Tournament RUPL Team / Set Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by atomicllamas , what a guy

With another installment of RUPL coming to a close, I'd like to invite everyone to share any interesting teams and / or sets they felt comfortable sharing from their games. Not only does this practice help to capture the state of the metagames played this year, but offers the community insight on the tournament scene bred from them. Any insight that can be offered would be greatly appreciated, so go wild! I'll be compiling the info presented here in the OP as it comes, and hopefully bumping it with the conclusion of the RU Open in the proceeding weeks, so be on the lookout for that as well.

Last edited:

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 96 HP / 216 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Spider Web
- Toxic
- Rest

Everyone should know what he does by now, so I'll just explain the EVs: lives 3 stosses, outspeeds non-creeped umb, atk jump point. Play him like a mon that crushes teams with liquidation and just use the trap combo for stuff that gets in the way. Toxicroak hard walls so keep that in mind.

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Nasty Plot

Everyone should also already know about hp grass salazzle, I just want to toot my own horn about coming up with this / having my players use it since week 1 when I was first learning this meta. The chance of umb 3hko'ing 4 hp salazzle without a crit is 1/4096 so I moved the 4 evs to SDef incase a download P2 decides to make an appearance. Speaking of P2, please don't use oblivious on salazzle if you intend to use taunt (don't use taunt).

Dhelmise @ Meadow Plate / Grassium Z
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
- Rest

Rest dhelmise can shit on a lot of fat stuff, and removing registeel completely is pretty nice (yes you still beat protect variants even without the meadow plate, but you need sd to beat rest regi). SD and Jolly is better here imo, more geared towards being a nasty breaker and taking out even fast umbreons. Rapid Spin is the alternative that my team used with vivillon to put the pressure on stuff like registeel and rhyp which were the most common rockers at the time. Dhelmise isn't a great spinner but it can do the job for a partner like vivi and it works better with the element of surprise (anchor shotting a toxic from regi and then proceeding to kill regi while keeping rocks off), just be wary that doublade now spinblocks him. I like meadow plate's consistency with SD but a well played bloom doom nuke can be really really nice, just choose the item based on the rest of your team / your preferences.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 208 HP / 236 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Originally my idea was OTR, but I realized reuni just shits on most teams way more with recover. I also originally had focus blast but I decided to drop it for CM to make it a bigger longterm threat that also fucks up a lot of stall. The high SAtk and LO allows reuni to hit very hard without boosts and since ur not going for bulk you have more room to be speedy; the given satk ohkos umbreon at +6 so u don't have to risk paralyzing yourself. Obviously the downside of Life Orb is that it can be knocked off and you don't get a perfect accuracy electric nuke, but you should still screw up stall teams even if they go gligar to knock off first because quagsire won't be able to outlast psychic without being complete putty for physical attckers (and even then, sdef drops should allow reuni to collect a few kills). I paired this with DD Dragonium Gon so this tradeoff was fine for me, but i'm sure electrium with the same/similar spread could work effectively.

My favorite teams from the season

Some of my players came up with some cool stuff as well so i'm hoping they post as well :) next season please spare me from the week 1 haxlax.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I didn't play around with a lot of creative sets this RUPL but there's a thing or two I wanna highlight:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Moonlight
- Toxic / Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Taunt Umbreon is not necessarily a new thing, but it is niche and also most people wouldn't run this amount of speed on it but it's worth it imo. Even though you lose out on some special bulk you're still bulky as all hell, and the combination of that bulk, reliable recovery, and Taunt allows it to shut down and defeat a huge array of defensive mons 1v1. The Speed EVs allow for it to outspeed Gligar and Cresselia, as well as Milotic, Mantine et cetera. You can add in a few extra EVs (or only use enough for Mantine but get real) since speed creeping on that speed tier is fairly common and getting the jump on Taunt Chesnaught for example is huge, since you actually beat it if you Taunt it before it can Taunt you. Although losing out on some of its defensive utility may seem painful, it's actually hilarious how many fat balance teams are completely shut down by this set: unable to set hazards, unable to Defog, and unable to boost with slow sweepers like Snorlax and Reuniclus (this is big), they just kinda bend over once their Fighting-type is dead. Moveset is self-explanatory, Toxic makes this set more self-sufficient but Heal Bell gives it better durability in case your opponent uses like Scarf Toxic Salazzle or some shit (and you can Synchronize that shit onto the Toxic user as a bonus), the latter sounds like a lot of fun on a team with Toxic Spikes but I have yet to try it out myself.

