Resource RU Viability Rankings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I'm against Swellow being ranked at all. I played against it with a Venusaur at 51% health, and it did all of 45% with boomburst and then ate a sludge bomb. Hurray! The thing is, while fast Boomburst seems cool, reliably 2HKOing doesn't matter when you don't have the bulk to stick around to snag the 2HKO in the first place. 60/60/50 bulk is TERRIBLE across all costs, without even factoring the SR weakness in. Boomburst, while a great STAB move, only 2HKO's most threats at best and can't get the type advantage. Swellow also needs Specs to barely come close to Exploud's power [Base 50 Special Attack is terrible], but that removes the option for Coverage Exploud has to hit the likes of Mega Steelix without Hidden Power or locking yourself into a move. Well sure, being a faster Exploud with less power is cute, there's almost no reason to use Swellow whatsoever when Exploud is in the tier, due to Exploud eclipsing Swellow in every area but speed. Though you're trading Speed and a Rocks Weakness for power and versatility, so Swellow is never worth it.
I honestly don't care whether or not Swellow gets ranked however you seem to have just missed out on a lot of main points with this post and the main issue is the absurd amount of comparisons with Exploud which ill touch into in a moment. Something else that is shaky is that the venusaur you were facing was most likely defensive or carrying an Assault Vest im still shaky on the tier and i asked what spread were mostly used on venusaur and i was told that this was the main one.

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur: 190-225 (63.1 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Something you also seemed to undersell is that speed. Swellow is only out-sped by three other pokemon, bar scarfers, in RU and that is Jolteon,Aerodactyl and Accelgor which is very impressive from a revenge killing standpoint combine that with the ability to 2HKO the majority of the tier with just slight chip is very nice especially considering you will be using U-Turn until comfortable. Yes Exploud has much better coverage with higher base power moves in Fire Blast,Surf,Focus blast however the moves Swellow has in its arsenal are well enough in Heat Wave and Hidden Power Water (Presumably) as far as roles are concerned i would only compare these two with that access to boomburst however that is all. Exploud is wallbreaker it is supposed to break common cores down with those powerful moves. Swellow is a revenge killer you are not going to come in after say Durant has killed something with Exploud its too slow and you would want to preserve its HP for when it is able to come in with little chance of it being worn down or straight up killed however Swellow is faster and has the ability to OHKO it with ease.

if it were to be ranked i would agree C or maybe C- is more fitting as the points to have this thing ranked at all are reasonable enough in my opinion.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Sup people time for me to make a nom for the first time in a while. I've been messing around with this guy a bit lately and it's proven it's worth for C+ rank IMO.

Trevenant from C to C+

I've been using this guy on a HO team with spike stacking accelgor as an offensive spinblocker. With Blastoise being the most reliable spinner these days Banded Trev is quite a good spinblocker to it since it really doesn't care if it's predicted and foresighted on unlike stuff like spiritomb (and a mismagius nom a while back) since it's still preventing the spin and proceed to OHKO with a banded wood hammer (252+ Atk Choice Band Trevenant Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 414-488 (114.3 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Also can help wallbreak alomomola on a hyper offensive team helping pave the way for something like sharpedo to clean up. Thus Trevenant has a decent enough niche ATM to justify a rise in one rank IMO.

Sup people time for me to make a nom for the first time in a while. I've been messing around with this guy a bit lately and it's proven it's worth for C+ rank IMO.

Trevenant from C to C+

I've been using this guy on a HO team with spike stacking accelgor as an offensive spinblocker. With Blastoise being the most reliable spinner these days Banded Trev is quite a good spinblocker to it since it really doesn't care if it's predicted and foresighted on unlike stuff like spiritomb (and a mismagius nom a while back) since it's still preventing the spin and proceed to OHKO with a banded wood hammer (252+ Atk Choice Band Trevenant Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 414-488 (114.3 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Also can help wallbreak alomomola on a hyper offensive team helping pave the way for something like sharpedo to clean up. Thus Trevenant has a decent enough niche ATM to justify a rise in one rank IMO.
As with any nomination of trevenant I have to bring up that gourgiest can also come in on blast and fear nothing it can throw at it and can burn, poison, or just outright kill with a few seed bombs. While still spinblocking and spreading burns for your team when the opponent realizes blast cant do anything to gourgiest and it gets forced out. In comparison trevenant doesn't stack up against blast very well because your answer to it should not fear switching into scald and being burned.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
The difference between Gourgeist and Trevenant is that Trevenant packs a big punch and is used as an offensive spinblocker, not a defensive one like Gourgeist. Trevenant doesn't give up the momentum that Gourgeist does. Also Trevenant doesn't fear scald that much because of its ability: Natural Cure.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
As with any nomination of trevenant I have to bring up that gourgiest can also come in on blast and fear nothing it can throw at it and can burn, poison, or just outright kill with a few seed bombs. While still spinblocking and spreading burns for your team when the opponent realizes blast cant do anything to gourgiest and it gets forced out. In comparison trevenant doesn't stack up against blast very well because your answer to it should not fear switching into scald and being burned.
Adding on to what Rattled Snakes had said gourgeist does care if it gets toxicd or scald burned since by itself has no way to remove status whereas trevenant has natural cure making it not care too much about status since it can just switch out and heal it off. Also gourgeist doesn't really have much offensive presence whereas trevenant has base 110 attack + an extremely spammable 120 BP STAB move as it's disposal.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

