Resource RU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
The prevelance of Zoroark also makes defensive cofag's life a pain. Zoro threatens Cofag even more than other blanket walls, and so the opponent has a lot of pressure when it comes to switching into something like escav when zoro is lurking on the team. It's practically a liability.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like Cofagrigus, but it's kinda hard for it to excel in RU as is. In terms of OTR, it's very reliant on setting up both Trick Room and Nasty Plot to become a threat, as otherwise it's rather weak and slow. Speaking of which, having to take two turns to set up really lets it down, since Cofagrigus has no reliable recovery and is very prone to being worn down, especially if it is hit by Knock Off; not to mention its special bulk isn't that good. It's also rather easy to deal with, as Molk said, because a lot of prominent threats don't mind its OTR set at all, especially Meloetta and Skuntank, not to mention Drapion. The defensive set really isn't that good in my opinion because it's a massive momentum drain that lacks reliable recovery and is really easy to wear down, although countering Escavalier is something I guess. But beyond that it's kinda just sitting there, not hitting that hard and it really only burns stuff. In addition to what Molk said, I think B is probably the best fit for Cofagrigus as is. It's still good, but it has some issues that somewhat limit its use so it needs a rather specific kind of team to work at its best, much like the other mons in B.

I might make a nom later but I oughtta get some thoughts together.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Can we move Fletchinder down to B+. I don't know why it's anywhere A ranks when this thing is so matchup dependant and is practically made dead weight by having one of its many omnipresent counters (a fat steel with toxic, a rock type, an electric-type, etc). 4x weakness to rocks and general frailty are all really hard to ignore. It does well vs offense sure (provided that they don't have the ever-so common Rhyperior), but man does this thing have trouble pulling its weight consistently to warrant its rank.

With good Sticky Web setters gone, I think some things should be moved down.

Exploud should be bumped down to B+/B given that it's just as matchup dependant as Fletchinder. It's a great wallbreaker, but it really isn't so hot vs offense, and no I don't count its role on Trick Room teams because Trick Room teams are garbage due to how hard they lose to stall. Again, it's the kinda thing that does well vs one playstyle but is rather mediocre against another. I get that nothing on offense can switch into Exploud, but the opposite also holds the same truth.

Emboar should move down as well to B/B+. Lack of competent web setters really sucks and the scarf set lost quite a bit of effectiveness as a revenge killer due to the fact that it can't take out the fastest Pokemon in the tier (Jolteon). Mix set is okay vs stall, but Slowking is being incorporated more and more on these types of teams; as such, Emboar in general loses effectiveness as a wallbreaker. The metagame shifts just weren't very kind to it all, and it really struggles to keep up with more proficient wallbreakers like Yanmega.

Dugtrio should move up to A-. Dugtrio offense is actually very good atm due to the type of Pokemon it can trap and kill for its teammates. Yantrio in particular is just a really destructive stallbreaking core. The amount of support it provides isn't just limited to trapping and killing certain threats given that it has access to Memento to grant set up opportunities and the always useful Stealth Rock. It's rather weak of course and limited in what it can trap, but of the Pokemon that it can take out, it does its job very consistently and the level of support it provides is both unique and unparalleled by anything else.

I think another thing that could actually move up is Registeel. It's rather common in higher level play and can work just fine on balanced without the need of Wish support (contrary to what the those said when it was brought up for the A ranks last time). Protect + resistance to SR grants it quite a bit of durability and assures that it isn't worn down very quickly. It's practically a staple on stall due to the fact that it's the only thing that can consistently handle Specs Yanmega and the like. That's not to mention that the Curse set is very good and can actually take down passive defensive builds rather easily. This Pokemon works well against just about any type of team, can fulfill more than one role, and can fit on and is a staple on many kinds of builds. Easy A rank.

Meowstic-M should move down to B-. It's an effective Pokemon no doubt and is good at what it does, but its niche isn't in high demand right now (fast screens) and it isn't perfect at this role either. Knock Off, Defog, etc and other such things put Meowstic-M in a heavy bind and really restrict how far it can support its team.

Virizion should move up to A. It's a very scary sweeper that has limited responses (some of those very checks can get screwed by a certain coverage move, even). Its bulk and typing also allow it to be one of the best offensive checks to Pokemon such as Sharpedo, Rhyperior, and Zoroark. All very dangerous threats that are handled by a single Pokemon. Calm Mind sets also allow it to best physically inclined Pokemon such as Gligar and Hitmontop more easily. I think this is like the third time Virizion was proposed to be A rank, so it would be nice if it happened this time around, lol.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think we should also move Zangoose down to B without SW support it becomes a mediocre wallbreaker with paper defenses. I was the one who nominated Zangoose to B+ in the Shuckle era but I need to accept that using Zangoose without his friend shuckle is risky and difficult.

