Project Sample Teams for Beginning in the NU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by raseri
idea stolen by atomicllamas who stole it from prem

NU is a versatile tier, with so many options to choose, whether it is the fearsome Pyroar or the bulky Poliwrath. It is because of this reason that new players may find a difficult time building a team that deals with the vast majority of threats in the tier. This thread is designed to help new players introduce themselves within the NU metagame by allowing them to simply take a team that has been tested to be effective by players who consistently play the tier. Of course, there will be teams that will be better then others, but this thread is simply a place where new players can pick up and use a team.
If you post a team, provide a short description of how the team functions, and please include a pastebin of the team in your post to make my life easier. Also please note that this thread is not a archive to put your old teams in, so please do not post your Doublade or Virizion teams in this thread.

[Stage 0- Welcome to the NU age]
http://pastebin.com/bnQ0mtPP

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/EmwqSWdH

I shall begin with my team. The team revolves around Vivillon and its ability to obliterate and cripple opposing teams with its 91% accurate Hurricane and Sleep Powder. However, its fraility makes it difficult to initially set up, so Lanturn is added as a partner to cover Vivillon's weaknesses and to lure in Grass- and Ground- Type moves for Vivillon to set up on. Pyroar is the scarfer and with its base 109 Special Attack, it can easily mop up opposing teams after Vivillion's rampage, and functions as the obvious revenge killer on the team. With all these weaknesses to stealth rocks, Cryogonal is added to spin away hazards that can do a number on my team. Golurk provides Stealth Rocks and with its ghost typing, it creates 50/50s against Fighting-Type pokemon to whether or not to Knock Off to predict the Golurk switch or to Close Combat to predict the pokemon to stay in. Golurk also carries Toxic, which allows me to more easily defeat defensive pokemon. Last but not least, Hariyama is my answer to Fire Spam teams and gives me a resistance to Knock Off, allowing me to switch Hariyama in without fear. It's priority, Bullet Punch, also gives me another way of revenge killing if Pyroar goes down too early. Be careful playing around Spiritomb, which is annoying against this team. This team has some flaws, but it is a decent team for a new player to pick up and begin using. Feel free to change the team to your liking.

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/pu231nUc

Hi everyone, I've got a team for you guys! It's an offensive hazards based team that relys on Fletchinder and Mightyena to sweep. You will almost always lead with Crustle, and try to get as many hazards as you can. Spiritomb is the main Sawk check, as well as spinblocker that beats most of the common ones (has problems with Sandslash, but that can be checked with Cryo and Lanturn). Cryogonal is the most consistent spinner in NU, I dont want to use Defog cause that removes my hazards too. Cryo breaks all common ghosts except for Spiritomb (who loses to other mons), and keeps hazards away for Fletchinder. Lanturn is mainly glue for things that threaten the team, like magneton, and is mainly just a really solid pivot for getting Mightyena or fletchinder in. FLetch and Mightyena are the 2 sweepers, and the one you use depends on the opponents team. Fletch doesnt rely on speed at all, and acrobatics takes down a lot of teams really easily, while Mightyenas Moxie makes it really hard to stop once it gets going. I run Rock Smash on Mightyena cause every other move is shit, and the defense drop sometimes lets you get past bulky mons trying to stall you out (Audino or something) and it hits Probopass harder which is annoying for this team otherwise. You can put anything in that last slot though. This team has issues with CB Sawk, as it relys on getting Spiritomb in and getting pursuit damage on it, or getting Fletchinder to set up on it if its locked into EQ or something. Also has issues with other offensive teams, cause you're just playing rocket tag with them, whoever sets up first will usually win. But it's a lot of fun to play with :D

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll post 2 of my teams here:

http://pastebin.com/Q4iQM01z

Leavanny / Golurk / Magneton / Zangoose / Magmortar / Lilligant

This is a Sticky Web team. Web teams are very good right now because of the nature of the tier. NU is very offensive and web teams can easily take advantage of that by slowing fast and frail opponents and turning them into slow and frail opponents that are swiftly KOd by our powerful wallbreakers. Basically the game plan is to set up webs ASAP, keep them up, and win. Leavanny is probably NU's most reliable webber because it outspeeds and 2HKOs the 176 Spe Xatu spread with Shadow Claw and is faster than most opposing entry hazard setters. Golurk is mainly to spinblock + add SR for the team, and while it isn't the best spinblocker there is, it hits the hardest and was chosen for that reason. Magneton is the compulsory Fletchinder counter and hits p hard with Specs. Zangoose and Magmortar are your standard wallbreakers. Every web team needs a scarfer imo to hit flyers and Levitate users as well as outspeed opposing scarfers; Lilligant was chosen because it could revenge Water-types such as Feraligatr and Barbaracle which otherwise trouble the team, and provide Healing Wish support. I run 2 STABs because Petal Dance allows for easy late-game sweeps while Leaf Storm allows me to revenge something without locking myself in.

