[RU] VoltTurn (peaked #12) [REVAMP!]

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello people! XY RU is fun as hell, with several playstyles being viable and very dangerous, meaning I have to prepare for them. But I have to come up with a playstyle of my own first! Seeing as stall, Trick Room, Sticky Web, etc. teams have already established their roots in terms of Pokemon, I decided to try an underutilized strategy: VoltTurn. Here is my take on the playstyle.

Swellow @ Toxic
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
People go on about Boomburst Swellow, but special Swellow is a scrub. Sure Boomburst is pretty strong, but there is another move it has with 140 BP, and that is Facade. Swellow's combination of speed and power is absolutely glorious, and is the main Pokemon I built this team around. Its Facade is enough to OHKO plenty of speedy threats, and it is naturally fast enough to outpace Scarf Emboar, and OHKO that with Facade too (not even Brave Bird), because why not, Swellow is a stronk bastard. Brave Bird rarely gets used due to the sheer amount of recoil it induces, but is important for hitting Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Escavalier, and Cofagrigus that Facade won't be able to handle. U-turn is incredibly useful as it allows Swellow to keep momentum against Pokemon that hardwall Swellow and make the appropriate switch into one of the two Swellow partners that can break apart defensive cores, which we will get into later. Quick Attack is nice for priority and prevents Swellow from being picked off easily by opposing priority, especially Sucker Punch. Pursuit may be used though, as it traps Delphox and Mismagius without much hassle, and can finish off weakened targets. Swellow is easily one of my greatest weapons against opposing offense, and is a core member of this team.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 Spe / 72 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
A criminally underrated Defog user, and is probably the best user of Defog an offensive team can ask for. Its STABs alone hit a lot of problematic Pokemon that my Defog lovers would love out of the way, such as Slowking and Gastrodon for Delphox, as well as Rhyperior, Cresselia, and Doublade for Swellow. Knock Off and Sucker Punch are Shiftry's main attacking moves, hence the heavy investment in Attack which really helps in bolstering Sucker Punch's power. Most bulkier targets will flee from Shiftry's powerful moves, giving it the chance to Defog, and if it doesn't need to Defog it can focus on breaking some holes into the opponent's team, not giving up offensive momentum in the slightest.

Milotic leaving the tier impacted Shiftry somewhat, since it now cannot boast as being the only Defogger unafraid of a currently non-existant threat. This means that Leaf Storm is slightly unnecessary now, so it has room for other more spammable Grass moves such as Giga Drain, which will see more use over Seed Bomb since it does more damage to Rhyperior, as well as keeping Shiftry healthier for future Defogs, although it will be nowhere near as strong as Leaf Storm is (and offensive presence is the reason to consider Shiftry over other Defoggers), especially without investment, which makes it more difficult for Shiftry to harass teams.

Rotom-S @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Air Slash
- Pain Split
Rotom-S, or FanTom as I like to call it, has a lot of resistances my team appreciates, namely Bug, Steel, Ground, Grass, Fighting, and most importantly Flying. This makes it the Escavalier switch for the team, and also takes on the musketeers as well as Tornadus. The EVs and Bold nature allow FanTom to survive a +2 Stone Edge from the musketeers, while the rest go into SpD to better weather Tornadus's assaults. Aside from that, it has all it needs to be a successful member of the team. It has Volt Switch which allows it to pivot, while Will-O-Wisp targets any Ground-types wanting to block Volt Switch and also cripples physical attackers, most notably Cobalion, Hitmonlee, and Druddigon. Air Slash is FanTom's main out against Lum Virizion, while Pain Split helps to keep it healthy. Rotom-S is a strong contender on the team due to its solid resists, bulk, and pivoting capability.