Co(BAN ME PLEASE)rigus
lmao at world filters, but yeah, I agree that Cofagrigus should be moved down to B rank. OTR is its best set as has always been, but RU is just teeming with Pokemon that a) can take it on easily even at +2 like Meloetta b) benefit from Trick Room (literally a third of the tier) or c) are Zoroark. Any other offensive set would be outclassed by Doublade, who has an arguably better typing and stat distribution. The defensive set has, well, good defenses but the lack of reliable recovery plus being knock off weak unlike Spiritomb means he can't really wall the things he should be walling. it's like six in the morning and I haven't slept yet, but yeah, bury Cofag in B rank where it belongs.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Loads of stuff to cover. Let's give it a shot:

Cofagrigus: Basically agreeing with everyone else here on its move down to B rank. The only thing not covered is the fact that Gallade and Hitmonlee, two Pokemon that previously had a difficult time with Cofag, can now push past it or, at worst, cripple it with Knock Off.

Exploud: I think B+ is fine for it. While it doesn't fare too well vs. offense, it is an absolute pain for stall, balance, and bulky offense teams. Though it has a harder time switching in against balance and bulky offense teams, there are reliable chances since these teams typically have slower attackers or outright walls. Boomburst is still one of the strongest nukes in the tier and very easy to spam as most Rocks and Steels lack reliable recovery, thus making them very easy to wear down. It loses out from no Shuckle, but it can still work as a wallbreaker for Spike stacking teams and can maybe choose to invest in some bulk now that it can't really rely on Sticky Web to help it with Speed.

Emboar: Yeah, moving it down to B rank is probably best. It has a very hard time with Slowking and can't exactly surprise the other main target, Alomomola, thanks to the latter's access to Protect to scout what Emboar wants to do. There's also the fact that Moltres and Delphox exist as other Fire-type attackers who are perfectly viable, generally stronger, and faster. The fact it can't outpace Jolteon (or Swellow for that matter) with a Scarf is very unfortunate as well.

Registeel: Anything that can actually switch into Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega is really fucking good right now because that thing is damn near impossible to switch into rn. It's a fantastic special wall that can still handle most resisted physical attacks from the likes of Braviary, Escavalier, and Druddigon. Spirit also brought up a good point about Protect, making it less reliant on Wish to keep it healthy (though it obviously helps considering Aroma and Mola already have good synergy with Regi) Not really sure why this thing ever dropped tbh. Deserving of A/A- rank.

Meowstic-M: I was hoping that once Sticky Web left, life would get easier for Meowstic-M, but it seems this simply isn't the case. As one of the most experienced players around with Meowstic-M, I have to agree with it moving down to B-/B rank. While it does good at what it does, the playstyle isn't in high demand right now and it has a hard time with top wallbreakers / sweepers such as Zoroark, Yanmega, and Escavalier.

Virizion: I've been advocating this move for.... how long now? I've used Virizion pretty much since the start of XY and it's been fantastic. It has such a great offensive and defensive typing in RU considering it allows Viri to hit most physical walls for super effective damage (hi Mola and Perior) while also being able to act as a fantastic offensive check to the likes of Rhyperior, Sharpedo (beware of Zen) and Zoroark. Great mon rn and it has been since the start as it really got freed when Tornadus got banned (think that's when I first nommed it for A rank lol) Totally deserves A rank.

Last edited:
Proposing Arbok for C+ rank. Arbok is legitimately threatening in the metagame, and can set up on a wide variety of threats. Sure, it's walled by Pokemon such as Gligar, but then again, so are other Pokemon such as Ambipom in C+; what is Swellow even doing in a metagame filled with Doublade? Thanks to Intimidate, Arbok can set up more easily, and its Poison-typing allows it to set up on the likes of Virizion and others with ease. After a single Coil boost, Arbok becomes much more difficult to stop. Sure, the aforementioned Gligar can stop it easily, but a Coil Boost lets it take on the likes of Physical Sharpedo and Hitmonlee. Faster Special Attackers can still maim Arbok, but many of them such as Meloetta and Delphox are greatly harmed by a +1 Sucker Punch. Arbok obviously requires a lot of support to function, but so do the other threats in C+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ru-14761
Here is just one replay demonstrating the effectiveness of Arbok at the end of games. Arbok isn't slow either, as its decent Speed still allows it to outrun Pokemon such as Druddigon. +1 Gunk Shot deals massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and the chance to poison doesn't hurt either. Arbok is good enough to legitimately be a threat to more offensive teams late-game, and setting up a Coil genuinely isn't too difficult against most teams in the metagame; Arbok should be ranked amongst the likes of Ambipom in C+.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just curious, why isn't bouffalant ranked at all? I think that it does a great job at breaking down common defensive cores due to the prevalence of grass types in this tier such as amoongus and tangrowth. Sure, it doesn't have the greatest speed but it has a very respectable amount of bulk and a massive attack stat.