The team struggles a bit with Cryogonal but usually a well-timed switch into Magmortar can handle it; Cryo rarely finds time to spin without dying due to how offensive this team is and can really only spin vs Lilligant or Magneton locked into the wrong move.

http://pastebin.com/XppPExvJ

Archeops / Feraligatr / Accelgor / Golurk / Audino / Vileplume

Spikes stacking is also very good because we have such amazing Spikers and powerful threats in the tier. Accelgor is the Spiker chosen for the team simply due to its massive utility. Super fast Spikes allows at least 2 layers a game, Encore means free Spikes and stops stuff like Sigilyph that get greedy, Final Gambit ensures that Pelipper and Togetic can't Defog and takes a huge chunk of health off them. Archeops is chosen because it does late game sweeps very well, and mainly because Taunt helps to prevent Sticky Web teams from setting up webs which are dangerous for the team. HP Grass is there to lure and 2HKO Toad so that Gatr can break through opponents easily. Gatr is just so powerful rn, nothing much to say except it's one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. With Spikes support, not much can avoid the KO from him. Golurk blocks Rapid Spin and sets up rocks. Audino and Vileplume act as the bulky pivots of this offensive team. The former provides Archeops and Gatr with second chances to sweep thanks to Wish support while keeping healthy itself with Regenerator. Encore is used because I don't like opponents that set up on Audino, but can be easily replaced with Heal Bell, Toxic, or Thunder Wave. Vileplume checks Shiftry, Sawk, and opposing Feraligatr and Fighting-types.

This team has slightly more problems with Flying spam and especially Fletchinder, so it is important that Archeops stays healthy to check the birds. Gatr can take a hit from Fletch and KO in return, while Audino can handle Boomburst Swellow.

http://pastebin.com/UvWx6566

Uxie / Fraxure / Seismitoad / Magmortar / Gurdurr / Spiritomb

This team has a pretty basic goal. Find a good moment for Uxie to set up in preparation for a Fraxure sweep. Fraxure was a threat from Gen 5 that is still very usable in XY. Only real difference is Poison Jab is almost mandatory for a guaranteed sweep because of the new fairy types. Uxie's Thunder Wave will create extra chances for either himself or Fraxure to get a free turn of set up. Uxie will set screens, get the Thunder Wave spreading if possible, and then Memento into Fraxure. The opponent will be hindered by the attack drops, and plus screens, Fraxure will most likely be able to get up a Substitute and begin. After roughly two Dragon Dances, it can 2HKO the entire tier with Outrage. You can really use Outrage over Dragon Claw because you can purposely save the two until the end of the battle. The other four members are just pretty powerful fillers. Toad for Stealth Rocks, and Gurdurr because it can just sweep on its own if your opponent isn't prepared. Magmortar is just a very good special attacker, and Spritomb the same but on the physical side.