C- ---> Unranked
Honestly Scyther is a burden to use such right now. I mean with that major weakness to stealth rock it can definitely make teams carry some sort of hazard remover which may be completely unnecessary if the team doesn't need Stealth Rock removed, even if it to make sure your Scyther isn't taking half damage upon entering you'll have to make it your chore to Rapid Spin, unless you want to use Scyther as a death fodder. Scyther niches contain these: U-turn, STAB Aerial Ace, Pursuit and Quick Attack. Ummm that literally is it unless you. So you are going to tell me you would make yoursefl more weak to Stealth Rock, have a less bulkier pokemon, and have less speed for pretty much a slightly different movepool. You could bring up the arguement that it doesn't miss but look at the power cost of that.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 155-183 (55.1 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 117-138 (41.6 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Scyther is hardly worth the time to use and shoulldn't be used at all unless you intend on building around.

edit:

C+ ---> B-
Yeah yeah this thing just got put onto the VR and such and I'm already trying to get it up. I am well aware that it doesn't take hits that good just because of that mediocre natural bulk. But what I have found when teambuilding now is that Mawile is a good choice for most standard teams. Compared to the other amount of C tier pokemon Mawile Checks and Counters a lot of common mons. Also having multi-utility as Swords Passer uses stuff like Mola and Guss as a liability if Mawile isn't needed to check the opposing teams Tyrantrum (this is just an example.) For the sole reason of that you can actually put it on a team without building around (like MNette for example) makes it well more viable. But after this I don't see it going any higher.

Last edited:
I don't really have an opinion on scyther, as I've faced it only once or twice and personally have never used it. However, I can get get behind the Mawile rise. Awesome form of role compression with the SR+SD pass set to help stuff like sharpedo and scarfed Tyrantrum shear through teams without looking back. Fairy types are kinda rare in RU, even with the drop of Diance, and they can definitely be useful for blanketing a lot of stuff. Mawile can also take a hit from durant, which isn't a common ability among fairies and is really solid if your team is already shaky against it. Intimidate does make it a little easier to break past with braviary, which is a downer for a defensive steel, but I still think that it's good enough to warrant a rise and is considerably better than a lot of the stuff that's found in C+

Scyther: Completely Agree. As a physical bug-type it's outclassed by Durant in most regards except getting U-Turn and is a Fighting Check, which isn't helped by a 4x weakness to Stealth Rocks, so it takes 50% from coming in, and its only reliable niches, SD Pass and U-Turn both require you to switch out, meaning if you want to do it again you have to go to a hazard remover first, remove the hazards, and switch out into Scyther... only to switch out again with U-Turn or Baton Pass. Scyther can also barely touch Mega Steelix [Brick Break does around 20%], and while U-Turn does respectable damage, especially with band, the forced switching hurts Scyther far more than it helps it. Scyther should be unranked because, while still effective under the right circumstances, has too much competition.

upload_2016-1-26_17-41-52.png

Eviolite Magneton is actually pretty good in this metagame right now, largely due to Magnet Pull. Since most Mega Steelix are running Toxic over Roar to cripple bulky waters and bulky Defog Flygon, Magnet Rise allows Magneton to trap and remove Steelix easily with a Hidden Power of its choice, which can help facilitate a sweep for a teammate like Calm Mind Meloetta or Diancie. HP Fire variants can also remove Escavalier, although it needs prior damage if it holds an Assault Vest and has Drill Run. Magneton also provides useful defensive synergy by checking Pokemon like Fletchinder and Diancie (although watch out for Earth Power). Magneton gets worn down pretty easily due to the Spikes weakness and the lack of reliable recovery, and the nasty weaknesses to three very good attacking types in Fire, Fighting, and Ground do it no favors, but Magneton is effective enough in this metagame to warrant a rise to B IMO.

phantom

Banned deucer.
updates:

Weezing up to B-
Garbodor up to C+
Scyther Unranked
Mawile up to B-
Magneton up to B- (can move higher provided more discussion, but this was one of the the things that really needed to be fixed)
Torterra down to C
Durant taken off conclusion reached. I was planning on doing this by the end of the month, but I got bored and felt like updating the list now. Note: if this thread turns to shit for the eighth time as a result of Durant discussion, it will go right back on to conclusion reached. Don't fuck it up.