thnx 4 reminding me bolts....

nomming a based lord anywhere from C- to C+ (but deep inside we all kno it should be S)...
what a majestic beast

Ok, so before I get into this I'm just basing this off the SubSD set, which, while may seem outclassed by Braviary due to its higher speed and the benefit of having flying STAB, misses out on a few things this beautiful motherfucker has. It breaks through a large portion of stall; it sets up on things like Alomomola, Aromatisse, non-Foul Play Amoonguss, Gligar, Registeel, pretty much anything on stall not named Bronzong or Rhyperior. It also has the advantage of being able to take out a majority of Steel-types, particularly Registeel, who SubBU Braviary can't do jack shit to. Sure, these may not seem too great when compared to the fact that Braviary can heal off damage from the Sub and isn't as easily worn down in general, but Bouff has advantages that are noticeable and definitely more than enough to warrant it a spot somewhere in the C ranks(seriously why the fuck isnt this ranked anywhere lol).

I didn't see Lickilicky anywhere, so I would like to nominate it for B- rank.

Okay, where do I start. Lickilicky is one of few special walls that can say it can wall Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega and Delphox at the same time. Lickilicky can wall nearly every special attacker in the tier bar Exploud and Clawitzer, which is quite an accomplishment. Lickilicky can provide cleric support with Wish and Heal Bell. It has a phasing move in Dragon Tail. It isn't Taunt bait thanks to Oblivious. It has a very colorful movepool with a ton of support options as well as offensive options. It isn't an easy switch-in for physical attackers either, as it can wall Sharpedo, which is also quite impressive. It isn't Substitute bait, as it has Seismic Toss, though it does lose to 101 Substitutes. Those are just some traits it has for a specially defensive spread. Lickilicky can also run a Choice Band set to nail Rhypeior, a good switch into Lickilicky, with Power Whip. It can also hurt Steel-types with Earthquake and Ghost-types with Knock Off. Did I forget to mention STAB Explosion?

Of course, Lickilicky has some obvious flaws. It's pure Normal-typing gives it no resistances, a lone immunity to Ghost, and a crippling Fighting-type weakness, which means its bait to every Fighting-type ever. This is very poor considering how common Hitmonlee is. It's Speed also gives it much to be desired. However, Lickilicky seems like an extremely solid Pokemon and, after using it extensively, I can comfortably say that it deserves B- rank.
I support Lickilicky for B- Rank, it's good in stall for its high special bulk, cleric abilities, shuffling, and blocking taunts, while Seismic Toss discourages setup unless you have 101+ subs, and it can surprise mons that might switch into it with its good physical movepool.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, update time, p. big one this time around!

Cofagrigus down to B rank
Emboar down to B+ rank
Virizion up to A rank
Exploud down to B+ rank
Arbok up to C+ rank
Registeel up to A- rank
Meowstic-M down to B- rank
Uxie down to B- rank
Bouffalant added to C+ rank
Dragalge down to B- rank
Zangoose down to B rank
Lickilicky added to B- rank

Pokemon that i'd like more discussion for this time around include Dugtrio, and Fletchinder. I'd also like some discussion on the newly added Pokemon to help try and find more accurate placements. If you don't understand why arbok was moved up, shake can provide you with at least 40 replays.

Crustle from C- to C
Crustle is a very good hazard setter with sturdy. It can learn both stealth rocks and spikes which plays a big role in the metagame. Although, it is no where near how efficient Shuckle is, I would consider it a replacement to Shuckle. Being able to learn Knock off plays such a big role in the metagame as well. When I play RU, items are such a BIG deal, especially when the damage output is changed as well (not too much of a deal in Crustle's case). Crustly, overall, is not a bad Pokemon, but can be countered easily with water type Pokemon. Still Crustle can set up at least 1 layers of spikes, and rocks with a custap berry.

Ok, update time, p. big one this time around!

Cofagrigus down to B rank
Emboar down to B+ rank
Virizion up to A rank
Exploud down to B+ rank
Arbok up to C+ rank
Registeel up to A- rank
Meowstic-M down to B- rank
Uxie down to B- rank
Bouffalant added to C+ rank
Dragalge down to B- rank
Zangoose down to B rank
Lickilicky added to B- rank

Pokemon that i'd like more discussion for this time around include Dugtrio, and Fletchinder. I'd also like some discussion on the newly added Pokemon to help try and find more accurate placements. If you don't understand why arbok was moved up, shake can provide you with at least 40 replays.
Is Druddigon banned yet?