http://pastebin.com/xLYMVHcz

Hi Guys! :D This team is my best team, and helped me reach #6 on the ladder. Its a balanced team. This team likes switching up on Pokemon! and weakening them, Feraligatr easily sets up SD lategame and cleans up stuff!.Vileplume is very bulky Physical wall Checks the threats like Gurdurr, Sawk, Primeape, Hariyama, DD Feraligatr, Shiftry, Sceptile, Granbull and forces them to switch(beware of icepunch). Probopass is the Special wall of the team, its walls Threats like, Sigilyph, Swellow, Fletchinder, Jynx, Magneton,Specs Dragalge,Vivilon,Chatot etc.. it can take fire spam to some extent,AV thickfat hariyama is more reliable for this job.Hariyama spongers those eruptions and froces those fire pokemon to switch out,and you get a free move!which with right prediction can dent opposing team, Icepunch is to dent vileplume which would like to switch on Hariyama.Liepard is for Knockoff spam, and trapping those annoying Sigilphys, Xatu's and others psychic's,ghosts by pursuit, Encore is Really useful,you just need to switch to an obvious shellsmash, quiverdance, SD, and lock them on to that move by pransker encore,to force the switch out!If a shellsmasher sets up on this team which is weakened most likely the team is gonna be swept! unless you get some effectspore hax.Sigilyph! i love its coverage, icebeam, energyball,heatwave, Psyshock, hits most of the pokemon supereffectively! it is a wallbreaker and can even late game sweep! Feraligatr is the win condition,SD feraligatr is usually bulky so that it can take a STAB move that aint supereffective and Set up SD,or hit hard back! ice punch is to nail Vieplume,gourgiest,make sure they dont interrupt your sweep.Make sure bulky waters are out before attempting to sweep! :D This is a decent team,to begin with,Hope you enjoy playing Nu

I have speed creeped probopass,vileplume,hariyama and given them 8 speed evs,so that they outspeed their own species and some other pokemon!eg:Hariyama and vileplume have same speed,As id be faster with 8 speed evs,i would KO weakened plume with icepunch,and prevent it from healing! it is very important factor during hariyama vs hariyama,as closecombat hits a ton!

http://pastebin.com/UvWx6566

Uxie / Fraxure / Seismitoad / Magmortar / Gurdurr / Spiritomb

This team has a pretty basic goal. Find a good moment for Uxie to set up in preparation for a Fraxure sweep. Fraxure was a threat from Gen 5 that is still very usable in XY. Only real difference is Poison Jab is almost mandatory for a guaranteed sweep because of the new fairy types. Uxie's Thunder Wave will create extra chances for either himself or Fraxure to get a free turn of set up. Uxie will set screens, get the Thunder Wave spreading if possible, and then Memento into Fraxure. The opponent will be hindered by the attack drops, and plus screens, Fraxure will most likely be able to get up a Substitute and begin. After roughly two Dragon Dances, it can 2HKO the entire tier with Outrage. You can really use Outrage over Dragon Claw because you can purposely save the two until the end of the battle. The other four members are just pretty powerful fillers. Toad for Stealth Rocks, and Gurdurr because it can just sweep on its own if your opponent isn't prepared. Magmortar is just a very good special attacker, and Spritomb the same but on the physical side.
Hello, thanks for your team. I have a question: How do you deal with fairy types? You have tons of weaknesses to Fairy on your team and your only resistance, magmortar can easily be warn down by other pokemons attacks and hazards. Your only way of dealing with fairies is fraxure, which itself is weak to fairy types

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello, thanks for your team. I have a question: How do you deal with fairy types? You have tons of weaknesses to Fairy on your team and your only resistance, magmortar can easily be warn down by other pokemons attacks and hazards. Your only way of dealing with fairies is fraxure, which itself is weak to fairy types
Who cares about fairies? The only relevant ones are togetic, granbull, and to an extent, Mr. Mime and carbink. Wouldn't worry too much about them, especially because magmortar should be able to handle granbull and mr. mime and carbink cant do much. I guess togetic could be a pain if it has moonblast or whatever fairy move it gets. I guess this is mitigated somewhat by fraxure poison jab, though I'd go low kick > poison jab

http://pastebin.com/PiWwfJV9

I always like to keep a few rules in mind whenever I make a team. First off, a physical & and special wall. For that I have Curse/Heal Bell Miltank with Body Slam & Scrappy to fish for Paralysis for the physical one. As for the special one, I have the highly-underrated Assault Vest Muk. Then I have a physical and a special threat. I have Choice Band Malamar for the physical one & Magic Bouce Xatu for the special. Finally, I put on two Pokemon for utility. For that, I have Knock Off Leavanny & double powder Butterfree. It's not the greatest team, but I've had a lot of fun with it!

I've faced a Granbull before and the core of Seismitoad and Magmortar has taken it down every time. Fraxure obviously has use for Low Kick, but then Poison Jab is also very useful. It can't really be perfect in that regard, so it's advised to play around with certain threats and try to take them down before attempting a sweep. The other four members are easily powerhouses and can get the job done.

