RU Team Rating Tournament - Finals [Won by all falls down]

Status
Not open for further replies.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Lax
Approved by IronBullet and Jirachee
OP taken from IronBullet

Hosts: Arifeen, fran17, 49, atomicllamas, FlamingVictini

Welcome to RMT's first RU Team Rating Tournament! In this tournament, we will provide each of you with a team to rate every round. You will then rate the given team and submit it to the Team Raters you are assigned. When the round is over, the participants who submitted the best rates will move on to the next round.

Important notes:
  • Signups will be first come first serve. We're probably looking at a 16-man tournament, maybe more depending on how many people sign up.
  • The rates in the final two rounds will count towards the Team Rater
  • The winner will be awarded voice status in the RMT room on PS if they have shown an interest in getting involved (If you are currently an active voice and win, you may be promoted to driver).
  • Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month.
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate and how you can improve going forward, feel free to ask us.
Participants please PM your rate to Andromeda. You have until 23:59 EST on to Tuesday, 12th July submit your rate.

Good luck everyone!

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's the team for finals, good luck to everyone!

Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost

I started off with Braviary, it is a great setup sweeper that takes advantage of bulkier builds and can be very threatening. It's the standard Substitute + Bulk Up set, with Speed EVs allowing me to creep other Braviary, as hitting 237 is the optimal one. Investing the rest in HP and SpD also makes Braviary very specially bulky and can act as a check for a lot of special attackers.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute

I added Dugtrio as a partner because it can take down Magneton, which is one of Braviary's best counters. Dugtrio also traps Rock- and Steel-types for Braviary, allowing it to have more breathing space when facing these Pokemon, as it will not be forced to use Substitute. Earthquake and Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combo, while Aerial Ace is very nifty as it hits Virizion. Substitute was added in order to check Sucker Punch users such as Absol and Emboar.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

At this point I realized I'm very weak to Mega Glalie and Ice spam in general, as well as Venusaur. Therefore Registeel was added to check all these Pokemon. As the team is relatively fast, dropping Thunder Wave for Protect is a better idea, which also allows the team to scout choice locked Pokemon and gain crucial Leftovers recovery. All other moves and EV spreads are fairly standard.

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Slowking was added in order to check Fighting-types, especially Emboar and Medicham, and act as a secondary win con. With Colbur Berry, Slowking can have more breathing space versus Sneasel, Houndoom, and Gurdurr, while the rest of the moves are standard. The EV spread are used so Slowking outspeeds Rhyperior which can use Megahorn on Slowking.

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Toxic Spikes

Psychic-types were a huge problem to the team and so Scarf Drapion was added. Drapion also checked Virizion so I don't have to instantly lose to it if Dugtrio falls. Toxic Spikes are added to pressure the opponent, and Braviary appreciates Toxic Spikes quite a lot. The Speed EVs are to outspeed Accelgor with Choice Scarf, while still retaining a bit of HP. Drapion has Adamant nature because it doesn't outspeed anything significant with Jolly nature.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Finally, Calm Mind Virizion was added in order to act as a solid Water-type switch in, and a wallbreaker. Virizion can also lure Pokemon that check the physically defensive variant. The EVs are standard, and Life Orb is used to ensure Virizion hits hard as possible. I added Substitute so it can have a much easier time setting up on bulkier Pokemon, which can threaten stallier builds even more.

feen

control
Here are the long awaited results for the finals! First of all I apologize for delaying this because we all had to decide on a specific timing to evaluate, which was still pretty much very hard to do. Anyways, here are the rates of each participants!

all falls down's rate had a great format, just like all his previous rates, and he did a good job in describing the team and the issues it has. The Slowking suggestion is a great one, which shows that he has solid metagame knowledge. However, he did not do anything much to help the team against offensive Flygon and Sneasel, even though he did mention them as threats. He did mention them in optional changes, but that shows his lack of confidence in giving the rate. Moreover, his changes on that portion were all independent of one another, which makes him fail to make his changes support each other.

Chakra's rate also had a great format as well, and did a decent job assessing the team, but he has a couple of issues. Firstly, 252 HP on Slowking hits 394 and is a better Leftovers number, there were 0 reasons to run 248 HP over there. Also the reason of running only 8 Speed on Slowking was lackluster as well. Memento on Dugtrio is pretty bad on this team because Chakra didn't mention any Pokemon Dugtrio could be using Memento on, and Braviary can't set up if the opponent has a Magneton / Rhyperior on their team anyways. Shuca Berry Diancie somewhat beats Flygon, unless they run Iron Tail, but he brought it up in optional changes which, again, displays lack of confidence.

gorex's rate also has a good format, and does an exceptionally great job in analyzing the team and its threats. Unlike the other two rates, gorex has made drastic changes to the team, attempting to fix threats, especially lack of hazard control. But while he was mitigating the threats, he opened up another huge weakness for the team: lack of a Fighting-type switch in. The team was then Blastoise / Diancie / Braviary / Dugtrio / Virizion / Drapion, where Choice Scarf Medicham or Hitmonlee can easily have a field day, as nothing can switch into them.

Comparing formatting, level of conciseness and structuring, metagame knowledge, and the overall team in the end. I now congratulate all falls down for winning the RU Team Rating Tournament! Congratulations! I'd like to thank the hosts ( fran17, atomicllamas, FlamingVictini 49 ) for helping me with the tournament, and I'd give a special shoutout to 49 for being exceptionally helpful as a host.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Congrats all falls down! You've proven yourself to be a really capable rater in several tiers with this win and your success in Rate of the Week, so hope to see you kick on from here and continue to rate at a high level. Well done Chakra and gorex too. Major thanks to Arifeen and the other hosts for handling everything really efficiently and making sure the tour went smoothly. Keep an eye out for our next tour which we expect will be an OU one, seeing as it's been quite a while since the first edition and there are plenty of new aspiring OU raters out there waiting to make their mark :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)