Roserade @ Grassium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Since Scarf seems to be more of a thing now, you can bluff that shit easily with that set, then nuke something with an insanely powerful Bloom Doom. Pretty straightforward. You can also use Z-Sleep Powder late game if you want to turn it into a cleaner, although that's very situational and I never actually did it.

Rhyperior @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Fuck Salazzle, basically. If you're wondering why one should use this over Gigalith if they want a rocker that doubles as a Salazzle check, for one Rhyp brings way more to the table for offensively inclined teams imo (Ground STAB, more power, outspeeds and heavily dents slow sweepers like Lax and Doublade) and for two, you can surprise kill Salazzle as it goes for HP Grass, whereas if you run Gigalith your opponent will just switch out. You also can technically tank a Life Orb Seed Flare from Shaymin and a +2 Leaf Blade from Virizion but you probably shouldn't try.

Bewear @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 92 HP / 156 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Here's a set I had a 100% win-rate with this season.

Since I had brought exclusively offense so far in the season, I expected my next opponent to plan accordingly during w5 (fast attackers / veil offense).
Sub BU bewear fit really well vs veil and opposing offense. 92 HP lets you get 101hp subs, 8 def ensures that at +1 def, Adamant gatr can not break your sub without an attack boost. 252 Jolly lets you always outspeed things like aurorus (see my game vs Mazar), pangoro, and can outspeed a taunt from comfey (0 speed). The 156 attack ev's can be moved around depending on what you are trying to prep for (for example, with 92hp + 156SpDef can sub up on mantine's scald).

If you can hold off until around mid game to get +1, lots of "mid game bewear checks" can not revenge kill you. See calc for a few examples

252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Psychic Fangs vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Fluffy Bewear: 101-120 (25 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

This means you can bulk up once again to +2 and then sharpedo can no longer break your sub

252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Bewear: 118-141 (29.2 - 34.9%) -- 11.1% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Fluffy Bewear: 51-61 (12.6 - 15%) -- possible 7HKO

0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Fluffy Bewear: 68-84 (16.8 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-305420 vs Mazar
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-613573995 vs Shiba

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, I went with a pretty terrible record on RUPL since I really wasnt feeling my game after the 1st SM RU game but I had to put the face for the team, and Im fine with that (sorry to my team that I couldnt deliver tho). Still a great learning experience

But enough with the self-pity, wanna share some ideas and teams that I used (more up to date ofc) and ideas that I didnt get to use but felt are worth sharing:

Pangoro @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

Flygon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Protect

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm

Bulky Offense team that I used against EviGaro for RUPL on week 5 that consist mainly on the offensive core of Panda + Flygon that share some common checks and can overwhelm and stuff, Jellicent which is a dope Pokemon capable of soft checking notoriously threatening stuff, Registeel being Regi, Colbur CM Meloetta to lure dark types so Jellicent has an easier time doing its thing, and Scarf Roserade to revenge kill stuff, and certainly a scarfer that I have learned to appreciate. One of the most solid ones I built I feel, and I think I had if I ran +Spe natures on Panda and Flygon but what can you do, great job to EviGaro for a fun game and a great run in RUPL tho.

Comfey @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Triage
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Draining Kiss
- Synthesis

Something I should have brought but didnt have the balls to do so, but I have tried it myself and it is pretty cool. Giving up taunt is huge but paired with the correct Pokemon it is a set that can definitely put in a lot of work. Hidden Power Ground is mainly to punish Salazzle switch-ins that would have a really easy time going into Comfey so it is a certified lure and if you get a calm mind boost, you can 1v1 it without much trouble. Doing a more effective job chipping down Registeel, Doublade and Dragalge for the end game, and being a good partner to Pokmeon like Escavalier which appreciates Salazzle getting removed.

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Roost

Something I pushed for a lot but ended up dropping the idea when I learned Umbreon can Synchro-Toxic you behind a sub (wtf man, busted). The concept still remains the same tho, balance punisher capable of taking advantage of other bulky water types and water resists really easily. It gaining Roost this gen was the icing of the cake for a set that showed in prowess in NU last gen, I feel it can definitely work in here since the bulk in conjunction to Water Absorb makes it have some potential tbh.

And thats it, gotta love team tours. I will return stronger for the next one, thats for sure.

I have another team to share but I want to RMT it so, stay tuned I suppose.