This is a Sticky Web team. Web teams are very good right now because of the nature of the tier. NU is very offensive and web teams can easily take advantage of that by slowing fast and frail opponents and turning them into slow and frail opponents that are swiftly KOd by our powerful wallbreakers. Basically the game plan is to set up webs ASAP, keep them up, and win. Leavanny is probably NU's most reliable webber because it outspeeds and 2HKOs the 176 Spe Xatu spread with Shadow Claw and is faster than most opposing entry hazard setters. Golurk is mainly to spinblock + add SR for the team, and while it isn't the best spinblocker there is, it hits the hardest and was chosen for that reason. Magneton is the compulsory Fletchinder counter and hits p hard with Specs. Zangoose and Magmortar are your standard wallbreakers. Every web team needs a scarfer imo to hit flyers and Levitate users as well as outspeed opposing scarfers; Lilligant was chosen because it could revenge Water-types such as Feraligatr and Barbaracle which otherwise trouble the team, and provide Healing Wish support. I run 2 STABs because Petal Dance allows for easy late-game sweeps while Leaf Storm allows me to revenge something without locking myself in.

The team struggles a bit with Cryogonal but usually a well-timed switch into Magmortar can handle it; Cryo rarely finds time to spin without dying due to how offensive this team is and can really only spin vs Lilligant or Magneton locked into the wrong move.

After playing with this team a bit, I've had some issues with Kecleon. Do you have any suggestions for dealing with it? Is it a problem for this team?

I might just be out of playing NU since we left Alpha, so there's that.

http://pastebin.com/PiWwfJV9

I always like to keep a few rules in mind whenever I make a team. First off, a physical & and special wall. For that I have Curse/Heal Bell Miltank with Body Slam & Scrappy to fish for Paralysis for the physical one. As for the special one, I have the highly-underrated Assault Vest Muk. Then I have a physical and a special threat. I have Choice Band Malamar for the physical one & Magic Bouce Xatu for the special. Finally, I put on two Pokemon for utility. For that, I have Knock Off Leavanny & double powder Butterfree. It's not the greatest team, but I've had a lot of fun with it!
Defensively wise, I see one huge problem: Half of your team is weak to Rock-Type moves and you have no resistances for it. How do you deal with Rock-Types which can destroy your team?

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After playing with this team a bit, I've had some issues with Kecleon. Do you have any suggestions for dealing with it? Is it a problem for this team?

I might just be out of playing NU since we left Alpha, so there's that.
I've not come across any Kecleon, and yeah it sounds slightly problematic. Magneton can probably take Fake Out + priority and do enough damage to Kecleon such that something else can KO it. Zangoose can for instance out-prioritize it with Quick Attack as well.

Defensively wise, I see one huge problem: Half of your team is weak to Rock-Type moves and you have no resistances for it. How do you deal with Rock-Types which can destroy your team?
Malamar's Superpower
Leavanny's Leaf Blade
Xatu's Grass Knot
Miltank can tank several hits and muscle down just about any rock type.
Also, I sometimes replace Butterfree with Ditto.
But even with that, Archeops & Armaldo seem to wreck my team sometimes. Going back to my original post, It's not perfect, but I've had a lot of fun matches with it.

Malamar's Superpower
Leavanny's Leaf Blade
Xatu's Grass Knot
Miltank can tank several hits and muscle down just about any rock type.
Also, I sometimes replace Butterfree with Ditto.
But even with that, Archeops & Armaldo seem to wreck my team sometimes. Going back to my original post, It's not perfect, but I've had a lot of fun matches with it.
I'm not aiming for perfection, but rather dealing with notable flaws of the team, which in this case, is being weak to Rock-Types.

http://pastebin.com/CLxRjiAL - Powerhouse HO Team. Set up rocks and punch holes into shit using Jynx Primeape and Shiftry. Afterwards Omastar and Swellow easily clean shit up.

http://pastebin.com/JfGiqKvY - Cool Team, Kinda Random builds. Built around Treecko's GothGear core. Offensive Qwil is a win. Set up hazards, use SD Goose + Goth to tear crap apart. Gear and Freezer win.

http://pastebin.com/SX4pTpkh - Spikes HO. Self explanatory, use Ape to block hazards, don't ask about encore pls. Sceptile + Jynx attacking core is underrated as hell, wrecks shop.

