Salamence

yaa but To be honest the reason i stopped using salamence is not because of it sucks. It because that he fail to OHKO doryuuzu with fire blast. Yeah that was so disappointing that time. Now i want to try the mix DD>

Naive 24 SpA LO Fire Blast does 97% minimum to 6/0 Excadrill, a guaranteed OHKO with rocks. Far from disappointing, IMO.

sorry that was BP receiver adamant/jolly mence im talking about. Obviously i use lum berry.
Yeah might use Mix DD later

So...is Adamant or Jolly the better nature for a Mix DDMence, and how many SAtk EVs are sufficient to be useful in average battles?

So...is Adamant or Jolly the better nature for a Mix DDMence, and how many SAtk EVs are sufficient to be useful in average battles?
Unless using it as a shell break recipient, use Naive to at least OHKO physically defensive Skarmory with no evs. Naughty works too I guess, since most scarfers would outspeed Mence at +1 anyway.

/is glad that finally people are discusing the pokemon, not teiring

does anyone have any legit sets that are, 'ya know, not the same old same old sala pwns everything sets? i want to use an untriditional mence on my next team

There's only two problems I still have making a good Salamence.
I've established that yes Dragon Dance, Outrage and Fire Blast are needed but what should the fourth move be? Brick Break, Stone Edge or something else? (given that Balloons will be involved Earthquake's not as useful anymore.)

The other thing is, for anyone who's done random battles on BW, you know you can't take pokemon in holding the same items, so their lies the only other problem since I like to give both Salamence and Lucario(the SD kind) life orbs.

Which of the two would be more suited for the orb?

There's only two problems I still have making a good Salamence.
I've established that yes Dragon Dance, Outrage and Fire Blast are needed but what should the fourth move be? Brick Break, Stone Edge or something else? (given that Balloons will be involved Earthquake's not as useful anymore.)

The other thing is, for anyone who's done random battles on BW, you know you can't take pokemon in holding the same items, so their lies the only other problem since I like to give both Salamence and Lucario(the SD kind) life orbs.

Which of the two would be more suited for the orb?
I don't see why Balloons are deterring you from EQ, but Dragon/Fire is still perfect coverage outside of Heatran, which is pretty common and can't usually OHKO, so you should really just use that last move to deal with whatever you find trouble with the most

Naive 24 SpA LO Fire Blast does 97% minimum to 6/0 Excadrill, a guaranteed OHKO with rocks. Far from disappointing, IMO.
Assuming it doesn't outspeed you. Unless they banned Sand Throw recently or something. Granted Intimidate can help, but still.

Salamence IMO just isn't as appealing as he used to be. He's got a lot of competition now, even if he does have a lot of power. A SR weakness doesn't help much, even if it doesn't stop him from dropping in to DD or fire off Meteors.

So what would you guys say is the absolute best Mence set for this meta?

You have to ask yourself DD or no DD. I think the answer is DD. If you're not wanting to dance you're probably better off using Garchomp. I understand that Mence has some good special attacker set options but I've tried the dracometeor/fireblast etc set and found it under-whelming.

After you've decided if you want DD you have to decide on the nature. Jolly, adamant or a nature to maximize both of his attack stats.

I ask this because I'm having trouble figuring out the exact set for me. I keep getting inconsistent results.

I don't think Adamant is really a good option, due to the speed tier.

Jolly either really, because it weakens Fire Blast, and without Fire Blast your coverage gets much worse (and let's face it - Fire Fang blows).

Go Naive.

I agree though Mixmence has been underwhelming. DD Mix or standard DD seem to be the best.

What about a Scarf set?

Mence@Choice Scarf
252 speed. Need help with the rest.
Naive Nature
~Draco Meteor
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast
~Outrage / Hydro Pump / Stone Edge

I'm with Bludhoundz I think.

DDmixmence
Naive nature
item? Life orb or maybe haban berry?
- DD
- Dclaw/Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

What about a Scarf set?

Mence@Choice Scarf
252 speed. Need help with the rest.
Naive Nature
~Draco Meteor
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast
~Outrage / Hydro Pump / Stone Edge
Scarf Mence is inferior to scarf chomp/scarf latios(even sazandora). it is slower than key scarfers like rand/chomp/latios, it is weaker than all of them, and is weak to sr. Considering it needs to go mixed its a bit too weak to be able to relaibly revenge stuff. Wasn't viable last gen, isn't viable this gen imo

It also hurts that choice users tend to hit and run a lot, and Mence is weak to SR.

That said Specs is probably his best choice set simply because it is the least expected. Band is 100% outclassed by Chomp, Specs isn't outclassed by Latis completely because he gets Fire Blast, while they have to rely on HP fire. That said Latis are still overall better Specs users (Trick, Tbolt, no SR weakness, and higher SpA for Latios).

All mence attack in specs is stronger than Ltios counterpart except the STAB.
In choice term no one can outclass mence even chomp since intimidate is such a great ability

Sally also gets Hydro Pump while neither Lati does (although I'm pretty sure their Surf just about as powerful).

I was just pointing out the fact that having Hydro Pump doesn't give him any sort of edge over his fellow dragons, thats all. I probably should have expressed myself better, though.

I was just pointing out the fact that having Hydro Pump doesn't give him any sort of edge over his fellow dragons, thats all. I probably should have expressed myself better, though.
It does take away an advantage other Dragons have over him though, and Hydro Pump is pretty powerful and useful for a Specs set, especially since it hits those ever present Sand teams for SE damage where none of his other options do on the special side of the spectrum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)