My turn! I aswell didnt had a great rupl run either (lost 2/2 games i got to play) but had a lot of fun building teams for my teammates which all essentially won when used by others than myself. the teams I used myself were already mentioned here (Pandamonium) or just plain bad so thats why there are only 3 teams below

The first team I build was a Triple Taunt Hazardstack team build around cm comfey.

The team itself isnt very spectaculair due to it having a fairly standard bulky spiker with a standard rocker as fire check (Salazzle ran hp ice more often at that time god i miss those times) and a Zoroark + mismagius core. What makes this team interesting is the ability of keeping hazards up 90% of the time due to the acces of a spinblocker and 3 mons with taunt to block any desperate Defog's. Rozes used the team in week 1 using Zoroark very good to lure Registeel in disguised as Comfey which was basically the plan behind adding sd Zoroark.

the RUPL game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-293591
the team itself: http://pokepast.es/48f4d8ae60b5ac5f

Week 2 I was asked to build a team around QD Vivillon of which the end result was actually pretty cool and was used by Zamrock in week 3 against Teddeh.

Vivillon @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

the idea was build a team that would pave the way for either a Vivillon sweep or a Snorlax sweep. Rhyperior functioning as the mandatory rocker, special croak was the special wallbreaker luring in any Doublades that threaten Snorlax and reveng killing any Sharpedo's with Vacuum Wave. Trapper Dhelmise was the innovation of the team functioning as a registeel trapper to make a vivillon sweep much easier. (STEP 1 trap it with anchor shot STEP 2 whip it till it dies and Rest occasionally) Rapid Spin was kinda mandatory due to vivillon. Durant performed as the fairy check. And Snorlax was Snorlax. Win-con, secundary fire check, Status Absorber, filantropist, etc.
The Dhelmise set was kinda a "beta" set and wasnt at its fullest potential due to the rolecompression of hazard remover and trapper. If you wanna use Dhelmise succesfull as a trapper I recommend Swords Dance over Rapid Spin. This ensures that certain 1v1's dont became pp wars.

The RUPL Game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-298569
The Team itself: http://pokepast.es/f02a3b5ff7ebade8

the Last team I build for my teammates was also my favourite and was based around a double panda-core of sd moldbreaker Pangoro and Curselax (Yes Snorlax is a panda!) and was used by HT

Pangoro (M) @ Icium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Now whats so special about this team apart from it having two panda's well when I was talking with evigaro about a potential Z-move for the SD moldbreaker set we came up with SD Z-ice punch Pangoro. With this Z-move Pangoro can get past or weaken a significant amount of its checks after 1 SD. Why specifically Ice punch and not Gunk shot for example? With Ice punch you hit every possible check including Gligar. Chesnaught goes down and Florges takes 82% minimum after 1 sd. Since the core was fairly weak to fighting types like Heracross at the time I added Gligar and Doublade. Gligar can now afford to run u-turn since Hera got banned. This was also the moment were I didnt trust Rhyperior anymore as a Salazzle check so I added Gigalith as a rocker. Scarf Shaymin was added as a RK'er and check for Water-type hazers like Milotic and Mantine.
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Pangoro Subzero Slammer (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 406-478 (107.1 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Pangoro Subzero Slammer (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 296-349 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The RUPL Game:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-301056
The Team itself: http://pokepast.es/ea5672c0f004bb87

Credit also goes to my teammates since they basically made the teams I build shine (better than me atleast lol) and also had some good suggestions for spreads and other small things.

Last edited:
Seems as if no one is posting outside of SM, so might as well throw my hat into the ring. Even though neither me or my team did that well, I had a lot of fun and came out with a positive record (even if it wasn't amazing)! Our team was somewhat dead so I ended up building solo for pretty much the whole tour, so it gave me a chance to kinda rediscover ORAS RU, which was originally a tier I wrote off as bad, but upon playing and exploring it a little more, turns out I had a pretty good time with it.

I tried to get pretty creative with every, building around some (sometimes extremely) unconventional set or core to give myself some entertainment while building, since I could kinda tell early on that our team wasn't gonna be taking it super seriously and i could give myself some room to screw around a bit. Even so, I'm a pretty lazy builder, so my "heat" often ended up next to God's gift to ORAS RU, the scourge known as RegiMola.

