Sableye

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Overview
########

+Magic Bounce enables it to act as an excellent stallbreaker, hazard bouncer, status absorber, and stop to Taunters all at once, making it an absolute staple on Stall teams
+Great typing with only one weakness and 3 immunities
+Very solid bulk, enabling it to beat the majority of Stealth Rock setters wwith a physically defensive spread
+Many defensive Pokemon (Chansey, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, etc) are completely hopeless against it
+Will-O-Wisp enables it to disable physical attackers.
+Calm Mind turns it into a great win condition which is immune to status, Taunt, and phazing, therefore making it very hard for defensive and even offensive teams to beat
+Can abuse Prankster WoW before Mega-Evolving
+Has an array of utility options including Knock Off, Taunt, Torment, Disable, etc
-Terrible speed can be problematic when trying to stall out opponents
-Lack of Leftovers recovery makes is prone to getting worn down by hazards and Scald/Lava Pume-inflicted burns
-Very vulnerable to powerful wallbreakers

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Calm Mind
ability: Prankster
item: Sablenite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

- Shadow Ball is your main attacking move, it's booted by Calm Mind and has excellent neutral coverage. dark Pulse can be used if you don't want Chansey and P2 to drain you of your PP (you still beat them regardless), but hits Fairy-type switchins, particularly Gardevoir, less hard
- Wisp for disabling physical attackers and setting up on them
- Recover is obvious
- Calm Mind turns Sableye into a dangerous bulky sweeper, after 1 boost it is able to stall out most special attackers

Set Details
========

- Prankster already makes Sableye very useful thanks to Prankster WoW and Recover
- Maxed out HP/Defense to wall rock setters such as Terrakion, Mamoswine, Landorus-T, and Garchomp

Usage Tips
========

- Often to be used as a lead to dissuade the opponent from setting up rocks turn 1, but don't mega too early against offensive teams since a fast WoW really helps in that matchup. Feel free to mega almost immediately against balanced/stall teams.
- Don't mega if there is a physical attacker on the opposing team which your own team is very weak to, so that you can potentially outspeed and burn it and deal with it from there
- Just use WoW and Recover most of the time to wear down the opposition. When you find an opening to sweep with Calm Mind, go for it.
- You can Calm Mind early game though, but use it in a more defensive manner, to avoid the 2HKO from certain special attackers
- If you can, try to Mega and Calm Mind on the same turn : not only do you get a priority Calm Mind, but you also gain the added bulk

Team Options
========

- Hazard removal is actually highly recommended to give it the flexibility of not having to MEvo immediately.
- Tentacruel for spinning on Clefable (one of the only rock setters it loses to)
- Jirachi for Fairies in general
- Pack switchins to powerful wallbreakers in general.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Taunt / Foul Play / Toxic
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

- Knock Off is mainly for the utility, removing items from Pokemon that like to switch into Sableye such as Clefable, Talonflame and Tentacruel.
- Will-O-Wisp is also great utility and team support, making a lot of physical attackers a non-factor and also chipping away at some switchins.
- Recover is reliable recovery and you need that.
- Taunt aids stallbreaking, and it a pretty good move to have even before you MEvo.
- Foul Play stops Talonflame and Mega-Charizard-X from using you as setup fodder.
- Toxic cripples Fire-type switchins as well as Unaware Clefable lacking Heal Bell.
- Torment and Disable are both okay options on the 4th slot but almost never actually come into play.

Set Details
========

- Max HP max Defense to, once again, beat rock setters.
- Prankster is the best ability pre-mega because it gives MSableye priority on its utility moves before it megas.

Usage Tips
========

- Works the same way as Calm Mind for the most part. Lead with it to scare away SR setters, Hold off mega vs offense or teams against you want the Priority Wisp in general
- Abuse Knock Off early on to remove the opponent's items, halping the rest your team deal with the opponent's
- 99% of the time all you need are the first 3 moves, 4th move is very situational no matter which one you pick

Team Options
========

- Only really good on Stall as opposed to Calm Mind which fits on more balanced teams too
-Same as Calm Mind set : fairy switchin, wallbreaker switchin, and Tentacruel are all good

Other Options
########

- SpD Spread for Offensive Heatran I guess?
- Can run non-mega Sableye as a stallbreaker if you already have a mega slot taken, but if you don't have a mega there is no reason at all to use regular Sableye over its far superior mega.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy types**
**Fire Types**
**Wallbreakers**
**Substitute users**
**Tenatcruel**
**Stealth Rock setters that can 2HKO it**

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Defense -> Def
Also, I'd mention in the overview that after mega evolving it's poor speed can be problematic.
I kinda feel that taunt shouldn't be the 1st slash on the second set, mainly because of its low speed. It's much better on non-mega sableye because prankster taunt is awesome, but not too sure.
Not QC, just my 2 cents. Everything else looks pretty good imo

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah the last slot is basically filler on the Knock Off set. The main reason I decided to slash Taunt first is because it has a lot of utility pre-mega, but you're right about it not being very useful since everything on stall outspeeds you and can just get a recovery move off before you Taunt them again so although you do stallbreak more easily with it, you'll probably run out of taunt PP just by PP stalling a Chansey or a Skarmory which takes ages. I'm personally not a fan of Foul Play because it's really situational, it only really helps vs Talon, Zard and I guess Sub Gyara which you should have switchins to anyway (every other physical attacker just gets burnt). These slashes should go either way really, but I should probably emphasize in the overview that the 4th move really not useful at all.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
For the Calm Mind set I think Snarl should be mentioned, to slowly cripple special attackers.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
You're joking, right?
No, it works fine for me actually. It might seem like a gimmick but ok. Sorry, obviously my suggestions suck.
It might seem like one of those "new meta" strategies but apparently lots of other people use it as well. http://i.imgur.com/WweGUiB.png
Yes, I know that is data for 3v3, but I digress. perhaps something like this.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse / Snarl
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Recover
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
ivs: 0 Atk
nature: Bold

Last edited:
Actually, Snarl isn't the single worst thing for you to use. It IS really gimmicky but it does work on occasion. It really doesn't deserve anything more than an OO mention, but it is something of note.

Speaking of OO maybe mean look? I'm kind of scratching the bottom of the barrel but mean look could be used to trap some of sableye's normal counters and allow a teammate to remove that counter or setup on them. It's not something for the Calm mind set, but it could be an interesting surprise for the regular support set.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
in OO mention that spdef handles the likes of lati@s, greninja, and sceptile a bit better than physdef. ive used spdef a bit on a stall team and avoiding crucial 2HKoes after drops is really important thanks to eye abysmal speed. also like you said it handles tran better, but thats not what hes supposed to stay in on.

edit: as pointed out by Srn, it also handles gengar better

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
in OO mention that spdef handles the likes of lati@s, greninja, and sceptile a bit better than physdef. ive used spdef a bit on a stall team and avoiding crucial 2HKoes after drops is really important thanks to eye abysmal speed. also like you said it handles tran better, but thats not what hes supposed to stay in on.
Handles gengar too, very big threat to stall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)