Clawitzer @ Expert Belt
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse / Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- U-turn
Much like Shiftry + Moltres, This is Swellow's partner in crime (though Shiftry can also work well with Swellow), but for the most part whenever Swellow catches its counter on the switch with U-turn, Clawitzer gets the chance to do its dirty work. Its Mega Launchered simply blast through the majority of defensive walls in RU. Slowking, Gligar, Rhyperior, Reuniclus, Registeel, Bronzong....all of them just drop dead. Clawitzer also matches up wonderfully against almost every Stealth Rock setter and Trick Room setter of the tier, which you may recognize would be pretty big obstacles for my team to handle. Further solidifying his spot on this team is its access to U-turn itself, which I bet most of you weren't even aware that Clawitzer is capable of learning. Clawitzer does have some safe switch-ins, namely bulky Grasses and Waters, especially Amoonguss, but if Clawitzer nabs them on the switch with U-turn, bulky Waters will come face to face with Shiftry, while Grasses face the wrath of Swellow. U-turn Clawitzer is also one of the most effective ways to activate Toxic Orb Swellow while maintaining an advantage over the opponent, which is why I forgo Protect on Swellow (which I feel is a waste of a moveslot anyway). I have considered Ice Beam and Sludge Bomb though, not just for Grass-type switch-ins but for other targets as well, such as Druddigon and Trick Room Aromatisse, but U-turn and its main attacks are far too good to pass up. I will consider Scald over Water Pulse though, since 'slightly weaker power + burn' far outweighs 'slightly stronger power + confusion'. Clawitzer is highly valuable on this team.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn
Since Raikou's departure, I have switched back to an offensive spread to give Rhyperior some jaw-breaking power. Base 140 Attack and Rock + Ground STAB is very powerful: Earthquake is Rhyperior's best damage dealing move, while Rock Blast takes out SubToxic Moltres as well as the occasional Ninjask :/ . Megahorn skewers bulky Psychics and hits Shaymin + Tangrowth harder, although Roar can be used to force out stat boosters like Bulk Up Gallade or Belly Drum Slurpuff.

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo
Delphox was pretty much the Choice Scarfer I was looking for, and boy I had been missing out on her. She solves a lot of the issues I had with fast attackers such as Rock Polish Rhyperior and Shell Smash Omastar that Swellow won't be able to handle, and serves as a backup check for speedy threats should Swellow not have Guts activated yet. Fire Blast is Delphox's most powerful attack, scoring a strong blow on any non-resist, and roasts such attackers as Durant and Cobalion. Psyshock is used over Psychic due to its ability to OHKO Virizion, and also hits specially bulky Pokemon harder too. Grass Knot allows Delphox to OHKO speed boosting Rock-types. Switcheroo rounds off the set, allowing Delphox to switch moves afterward and cripple an unwilling recipient such as a bulky booster or defensive Pokemon, meaning that Delphox, as a Choice Pokemon, is not even deadweight against stall, instead even proving vital in breaking it. Delphox is a very competent player of the team.​

Current Threatlist:

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Toxic / U-turn
- Roost

Moltres's main use is to cover Shaymin and Escavalier, while launching crazy powerful 110 STABs that few Pokemon in the tier can barely take. Moltres boasts incredibly strong offensive presence, since its STABs are very good for punching holes into things, what with Fire and Flying being awesome offensive types. Life Orb is my item of choice, though Leftovers is a tempting option even with the notable drop in power, but for now I'll use Life Orb. Roost is standard fare for Moltres, giving it good survivability. Toxic is nice for screwing with bulky Waters, though sometimes I feel U-turn can also be used since it can allow Shiftry to come in against its most favorable matchups in Water-types and Rock-types, letting it Defog or simply wreck the opposing team. While Moltres has nice resistances, it fails to stop any musketeer that has Stone Edge, and I wanted to cover Tornadus as well. Moltres may come back when things settle down.

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Raikou was mainly thrown on here since I felt I needed a Choice Scarfer (for stuff like Yanmega and Sharpedo), a Volt Switcher, and most importantly a Tornadus switch-in. I put Aura Sphere there since Raikou is for want for coverage, and since Scarf made up for Rash's lack of a Speed boost I thought it would be acceptable (hint: not really). It did allow me to revenge kill some Fighting-weak threats such as Cobalion, Meloetta-P, Mega Abomasnow, and opposing Heliolisk though. Hidden Power Grass was favored over Hidden Power Ice, mainly because HP Grass targets are more common, and HP Ice targets can be Volt Switched out of anyway. Well so much for Raikou, may you prosper in UU.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
Virizion makes a very nice partner for the Swellow + Clawitzer core, as Virizion resists their Electric weakness and handles bulky Waters for them. Moltres also appreciates Virizion resisting all its weaknesses, and responds in kind by blasting literally every defensive threat Virizion struggles with, such as Amoonguss, Shaymin, Tangrowth, Escavalier, and Doublade. Virizion gets things going with Swords Dance, and uses its strong dual STAB combo to rip things apart. Whatever its STAB combo does not hit, it either Stone Edges (Moltres and Delphox) or lets Moltres or Swellow deal with it. Lum Berry lets it set up on status, namely Scald. A very strong addition, but risks clashing several weaknesses with Shiftry, which I dislike, and further opens up a Tornadus weakness, which I really dislike. A way to deal with Tornadus and keep anti-hazards around would be extremely nice to have.​