I'm gonna second Spirit on the placement of Dugtrio. Dugtrio is probably one of the best offensive mons to be using at the moment, as not only can it function as a great revenge killer with a Choice Band set, but it paves the way for mons that are walled by the likes of Registeel to clean mid to late-game, such as Yanmega and Meloetta. Although it usually can switch into very few attacks, it's very easy for mons like Magneton and Zoroark to lure them in with U-turn / Volt Switch, making it much easier for them to do damage to the rest of the team. All in all, the obscene amount of support Dugtrio provides for offensive teams shouldn't be overlooked and is enough for Dugtrio to go to A-.

Nominating Tauros for C+
It is at least on par with the other offensive Normal types in the tier and has a shitload of power thanks to Sheer Force (that also lets it evade Life Orb recoil) that lets it be an excellent late game cleaner and Revenge killer as it outspees and OHKOs common sweepers and attackers like Durant, Virizion, Delphox, Zoroark (252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 153-181 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO takes it pretty well for an offensive pokemon), offensive Gallade, and Heliolisk and can easily revenge kill weakened Cobalion (at around 60%) and Doublade (at around 50%). It has some trouble against ghost types but the fact that it lures them in easily makes it one of the best Zoroark illusions. It needs support to take out alomomola (unless you use lolthunder) and it has some accuracy issues but its qualities make it C+ worthy in my opinion

I would say C at best since Bouffalant is kinda better besides speed. Also i think you messed up some calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tauros Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Durant on a critical hit: 226-267 (87.5 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Thats the best possible scenario, even though more realistically its:

252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 108-127 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.

Yeah Tauros is fast and all but 100 isnt really anything special for attack. It could make a cool revenge killer I guess, but it definitely lacks coverage. Id rather see it at C-/C.

Edit: watched the replays you run Fire Blast..uh yeah the first replay didnt say much about tauros since lots of mons can pick off Doublade at 50. Also the second one so many mons could have finished those mons off. Any scarfer really.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would say C at best since Bouffalant is kinda better besides speed. Also i think you messed up some calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tauros Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Durant on a critical hit: 226-267 (87.5 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Thats the best possible scenario, even though more realistically its:

252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 108-127 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.

Yeah Tauros is fast and all but 100 isnt really anything special for attack. It could make a cool revenge killer I guess, but it definitely lacks coverage. Id rather see it at C-/C.

Edit: watched the replays you run Fire Blast..uh yeah the first replay didnt say much about tauros since lots of mons can pick off Doublade at 50. Also the second one so many mons could have finished those mons off. Any scarfer really.
I agree that the replays posted weren't really the best, but as someone who's had multiple experiencies with both XY and BW RU Tauros you're underestimating it quite a bit (theres a reason it was A last gen .-.). I'm a big stickler for abilities and move BP matter as much if not more than the actual Attack stat, and that's just proven here. Tauros's base Attack stat might only be a modest base 100, but thanks to its Sheer Force ability it actually hits quite a bit harder than you'd expect, on par with some of RU's attackers at least.

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 208-246 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 195-230 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I doubt anyone who's played RU would call Yanmega weak...

Also, Fire Blast is a perfectly legitimate option on Tauros and was last generation too for the same reason Rock Climb/Rock Slide/EQ provides Tauros with all the physical coverage it needs, and Sheer Force+Life Orb+Fire Blast's high BP makes sure it can get the job done at 2HKOing some things that'd wall Tauros otherwise.

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 468-556 (181.3 - 215.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 172-203 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 200 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 153-182 (49.5 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Bronzong is a pain but still loses to repeated Fire Blasts. Ice Beam is a perfectly viable option in the last slot to 2HKO Gligar too.

So all in all

1) Tauros might only have 100/40 offensive stats, but Sheer Force more than makes up for it, letting it hit surprisingly hard and even outdamage things such as Yanmega and match Life Orb Delphox in power, all while taking no Life Orb recoil.

2) Tauros's coverage isn't lacking, it has everything it needs between Rock Climb/Rock Slide/EQ/coverage move. It learns Zen Headbutt as well if you want to try that, it ensures the KO on virizion at least.

3) Fire Blast and Ice Beam are perfectly legitimate options on Tauros and KO exactly what they need to KO (only use one at a time though).

4) Bouffalant and Tauros are completely different Pokemon outside of design and typing. Bouffalant is a slow, bulky, attacker meant to break down walls. Tauros is a fast and powerful attacker meant for early game nuking and late game cleaning. The speed is EXTREMELY important, especially because it ends up one or two Speed points above important Pokemon such as Durant, Heliolisk, Virizion, and Cobalion.

C+ is definitely fine for Tauros, in fact if we could get some better replays with it and/or test it more i could see it ending up being ranked even higher tbh. As i mentioned earlier, there was a reason it was A rank last gen.