Gonna skip right to week 2 since we don't talk about week 1, so:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance

Built around this gem, a classic from DPP (best) UU. If you couldn't tell, this still rocks bulky waters while also being able to muscle it's way past Registeel, while being able to cripple it's actual defensive checks like Weezing and Golbat via Sleep Powder. As such, a team with it needed a different set of tools to support it correctly. One of the main blocks to it was Sigilyph, which I didn't want to simply discredit as a possibility. As such, I added these two as Venu's main support:

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 140 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Standard CB Sneasel and Defog Flygon, with a twist. Flygon's speed EVs are modified to underspeed Sigilyph by one point so it will always be able to bring in Sneasel safely to Pursuit it. Sneasel also functions as a neat way of breaking down walls for Venusaur, as it's fairly hard to switch into and can cripple a lot of defensive Pokemon via Knock Off. Also shreds the more offensive teams with just a little support, so it turned out to be really useful in the end.

the team: http://pokepast.es/7386731e374fc1cf
Notes:
- Diancie's spread lives a +1 Iron Head from non LO Scrafty, as I found myself fairly weak to it. Slowking also runs Dragon Tail with Colbur Berry for this reason. Scrafty needs to be held off until later in the game in most cases, unless you can grab a big amount of damage early on.
- During the actual game, Camerupt was not running the same EVs as I have now. During the game I was easily convinced that Camerupt should be running enough speed to creep Registeel, and that is now reflected in the import.

the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ru-296738
Ended up playing my good friend YABO over EonX, with him piloting his classic Sub + PuP Seismitoad team. The Toad was a big threat from preview, but fortunately the Sub that Camerupt got off forced a ton of damage onto it early on, making it much easier to deal with, since it couldn't get itself behind a sub at any point. Midgame, Vensaur's set threw him for a loop and helped me get into a position where Sneasel could clean up the remainder of his team in the last few turns.

Week 3:

Decided that I wanted to use Scrafty this week. I wanted to give it the most self-sufficiency possible, so I decided to give it Rest, a quick 1 time fix to it getting weakened. Even if it did have Iron Head, it doesn't exactly do a ton to it's main enemy, Aromatisse which Natalie had used the week before. I took a look at a popular strategy in ORAS UU involving Bulk Up Conkeldurr slowly breaking down Sylveon by using it's teammate Empoleon to deny Sylveon recovery from Wish via Roar. So I took the same approach and threw Roar on a Bulky Venusaur. That amounts to the entirety of the thought process on this build, as i threw on regimola and a CB Flygon after i thought of this.

the team: http://pokepast.es/0a6a2adf38625be8
the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-597236327
I made some pretty bad throws here, which I can blame on a mixture of my own incompetence, the DUMB damage calc, and playing at 7 in the morning. It was a great game for the most part, but at crucial times I calced incorrectly and ended up throwing out mons i really needed to win. At turn 63 I calced Golbat taking HJK with Eviolite, which caused me to sack it. Turn 74, I calced +2 Scrafty with LO vs the Uxie and got punished again for it. Certainly not the best showing of mine in the game itself, but i thought the idea behind the team was cool!

Week 4:

I don't know what came over me to think that using this garbage was ok vs a friend (sorry tko i still <3 u ;w;) but I took an ORAS RU approach to a classic GSC strat, para spam + Marowak. I had an unholy amount of Thunder Wave on this team (though i took it off Registeel at the last second). It's a fairly simple strategy, para all the fast mons, have Wak SD on something, and win. I actually feel pretty bad about using this, but I'd feel even worse if it didn't work EXACTLY how I wanted it to this game.

the team: http://pokepast.es/d3b0d38d215ffe8c
the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6ru-300635
I feel bad but Marowak has a 100% win rate this RUPL so...

Week 5:

I was playing lord J0RIS this week so I was already at a severe disadvantage. I took it upon myself to reminisce waaaaaay back in 2015 (a time I would otherwise not wanna talk about) when I played TewMew in RU Open and I was, of course, demolished. There was a certain set that was the linchpin of turning my otherwise decent matchup (iirc) into a massacre that I decided to revive:

Emboar @ Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 172 HP / 96 Atk / 224 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Focus Punch

Quite simple, has a metric ton of HP and SpD to the point where Alomomola Scald and Registeel's Seismic Toss fail to break its Sub. While it smashes regimola, it gets blanked pretty hard by Golbat, which is exactly what I ended up fighting.

the team: http://pokepast.es/a6c94c3d52e2e1d2
the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ru-604267308
Emboar had an alright matchup outside of Golbat, but between that, how threatening SubPup Toad was, and my bad call of not running Colbur Berry on Slowking, the game went from bad to worse pretty fast and i took a hard L. The Slowking set is pretty cool when it does work, especially since Emboar does such a good job of crippling it's main defensive answers (regimola). I ended up using the same Sneasel + slightly less fast Flygon core I did in week 2, since both fit the team decently and being able to neutralize Sigilyph was welcome on this team as well.

