Samurott [Written] [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Samurott

[Overview]

<p>While Samurott might be outclassed in RU by Pokemon such as Feraligatr, in this metagame, he really gets a chance to shine. His good defensive typing, coupled with his passable bulk, lets him take a couple of hits while he uses his excellent attacking stats to dish out his own powerful hits. Samurott is capable of both sweeping entire teams at a moments notice through the use of Swords Dance, or systematically breaking down defensive teams with Taunt. Although its subpar Speed stat lets him down at times, this samurai otter is still more than capable of tearing teams apart if given the chance.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Aqua Jet
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Torrent
nature: Adamant
evs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Samurott makes for a surprisingly good Swords Dancer, as his good typing and decent defensive stats allow him to take almost any neutral unboosted hit as he sets up. His STAB moves provide very good coverage alongside Megahorn, with Aqua Jet bypassing his mediocre Speed, letting him get the jump on faster Pokemon. Swords Dance, obviously the crux of this set, allows Samurott to double his Attack in a single turn and proceed to tear the opposing team to shreds. Waterfall is used as Samurott's primary STAB due to its good Base Power and consistency, but Aqua Tail can be used if you don't mind the 10% accuracy drop. Megahorn provides coverage, as well as a super effective hit on bulky Grass-types, such as Tangela and Meganium. Aqua Jet gives Samurott priority, and will hit suprisingly hard after a Swords Dance boost, especially if Samurott happens to be in Torrent range.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's EVs are quite basic: maximum Attack yields the most physical power possible; enough Speed is used to outpace Adamant Torterra, Modest Exeggutor, and uninvested Misdreavus; and the remainder is thrown into HP to take hits better.</p>

<p>Samurott's moveset is pretty specific, but there are a few other options that can be considered. Return can be used over Megahorn for good neutral coverage, but the ability to hit bulky Grass-types hard with Megahorn is usually preferred. Encore and Taunt are also options to help Samurott set up a Swords Dance, but using them means losing Aqua Jet, so they're not very appealing. The given EV spread is usually optimal, but by no means set in stone, so feel free to play around with it to better suit your team's needs. For example, you can drop all the Speed EVs in order to maximize Samurott's bulk and ease setup, or aim to beat other specific threats, such as uninvested Mesprit, which would only require 84 EVs. Finally, Lum Berry allows Samurott to set up on Pokemon who rely on status to counter boosting threats, such as Will-O-Wisp Misdreavus.</p>

<p>Although Samurott is quite a self-sufficient sweeper in his own right, a bit of team support is always appreciated. Samurott really hates Toxic Spikes, so pairing him with a grounded Poison-type, such as Skuntank, is a good idea. Additionally, Meganium makes an excellent teammate due to her ability to perform as a cleric, potentially heal Samurott with Leech Seed, and take Electric- and Grass-type moves aimed at the otter.<p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Taunt
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Samurott aims to systematically break down defensive teams through the use of Taunt, and by abusing his relatively powerful moves and good coverage to tear holes in opposing teams. Hydro Pump is picked as a STAB move due to its higher Base Power and greater damage output even factoring in accuracy, but Surf can be used if you fear missing at a crucial time. Ice Beam and Grass Knot provide very good coverage alongside Samurott's STAB, with the former hitting opposing Grass-types and the latter hitting opposing Water-types, both of which resist Water-type moves. Taunt is used so that this set can tear apart defensive teams by preventing recovery, status, phazing, and the like.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is simple and straightforward: Special Attack is maximized in order to tear holes in opposing teams, while 252 Speed EVs let him Taunt as quickly as possible. Due to Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool, there isn't really aren't many alternative options, but there are a couple of things you can consider. Encore can be used over Taunt or one of the coverage moves as it can force a lot of switches if used properly. Another option you have is to hit specific Speed benchmarks in order to either increase his bulk or to invest in Attack and opt for a mixed set. Aside from that, however, there isn't really much this set can change without becoming less effective.</p>