Discussion points:

Sharpedo up to S or stay in A+
Musharna up to C (or higher) or stay in C-
Magneton up to B or stay in B-
Gurdurr down to B+ or stay in A-
Abomasnow up to A- or stay in B+
Sneasel down to B+ or stay in A-
Gallade up to B+ or stay in B
Smeargle down to B- or stay in B
Glalie (mega) down to A- or stay in A

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
A strong case can be made for
in S; it is about as constricting as Scarf Tyrantrum for offense to play against. Both its offensive stats and STABs are very threatening to offensive teams and even certain balance teams, and it even has workable coverage moves such as Ice Beam, Zen Headbutt, and Aqua Jet to help it pick off what it wants to. It may require some prep work to get going, but it is definitely a threat that should be factored when making any team, and worthy of S Rank.

should remain in A-; with all the Dark spam going on, being the fastest of the bunch makes it stand out, and it has the STABs to terrorize many offensive Pokemon as well. Spammable Dark and Ice STAB off a fantastic Speed tier is great, and it can simply choose between Low Kick, Ice Shard, and especially Pursuit to pick its targets. Sneasel has also benefited from Venusaur's presence, which is not only a great ally as it takes advantage of nearly everything that would bother Sneasel, but is also an easy target as Venusaur is starting to replace Tangrowth's position on some teams, which helps as Sneasel has a far easier time getting rid of Venusaur than Tangrowth.

On the other hand,
's presence in the meta is starting to decline. In terms of the immediate attacker position, Mega Glalie is sandwiched between Mega Abomasnow or even regular Abomasnow, whose advantage against Water-types, notably Alomomola, Slowking, Blastoise, Qwilfish, and Jellicent, gives them better wallbreaking potential, and Sneasel, which is always an option for a fast Ice-type attacker that does not cost the Mega slot as well as having less issues against Steel-types due to Low Kick or Dark STAB. Mega Glalie especially suffers since its super-powerful Ice attacks are not as necessary (or indeed, excessive) when it comes to breaking down the popular cores nowadays, weakening its niche. Recently people regard Mega Glalie as more of a hyper offensive Spikes user than as the fearsome wallbreaker / holepuncher it used to be, and its ranking in A- should reflect that.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Sharpedo up to S or stay in A+

Okay this was something I was suspecting to happen but really didn't want to. Sharpedo as a pokemon is very prominent and threatening in many ways. It has one set pretty much containing Water/Dark/Ice/Protect with it either being special or physical and often runs a mixture of both. This is very hard to prepare for and makes it all the more diverse because your opponent may reveal Crunch, but they only revealed Crunch you still can't be sure if this is full physical or what. Not to mention is carries Destiny Bond on occasion which means it can successfully use its frailness to its advantage while also being very unpredictable at times as Sharpedo's role as a revenge killer means it already comes in after a fallen. With all this diversity comes some down sides. THIS THING CAN NEVER TAKE A HIT, also it is hard walled by most water-types and examples being Alomomola and Blastoise. It also can't just kill Grass-types w/o chip damage. Other than that this thing is hard to deal with. It can make team building hard and is definately something every team needs to prepare for if they want to stand a chance. At the moment I would have to this thing is meta defining enough to justify S rank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigilyph up to A+, or even maybe S. Now, it's possible that I don't know what I'm talking about here, as I only recently started playing RU and mostly did UU and OU before, as well as randoms. However, Cosmic Power/Stored Power/Roost/Psycho Shift with Flame Orb can sweep teams with ease. The only counter to a Sigilyph once it gets set up is a Dark-type, and even then Sigilyph can tank quite a few hits when boosted properly. Dark-types won't even fully stop it, as it can just Psycho Shift a Burn onto it to cripple physical attackers and whittle them away while it spams Roost. I guess you could run Punishment against it, but who runs that? Hell, the only thing I can see that could stop it properly is Houndoom, or maybe Dragon Tail M-Steelix (but that isn't exactly common). Or by leading with a fast Taunt or a Taunt off Drapion, I suppose. I did almost miss that. It would be pretty easy to let it get up to +3 with a little mistake (lead with it, CP first turn, you get to +2 if they switch or +3 if they try to set up). After that, it's just a matter of spamming Stored Power and Roosting where needed. I'm not saying it's a good choice to use against something like Drapion, because it's not, and you're going to want another counter; what I'm saying is that if you've boosted up and you leave it in, it probably won't die immediately, and you can get a burn off before either sacrificing it or Roosting off the damage.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
LOL I'm guessing you're new to RU and I don't want to make fun of that cause it's always nice when new people join the community :] but cosmic power sigilyph is awful. It's easily the worst set you can run with it and while yes it can have success with it in the low ladder it takes a while for it to have offensive presence whereas life orb immediately has loads of offensive presence which makes it so good. Not to mention the fact that houndoom completely fucking walls it to hell and back and there's nothing you can do about it. It's also easy setup fodder for anything that has substitute and you have to hope that you're not critted which considering the amount of turns you're taking up makes it likely to get a crit sooner or later.

