Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Pokémon Contest sidegame

Status
Not open for further replies.
R/S/E Contests are better than gen 4's excuse of a side game.

You actually need to plan your moves somewhat to actually get ahead and there are combos that can be done to score massive points.

So how many contests have you won with one mon?

I have one who has mastered all 4 cool/tough.

I got every single ribbon on a Banette once just for the hell of it. I plan to do so eventually for my more significant 3rd Gen Mons as well.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ohh... the contests. The good, old contests. How I miss them from the newer games.

They were so... awesome in their simplicity, brilliant in their enjoyability.

I guess you could start with the locations. Because they were placed in different cities all over Hoenn, it gave you an incentive to walk around and visit lots of places in the region multiple times. It made Hoenn feel like a place where things happened, there were things to do in every town. You had an excuse to return to every place, much unlike the towns and cities in D/P and B/W. The contests made Hoenn alive. Especially Lilycove bloomed with the Master Rank hall. You heard about Lilycove long before you got there. It was a place you looked forward to see. And when you saw it, it didn't disappoint. A shame all the contests were relocated there in Emerald, really.

It also made every Pokémon usable for something. You could feed your trusty Dunsparce with PokéBlocks, teach it some nice moves, and it could ace the Contests and rule Hoenn despite utterly sucking in battle. Pokémon such as Sunflora and Seaking could get their time in the limelight in the contests. It gave you something to do with the Pokémon that couldn't be used elsewhere.

PokéBlock making. Oh, how fun, yet challenging, that microgame was. Gather a few friends, and you could make really awesome blocks needed to evolve that ugly fish you found at Route 120. The concept was also simple: Make PokéBlock, give PokéBlock to Pokémon, score lots of points in contest. No need for silly accessories or wacky dancing. Make, feed, win. Easy as.

Then the simple yet intriguing mechanics behind it. I won't go into details here, but oh how I prefer them to the multiple judges and stuff and stuff added in the "Super Contests".

The music. Fanfare!

Then, the paintings. The only thing I missed about those was the ability to take them with you and put in your Secret Base. Still, the sidequest of filling the Lilycove Museum with Master paintings promised some interesting stuff to decorate your base with.

All in all, I LOVED the R/S contests. I hope GameFreak leave them as untouched as possible if they ever remake R/S.

My Harden/Takedown Aggron was able to beat the top rank in all contests in Ruby I believe. Has like 25 Ribbons and all the paintings and whatnot.

Emerald - Blaziken - Ember, Flamethrower, Fire blast, Overheat

1 contest won.....the lowest level......no more :(

I quit after failing the next one 10 times in a row D:

My favorite contest memory would be of a Regice that either my brother or I captured. It won the Master Contest for Beauty in RSE, and later, we brought it forward to DPP. In DPP it, with no changes, also won the Master Contest for Beauty. We have really good memories of this Regice, but they are so much better because they are shared. We might even have this Regice lying around somewhere still. It just goes to show that memories are more special to you when you have shared them with people you love.

I seem to remember getting an Electrode up to Master Rank in every contest once. (It helps once you realise that the bonus for actually matching the type of contest is quite minor except when causing the crowd to go wild when applause, and having mismatched moves is helpful to keep the crowd calm.) It took a lot of retrying until I was lucky, though.

I actually got an Armaldo to win all 20 contest ribbons and all five paintings. Getting the tough painting was hard, though...you not only have to win, you also have to have at least six hearts on the results screen. The opponents you face are subject to the RNG, so don't think that resetting after a failure will get you easier pickings. Ended up replacing something (was it Scratch?) with Ancientpower and eating several losses in order to be able to make that last push.

Do not fuck with the Mud Sport - Water Sport combo, especially in a cute contest. Those two moves powered me the whole way.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember training up a pair of Claydol as they carry a moveset to win any contest without hax. Ancientpower, Cosmic Power, Ancientpower, Secret Power, Explosion is a pretty failsafe set of moves for a fair while that wins most contests easily, though the smart ones are a bitch. Hit a bit of luck and don't have people remove your hearts/make you lose an action and its hard to lose.

I'm working on all Hoenn ribbons on a Latias whenever I think of it, and I think I have everything but Cute and Beauty. Anyone have suggestions on a Beauty set? >_>;

Also, I'd never think I'd seriously reference Serebii, but he has (mostly) good contest sets in the 3rd gen Pokemon of the Day.

mastered all with a blissey, but i wanted to go for almost max in all contest conditions. But i kept feeding my pokemon more on the cute side, so it won't eat anymore. i hope we get to make pokeblocks online..

I got every single Pokèmon Contest ribbon in Sapphire with a Calm Medicham that I caught in Victory Road, and I didn't change the move set at all. If I remember correctly, it had Mind Reader, Psych Up, Hi Jump Kick, and Calm Mind. So epic. :) I used to love these Gen III contests, I miss playing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)