http://pastebin.com/Bknx6M1c - Standard Offense. Functioned really well in the earlier metagame. Focuses on Sawk / Spiritomb / Xatu offensive core, as offensively they tear each other's checks to shreds, leaving most teams dead as hell.

http://pastebin.com/tjM4qp3k - RMT Team V1. Read my RMT lazy bastard.

http://pastebin.com/tLTK0RLS - RMT Team V2. Are you illiterate.

http://pastebin.com/T1KzAXju - GATR Team. Its gatr time gg.

http://pastebin.com/jQHYx7wf - Bulky Offense

http://pastebin.com/WQig5HpG - Surprisingly good DragMag. Focuses on a Fraxure sweep. Crustle reliably sets up hazards, and Magneton easily traps steel types and kills fairies. Mismagius revenges stuff and Altaria just breaks shit down. If need be clean with ludi.

YEH BITCH WAT YOU KNOW ABOUT MANY TEAMS I got 10 more might share but kinda wanna keep them to myself cause they are better than most of this shit lol.

Jonater i don' t have more time to describe sorry bb.

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/CLxRjiAL - Powerhouse HO Team
http://pastebin.com/JfGiqKvY - Cool Team, Kinda Random builds.
http://pastebin.com/SX4pTpkh - Spikes HO
http://pastebin.com/Bknx6M1c - Standard Offense
http://pastebin.com/tjM4qp3k - RMT Team V1
http://pastebin.com/tLTK0RLS - RMT Team V2
http://pastebin.com/T1KzAXju - GATR Team
http://pastebin.com/jQHYx7wf - Bulky Offense
http://pastebin.com/WQig5HpG - Surprisingly good DragMag

YEH BITCH WAT YOU KNOW ABOUT MANY TEAMS I got 10 more might share but kinda wanna keep them to myself cause they are better than most of this shit lol.
Provide a description on how each team functions, please.

http://pastebin.com/65Yajva6 (Magneton EVs are kinda random)

A team I've been using, I know it has some major flaws (I can't deal with zangoose/kangaskhan and fire spam, I just have to play super aggresive and always have the momentum) but I peaked 1603 #5 so I decided to share. Basically I try to wear down the other team, specifically using Magneton and Vileplume (sleeping and switching, also double switches) to keep my momentum because they both switch into a lot of things in the tier. Once they are worn down, I attempt to clean up with Double Dance Torterra, SD Shiftry and Fletchinder. You have to be careful to save Golem, Shiftry and Fletchinder in case you need their priorty as checks vs fire spam or normal spam and Sigilyph. On paper this team seems pretty bad but it's been working for me.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-132238269 Torterra sweep (knew as soon as I got up rocks I won)
if you search skinnywhitepimp there are other games using Sigilyph instead of Fletchinder
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-132687729 Torterra sweep, trying max attack Spiritomb over Fletchinder

Finding much more success with max atk Spiritomb over Fletch

Last edited:

Archeops / Feraligatr / Accelgor / Golurk / Audino / Vileplume

Spikes stacking is also very good because we have such amazing Spikers and powerful threats in the tier. Accelgor is the Spiker chosen for the team simply due to its massive utility. Super fast Spikes allows at least 2 layers a game, Encore means free Spikes and stops stuff like Sigilyph that get greedy, Final Gambit ensures that Pelipper and Togetic can't Defog and takes a huge chunk of health off them. Archeops is chosen because it does late game sweeps very well, and mainly because Taunt helps to prevent Sticky Web teams from setting up webs which are dangerous for the team. HP Grass is there to lure and 2HKO Toad so that Gatr can break through opponents easily. Gatr is just so powerful rn, nothing much to say except it's one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. With Spikes support, not much can avoid the KO from him. Golurk blocks Rapid Spin and sets up rocks. Audino and Vileplume act as the bulky pivots of this offensive team. The former provides Archeops and Gatr with second chances to sweep thanks to Wish support while keeping healthy itself with Regenerator. Encore is used because I don't like opponents that set up on Audino, but can be easily replaced with Heal Bell, Toxic, or Thunder Wave. Vileplume checks Shiftry, Sawk, and opposing Feraligatr and Fighting-types.