TL;DR Don't use cosmic power sigilyph. Use life orb or calm mind. Sigilyph while certainly being a threat is definitely not A+/S rank material.

Discussion Slate Time!

Okay, this one is tricky for me. I've used Sharpedo very extensively and seen the things that it can do. However, I think I'm going to have to go against sharpedo rising. It's an awesome cleaner, but in my opinion it's held back by an unbelievable frailty, meaning it has no chance of sweeping whatsoever if the opponent and something with mach punch or a fletchinder. Furthermore, it's not exactly the worst pokemon to use against defensive teams, but they generally do have answers for it. And once again, frailty comes into play when facing defensive teams, as staples like Amoongus and Tangrowth can OHKO it. I'm not trying to hate on sharpedo, but the fact that it's almost a liability when they have something like hitmonlee on the opposing side of the field keeps it just short of S rank. Certainly one on the best A+ pokemon, however.

Sure, why not? I've never used it to be honest, but bulky CM users are sometimes a little underrated anyway. I'm essentially neutral on this one, as I don't really have experience with it, but I don't think a musharna rise would be unwarranted.

Okay, I'm pretty sure of my opinion here that this thing should rise. The ability to trap and remove Mega Steelix is pretty huge. Also, being decently bulky with the eviolite and having a relatively slow volt switch is just awesome for it. I just think that maggy is a lot easier to fit on teams a many of the pokemon in B-, as it can fill a pretty important role to allow sweepers like fletchinder to break loose. I'm assuming the Magnet Pull+Magnet Rise set is what it's being nommed up for, but the choice specs+Analytic set is just brutal. There is a small amout of defensive grounds in RU in comparison to other teirs, and the ones that do exist (Rhyperior, Flygon) take a crapton from switching in on flash cannon.

I'm sorry for being a bit forward on this, but dear god, drop this thing. I'm not saying it's terrible, it's just certainly not better than stuff in B+ like Delphox. It's probably worse. Yeah, it's bulky. Yes, it's a decent status absorber. It still he has exploitable weaknesses to stuff like Fletchinder and Togetic and its resistance to dark isn't that amazing considering the fact that knock off cripples him. I don't want to get volatile with this one, I just want to express that it should drop.

Don't really know about this one. If it's similar to Maboma, than it should rise.

I was going to do other ones, but I have to take care of counternomming the siglyph nomination above. Prometheus, the set you are mentioning is almost completely unviable in the RU metagame. If you look on the smogon analysis, you'll see the following
smogon said:
"Finally, there is the infamous Cosmic Power and Stored Power combination, also known as the combination that tarnished the Flame Orb set's reputation and potential. The combo is frowned upon as it is criminally weak during the first few turns and is forced out incredibly easily, pretty much throwing away Sigilyph's best traits."
This sums it up pretty damn well. Any other points I could make are kinda already done by WanderingWobbufet. Yeah. Don't use cosmic power Siglyph.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Sharpedo up to S

After using this for some time with a spike stack team this thing can just demolish offense. I literally will look at the team preview, see what needs to be weakened, weaken that thing, and then just finish off the rest of the team with sharpedo. I definitely think it fits under meta defining at the moment since offense needs to have a fletch or mach punch lee to somewhat prevent sharpedo from going out of control and killing everything. And the thing is, it's not dead weight vs stall either. It has good coverage for a lot of things on stall besides for the bulky waters thus allowing it to certainly not sweep but definitely dent stall quite a bit.