I agree that the replays posted weren't really the best, but as someone who's had multiple experiencies with both XY and BW RU Tauros you're underestimating it quite a bit (theres a reason it was A last gen .-.). I'm a big stickler for abilities and move BP matter as much if not more than the actual Attack stat, and that's just proven here. Tauros's base Attack stat might only be a modest base 100, but thanks to its Sheer Force ability it actually hits quite a bit harder than you'd expect, on par with some of RU's attackers at least.

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 208-246 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 195-230 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I doubt anyone who's played RU would call Yanmega weak...

Also, Fire Blast is a perfectly legitimate option on Tauros and was last generation too for the same reason Rock Climb/Rock Slide/EQ provides Tauros with all the physical coverage it needs, and Sheer Force+Life Orb+Fire Blast's high BP makes sure it can get the job done at 2HKOing some things that'd wall Tauros otherwise.

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 468-556 (181.3 - 215.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 172-203 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 200 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 153-182 (49.5 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Bronzong is a pain but still loses to repeated Fire Blasts. Ice Beam is a perfectly viable option in the last slot to 2HKO Gligar too.

So all in all

1) Tauros might only have 100/40 offensive stats, but Sheer Force more than makes up for it, letting it hit surprisingly hard and even outdamage things such as Yanmega and match Life Orb Delphox in power, all while taking no Life Orb recoil.

2) Tauros's coverage isn't lacking, it has everything it needs between Rock Climb/Rock Slide/EQ/coverage move. It learns Zen Headbutt as well if you want to try that.

3) Fire Blast and Ice Beam are perfectly legitimate options on Tauros and KO exactly what they need to KO (only use one at a time though).

4) Bouffalant and Tauros are completely different Pokemon outside of design and typing. Bouffalant is a slow, bulky, attacker meant to break down walls. Tauros is a fast and powerful attacker meant for early game nuking and late game cleaning. The speed is EXTREMELY important, especially because it ends up one or two Speed points above important Pokemon such as Durant, Heliolisk, Virizion, and Cobalion.

C+ is definitely fine for Tauros, in fact if we could get some better replays with it and/or test it more i could see it ending up being ranked even higher tbh. As i mentioned earlier, there was a reason it was A rank last gen.
Lol sorry for the replays but I forgot about them while laddering and tried to make some battling some frens from the RU room :c
I think that Rock Climb/Zen Headbutt/EQ/Fire Blast is the best set as Zen Headbutt is kinda needed to OHKO full health virizion and Mismagius after Rocks and LO while Rock slide isn't really that useful as Yanmega and Moltres die to Rock Climb with Rocks up. I have yet to try Ice Beam because I have been running HP ice zoro with it but that looks like a legitimate option. Also I nommed to c+ because it wasn't listed but it can potentially be B material in my opinion c:

I think B- is the place for Tauros for the reasons everyone else has said. It has great speed and incredible coverage with usable power and a great ability. while certainly not the pokemon it was last gen tauros is an awesome cleaner and overall versatile pokemon.

Delphox: S > A+
Coverage
and CM make it very hard to outright Wall, however it finds itself weak to Rocks and common priority throughout the tier such as Kabu/Sharpedo's Aqua Jet, Doublade's/Mega Banette's Shadow Sneak and Zoroark/Druddigon/Hitmonlee's Sucker Punch, and you are able to pivot into basically all of these pokemon as long as you bait the right move. Assault Vest Slowking, Cress, Meloetta, Drudd are common and great Checks/Counters to Delphox, able to outright wall it or force it out. Scarf sets are good only for their ability to Switcheroo and cripple walls imo, since its never a good idea to Choice lock a mon that has as great coverage as Delphox does. Overall its obviously still a very strong mon, I just feel there are many viable ways to deal with it that it isn't quite worthy of an S rank. Also prominence of Dugtrio is hurting it a bit as well.

Escavalier: A+ > A/A-
Assault Vest is a great Check to some Threatening Special Attackers such as Meloetta, Mega Abomasnow and Cresselia, however the incredibly low speed and lack of recovery means it gets worn down too quickly imo, since Stealth Rock and any decently strong Special Atk mean it's taking at least 30% every time it comes in. It's reliance on Wish support to make it to sustain itself throughout a match make it slightly less than A+ imo.

Gligar: A- > A/A+
Gligar's ability to wall some of the most prominent threats in the metagame warrant it a boost towards the top end of A rank imo. It is able to easily take on Hitmonlee, Doublade, Druddigon, Escavalier, Cobalion (bar Magnet Rise) and not to mention Arbok (til Shake starts runnin Aqua Tail, then we may as well quit the tier) and find opportunities to Defog, set up Rocks, Roost up or gain momentum with U-Turn. I think U-Turn is one of the best things about Gligar too, after it comes in on one of the numerous things it walls, it can gain momentum with U-Turn, making it an easy fit on all playstyles. The Immunity to Ground, Electric and possibly Toxic make it very easy to from cores with too.

SD/Agility pass is actually very good too.