This team has slightly more problems with Flying spam and especially Fletchinder, so it is important that Archeops stays healthy to check the birds. Gatr can take a hit from Fletch and KO in return, while Audino can handle Boomburst Swellow.
both of these teams are really fun to use and i find playing with them really fits my playstyle. i agree with the other person about kecleon but its manageable imo. thank u for sharing these :]

http://pastebin.com/L6YP7eaS

This is a Sticky Web team built around the concept of using Healing Wish Mesprit to let Zangoose 'sweep twice'. I chose Masquerain as my sticky web setter due to its ability to surprise things like lead Seismitoad and hurt common spinners/defoggers such as Sandslash and Shiftry. Intimidate can also always come in handy in a tight spot, if you manage not to lose Masq turn 2. Life Orb Sawk to break walls, chosen over CB because it eases prediction and puts a lot more pressure on opponents when web is out because it cannot be stopped through smart switching. Electabuzz as the flying counter, Fletchinder in particular, with Eviolite because it allows it to revenge +2 Feraligatr and Boomburst Swellow. It's also naturally fast enough that I can afford not to run a scarfer, which I feel wouldn't fit the structure of the team. Standard Zangoose, though in this team he is meant to be played more recklessly since Mesprit can Healing Wish him back to full later. Mesprit, as mentioned, for Healing Wish support which would ideally be Zangoose but could be any other mon (I've even used it on Masq one time) as well as rocks and to help vs bulky fighting types, which the rest of my team tends to have trouble with. Spiritomb is to trap Xatu and Cryogonal so Masquerain can do its job as well as checking things such as Sigilyph and Mismagius, which are otherwise huge threats to this team.

This team has worked pretty well for me and it was a ton of fun to use. It struggles vs opposing sticky web and things like Hariyama and Gurdurr, though I can't seem to make a team that doesn't have troubles with those two.

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://pastebin.com/JPFFRPNR
[Too lazy to get little Pokemon sprites]

This is my old team, it got me pretty high on the ladder and actually has some pretty good synergy. This team is centered around Mismagius. Crustle almost always leads, attempting to set up Stealth Rock and hopefully full Spikes. Note that Knock Off and Rock Blast are both listed for their ability to take out opposing leads. Altaria and Qwilfish are just meant to be switch ins for special attackers and physical attackers, respectively. Moonblast and Heatwave on Altaria are actually altogether pretty stupid, I don't really know why I used those. Toxic was run to hit switch-ins, while rest was used with Natural cure to completely recover. This Altaria set did surprisingly well against Sigilyph. Intimidate and Thunder Wave on Qwilfish crippled sweepers like Feraligator or Sawk. Uxie was used to punch holes in the enemy team mid-game and to Trick Choice Specs onto bulkier stall Pokemon, generally interrupting gameplay even more. Gurdurr helps to deal with Normal-types and Steel-types that wall Mismagius. But Mismagius was at the core of it all. It would come in at any point on a Thunder Waved or a crippled Pokemon, get behind a Substitute and use Nasty Plot once. From there, it could OHKO most Pokemon, and with entry hazards it had little trouble getting through most things. And there you have it.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
OK so I gave this team to a lot of people already (including my fren aim ), and Raseri kinda pushed me to post it in here too so let's go.

http://pastebin.com/dZHvqMLF

I made this team 2-3 weeks ago while I was looking to build around some underated Pokemon, Omastar and Haunter, to kill time. Ended up being more successful than I though (I'm probably (over my multiple alts) ~85-20 just to give you an idea, but again it is just PS ladder after all).

Anyway, this is a simple Spike Stacking HO team based around Specs Typhlosion punching holes into the opponent's team to allow either Shiftry, Feraligatr or Gurdurr to break through.

I like Omastar as a lead mainly because of Stealth Rock, which more popular leads such as Qwilfish and Accelgor can't do. Unfortunately it can have problems preventing a Defog from coming (unless you want to run Stone Edge > Ice Beam with a Naive nature (it works very well against Mantine and Cryogonal)), but I tried my best for this team to give as little opportunity as possible without having to use Stone Edge so it comes down to preference there.

Choice Scarf Haunter is actually my glue, as it gives me a good answer to Togetic (which walls both Gurdurr and Shiftry) and a good revenge killer in general (it's faster and stronger than Rotom and its STABs have amazing neutral coverage in NU). The only problem with Haunter is its frailty, which can sometimes pose problems, but can also come in handy thanks to Destiny Bond. Togetic (the main reason Haunter is here in the first place) is mostly used on slower teams, so make sure to Trick the Choice Scarf away asap when you bring it in on their Togetic to make it easier for Haunter to work!