Sneasel down to B+

This thing has always been struggling with a meh base attack stat of 95 meaning it'll only be hitting hard if it's hitting super effectively. It definitely has fantastic STABs don't get me wrong including the ever so infamous knock off. But it struggles to hit hard enough making it pretty useless against quite a bit of teams tbh. With Diancie down as well it's just gotten even worse unless you want to lure it with iron tail which sneasel doesn't even have room for. Bulky waters are also a huge problem and blastoise becoming more common because rapid spin only hurts sneasel.

Gallade up to B+

I don't know why this thing originally dropped in the first place. It definitely faces competition from other fighting types in the tier but it's still a solid poke to be honest. Base 125 attack with access to 2 boosting moves it can utilize really well on 2 different sets as well as access to knock off which medicham can only wish it had makes it still a pretty big threat in the metagame if you ask me.

Glalie down to A-

The meta is only getting worse for ice types it seems. :/ Glalie is no exception. It faces so much competition from Abomasnow due to it having a fantastic grass STAB to deal with the water types that would normally just switch in. Glalie has freeze dry but unless you're fully investing in special attack it's still not hitting to hard since it doesn't get any additional boosts besides for STAB whereas IDK vanilluxe at least has life orb or specs making it's freeze dry deal good damage. Spikes is cool but glalie also doesn't really have the room for that either. It's still a good mon but not as good as it's been in the past.

I'm also going to add 2 more noms of my own
Trevenant from C to C+

I just want to mention that again because it seems like I got a decent amount of support going for it so I don't know why it wasn't added to the updates.

Accelgor to B

Sharpedo has indirectly buffed accelgor cause they go great together on a spike stacking hyper offense core. Sash + 3 attacks accelgor can get up spikes and also help weaken teams a bit for sharpedo to clean more easily. Also sash accelgor can also revenge kill an opposing sharpedo if it's sash is intact which can be very useful. Life orb accelgor is also an underrated special attacker which has decent coverage with stuff like focus blast, energy ball, and sludge bomb while being VERY fast and quite powerful as well.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I'm sorry for being a bit forward on this, but dear god, drop this thing. I'm not saying it's terrible, it's just certainly not better than stuff in B+ like Delphox. It's probably worse. Yeah, it's bulky. Yes, it's a decent status absorber. It still he has exploitable weaknesses to stuff like Fletchinder and Togetic and its resistance to dark isn't that amazing considering the fact that knock off cripples him. I don't want to get volatile with this one, I just want to express that it should drop.
Fletchinder loses to +1 Gurdurr, and being knocked off doesn't completely cripple Gurdurr (or any decent defensive mon using eviolite) because it still has a respectable 85 base hp/defense. Knock doesn't cripple it any worse than any other dark switch in, since they're all hyper-dependant on their items (even Aromatisee lol), and it can still function without an item because it has respectable defenses. I think the real trends that have hurt it are the addition of Diancie and Venusaur, both of whom can fit many (most) playstyles and seriously threaten both Gurdurr and whatever switches in. Unsure about a drop atm.

Glalie could drop because its competing with Mega Abomasnow in a meta that has done everything in it's power to counterteam ice-types who can hit water types, and because the offensive builds it fits just aren't as good as they used to be. Sneasel, meanwhile, has benefitted from this somewhat because teams are relying more on Bronzong than Steelix+Mola cores to check ice types than ever before, but I sort of feel it was ranked too high to begin with.

Regular Abomasnow is essentially a less bulky, faster version of the mega without soundproff (snow warning is a godly ability early game and I would not drop it on SD) and I agree with a rise and sort of feel it deserved a rise to A- a while back ago tbh.

Sharpedo's crazy coverage gives it an incredible matchup versus a lot of teams. Extreme versatility makes it nigh impossible to cover in one slot without using specially defensive mola or like ferroseed (physical with zen headbutt has an incredible match vs offense teams that think they have it covered, special already eats offense and specially-included mixed is even worse for a lot of balance teams). It is hard to revenge without priority and aqua jet sets can punish you when you think you're safe. Def agree on S.

not invested enough to make comments on anything else

We could build an entire team out of these discussion points:

Sharpedo: Honestly, I don't think this should go to S... yet. While Special Shark is Terrifying, you need a speed boost to outspeed a lot of threats to Sharpedo, and at least two to outspeed Chlorophyll/Swift Swim/Sand Rush users and Accelgor [I think.]. On top of that, while Sharpedo is amazing against frailer teams, Sharpedo needs to hit for SE damage to take out bulkier teams, and is walled [and KOed] by a lot of things, even those not meant to be attacking.

