Sableye

As a huge ghost fan, I have been using sableye, as well as the other ghosts, since the beginning. It's sad sableye can't get both Recover and Metal Burst. However, I did think of a good moveset for him.

Sableye@Chesto Berry
Brave
252Hp/136def/136spdef 0 speed IV
Mischevious Heart
Metal Burst
Rest
Confuse Ray/Will-o-wisp/toxic
Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak

With this set Sableye can use Metal Burst at least twice, more if you have heal bell support. With the stats, Sableye will always attack last with Metal burst, but first with Everything else thats to that great ability. If anything survives Metal Burst, a Sucker punch or shadow sneak will finish it off. Confuse ray/Will-o-wisp/toxic all all there to help annoy the bad guys if you don't want to rest it up.

SableSpite
252hp/252SpDef @leftovers
Mischevious heart
Calm

-taunt
-spite
-recover
-will-o-wisp/confuse ray/knock off

Sableye is so cool! When I get B/W I will use her as a lead. She has so nasty movepool and now she can use them well. There are good suggestions and I think she definetly needs Recovery and Will-o-Wisp. My dream come true :).

I always loved sableye and i'll use him as soon as he leaks with his dw ability. Does metal burst get MH priority? Because if yes it makes no sense at all to run it alongside mischievous heart as metal burst has to go last.

Metal Burst is a Physical move, not "Other". It won't get a MH boost. Though, I feel the need to mention the fact that Stall is interesting with Metal Burst, making Sableye the only Pokémon guaranteed to go last with Metal Burst.

Sableye is looking quite usable this generation.
It's interesting that its typing gives it immunities to Extremespeed/Fake Out; forms of priority that would always beat moves boosted to +1 by Mischievous Heart.
Trickery bypasses its mediocre attack and actually allows it to do decent damage against physically oriented foes but there is NightShade as well.
And to top it off the ability and moves just suit his flavour.
Sableye was always cool but now it's worth some competitive attention.

I need this to get released asap because it's perfect for my team.

I'm sold on taunt/recover/wow, but i'm still torn on the 4th move. Trickery or Night Shade for some damage? Not really sure if Trickery works like I think it does; i think it might be a fix for your lack of offense but only if your opponent has an attack stat, whereas night shade will always be fixed damage. Maybe one of the weather moves to counter weather teams? Sunny Day would help out my Urugamoth. Psych Up could be useful to counter bulk-up and calm mind users and you've got burn for swords and dragon dancers. Attract is dead weight half the time.

I'm sold on taunt/recover/wow, but i'm still torn on the 4th move. Trickery or Night Shade for some damage? Not really sure if Trickery works like I think it does; i think it might be a fix for your lack of offense but only if your opponent has an attack stat, whereas night shade will always be fixed damage. Maybe one of the weather moves to counter weather teams? Sunny Day would help out my Urugamoth. Psych Up could be useful to counter bulk-up and calm mind users and you've got burn for swords and dragon dancers. Attract is dead weight half the time.

Yeah, Trickery attacks with your opponent's attack stat so it'll only do great damage if Sableye's target has a high attack.
Nightshade does stable damage but can't hit Normal types.
The fourth slot is always the hardest.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus

Protect could work for gaining some extra health with Leftovers while the opponent loses extra health from Burn. Mean Look could work too so that you can do quite a number to stall teams. Some people use Trick with an Iron Ball to ruin a sweeper. Knock Off can also do reasonably since you get rid of opposing Leftovers to make Burn even more potent. Confuse Ray is one that a lot of people use too.

Knock OF don't get priority? Well it make damage... That or Confuse Ray could be good. Or Sucker Puch if u use taunt. Shadow Sneak isn't so powerful with Sableye. She don't have so much good damage moves but Metal Burst and Payback benefit him poor speed.

I was looking at Sableye, and thought about a Swagger/Psych up setSableye @ LeftoversSwaggerPsych upMean LookTrickerybasically, set up on a special attacker/wall, and steal their Attack boosts... not only that, but due to the move Trickery, the swagger boost will increase damage done due to the opponents swagger boost. it's win win win!