Now for Shiftry, Feraligatr, and Gurdurr I'll cut it short; standard sets, when possible you set up and try to do as much damage as possible to give an opportunity for the next sweeper to break the opponent's team. Shiftry is my Electric-, Water- and Psychic-type resist, Feraligatr is my Fire-, Ice- and Water-type resist, and Gurdurr is my main switch in to Normal-types (mainly Kangaskhan, which this team struggle against), my main switch in to Knock Off (Gurdurr actually doesn't care much, don't worry), and my Rock- and Dark-type resist.

And finally Choice Specs Typhlosion is here as my Wallbreaker and a way to lure in Dragalge with Extrasensory (it does over 50% to 252/0 Dragalge). The set is pretty straighfoward; Eruption and Fire Blast for its STAB (Fire Blast when its low on health) and to do as much damage as possible, Hidden Power Grass to hit Rhydon/Lanturn/Other Water-types, and Extrasensory for Dragalge. You can also try Eruption / Fire Blast / Hidden Power Electric / Focus blast if you feel like Pelipper and Mantine are too annoying for you, but you'll do less to both Lanturn and Dragalge, which can give this team trouble if they are healthy.

As for threats to this team, the most annoying ones are Mesprit, Uxie (both of them are annoying because they often run U-Turn, which Shiftry won't appreciate taking), Sigilyph (always annoying to face with any teams out there tbh), Kangaskhan (You need to play Gurdurr well / keep Feraligatr healthy), and the almighty TOGETIC '+ sludge bomb exeggutor' ( You need Haunter / SD on it with Feraligatr).

Hope this will help some of you guys!

EDIT: with Slurpuff in the tier, Poison Jab over Bulk Up is probably preferred on Gurdurr so that you give Slurpuff the less amount of opportunity possible to sweep you (it LOVES to set up on Gurdurr)!

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/JPFFRPNR
[Too lazy to get little Pokemon sprites]

This is my old team, it got me pretty high on the ladder and actually has some pretty good synergy. This team is centered around Mismagius. Crustle almost always leads, attempting to set up Stealth Rock and hopefully full Spikes. Note that Knock Off and Rock Blast are both listed for their ability to take out opposing leads. Altaria and Qwilfish are just meant to be switch ins for special attackers and physical attackers, respectively. Moonblast and Heatwave on Altaria are actually altogether pretty stupid, I don't really know why I used those. Toxic was run to hit switch-ins, while rest was used with Natural cure to completely recover. This Altaria set did surprisingly well against Sigilyph. Intimidate and Thunder Wave on Qwilfish crippled sweepers like Feraligator or Sawk. Uxie was used to punch holes in the enemy team mid-game and to Trick Choice Specs onto bulkier stall Pokemon, generally interrupting gameplay even more. Gurdurr helps to deal with Normal-types and Steel-types that wall Mismagius. But Mismagius was at the core of it all. It would come in at any point on a Thunder Waved or a crippled Pokemon, get behind a Substitute and use Nasty Plot once. From there, it could OHKO most Pokemon, and with entry hazards it had little trouble getting through most things. And there you have it.
Thank you for your team! I have a question though. Why don't you run a dragon stab for Altaria? You did say you don't know why you added heatwave and moonblast in your description. Also, the way you're trying to use Altaria is for a toxic stall, so try out a sub roost set. Otherwise, excellent team!

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://pastebin.com/MueGLPye

Hello! I would like to get involved in NU, so this is my first attempt to step into the forums to contribute :)

This is a very powerful Hyper Offensive team that I made to ladder on the NU tier. After more than 250 induction games into NU, I feel that I am ready to post and get involved! I have reached the expert-ladder-rank of 1500 for NU, my maximum was 1580 which I think was Top 5(?), so I feel that I can post my thoughts now.
smash.jpg
This team is named Sonic Smash, as you can see it has not ONE, but TWO users of Shell Smash! Just like a Sonic Boom!

Shell Smash is the most Overpowered, and Broken move in NU

SMASH PASS IS EVEN WORSE!

Take a look! At Sonic's greatest invention! The smashpass!

