - Air slash
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power Grass

Charizards is my favorite pokemon of all time and has been since i was six. purpose is to sweep. i gave him Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast because i always seemed to miss when it mattered and i have 2 sunny Day users so i keep the sun up pretty well so it has plenty of power. Air Slash is a secondary STAB that does resonable damage to opposing fire types. Focus Blast is for those lame walls like Munchlax and Hidden Power grass hits waters hard in a bind when there is no sun. The biggest problem i have is finding a way to switch him in safely but i also have some difficulty eliminating the pokemon that resist Flamethrower. It is extremely difficult to get the conditions right for him to sweep, which means keeping Stealth Rock off the field and eliminating his counters like Slowking or Lanturn, especially against balanced teams but it is sure as hell worth it if i can.

[​IMG]

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 SpA 4 Hp 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power Rock
    - Aromatherapy

Lilligant was suggested to me by A Dude. I gave it a try and decided i really liked it but went with a slightly different set. I decided to invest in speed over Hp because even with added bulk i was taking too much damage from physical attacks so i went with the extra speed to be faster than some of the slow to average speed pokes when the sun is down. Also this set has HP Rock, in order to hit fire or flying type pokemon (or both) such as Moltres. I would give anything to be allowed to use both HP Fire and HP Rock at the same time but unfortunately i cant. Luckily i have two fire types on my team but balance once again gives me trouble because they will almost always have something that checks me (like having Moltres and Rotom Mow) I really can't think of a viable move to cover all my counters which unfortunately due to having a Grass type stab there are too many of. Other than this Lilligant is amazing, its really easy to set up for a sweep and damn hard to stop unless they have the perfect counter as i mentioned above. Although sun helps her set up, once i use Quiver Dance once or twice i really don't need the sun to stay up to keep my sweep going which is a huge asset.

[​IMG]

Hitmonchan @ Black Belt
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: 40 Hp 252 Atk 216 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Rapid Spin/Sunny Day

I originally had Hitmonlee here but it was hard to find an oppertunity to switch him in to battle. Since Charizard is already somewhat difficult to switch in i decided to go with Hitmonchan in this spot because he doesnt rely on unburden, has better defense and can either spin or set up sun. He also has priority which is very useful. Besides that he provides me with a key Rock type resistance and unlike Hitmonlee, although he is no tank, Hitmonchan actually has the defensive stats to take a hit.

I dont have a true threat list but the things i have had the most trouble with are bulky well balanced teams because they have a decent switch in to basically anything i throw at them and can use status or hazards to wear me down and force switches. Unfortunately Slowking and Sandslash are not at all offensive so even if they tank a hit for us they arent able to do much which gives my opponet the oppurtunity to stall out sun, set up or just keep me from switching something effective in.

Trick Room teams although rare can give me some trouble. This is a pretty common problem for sun teams due to the amount of speedy pokemon on them when the sun is up. Trick Room teams usually hit pretty hard and it is a problem when they get to attack first basically every time because my team is not very bulky. However my solution was to put pokemon with great coverage on my team hit common Trick Room users such as Slowking and i was able to beat the last Trick Room team i battled.

Also Rain teams can be a problem besides rain + water types being a horrible match up Rotom Mow is often featured on them checks Lilligant extremely well since i have HP rock to hit fire types. I gave Lilligant Aeromatherapy to deal with Thunder Wave however Rotoms who carry HP Fire are extremely hard for Lilligant to beat unless i somehow get like 3 Quiver Dances in. If Lilligant is gone then I am in big trouble without a good way to stop the water types so when my opponent plays skillfully i have to sacrifice Pokes to keep it alive and slowly lose.

I know its gonna be tough to build a successful team that is limited to using Pokemon i like but i like a good challenge and hope you guys do too! Any suggestions no matter how small would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. Alfalfa

Alfalfa

With access to Regenerator, I think that Audino > Exeggutor can be of use. Audino can not only provide Sun, but can clear your team of status. You could try Fire Blast on Audino because there is sun, but damage calculations still show that Fire Blast has low power on Audino even in sun.

However, such removes a key water resistance, and I am aware of that. I therefore recommend Lilligant > Charizard/Magmortar. Lilligant is quite one pain in the neck to deal with in the sun.

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Audino @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Sunny Day
    - Heal Bell
    - Thunder Wave / Toxic
    - Wish

[​IMG]
    Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Spd / 252 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Giga Drain / Solarbeam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Synthesis / Sunny Day

Note: Lilligant is already blazing fast in sun, and can outrun most of the tier after one boost. Therefore, I invested EVs in bulk so Lilligant is even harder to kill.
  3. Immortal

Immortal

Okay thank you! Audino seems alot like Slowking and i would probably use one or the other of those two. I like that Lilligant is a grass type only and has a really nice boosting move in Quiver Dance. Exeggutor's typing makes me vulnerable against ghosts when i use Hitmonlee over Electivire and it cant boost its stats. I will give them a try, thanks for replying!
  4. Immortal

Immortal

Bump, i switched out a few members and would like some input on whether or not to switch out a few more and could use some more replies overall.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)