Overall just a quality mon that deserves to higher.

Amoonguss: A- > A+
Amoonguss is a fantastic wall in RU in it's own right, Countering Various Water/Grass/Fighting/Fairy thanks to its great mixed Defenses. It can also keep itself healthy all game long with Regenerator and Giga Drain, and can Absorb Toxic Spikes. This is all very nice but what warrants the bump is just how amazing Spore is. Spore basically turns every match up into a 6 Vs 5 since, the only pokemon immune to Sleep (aside from Overcoat Escav) are Grass types, which have no discernible way of beating Amoonguss when their STAB's are 4x resisted and they are weak to Amoonguss' STAB Sludge Bomb. The only common Grass type that can actually switch in on Amoonguss to absorb sleep is... Amoonguss itself.

The fact that Amoonguss is basically guaranteed to incapacitate 1 opposing pokemon every game makes it incredibly valuable, combined with a typing which allows it to wall many prominent threats and Regenerator to keep it healthy without support warrants a bump up to A+ alongside Alo imo.

Gurdurr: B > B+/A-
I said it before and I'll say it again, Gurdurr is one of the best RU pokemon atm. It's great Physcial bulk and access to Drain Punch ensure it is a durable Tank, easily Checking the musketeers, Zoroark, Hitmonlee, Sharpedo Drapion, Mega Snow, Kabutops, Cincinno, just a bunch of prominent Physical attackers. Mach Punch also ensures it can revenge kill many of these pokemon if they manage to set up, avoiding taking damage all together. Knock Off ensures it can deal massive damage to Ghost and Psychic types (which are often forced in to prevent Gurdurr recovering too much health with Drain Punch) and is generally useful for removing items from Walls such as Gligar, Aromatisse and Alomomola, or a boosting item from Yanmega/Moltres.

In the final slot you can choose to run one of 4 very viable options:
  • Bulk Up - Allows you to set up in the face of things that may otherwise be troublesome such as Gligar and Rhyperior, after 1 boost you are dealing a lot of damage with Drain Punch, and thus healing a lot, and are basically impossible to break from the Physical side. +1 Mach Punch deters Special Attackers such as Exploud from revenge killing, and Toxic stalling isn't an option since Guts will only make it hit even harder and gain more health from Drain Punch. However you will find yourself shut down by Fairies and you are able to be revenge killed rather easily by Yanmega/Moltres/Delphox(if Psychic).
  • Ice Punch - My personal favourite, Ice Punch combined with Iron Fist allows you to 2HKO Gligar/Amoonguss/Yanmega which can usually come in for free, and also allows you to land big hits on Druddigon and Flying types in general, is the best option for limiting the number of Checks you have.
  • Poison Jab - Basically exclusive for Fairies, Poison Jab stops Aromatisse and Whimsicott from walling you. Being able to beat Aromatisse is incredibly useful Vs. stall since it means they will usually have to sacrifice a lot of Items and health in an attempt to wear you down. 30% Poison chance is nice too.
  • Stone Edge - Stone Edge probably offers the least bang for buck, but being able to OHKO Yanmega/Moltres/Fletchinder on the switch can swing games entirely in your favour. Also hits Flying types harder than Iron Fist Ice Punch.
It's effectiveness warrants an A- minus ranking, but for some reason Molk still doubts it so I'm guessing I'll have to settle for B+.

Eelektross: C+ > B/B+
As far as I understand Assault Vest Eel was popular when Nadus was allowed, but for some reason has since fallen from grace, despite it still being a very viable and threatening pokemon. The coverage it has in Giga Drain/Volt Switch/Flamethrower makes it incredibly hard to switch in on, usually meaning you have to pivot a lot, which requires prediction and can wear you down if hazards are up. Recovery from Giga Drain can help to keep it healthy, and Volt Switch can help gain momentum against Special Walls such as Aromatisse. In the final slot Knock Off is a great option (115 base Atk) for dealing big hits to Special tanks such as AV Slowking/Meloetta and removing Items from Bulky things like Gligar and Gurdurr.

As for its bulk, with Assault Vest it becomes a good check to LO Yanmega and Moltres, easily tanking their flying STABs and gaining momentum or killing them with Volt Switch. The fact it has 0 Weaknesses also means outright OHKO'ing Eelektross is near impossible, which, combined with Eelektross' coverage, often means Offensive pokemon will lose 1 on 1.

Overall a fantastic bulky pivot which can Check some scary Special Attackers and is very hard for teams lacking a dedicated Special wall to take on.