As you can see, Gorebyss is the lead with super smash pass! You can Smash Pass to either AV Magmortar (sweeps whole teams), AV Hariyama (godly stallbreaker), or even Cacturne (deadly, with Sucker Punch defense). These three Pokemon are awesome in terms of Synergy, anything that hits Gorebyss for Super Effective damage (Electric and Grass) can be boldly tanked and eaten by our two Assault Vest heavyweights or our superior Cactus resists! These pokemon are also fast; Magmortar outspeeds all of the tier, and a huge Base 125 Special Attack and a top-class movepool allows it to crumple all enemies. However, it cannot take multiple Sucker Punches or garbage priorities like Swellow's Quick Attack or Feraligatr's Aqua Jet or stupid Fake Outs. So, Hariyama and Cacturne can be used to tank multiple Sucker Punches if you see them on the opponents team (in case you didn't know: Spritomb, Shiftry, Purugly, Liepard, Persian, Cacturne) Becareful for Hariyama; even though it outspeeds everything after Shell Smash boost, it will still be slower than many Choice Scarf users in the tier. Luckily, very few opponents can OHKO it, so you can just OHKO them and continue your sweeping job. Cacturne is the man in the middle; it can sweep even without Shell Smash, but if you give it the smash it is even better, because it can trap and play games with Sucker Punch / Swords Dance with the increased speed. Cacturne also has a great typing, and also Water Absorb for fun, so it can switch in on irritating Seismitoad and smack it right in the face.

Be careful of annoying Focus Sash and Sturdy users! very very annoying!! Thats why we have super Archeops, with sonic-speed of Defog and Stealth Rock to help you suit your team the best. It seems pretty useless but let me tell you that its supersonic speed is very helpful in killing that idiotic Sturdy Choice Scarf Sawk I swear I hate it a lot. U-turn is helpful if you think they will switch in something cheeky like Swords Dance Shiftry or setup Sigilyph then you hit it in the face with Barbaracle or AV heavyweights or Cacturne Sucker Punch

Finally, a cleaner Barbaracle incase everything goes to shit. By this point you should have weakened a lot of the opponent's walls or at least opened a big hole in their team (if you don't, you really are doing it wrong). You can Shell Smash on all of the Knock Off spam in the tier, no problem! Weak attacks like "Drain Punch" or "Regirock Earthquake", even though they are Super Effective, you can still survive and set up in their face and kill them. No problem! But take note that it is a super miss magnet: Razor Shell accuracy 95%, Stone Edge 80%, Cross Chop 80% (if you don't like this you can change it to brick break for safety).

Yes that is all, it was a bit long,I hope I was detailed enough! I hope you enjoy my team and good luck on learning NU/getting high ladder score/ achieving your Pokemon goals :)

Last edited:

http://pastebin.com/R60yj8Kg

I made an NU RMT of this team on my Alt Account (Volbeatdown) that I can no longer use on the forums that goes in depth on what this team does, and why it does it well, but I will do a quick summary of it.

I peaked at 1489 with this team, which was like, #19-ish on the ladder. Basically, I decided that I wanted to use RestTalk DDance Dragonair and Technician Mr. Mime on a team together. After some strategery, This team was born. To be completely honest, I expected this team to do pretty mediocre on the ladder, but I found myself winning games! The other members of the team are a basic Swords Dance Shiftry, Sash Vivillon, Assault Vest Armaldo (great spinner btw), and Life Orb Cryogonal.

Threats To The Team--- From my experience with the team, very few Pokemon go unchecked on the team, but one that can do serious work to the entire team is Opposing Vivillons. My team doesn't have a direct switch-in to Vivillon, and after a Quiver Dance, the only things that can come in are Cryogonal and Armaldo, both of which will not appreciate a STAB Hurricane at +1, let alone +2. Another thing that can severely threaten the team is Opposing Sneasel. Sneasel has the ability to OHKO 3 of my team members, Cryogonal, Shiftry, and Vivillon (if sash is broken.) My team doesn't have an answer to Sneasel other than Armaldo, and even he isn't too fond of Knock Off, as he needs his Assault Vest, and the only way I can get past it semi-comfortably is by using Vivillon if the Sash is still intact. I live an Ice Punch, and KO back with a Bug Buzz.

Watch Out for those threats when using this team, but otherwise, just have fun with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)