Samurott Discussion

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
On another topic, is replacing Waterfall with Razor Shell feasible? There's a very small loss of power and accuracy (5 base power and 5% accuracy), but there's a 50% chance of a Defense drop, which helps softens targets even on predicted switchins.
It's a preferential decision, really. You can risk that minuscule power and accuracy loss if you really want that 50% chance of a Defense drop, but Waterfall is still the more reliable option and is usually preferred. Also seconding (thirding?) the statement that Samurott is fabulous with a Grass-type's support. I've played around with Samurott + Leafeon (though not with those BP shenanigans that Smith was talking about) and Samurott + Serperior and both have worked excellently together, playing off of weaknesses. It's not a perfect partnership because stupid shit like Magmortar can handle Samurott with Thunderbolt and your selected Grass-type with Fire Blast, but it still serves as an awesome backbone for an offensive team.

Well in that case it seems like Camerupt would be the perfect third mon, giving you a fwg core, dependable special wall, stealth rock, etc. Since you have a really secure physical wall in Leafeon, that would actually be a really solid core for on offensive team!

I have seen a Specs variant, which i was totally not expecting since most people are using. Did about 58% Damage to my Alomomola, while i was Preparing a toxic stal onl it. I didnt get to see the whole set but im guessing it would be something like this~

Samurot @ Choice Specs
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe /4 HP
Hasty / Naive
-Hydro Pump
-Air Slash
-Hp Fire
-Ice Beam

I guess a choice scarf set would work, but i will have to test it out.

Why HP Fire? I feel like HP Grass would be a better fit, since it prevents Quagsire from stonewalling you and lets you hit harder than Air Slash on other Water-types.

My personal favourite is Mixed Samurott though, running LO and Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Megahorn/HP Grass or Taunt.

I like the sound of special or mixed a lot, with Hydro Pump / Waterfall / Megahorn / Ice Beam you basically can't be walled anymore. Air Slash doesn't strike me as particularly useful unless you REALLY hate sawk (why does a narwhal learn air slash)

I have been using the set smith just mentioned and it is a FUCKING POWERHOUSE. Tangela has become extremely common recently (and for good reason), so using a set of aqua jet/hydro pump/ megahorn/ice beam has really helped my team. along with gurdurr, this thing carries my team.

I have been using the set smith just mentioned and it is a FUCKING POWERHOUSE. Tangela has become extremely common recently (and for good reason), so using a set of aqua jet/hydro pump/ megahorn/ice beam has really helped my team. along with gurdurr, this thing carries my team.
Quoting this to say that I've been using the exact same set. What EVs do you use? I don't know what a good cutoff point is for Speed investment; generally I run enough Attack to OHKO Magmortar with AJ after SR, max Speed, and the rest in SpA, but I have a feeling Samurott could afford to be slower thanks to its priority.

I always use max neutral speed on my Samurotts. It ensures outspeeding Eggy, Emboar, Cacturne as well as uninvested fast stuff like Gardevoir, Golbat and Misdreavus. For a wall breaking set I can imagine just outrunning uninvested Misdreavus would be fine but just be careful of speedy Eggy.

Quoting this to say that I've been using the exact same set. What EVs do you use? I don't know what a good cutoff point is for Speed investment; generally I run enough Attack to OHKO Magmortar with AJ after SR, max Speed, and the rest in SpA, but I have a feeling Samurott could afford to be slower thanks to its priority.
I use 200 Atk, 160 SpA, and 148 Spe with a rash nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)