Last edited:

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I support Afro Smash in most of his choices with some exceptions (I will talk about them later) but in the meantime I want to do this nomination:

A- ----> A/A+

Jolteon's awesome speed stat make him one of the fastes pokemon on the entire game outspeeding things like Choice Scarf Emboar, Cinccino, Spectile and even Swellow. I also has a good movepool consisting of gems like Volt Switch, Shadow Ball and even Batton Pass and with an amazing ability is is capable of switching into electric type moves like the common Volt Switch and T-bolt and it can run a ton of different sets like Choice Specs, Expert Belt and even Sub Pass. With great versatility, speed, movepool and cuteness I think Jolteon deserves a solid A rank.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
The fact that so many users still name Claydol "the greatest or most significant or most influential" RU Rapid Spinner ever only tells you how far Rapid Spin still is from becoming a serious niche. Defog critics have long recognized that the greatest RU Defoggers of all times are Gligar and Golbat, who are not the most famous or strongest or most used of their tier, let alone of all tiers. Magic Bounce critics rank the highly controversial Xatu over Magic Bouncers who were highly popular in the higher tiers. Rapid Spin critics are still blinded by commercial success: Claydol sis used more than anything else (not true, by the way), therefore it must be the greatest. Defog critics grow up using a lot of jDefoggers of the lower tiers, Magic Bounce critics grow up using a lot of Bouncers of the lower tiers. Rapid Spin critics are often totally ignorant of the Rapid Spinners of the past, they barely know the most used. No wonder they will think that Claydol does anything worth of being saved.

Stop trying to vouch for Claydol girls, it's terribad.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Another thing that i'd like to bring up is possibly moving Reuniclus down from A+ rank to A rank.

Reuniclus is still an excellent Pokemon, don't get me wrong, but the metagame's changed to the point where its actually a bit unfavorable for everyone's favorite blob imo. When some of the metagame's biggest threats include Pokemon such as Yanmega, Sharpedo, Doublade, Zoroark, Mega Banette, Escavalier, Meloetta, Durant, Drapion, and many more obscure things such as Shiftry and Skuntank, Reuniclus actually ends up having a pretty hard time :/. Even outside of these particular Pokemon, a bunch of common threats carry Knock Off, which smacks Reuniclus pretty hard despite its bulk, and removes either its Leftovers or boosting item in the form of Life Orb. The latter is especially annoying for the OTR set, as not just is it getting cleanly 2HKO'd or even OHKO'd by this common move, but its actually weakening it in the process and making it that much harder for it to sweep, especially when you consider TR Reuniclus performs best against fast, offensive, teams and thats where quite a few of the tier's common Knock Off users often reside. The Calm Mind set ends up having slight, but crippling 4mss because of the presence of various common Pokemon in the metagame. Most notably, Doublade, one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame completely walls the Calm Mind set unless it runs Shadow Ball, but if it does so it ends up completely walled by pretty much any Dark-type in the tier, and giving free set up to things such as SD Zoroark is never good. Not to mention that the defensive metagame is actually pretty well prepared to handle CM Reuni when things such as Tspikes Drapion, Doublade, Skuntank, and defensive Meloetta (trust me, it works, its actually bulkier on the special side than Slowking and gets stuff like Knock Off, Heal Bell, and most importantly Perish Song to support its team) can fit on stall p. well while still pulling their weight outside of simply beating Reuniclus.

This doesn't mean Reuniclus is bad though, far from it in fact, its still a p. powerful force. However, i think the metagame is currently unfavorable enough to it that it can no longer be considered "almost S rank".

EDIT: i also made an executive descision and moved claydol down to E rank. I know some people were supporting it to move up, so i got curious and tried it out. But even with the "correct" Toxic+Protect set, on the correct playstyle, and with the right teammates, i still only came to one conclusion even after trying to make it work for 2 and a half rounds: its just garbage.

Heres Claydol in a nutshell.

Its a Rapid Spinner thats immune/resistant to all entry hazards, that's a good start right?
But then you realize that its also a Rapid Spinner with no offensive presence, meaning that outside of getting rid of those entry hazards, its not really doing much else to threaten the opponent. On top of this, bar Doublade who is admittedly common, Claydol becomes dead weight against any team with a Ghost-type Pokemon from the start. From my experience, every competent team has at LEAST two Pokemon that make this thing dead weight, especially in high level play.

But wait! It has good defenses! That must be good for something right?
Those defenses are deceptive, because Claydol has a bunch of things holding it back from being an even decent wall. First off, it has no reliable recovery outside of Wish support, meaning it relies of Leftovers and the all predictable Protect to rack up recovery. Outside of this simple lack of recovery moves, Claydol's typing might be good against entry hazards, but otherwise its plain to see that it does way more harm than good. Thanks to Claydol's Ground/Psychic-type. You don't just have a Rapid Spinner thats weak to Knock Off and Pursuit, two very important moves, but a Pokemon that takes super effective damage from all the spinblockers themselves, whether they're using Ghost-type STAB or not, things like Gourgeist and Jellicent still smack it around with their STAB attacks.

