RU THAT'S JUST AMAZING!!!!

Alright, so this team is just amazing. I've been playing the last few days, and I just love it utterly, and completely, with the whole of my pokemon heart. There are are a few problems, like any team has, but they don't overly hinder the team or the process much at all, so... let's go.

Building process: It's really long.

So, I was watching my favorite Youtube battler, NBZ, or Emperorznb, or EenBeeZed, and he used a Shellsmash pass Gorebyss, which i now isn't new, or inventive, but he preceeded to pass to a Medicham, one of my favorite pokemon to use ever, and I haven't really used Baton Pass in a long time, and Baton pass teams or near the top of my "I Really Like Doing This" battle styles, so I thought I'd make a team that could pass Medicham a shell smash. So, first I needed Gorebyss, and Medicham.

From there, I moved on to pokemon who could Tank a few hits, when needed. I also wanted a Stealth Rocker, as i knew that would be useful to me. So, I chose 3 pokemon, all of which could help me a lot, and and would be able to tank several different types of hits.

Steelix can tank a physical hit like almost no one else, in RU. Mandibuzz does pretty well with those special hits, and Rotom Mow, like most Rotom forms, take hits from both sides very very well, period. Now, I needed another pokemon. One that could hit specially, and would love nothing more then to recieve a shell smash passed to it. My first choice... Porygon Z.

So, there we were, my team complete. Though I must admit, it was pretty quickly thrown together, and a lot of problems quickly arose. The first thing to come up, i found it hard to pass to either porygon-Z or Medicham, and on top of that, neither steelix or mandibuzz were really working out like I hoped they would. So, I needed a change.

So my walls changed to Rhyperior and Noctowl. The oddest pair of walls I've ever used. I did think about Rhydon, but I figured, why not give the beast that is Rhyperior a chance, he does hit very hard, and also doesn't mind getting passed a Shell Smash. (I won a few battles doing that, actually.) Then yesterday afternoon happened. I turned on PO, and nothing was going right. Rhyperior wasn't working, Noctowl wasn't taking special its very well, even Rotom was letting me down, and i was still having problems with both Porygon-Z and Medicham, so I decided to give the team a bit of an overhaul.

So, I gave my team a complete overhaul. An Encoring Wish passing rocker in Clefable, an Evolite Tangela, a rather simple Hitmonlee set, a life orb Jynx, Gorebyss, who remains unchanged, and an Archeops. The team was doing very well, so much better then the previous set up, however certain, jynx, pokemon, jynx, weren't, jynx, working, jynx (as well as other minor things). So, I looked around and found one with just enough natural bulk to take a hit that Jynx wasn't able to take, and preceed to actually do something.

Magmortor just loves coming in with a plus 2 in both speed and special attack, and then sweeping all six of the opponents pokemon (No joke, I laughed as it happened, and saved the battle log, so i could prove it to my friends at a later date) and so, there we are. My team as it stands currently, in its most present state.

So, at the recommendation of Blazekin and NLI, who posted below, I made a couple of changes to my team. I replaced Hitmonlee with Gallade, Magmortar with Moltres, and Archeops with Rhyperior. For the most part, they all have the same role as they're previous counterparts, but they now do better at handling a couple of other threats that used to plague me more then I'd have liked.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

I exchanged out Flame Orb and Trick for Leftovers and Wish. I'm learning to predict people a little better, so i can pass wish off more successfully then I could a week ago, but still I have a bit of trouble, though I'll learn with time. Otherwise, Clefable does exactly what it did before. It sets up rocks, and heals the statuses of my other pokemon.

Tangela (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Tangela, the premiere physical wall in the 5th gen, draining the opponent of all HP Before they realize what's going on, with Leech Seed, Toxic, and Giga Drain. Sleep Powder over other powders, because once a pokemon is asleep, it lets me bring in Gorebyss pretty easily, as well as most other pokemon, honestly. He remains unchanged from before.

Gorebyss (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Substitute

I, as recommended, changed Surf and Ice beam for Scald and Substitute, and while I didn't notice a difference instantly, I did notice one after a while. Passing burn around the opponents team was quite useful in the long run, and with a Shell Smash, scald does do quite a number on most any opponent.

Gallade (M) @ Expert Belt Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Ice Punch

Gallade has replaced Hitmonlee, and does a really good job at it. It still handles all the threats that Hitmonlee handled, as well as few others now. Though I'm not sure if i should replace Leaf Blade or Ice Punch with Shadow Sneak, possibly. Otherwise, Gallade does do a really great job.