252 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aromatisse: 208-246 (51.2 - 60.5%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sharpedo: 414-488 (147.3 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In the end, Sharpedo doesn't have enough Power to take out Bulky teams, but is amazing vs frail teams after a speed boost or two, but it's too frail, weak to common priority, and needs +2 to beat certain mons, so it shouldn't rise yet.
Ignore this. Shark for S.

Musharna: I haven't used this at all, but I imagine its presence on TR teams or with it's CM set. I could see it going up, but I haven't used it so I can't realistically comment.

Magneton: Magneton is well and beyond deserving of a rise. It can reliably OHKO most of the Steel types in the tier, and with Magnet Rise, it removes the horrendous 4x Weakness that it suffers. HP Fire KOes all the steel types except invested Bronzong [I think]. Magneton is an amazing Steel Trapper and removes steels for things like Fletchinder to sweep through teams, and should rise to B.

Gurrdurr
: Haven't used this one either.

Abomasnow: This one's in a strange position, where with Soundproof, you can switch into Exploud's Boomburst [something really hard to do.] but needs 252+ Speed to take advantage of it. On the other hand, with Snow Warning, you can disrupt weather teams without using a mega slot. I think it should rise, but I'm not really sure.

Sneasel: Should Stay where it is. Ice isn't good, frankly, but Sneasel is probably the best ice type. Ice and Dark are great STAB moves, and Sneasel is already fast enough to count it. While it does often need SE to OHKO [like Sharpedo] Ice Shard/Knock Off/Low Kick provide amazing neutral coverage. Sneasel should Stay in A-.

Gallade: Wish I could say I've gotten around to using this, but I haven't.

Smeargle: Awful Stats + Only 1 Niche means this should drop. Being OHKOed by everything without sash and often opening up a switch-in for dangerous Grass types is massive.

Mega Glalie: As I said before, Ice is awful, and Mega Glalie is eclipsed by Mega Abomasnow, unless it packs spikes, which Accelgor does better without taking a mega slot.

Sigilyph: CP + Flame Orb is terrible, Don't use it.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, my turn for my thoughts on stuff I have experience with:

Sharpedo: I view Sharpedo as one of the "big 5" threats that you have to prepare for. The others are Tyrantrum, Mega Abomasnow, Mega Steelix, and Durant. If you don't prepare for those and see them in team preview, you flat out lose unless the opponent doesn't know how to use them. The problem for Sharpedo is its frailty. This is where opinion can be split a fair bit. Is that frailty enough to keep it from S rank? For me, I don't think it does. Thanks to Speed Boost, Sharpedo can run physical, special, and even mixed sets with great ease since it can run an Attack / Special Attack boosting nature without many drawbacks. Virizion is viewed by many as the safest answer to Sharpedo, but physical sets with Zen Headbutt drop it immediately. Aqua Jet rips apart Fletchinder and does a pretty big number on Hitmonlee while often beating Absol since it makes Sucker Punch fail. Mixed sets with Crunch and minor Attack investment get past Meloetta. The biggest problem is that Sharpedo will only come in off of a KO where it can get a revenge kill, making it nearly impossible to surprise it with something like most other powerful threats in the tier currently. Overall, Sharpedo has enough going for it to be S rank imo. It has enough variance on its moveset to catch typical responses off guard with the right move and it can absolutely trash any team archtype that isn't stall if given the opportunity.

Abomasnow: Why was this down 2 ranks below its Mega counterpart? Abomasnow is just a faster, frailer version of its Mega counterpart with the exception of the fact that it can't really use SD that well. I honestly think that normal Abomasnow does the special set better than Mega Snow in a lot of situations just due to the higher Speed and equal or slightly higher attacking power granted by Life Orb. It's a great mon that can definitely catch some teams off guard, especially those that use Pokemon between the base 50 - base 70 range to tank hits expecting Mega Snow. Worthy of A- rank and this thing should never have dropped to NU. What were we thinking? lol

Sneasal: Sneasal is fine right where it's at. Great Speed tier and STAB combination that can make it very difficult for teams to handle without something like Alomomola or Diancie around to tank it multiple times. Basically plays like Sharpedo with better initial Speed, access to Pursuit, and less firepower. It's a good cleaner that can also act as a revenge killer and wallbreaker of sorts thanks to that STAB combination and Low Kick. Also, Pursuit is bae. Stay in A- rank.