Week 6:

This week I decided I really wanted to do something with the Substitute Mega Camerupt I used before and really work on supporting it rather than just slapping the move on it since it was kinda cool. Toxic Spikes work really well with any strong special attacker, and Weezing was a neat pick since it's actually incredibly hard to punish with most hazard removers. I added a Perish Song Mismagius that utterly fails vs any Pursuit trapper that was kinda cool because it spinblocked and I didn't have a retarded enough set at the time so it was the perfect fit. Other than that, regimola is again the best thing to happen to ORAS RU.

the team: http://pokepast.es/e5fc85607417e35d
the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ru-607963760
Got a little lucky at the end which easily sealed the game up, but I do believe I still coulda pulled it out since Drapion + poison likely put too much pressure on Slowking for it to flat out win.

Week 7:

We were 100% out this week so I built a team 20 minutes before I played so I asked what I should bring:

tsrcri' - 07/25/2017
someone give me something HEAT to build around in oras ru
ajna wants to play like now
so i said lemme build a godsquad
Arkri' - 07/25/2017
swadloon webs
tsrcri' - 07/25/2017
omg
Arkri' - 07/25/2017
OR
You bring Facade Hariyama
The Trap God - 07/25/2017
shed stall
Arkri' - 07/25/2017
Bulk Up Facade
tsrcri' - 07/25/2017
omg
Arkri' - 07/25/2017
actually
don't even need facade
just orb bu
breaks everything fat
just need knock cc
tsrcri' - 07/25/2017
i'm doing this
Arkri' - 07/25/2017
put rest in last slot
and have a cleric

So I ended up making this abomination, and had a fairly good matchup so I ended up winning. If you ever use any Hariyama set like this please just use like Bulk Up + 3 Atk or AoA for the love of GOD. Gave Yama a ton of defense for Sneasel or something.

the team: http://pokepast.es/e70ec3aa6a1dc171
the game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ru-608830241

I had a lot of fun for the time I was playing in this, glad I got the opportunity to have my opinion on a tier take a complete 180 as well. Finally going positive in a team tour was a nice feeling too. Special thanks to Pearl (and in turn SilentVerse) for picking me up at the last second n_n

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Well, i know it's not exactly the perfect place to post about ru open stuff as well but some of these were thought out in rupl too so why not. This has been my favorite lower tier for a while now so shoutouts to shake for getting me into it ig, looking forward to building in this meta with whoever ends up on taipans for snake tour.

Sharpedo @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond / Taunt
- Protect

Smth i made with tony that has come in clutch a couple times. Z crunch kills most of the revenge killers of standard life orb, z taunt's cool bc it gives +atk and allows u to stop shit like milotic and mantine otherwise dbond's generally better.

Aerodactyl @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang

Tdk came up with the idea of scarf aero altho i use diff moves. It's like the only swellow check that is a scarf mon, kills flygon with ifang durant with ffang etc

Dhelmise @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Rest

Ppl use sd dhelmise but in reality u dont even need that to shit on registeel bc spin pp stalls it. Solid-ish spinner that abuses of tox rocks gligar too and shits on chesnaught etc

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle / Swarm
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

The only durant set i use after realizing i only clicked ihead with it. Hp fire to kill opposing ant after eq from gligar toxic bc shits broken in this meta and slide for the lizard etc Also started using swarm bc it literally loses every game it needs to hit and i'm mostly using it for defensive synergy/revenge killing so

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Honestly jus posting this one cuz its a great poke on stall bc everybody and their mom use hp grass salazzle to beat it now

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Toxic

This thing has made an appearance in most of my teams nowadays. I wouldn't say its good but still natural cure is amazing in such a toxic-infested metagame and recovery is great for keeping up on checking shit like gligar. Sits on stuff like milotic and is like the only spinner with recovery.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 216 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Refresh
- Stealth Rock

Kinda like staryu except less of a meme and obviously for diff stuff. refresh bc everything has toxic and it allows u to beat spider web spider 1v1 beats grassless salazzle etc

Toxicroak @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spite
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off

This one was already posted in shake's rmt but it helps out stall get around the likes of araquanid and pangoro. Speed for bewear and gunk to make sure it kills viri.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 80 SpD / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Toxic

Good check to like half the meta, i realized it doesn even need ibeam at some pt unles ur rly weak to flygon and hp fire helps vs ant as it still lives +1 spower