Moltres @ Life Orb Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Roar
- Flamethrower
- AncientPower
- Air Slash

I'm not really sure on a good move set for Moltres, to be honest. I went with one that I thought would help it and its team the best, but I could way off for all I know, but either way, it is helping at phasing out other pokes that want to baton pass, as well as dealing out considerable damage to pokes like Gallade and Medicham, especially after a shell smash pass to it. Though Stealth Rocks are a serious problem for him.

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Rock Polish

Rhyperior returns to my team, and takes up more of an offensive role, replacing Archeops, and I have to say, I absolutely love this guy, he does do quite a wonderful job in taking out those pests that just mess with me endlessly. (Though, if Megahorn misses one more time, I'm going to scream lol) and with Rock Polish, I make sure no one out speeds me, even those scarfed pokes.

So, that was my team. What do you think? Do you have anything to criticize? I Bet you do, you always do Smogon, but that's okay, I take crits very well, and in fact use them to my advantage. So, let's see what you got, leave your posts here. Thanks.

I haven't really thought about using Tangrowth as a sweeper, only as a Tankish Wall, and as Tangela fits my needs better then Tangrowth, I'd have to say I won't be trying it out on this team. Though I'll save that in the back of my mind for a later team.

I don't think archeops is a very good choice for a shell smash reciever. even though an archeops may be able to kill, if the opponent gets a move in right after the baton pass, or if they have sucker punch, you may get below 50% health. You are betting that sleep powder hits and he stays asleep until after the baton pass. I would change it for a Shedinja. that way, you can guess if wonder guard will stop damage. (If its allowed in RU, I don't actually know)

Shedinja@focus sash
ability: wonder guard
EVs: 255 Atk/255 Spd
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
-sucker punch
-X-scissor
-shadow sneak
-return

Jolly has less power but gives you 380 speed after the shell smash boost over 340.

Hi there! Well, i really like the idea behind a SmashPass team, specially because i really like offensive teams and yours is nice, but even with that power your team really needs heavy support to work properly.

I'm worried by the use of Archeops without Spinning support, because even without the Smash boost he is a great scouter, but his trait severely hinder his ability to abuse U-turn as 2 switch ins can render him useless... And if he is a recipient for Shell Smash if he is forced to swith out (even if it's odd) then he loses the chance to sweep by losing it's passed boosts. So maybe you could replace him with a revenge killer that can make your life easier, so i suggest Scarf Primeape in that slot (if you want to try him, of course) but you would also get rid of Hitmonlee...

And i'm also worried by the fact your Gorebyss is only meant to pass her boosts once and she hasn't a way to deal with prioryty users like Entei (or Honchkrow in a recipient) so i could suggest to change Ice Beam for Substitute and Surf for Scald, so you can abuse her nice speed to increase her opportunities to pass.

As a final note you can also switch Clefable item to Leftovers and replace Trick with Wish, as your teammates will really enjoy the free healing and Tangela is already a nice physical wall.

I'm sorry for the text wall but i want to help. If you have time to test what i suggested you then i would really apreciate your feedback even if it's negative.

Thanks and gl!

Hi RedGalaxy, you have an interesting team! I have a few suggestions:

Archeops for me isn't a very reliable Shell Smash recipient because it cannot break through some of the most common walls in the tier and its frailty coupled with its ability really makes it a bit of a gamble everytime it's sent out. You'd ideally want your recipient to be able to tank any hit and then be able to OHKO everything in sight, especially dedicated walls. Rhyperior could be a ready-made replacement with STAB EQ and Stone Edge or Rock Blast as well as Megahorn to shred Cresselia, Tangela and Claydol. It can function fine on its own too with Rock Polish as a last move. Rhyperior would also solve a huge Honchkrow weakness in your team as well as a recipient that isn't stopped by Entei.

The other thing is Hitmonlee and Clefable could do with a bit of tuning. I think they need to have a clearly defined job that only they can do and currently Hitmonlee is being outclassed by Medicham and Gallade as a sweeper while Clefable is a one trick pony that really wouldn't give any team much to think about. Clefable should replace Trick because it is a one time Burn attack (with a little item swapping annoyance) that just isn't worth it I reckon and Wish or Softboiled would be a much better move for it along with Leftovers.