Gallade: Why was Gallade ever dropped to B rank? I mean, I know Medicham can do a lot of things better than Gallade, but access to Swords Dance and Knock Off are kind of big. SD + 3 Attack with Life Orb can ruin a lot of teams thanks to the firepower and ability to boost. Like, it literally gets a kill vs. most offensive teams without question and absolutely destroys balance and semistall teams. That's not even considering the fact that it has Bulk Up and solid Special Defense to work with. It's generally overshadowed by Medicham, but that's really the only reason Gallade should be down in the B ranks. B+ rank is definitely more fitting for it. Overshadowed by Medicham, but otherwise perfectly usable and dangerous.

Glalie (Mega): Mega Glalie just kind of keeps on deteriorating I feel like. You have Sneasal for your fast Ice-type which also comes with Pursuit and the ability to pressure most Steel-types due to Knock Off + Low Kick. There's Mega Abomasnow and normal Abomasnow for slower wallbreaking Ice-types. And then there's Mega Glalie just kind of sitting int he middle. Base 100 Speed isn't bad by any means, but it's not great for an Ice-type with only average defenses. Its main niche is as an offensive Spikes user, but even then, Accelgor generally does it better thanks to that blistering Speed stat that lets it beat Tyrantrum and Medicham. It's not that Mega Glalie is a bad Pokemon, but it just has a lot of competition to deal with. Still very good, but has a lot of issues in the current meta. Drop to A- rank.

Sigilyph: Don't ever use CP Sigi ever. It's countered by every Dark-type ever and is just asking to be hit with a crit. A Knock Off ruins the set because then it can't stall Dark-types. If you want Flame Orb shenanigans, use Calm Mind Air Slash so you can at least hit everything and be threatening offensively quicker. LO and CM sets are solid, but not worthy of A+ or S. CP isn't even worthy of use. Keep it where it is. Solid mon tho.

Accelgor: Ok, why is Accelgor B- rank? I really actually do want an explanation for that. I mean, I get that Venusaur becoming the main wallbreaking Grass-type over Tangrowth doesn't help much, but it should still be B rank. The Life Orb Spikes set does so much for offensive teams in this meta (beats Scarf Tyrantrum and Scarf Medicham) and has a lot of different options for that 4th moveslot (Bug Buzz FBlast and Spikes are absolute musts) in HP Ice Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb. While not the best choice for a non-Scarf cleaner on offense, it's probably 3rd behind Sharpedo and Sneasal while also setting Spikes for these teams and revenge killing next to everything slower than Scarf Medicham for offense. It certainly has its drawbacks (super frail, 4MSS, etc.) but Accelgor is great on offensive minded-teams for saving a teamslot or two.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
The set you want to use on musharna is thunder wave + healing wish.
And i'm of the opinion that glalie is still almost just as good as mega abomasnow, with some spatk invest glalie can break through mola(hp fire lures durant/escav, etc) Spikes Glalie is crazy threatening as well since it's checks are bad on the reliable recovery end of things, it's decently fast too for such a fearsome wallbreaker.
0 SpA Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 120 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 204-240 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
That + the fact that keeping at least one layer of spikes up is stupid easy and you have a ~somewhat~ less threatening version of abomasnow thats faster and can get up hazards

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Sharpedo should definetely rise to S rank. It basically destroys any offense team not packing enough priority to weaken this thing, and against bulkier teams, it just needs some hazard support and a couple of teammates to help weaken the walls, and then it just wins. Another cool thing I've tried is NastyPass Togetic into Sharpedo, which is just nasty. A +2 Sharpedo basically kills any wall that could possibly wall it otherwise, and is a great late-game cleaner or wallbreaker. Overall, Sharpedo's incredible matchup against many, many teams with it's few weaknesses make it a top threat to look out for, and therefore S rank is definetely a good spot for the shark.

Uhh why is this thing still in B-? The LO set provides so much for hyper offense and offense due to it outspeeding a good amount of the Scarfers out there, and it still has good power to boot. There really hasn't been any meta changes hurting Accelgor, so I really don't know why it hasn't risen yet. Rise it to B/B+.