I was looking at Sableye, and thought about a Swagger/Psych up setSableye @ LeftoversSwaggerPsych upMean LookTrickerybasically, set up on a special attacker/wall, and steal their Attack boosts... not only that, but due to the move Trickery, the swagger boost will increase damage done due to the opponents swagger boost. it's win win win!
You are not going to do much with a 75 base attack.

So now he's going off effective 40 base Atk? Maybe you're thinking of Power Trick.
Adamant Shuckle's max attack is 130 so at +6 it has 520 ATK which is enough to make STAB Stone Edges hurt.
Anyway, Trickery and Psych Up seem dubious together since Trickery will not use your attack anyway.

breh

強いだね
So now he's going off effective 40 base Atk? Maybe you're thinking of Power Trick.
Effective base 190 or so, actually.

Regardless, this is a sableye discussion.

I still don't understand what's so great about Sableye. beyond priority taunt, recover, and will-o-wisp, it still has shitty defenses that even Spinda nearly outclasses (assuming max/max it does outclass on the special side lol)... could somebody explain what's so special?

Effective base 190 or so, actually.

Regardless, this is a sableye discussion.

I still don't understand what's so great about Sableye. beyond priority taunt, recover, and will-o-wisp, it still has shitty defenses that even Spinda nearly outclasses (assuming max/max it does outclass on the special side lol)... could somebody explain what's so special?
You just named three fantastic moves, all with priority. What's not to like? If you have trouble with Doryuzuu, this guy can save you with Will-o-Wisp. Same thing with a ton of other non-Fire type physical sweepers. On the special side, it can Recover stall Scarf Sazandora's Draco Meteor. It can hit pretty hard with Trickery, too (based on how many high attack stats are out there).

MH is just a great ability. Sableye might not have the best stats, but Eruffen or whatever is called doesn't either, but it's the moves + the ability that make them work. Not to mention Sableye unlike Jumpluff 2.0 can attack (well to some extent anyway).

In gen 3, Sableye got keen eye, a pretty bad ability. In gen 4, Spiritomb came in to piss all over him. He also got Stall, a useless ability (more of a handicap). However, years later, he finally gets his saving grace in the form of being the only ghost type with Mischevious heart, netting him a niche due to his plethora of support options. However, his stats don't do him any favours, so it's likely he'll end up low UU/NU again, which is sad, because he's awesome.

EDIT: fixed autocorrect typos

Hrm. Has anyone considered a Mean Look set to take advantage of residual damage for Stall teams? Perhaps with Toxic Spike support, you could trap an opposing wall and simply stall it out, Taunting any attempts to heal or phaze you out.

Something like Mean Look, Wisp, Taunt, Recover might work rather nicely with Toxic Spike support. Burn what you can't poison or feign a more typical set, Mean Look a wall like Blissey. Laugh in their faces between Taunt and Toxic/Burn damage. Maybe with some Defensive EVs, so you can take things like Natorei Power Whips and Skarm Brave Birds. Being taunted or Encored would be a problem though, so opposing Sableye and Erefuun would be problematic, and Espeon/Xatu'd be pure hell.

Hang on, why are you using Psych Up to steal the opponent's stat boosts if Sableye doesn't have attacking moves outside of Trickery?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hang on, why are you using Psych Up to steal the opponent's stat boosts if Sableye doesn't have attacking moves outside of Trickery?
If I understand it right, Trickery only uses their base stat (and possibly EVs, etc.), not any boosts.

Been playing with this alot on PO. You have no idea how much it can cripple with priority Trick (Iron Ball) and WoW in the lead position.
It can come back later in the game and WoW Doryuuzu, too, and then taunting it's SD, making it a fairly solid counter.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been up against this thing a few times. Fairly amusing and annoying, and it's actually got a lot of substantial use when compared to Erufuun. Who can only rely on Encore and the move-slot infesting Stun Spore to handle fast set-up threats.

You know, I might just try this guy sometime, but his stats say no at times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)