But Toxic+Protect can be used to stall out spinblockers and then eventually get the Rapid Spin off, right??
This might seem good in theory, and does eventually wear down some of the Ghost-types to the point that you can spin, but theres a big flaw to all of this. Because of Claydol's terrible typing that leaves it weak to all common coverage moves Ghost-types use, it gets forced out right after the protect the vast majority of the time, with the hazards staying up. Even if you stay in, Claydol runs a risk of just flat out dying, being crippled by WoW to cancel out its own recovery, or getting Leech Seeded by say Gourgeist, further crippling it. Either way, by the time the opposing spinblocker actually ends up going down, Claydol most often still gets forced out by the next Pokemon in, once again thanks to its "exceptional" defensive typing, still stopping it from getting the spin right away. By the time Claydol actually gets the Rapid Spin off, the hazards have most likely already done their job, and you just gave your opponent a free turn with something with so little offensive presence or walling ability otherwise.

b-b-but Earth Power beats Doublade!
This is true, but once again Claydol ends up having the same problem as before, even if you predict the Doublade switch correctly and Earth Power for the 2HKO, Doublade still got just enough chip damage on you through Shadow Sneak that Claydol usually gets forced out and doesn't get to spin anyway. Once again, by the time Claydol actually gets to Rapid Spin, the hazards have already done their job, and you most likely just gave your opponent a free turn to set up a win condition.

The reason to use this over Gligar is to not clear your own hazards!
Considering how incompetent Claydol is at actually getting its spinning job done, i'd actually much rather use Gligar on a spikestacking stall team and occasionally have to remove my rocks/spikes/tspikes than resort to using this thing (in fact, i actually did, and my team immediately started working better once i got rid of Claydol .___.). Gligar is much bulkier on the physical side, shares the same spikes/tspikes immunity while not being weak to Stealth Rock, and unlike Claydol actually has reliable recovery in the form of Roost and some neat supportive options such as Knock Off and U-turn as a defensive Pokemon/Pivot to make it useful otherwise. If any of you bring up not being 4x weak to HP ice and therefore checking Electric-types more effectively, most Electric-types that rely on Hidden Power anyway are running HP Grass/Water for Rhyperior, and in Heliolisk's case it demolishes both regardless with Grass Knot+Hidden Power Ice.

Stealth Rock+Rapid Spin is cool
Once again, Claydol is so terrible at getting the job done that it simply isn't worth it here, there are tons of options that are capable of setting up Stealth Rock in RU, and we have spinners and defoggers that are much better as well. I'd rather split this over 2 teamslots filled with competent Pokemon than resort to using this thing. Even if i absolutely had to (and i never thought i'd say this). I'd probably use damn Sandslash over Claydol. At least Sandslash isn't complete set up bait, isn't weak to Pursuit or Knock Off, and gets a Knock Off of its own to cripple spinblockers, all while actually performing better against Doublade thanks to its ability to knock off its Eviolite and lack of a weakness to Ghost-type moves.

So all in all, after extended testing both using and facing this thing, the only conclusion that i can come to is that this thing is genuine garbage, and (sorry if this offends anyone), i think this is legitimately the worst Pokemon i've ever used in any tier, metagame, or generation x__x.

/end rant

Last edited:
Imo tauros is a legit B mon. Like, I really think so.

The reason is p simple. He has the tools he needs to beat any kind of threat that would otherwise threaten or stop him. You can use him however you see fit and he might just be the second best mix attacker in the tier, with Zoroark being the obvious best, and the combination of incredible speed, impressive and deceptive power, and amazing coverage makes him absolute hell to deal with. With the ability Sheer Force, he is an absolutly terrifying wallbreaker, being able to 2hko most mons with Rock Climb aside from resists and insanely bulky mons like alol and gligar. And even then, you can tailor him to beat most of his counters by abusing his deceptive special power.

Lets get back to his speed though... he outspeeds the entire unboosted tier bar jolteon, dugtrio and sceptile, allowing him to be a natural revenge killer and sweeper. Imo he is the deo-s of RU with great speed, AMAZING mix coverage options and, again, underestimated power.

i dont have any replays (mainly cuz i cant play at all these days) but i still believe he is a huge threat and B worthy.

Uxie for B

Uxie may seems outclassed by Cresselia in every way, but it gets few tools that Cresselia doesn't get.
First, it gets higher speed, 95 Speed is really decent for a support pokemon, it can be useful if you wanna use Trick Scarf Uxie, even if Cresselia's speed isn't bad.
While Uxie doesn't get Lunar Dance, She gets Memento and U-Turn, which is extremely good if you use Dual Screeners.
Finally, Uxie also gets Stealth Rocks. It's pretty nice.

Uxie is a very effective lead that can set up Screens and Rocks against nearly every pokemon in the Tier, and then use U-Turn or Memento.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)