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Has like no good switchins outside of lax and gigalith. (calc example: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon in Sun: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
Np hp elec z fire is also great and shits on stall

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
- Aromatherapy

Idk how nobody uses this thing still when it beats like almost every single team that lacks doublade but yeah. U can use fthrower or return over aroma but its good to setup on stuff like registeel

Leafeon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Leaf Guard
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Dig
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kinda like a master lure thing on sun. z dig for regi hp fire for ant

Other ideas i didn't get to try yet were subdd z kingdra subbu braviary specs araquanid with tox hp elec muscle band pangoro 4 atks lo vikavolt with hp ice

And here are most teams i used/built for open/rupl:

scarf aero balance http://pokepast.es/5f51c138ca32f273
staryu spikestack http://pokepast.es/dec9a504c15bedcc
cress galge standard(bit outdated) http://pokepast.es/c281372383e868f1
lax florg BO(milo creeped for ada panda) http://pokepast.es/f240ca7b464249fc
slurpuff offense(used in pspl finals) http://pokepast.es/03859f6c1eb9bde9
webs http://pokepast.es/ed42312acb27aafd

but tldr use more sun use slurpuff and use stall

Last edited:
ill post my teams cus im not that creative and i dont feel like writing a whole bunch of descriptions so ill keep it straight

http://pokepast.es/1d2ee2cdf4cec4ac week 1 - built mainly around passive dmg shit from leech tect min + gigalith sand with kommo-o to break shit and sneasel to cover offense and emergency check dd gon and stuff like that. hone claws durant is fuckin godtier, isnt great in terms of covering the defensive capacities of a steel-type but its not that big of an issue

http://pokepast.es/d8d62ed27d47acaa week 2 -one of my favorite teams, i wanted to rock z fight melo cus after a boost it fucks up registeel which is obviously really optimal for a psychic type, makes stall mu alright. originaly had ep on dian but using figy lax without heal bell is as ive come to learn quite stupid. scarf min is honestly a set ive grown to hate but dd gatr and hc durant are pretty obnoxious otherwise. doublade + lax + mantine is really just a glue core thats easy to slap on. rest lax is probably better here but i was on a figy lax craze at the time of making this]

http://pokepast.es/b5e70fffde050d6d week 3 - teams didnt seem very prepared for cofag since dark-types aside from umb and panda werent that common, so otr cofag seemed like a cool idea, paired with sd hera because it breaks fucking everything. had spikes on this bin but honestly spowder rose is a lot better, allows set up opps for cofag and hera. sr gligar is self explanatory, and comfey is just to be obnoxious. wanted to try max spa as per merus suggestion but honestly the standard spread is better....or you know, run florges because its better. cb goodra seemed sick to use as well since cofag / rose forces in registeel and if its worn down then cb outrage is a fuckin force to be reckoned with. not my best team but a cool one nonetheless

http://pokepast.es/44a514ef9dd9e9c5 week 4 - not going to go into this team cause it fucking sucked, like sub toxic moltres as i came to learn, but hey if you want to make it better go ahead.

week 5 team was not mine

http://pokepast.es/45253e9d26650f9a week 6 - wanted to actually try to prep for stall so i decided to make a team with araq and sd panda. unfortunately there are some things that have a fuck ton of leeway with this team like dd gon and dd gatr, so unless i got prior dmg on it with smth and could check it with durant it kinda wrecks this team. grassium rotom was a set gc told me about in uu and it was good when i rocked it there so i wanted to use it here too, it functinos the same way basically, fucks with rhyp / giga + mantine / milo cores

http://pokepast.es/703eaa0affc4d22e week 7 - dd gon is the shit, so i wanted to use it for the last week i played. smth that can set up for free on non tox gligar is a godsend. believe groundium was on the original team but dragonium is better so u can nuke gligar without locking urself in and sucking up momentum. team is standard fare after that. esca checks fairies and reuni (well checked) and shaymin and knocks shit. protect is for scouting choice mons, pursuit is bad and drill run is meh. chester checks most physical mons and sets up spikes to rack shit up in conjunction with sand and leech seed shit. gigalith, again, does the sand thingy because fuck sun u know. gardevoir is the best scarfer maybe behind antz and could reliably check dragons barring boosted shits. mantine clears hazards and covers other weaknesses. pretty obvious at this stage but spikes + defog is not really a bad strategy.

didnt come up with anything spectacular for sets, but building in this meta over the few weeks was fun overall. reuni should never have been banned but Alas. see u in snake tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)