Sally-mence? - An OU Warstory

I would want to see %s, especially on a double-comment story...
9 of 10, shows how unbroken Mence is, being easily played around and used as fodder (mainly because of Intimidate Ability)... Good thing the Lati ban (Chomp is already uber) did provide the stimulus for the use of mence.

The warstory really makes me think one thing: is it worth it to sacrifice Salamence to take out X? It was clear in both situations that Salamence was given the opportunity to attack and die, or switch out and risk dying to rocks/revenge.

Both players chose to sacrifice Salamence, which is only one way it could have gone. What would have happened later in the match if either player had saved their Salamence? Perhaps Jolteon would have revenged the one later on, but only if it didn't manage another DD, but still.

There were a lot more possibilities than what happened.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Its posts like this that show that Mence is strong OU, but not even close to Uber. I hope that the Smogon Council reads this warstory and unanimously votes Salamence OU. This story is almost good enough to be archived.

9/10

I don't get it, you can't really look at the performance of a pokemon in a single battle to justify a move to uber or a stay in OU. You really have to look how it preforms in the long run, 50 matches +, but by how varied mence can be this is simply impossible.

9.5/10 for the warstory though.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On the subject of mence: There are a few people on this thread who realize that one match does not in any circumstance decide the fate of a Pokemon. Just reading down the replies, so many people think that because mence died easy here, he must not be broken. This is false. I have actually never had a problem with mence sweeping me, but the Council can't say "Look at this random player who never had a problem with mence. We should keep him OU". This battle proves nothing by itself.

On the subject of the warstory: It was nice. The formatting was nice. There were some really nice moves, and some not-so-good moves. Double commentary was cool. 8.5/10

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, there is no way one match can say anything about anything. I think that is OBVIOUS to the point where it need not even be said. That is simple common sense.

What a warstory CAN do though, is illustrate an example of the case, and then alot of players can (and have been throughout this thread) chime in and say-- "Yeah, that's what always happens to mence in my matches!" Which is how a warstory can become persuasive-- by illustrating an argument better than simply writing the argument, and being backed by multiple players chiming in on a lot of cases indicating that the illustration is in fact representative of their own experiences.

Which it is. Mence is just "meh."

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So this battle illustrates that Salamence isn't broken because this one dude had a max Sp. Def Heatran with a Shuca Berry lying around just to suicide itself on Salamence? Or because the other dude had a dying Gyarados with Intimidate so he wouldn't OHKO his Machamp the second it got in? lol

If Salamence was "meh", as you put it, it wouldn't even be a suspect. Maybe everyone else is wrong and we should all play our games like this?

Honestly, that is really bad logic and I'm glad people like you don't get to influence tiering decisions.

We saw two instances in which Pokemon had to sacrifice themselves to beat Salamence, both of which are easily prevented with a switch. Explosion killing Salamence doesn't make it balanced. Using a nearly-dead Pokemon's Intimidate to nullify a DD's attack boost doesn't mean Salamence isn't destroying teams on a regular basis. This battle does not gage Salamence's tiering position in any way, and it definitely doesn't refute the years of experience players have accrued to determine that it was indeed overpowering the standard metagame.
It's kind of ridiculous how adamantly you defend your Mence opinion. Always ready to jump on an opposing opinion. Wasn't this type of thing for the Council Thread?

Anyway, excellent warstory.

It's kind of ridiculous how adamantly you defend your Mence opinion. Always ready to jump on an opposing opinion. Wasn't this type of thing for the Council Thread?

Anyway, excellent warstory.
The thing is, I don't think that the majority of players would have played Salamence the same in that situation, which is why there is discussion about how things went.

I personally would have switched if I were either Salamence in fear of Scarf in the first case and after I did the damage calc in the second case. I know a lot of others would have done the same.

That being said, that particular choice in the game by both players wasn't fatal enough to make the warstory bad. I rather enjoyed how it was organized and the double commentary helps see how the game went behind the scenes.

Would you leave DD Salamence at +0 in on a near full HP Machamp with Ice Punch? How about Mixmence at -2 on an unknown item Heatran?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So this battle illustrates that Salamence isn't broken because this one dude had a max Sp. Def Heatran with a Shuca Berry lying around just to suicide itself on Salamence? Or because the other dude had a dying Gyarados with Intimidate so he wouldn't OHKO his Machamp the second it got in? lol

If Salamence was "meh", as you put it, it wouldn't even be a suspect. Maybe everyone else is wrong and we should all play our games like this?
No, the warstory illustrates salamence isn't broken if players say it illustrates their experiences and they agree he isn't broken. Salamence being "meh" is my personal opinion, which again is obvious by my use of "meh," a value judgement phrase.

You seem to have a lot of trouble with these cause and effect issues, as well as following argument in general-- It's annoying to have to spell out every detail that could simply be assumed via my word choices.

As soon as I saw the teams, I could've predicted the winner. The commentary was relatively boring, whilist I liked the format.

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
Oh wow I really liked the presentation in this, although the battle could have been more exciting but it doesn't matter. Overall good read

Decent warstory, I always appreciate comments from both battlers so I enjoyed this one. Predictions were okay as well. 7,5/ 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)