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 148 Spe / 108 HP
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Return

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA / 148 Spe / 108 HP
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Surf
Slurpuff is a good win condition, and helps to blaze past certain speedy opponents, and the Fairy typing is very useful due to its Fighting resistance. The Speed EVs allow me to outrun neutral natured Sharpedo and Yanmega even after Speed Boost, meaning they cannot check Slurpuff. The choice between BellyDrumPuff, which boasts explosive power and sweeping potential, and Calm Mind Slurpuff, who can afford to come in earlier in the game and set up while being harder to outright wall due to its coverage, is still up in the air.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk / 84 Spe / 172 HP
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Will-O-Wisp
This thing is disruptive as hell. While I may have trouble playing against it, the same can be said for the majority of players. Mega Banette can either be super predictable by alternating between its Destiny Bond and attacking move, or can throw in one of its two auxiliary moves to mix it up a bit and catch you off guard. Either way, Mega Banette is not easy to play against, and almost always does something in any match, unless you fuck up its Mega evolution somewhere along the line. It also provides Fighting immunity as well as blocking Rapid Spin, which is pretty handy. While the above moveset is fairly standard amongst Mega Banette, I actually have considered Protect on it just to ensure I survive the turn to be able to use Prankster. Since Mega Banette's main job on this team is to prevent setup sweepers from steamrolling me, being able to access Prankster DBond without worrying about trying to Mega Evolve Banette safely throughout the match is extremely crucial.​

Probable mentions:
Yanmega - offers a nice win condition with Speed Boost or breaks walls with Tinted Lens Specs, but maybe I'll use it on a less Flying-saturated team. It also does not help very much against opposing speedsters either.

Pranksters: Pranksters may be able to solve my speed control problems in a big way, and offer their own form of support as well. Liepard has Thunder Wave, Encore, U-turn, STAB Knock Off, Pursuit, and Sucker Punch; Whimsicott has Stun Spore, Tailwind, Encore, U-turn, Leech Seed, Light Screen, Trick Room (to reverse Trick Room), Taunt, and Memento (no setup sweepers). The problem is fitting these support Pokemon in a team that is supposed to be pretty offensive, and most of its members are hard to replace. Even Raikou, who is currently the LVP, is an important Tornadus switch-in.

My attempt at VoltTurning! Offer some suggestions if you have any!

Last edited:
Amazing team and btw the moment i saw this was a ru rmt i expected the shiftry :P just one thing why not flame orb over toxic orb?

Toxic orb is better if Swellow is going to be switching regularly. This is because on the first turn toxic damage will be less than the burn damage. Burn damage is always 1/8th (12.5%) of your max HP each turn while toxic damage will be 1/16th of your max HP on the first turn and will double each turn (1/16 on first turn, 1/8 on second turn and so on). This is why toxic orb is better if Swellow is only going to be active for 1-2 turns at a time.
Nice team by the way :D

Hey Punch, I'm Umaigod. I'm here only to tell you that I've posted my RU team, and if you want to give me some advice well... I'd really really appreciate them very much :)

Sorry if I don't say anything about your team, but I'm too new to RU, and I won't be any help ^^'

Toxic orb is better if Swellow is going to be switching regularly. This is because on the first turn toxic damage will be less than the burn damage. Burn damage is always 1/8th (12.5%) of your max HP each turn while toxic damage will be 1/16th of your max HP on the first turn and will double each turn (1/16 on first turn, 1/8 on second turn and so on). This is why toxic orb is better if Swellow is only going to be active for 1-2 turns at a time.
Nice team by the way :D
fair enough the one problem is if you keep swellow late game but thats very true

I'm pretty sure Raikou was just banned from the RU tier. This changes your team for the worst. I'm not sure which Pokémon you could use instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)