Pokémon Salamence

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bulky set, mention a spread of 168 HP/116 ATK/88 SPD/136 SPE. This isnt as fast, but you still outspeed scarf lando at +1, and has much more power.

I love using hp ice on defensive rotoms against sub DD salemence. If you predict around the subs and roost, you can easily beat it 1v1.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 44 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost
- Frustration

The spread I've been using. Speed lets you outspeed thundurus before a DDance and more importantly scarf latios after a DDance. EVs makes sure a Rotom-W's volt switch doesn't break your sub and the rest just thrown in overall bulk.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 44 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost
- Frustration

The spread I've been using. Speed lets you outspeed thundurus before a DDance and more importantly scarf latios after a DDance. EVs makes sure a Rotom-W's volt switch doesn't break your sub and the rest just thrown in overall bulk.
Wont you get walled by any defensive rock/steel type? Also leaves you open to bulky elec types switching in so they can HP ice or paralyze you.

Wont you get walled by any defensive rock/steel type? Also leaves you open to bulky elec types switching in so they can HP ice or paralyze you.
Well yeah. You sacrifice some power and a lot of coverage but you can set up on tons more mons. It's a pretty common set.

Well yeah. You sacrifice some power and a lot of coverage but you can set up on tons more mons. It's a pretty common set.
I guess if your team supports it enough and you can manage to take out any threats. Personally, I added Rhyperior to my team just for this thing and all the other bird spammers. I also have an Unaware Clefable with Thunderwave.

Well, since there only one relevant (I use that lightly) Steel Rock type in aggron, it's not all that big a problem. Even then, bulky electrics are easy to bypass, bar the HP Ice on Zapdos, which can be worked around. Rhyperior can be problem because of rock blast, but that set, is arguably the best set Mence can carry. Annoying to deal with and so absurdly easy to set up. That, and the EVs and Nature are entirely customizable.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can "uses up your mega slot" even be used as a con? It always seemed arbitrary to me on any mega set but in this case... what mega would you possibly want to use over megamence? It's ridiculously broken to the extent that it using up your Mega Slot isn't a problem.
It's a legitimate con for Megas that are mediocre or receive competition from non-Megas for their role.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
It's a con as it's the (Very likely only) reason Mega Salamence has a chance to be tested in OU to begin with.
lol i don't think it will be even tested, seriously i have been playing a bit in the oras ladder and this is just too much for the OU meta, needs too much work to be stopped. You try to status it and it subs, you try to revenge kill it with a strong priority and it just survives because of amazing physical bulk, and know what? it can just roost off all this damage and continue the sweep, hitting things absurdly hard with that aerilate boosted STAB and fuckin wide movepool. just quickban it lol

Can someone explain to me why we cant just ban this thing before the official release date? Its not like we wait to ban other pokemon that are obviously broken like Mega Rayquaza, Xerneas, Yveltal, etc. before the game comes out. Also, iirc, we quickbanned Mega Blaziken before X and Y was officially released. At the very least, when ORAS does come out, can we please just quickban this thing and not waste time on a suspect test?

Well, since there only one relevant (I use that lightly) Steel Rock type in aggron, it's not all that big a problem. Even then, bulky electrics are easy to bypass, bar the HP Ice on Zapdos, which can be worked around. Rhyperior can be problem because of rock blast, but that set, is arguably the best set Mence can carry. Annoying to deal with and so absurdly easy to set up. That, and the EVs and Nature are entirely customizable.
Bird spam has caused me and others to run Rhyperior. This set is walled by Rhyperior who is gaining popularity and we still don't know how Mega Steelix will turn out. I think it is risky to run a mega set up sweeper with only one attack. If it works for you guys then go for it, with enough practice and support I'm sure you can get around Rock/Steel types.

Can someone explain to me why we cant just ban this thing before the official release date? Its not like we wait to ban other pokemon that are obviously broken like Mega Rayquaza, Xerneas, Yveltal, etc. before the game comes out. Also, iirc, we quickbanned Mega Blaziken before X and Y was officially released. At the very least, when ORAS does come out, can we please just quickban this thing and not waste time on a suspect test?
Those pokemon are Ubers that get quick banned because they clearly outclass every other mon that serves the same role. Blaziken was banned in past generations becuase it has speed boost, it's mega was banned before release because it still has speed boost. It also has easy set ups that guarantee sweeps. MegaSal might get banned, but for now people are experimenting with it to see if it can actually be stopped. Personally I just use my anti bird spam mons to stop it. Stealth Rock and Ice moves are pretty common too.

Last edited:
Bird spam has caused me and others to run Rhyperior. This set is walled by Rhyperior who is gaining popularity and we still don't know how Mega Steelix will turn out. I think it is risky to run a mega set up sweeper with only one attack. If it works for you guys then go for it, with enough practice and support I'm sure you can get around Rock/Steel types.
Mega Steelix is Steel/Ground.

Does Steel not resist Flying?
Yes, but in that case I don't know why you were pointing it out in particular in the context of steel/rock types, not to mention ground makes it even more vulnerable to megamence with the rare hydro pump.

Yes, but in that case I don't know why you were pointing it out in particular in the context of steel/rock types, not to mention ground makes it even more vulnerable to megamence with the rare hydro pump.
Because I was referring to steel and/or rock types, not specifically steel/rock types like Aggron.

And if MegaSal is running Hydro Pump, then it is running 2 attacks and not the set we're talking about (Sub/DD/Return/Roost). Also, I do not think Hydro Pump is a risk if it just used Sub followed by DD.

For the first few you mentioned, we generally know that Box legendaries have well-distributed stats and good movepools, so if your name isn't Kyurem-Black, it's usually pretty obvious where they'll belong. As for Mega Blaziken, it was basically just an upgraded Uber mon, so it was pretty easy to quickban as well. I think with Mega Sal it was necessary to at least give people some time to play around with it and determine if it was broken from actual experience, not just theorymonning. You will be happy to know that Aldaron started a thread on Victory Road stating his initial thoughts on ORAS tiering, and he currently believes that Mega Sal should probably be quick-banned when ORAS comes out. It's not a super-long post, but you can find it in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-personal-tiering-thoughts-approach-with-oras.3521895/

I'm in disagreement with salamence being as powerful and broken as people are making it out to be. I already use one pokemon that can pretty much deal with its most common set and even though I didn't try these others, I can name a few others that can probably do the same in theory.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
I'm in disagreement with salamence being as powerful and broken as people are making it out to be. I already use one pokemon that can pretty much deal with its most common set and even though I didn't try these others, I can name a few others that can probably do the same in theory.
name them, because i really can't find anything that can deal with all its sets and do it effectively

Just like Talonflame and Azumarill countered Blaziken, eh?
lol

The issues isn't whether it can be dealt with or not. The issue lies in whether or not there are enough ways to deal with it. As it stands, there may be ways to deal with it, but most team types only have access to one or two ways, causing teams to have to carry the same 1 or 2 mons just to deal with a threat that may not even come up. The issue is further compounded by the fact that it runs multiple sets that have few, if any, common checks. For instance, Rhyperior is a decent answer to physical sets, but if it's a set carrying Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump now you've got a problem. So to keep from getting wrecked by its sets, you have to pack at least 2 checks from a very small pool of checks. As far as I can tell, his only checks are Scarfed Greninja, Banded Adamant Ice Shard users (since Jolly ones don't have enough power), Rotom-W, Porygon2, and some BirdSpam checks. If it gets a Dragon Dance or a Sub off on the switch, this list gets smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)