Oh yeah, Accelgor. Accelgor's huge natural speed, power with LO, and Sticky Hold so it can't lose the life orb, and even spikes for a lead set. Accelgor offers so much to offensive teams with great STABs [including Bug Buzz to break through subs] decent coverage, ridiculous speed [even getting past certain Scarfers], and option for spikes to be a lead and make sure it's never truly useless. The world may never know why Accelgor didn't rise last time, but it need to rise to B/B+ this time.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sharpedo up to S: The more the metagame progresses, the more influential this mon becomes to the point that it is easily S rank based on the offensive potential alone. It can run a multitude of offensive variants with mixed, special and physical being all legit options and all which have pretty different checks and counters. This mon alone have brought yache berry to a much more relevant points for some grass types that can take a special hit from it naturally (only virizion can do that, still falls apart to ice beam after prior damage), aromatisse and physical defensive fairies lose to special variants, meloetta dies to a crunch on mixed variants etc etc. When the most consistent response is poliwrath, that speaks for itself, you know how dominant this mon is. Even though it needs pivoting support cause it cant switch into anything (unless you want to save it for the lategame) its presence is extremely scary. Definitely agree on S for this.

Gurdurr to stay in A-: Excellent win condition and offensive glue to balance and bulky offense alike. One of the best dark checks the tier has since it can sufficiently check mons like absol, physical shark variants, drapion and the rest of the dark types by itself. A fighting type that fletchinder cant revenge kill is hilarious and soft checking a huge amount of physical threats like tyrantrum, some durant variants and company is absolutely valuable. Diancie and venusaur hurt it a bit but they hate losing their item to a potential knock off to begin with so isnt that bad. Enough to keep it A- since dark types are so so threatening nowadays.

Sneasel to stay in A-: This one is a bit tricky since the archetype sneasel thrives against that is offense is seeing less and less usage lately but this mon is actually really good still and the fact that it can provide important utility and a pretty neat offensive check to a good amount of threatening for balance which the whole reason why it fits on this archetype and a really good STAB combination. Being the fastest type pursuit trapper in the tier means it has the easiest time trapping psychics by not forcing a 50/50 on mons like sigilyph and can check mega abomasnow, mega glalie and virizion by outspeeding them which is huge. Bronzong seeing more usage over mega steelix in some teams means sneasel has more of a reason to stay relevant. Sneasel can also run iron tail for diancie tbh since the trade of iron tail over low kick is still good since it still hits mega aboma and opposing ice types while nailing diancie so it is good all things considered. Stay in A-.

Abomasnow to A-:
Base form is really good, the extra speed is a really major factor since it can aim to outspeed tangrowth, seismitoad, aggron and a good couple of mons that go around that 50-60 speed tier. It being quite stronger than the mega thanks to being handle to hold a life orb and snow warming to chip away potential resists is really good. Trading speed for bulk is a pretty nice trade, and being able to run another mega while having a faster, not as bulky, but relatively stronger version of the most threatening mega in the tier is pretty nice. Up to A-.

Smeargle down to B-
: Its niche has lost a lot of value lately with offense and heavy offense usage decreasing notably and it just being a pretty bad pokemon in general right now. Able to run everything but only 4 slots mean it really has to choose what to run on the 4th slot since 3 slots are mandatory. Between explosion, lunar dance, extra utility move, etc, etc is annoying (though I do believe explosion is the best one). Drop it to B-

No opinion on the rest. Havent used musharna at all and have been thinking and using mega glalie and gallade a bit but not enough to make a good judgement out of them.

Cheers!

I think Sharpedo should be S rank as well. It provides the same stress to offense that Scarf Tyrantrum does while having even less revenge killers because of the constant boost of speed. Neither one of the priority using Pokemon that beat it switch in. I'm not a huge fan of Aqua Jet so I won't credit it too much as an option. It's highly difficult to prepare for, and not only can it sweep but Sharpedo can serve as a wall breaker mid-game. It's able to 2hko every wall after rocks (as proven by the Aromatisse calc earlier lol) so it isn't dead weight vs more defensive teams like I often feel Scarftrum is at times. Looking at the definition of an S mon, its definitely versatile. Sharpedo has to run Hydro Pump on every set, but otherwise the choice of Dark Pulse or Crunch, Ice Beam, Poison Jab and even Zen Headbutt means that it picks its counters and checks. Therefore I think S rank is a good place for it as it can act as both a wall breaker and a late game sweeper with minimal support.

Okay, okay, sorry, I'm dumb. I just have managed to pull out a surprise win with it, because - due to the fact that everyone thinks it's crap - nobody expects you to run that. Usually, they'll attempt a switch to some special tank like Spiritomb or Bronzong, and I can usually get one boost off. One more, a Roost to undo whatever they did, and possibly a third if I'm feeling greedy, and M-Glalie becomes the best and possibly only counter (besides Houndoom, of course).

...On the other hand, this is a surprise win, and it all falls apart as soon as anyone takes a cursory glance at it. So yeah, I'm just dumb, ignore me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)