Hitmonlee either needs to get on spinning duties or it should make way for Medicham or Gallade who would be much more capable of sweeping on their own or with a Shell Smash. Medicham has insane attack and can muscle his way past most things once Rhyperior has done its job, while Gallade is very versatile and can use a wall breaking or sweeping set very effectively to form a good partnership with Rhyperior. Their stats complement each other well and the threats they can deal with are also very different and allow for great synergy so I would recommend Gallade.

Magmortar is very powerful but it could be replaced with a Moltres, Entei or Speed Boost Yanmega to help clean up. Entei would give your team a priority check to the many boosters in the tier too so it could be a good replacement.

edit: wow a lot of my suggestions were well ninja'd by blaziken662, nice!

Wow, I haven't gotten this kind of feedback on any of my RMTs. I'll give what I can a shot, and see how things work out.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm loving it. I'll probably post tomorrow with my results.

Hi again bud! I feel pretty honored because you took my Gorebyss suggestion and it's been working for you, thanks a lot!

By the way I'm also glad you took No Luck Involved tweaks as he's a great team builder, but i want to point some things he forgot (or maybe assumed you knew about it...) to tell you, he he!

First of all your Gallade set looks nice by having a nice movepool that gives him great SE coverage i would suggest you to change his held item from Expert Belt to Life Orb and get rid of Leaf Blade and Nigth Slash in favor of Psycho Cut and Shadow Sneak respectively, with that moveset you exchange SE coverage for more initial sheer force which is useful to chip off nice chunks of damage on incoming pokes that can attempt to absorb your hits, and as Drain Punch provides him with a nice healing move you'll not suffer that much by LO recoil, he he.

As for Moltres i would suggest another moveset change replacing Ancientpower with HP Grass, as Gastrodon, Evolite Rhydon, Unaware Quagsire, Blastoise among others can be a pain to take down proving the fact you decide to get rid of Leaf Blade on Gallade. And you can consider Roost over Roar, because with SR in your field Moltres will go down quickly and Roar's negative priority will render his received boosts useless in case he's passed by Gorebyss...

Well, as i always say thank you for your patience and consideration! Gl!

PS: Give me feedback if you want to help me improve my rating skills, he he! Specially if my tips doesn't help you at all...

Your team looks much more threatening now!

Rhyperior should definitely be Adamant as Jolly doesn't outspeed anything notable.

If you're having trouble with Wish then try out Softboiled on Clefable. Clefable makes a great status absorber itself so you could also try Thunder Wave instead of Heal Bell. Of course your team will have to play much more carefully but Clefable can usually come in to most status inducers quite safely. Your team is very offensive and would love Paralysis support, so Stun Spore could also be considered on Tangela instead of Toxic.

Moltres would work better with a Choice Scarf I feel, because then it gives you a check to the many boosting sweepers in the tier and it still works well if passed a Shell Smash but your lack of Spinners really limits its use... Right now I'm not entirely sure what the best set would be. Maybe you can test a Scarf Moltres first and once you know what's causing it problems then you can better decide what you want.

The big change I would suggest is Gallade, I feel it can afford to be a little more flexible and not depend on a Shell Smash. Since you will most likely only get to pull off one SmashPass per match, each of your Pokemon must be able to function as a threat on their own. Gallade should have Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Psycho Cut and Taunt/Substitute/Shadow Sneak. That way, Gallade will be a threatening set up sweeper and a Shell Smash would just be an extra bonus. The EVs are all up to personal preference: 48 HP / 240 Atk / 84 SDef / 136 Spd; is an offensive spread to outspeed all common 'slow' Pokemon (Crawdaunt etc.) while: 240 HP / 20 Atk / 200 SDef / 48 Spd; makes Gallade a boosting tank that still outspeeds all walls.

Depending on how much you use Substitute on Gorebyss, you may find that Ice Beam was a better option after all so keep testing both moves as they have their uses. I would personally be inclined to make Gorebyss' EV spread more offensive so that it can function more effectively as a late-game cleaner but that is again your preference.

I can see that entry hazards are a big problem for this team but it can just as well work to your advantage. If you suspect the opponent will lay Toxic Spikes or something then you can punish them very heavily by setting up with either Gallade, Rhyperior or Gorebyss. Clefable and Tangela are good walls that help disrupt the opponent with status while Moltres (or whatever Pokemon you have in this slot) should have a utility role in plugging the gaps. It's shaping up to be a very dangerous team!

Yeah, Entry hazards hurt me bad. I tried a few alternates in place of clefable, like a RS blastoise, and a RS wishing spinda, but neither worked well at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)