<p>While Samurott's top-notch coverage and power might usually be enough to break through opposing teams by itself, his relatively low Speed really hinders him against faster teams. Due to this, paralysis support from the likes of Musharna or Rotom-S, the latter of whom can also take Grass-type hits for Samurott, is much appreciated. As with many offensive Pokemon, Spikes support from the likes of Garbodor is also welcome. As a bonus, Garbodor absorbs Toxic Spikes, which Samurott really dislikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool leaves him with very few other options, but there are a couple things that could be considered. Due to the lack of Natural Cure Grass-types in NU, Toxic is a very viable option to cripple Samurott's common switch-ins. A defensive set employing Dragon Tail and Scald could be viable, but the lack of reliable recovery makes that option very iffy. A Choice Specs set with Surf or Hydro Pump, Hidden Power Electric or Grass Knot, Ice Beam, and Air Slash could be used to take advantage of Samurott's fantastic STAB and respectable bulk, but it's generally outclassed by the Life Orb set. Choice Scarf and Choice Band sets are also viable, but not recommended.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fantastic coverage, good STAB, and the ability to go either physical or special, make Samurott impossible to straight up counter. However, bulky Grass- and Water-types do okay in general, if all else fails, you can just prey on Samurott's low Speed with Pokemon who aren't hit too hard by Aqua Jet. Cradily is bulky enough to take anything but a +2 Life Orb Megahorn and can do a good amount of damage with its Grass-type STAB. Leafeon outpaces Samurott, resists Aqua Jet, and does a ton of damage with Leaf Blade, but must watch out for Ice Beam and Megahorn on the switch. Eviolite Tangela has a chance to survive a +2 Life Orb Megahorn with Stealth Rock down (always surviving without it) and can hit back with Sleep Powder or a strong Giga Drain. Altaria walls it to hell and back if it happens to lack Ice Beam as well.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Samurott gets Shell Armor courtesy of the Dream World, which prevents it from getting hit by a critical hit. However, Torrent is more useful as it has the potential to boost his Water-type moves.</p>

You probably just need enough Speed to outpace min Mesprit (that's 84 EVs) on the Attacker set. I would put Choice in OO because it has the movepool, the stats, and the lacking Speed. Maybe a Scarf set like Pump / ice Beam / Air Slash / HP Electric? Idk but yeah choice needs a mention. Also a bulky spread in OO could work, since it gets Dragon Tail. otherwise from that, looks good. I'll look over some other stuff that it gets before I give this a stamp though.

also wtf its RU not LU 9.9

edit: Just talked with omi, once you make his changes and make 84 EVs the Speed on both it'll be QC 1/3 from me

OK

So since Samurott is one of my favorites in NU especially cuz I wreck Zebraiken with it on a daily basis, I'm gonna try to go in-depth as much as possible here.

First off, you spelled Samurott wrong... >.<

There also needs to be a Dream World section at the bottom, explaining what Samurott's DW ability is and what it's possible uses could be or w/e. There is also only one Checks and Counters section, no need for an individual section for each set - it goes right after the [Other Options]. Also, all the [SET COMMENTS] and [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] tags should be capitalized, while the generic names in the sets themselves, i.e. name, move 1, move 2, ability, nature, etc. shouldn't be capitalized.

Ok now that we got the formatting figured out...lol

1st set:
Return should go in the AC, it has good neutral coverage, but most of the time Megahorn is more useful to hit Grass-types, Psychic-types and the like (screw Altaria)
Leftovers should be the first slash, it provides better survivability and after a SD boost the power difference is barely noticeable.
EV spread looks ok but you could probably lower the Speed EVs to 84 to outspeed min Speed Mesprit (AC mention?)
Mention a bulkier EV spread (252 HP / 252 Atk w/e) in the AC

2nd Set:
Name the set "Special Attacker" or something not just "Attacker" lol
This set should have max SpA / max Spe as the main spread to outspeed and Taunt the most things, the current EV spread can go in the AC.
Again, a bulky (252/252) spread can also go in the AC.

Other stuff:
Choice should be in OO, choice specs hits pretty hard and CHoice Scarf is a useful revenge killer. Don't know too much about CB, probably won't work out that well but it has Aqua Jet... xD

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I have used a bit more speed on the SD set in my team, because i think outspeeding max speed (neutral) exeggutor, huntail and gorebyss as well as no speed misdreavus was pretty important. I used 210 speed (i think it's 136 evs)
Any thoughts?

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Yeah, you want to be able to beat Misdreavus and Adamant Torterra.

Mention Leftovers in the AC of both sets.

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Okay I updated this.

I slashed Leftovers into the Swords Dance set, but I really don't think it deserves to go before Life Orb - the power boost is a lot more noticeable than Omicron seems to think it is. I also made the primary EV spread for that set so that it outpaces all Adamant Torterra (212 Speed). This also beats all neutral Exeggutor and min Speed Misdreavus.

Everything else I just did what was told.

Can I get my three QC checks now so I can start writing this up?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I still think its really mediocre but then again Omicron is pretty mediocre so I guess its pretty fitting that this is Omicron's favorite NU mon because its the worst mon in the worst tier with the worst user ps fuck you I'm typing a long run-on sentence that has nothing to do with this check HAHAHAHA.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So since Samurott is one of my favorites in NU especially cuz I wreck Zebraiken with it on a daily basis, I'm gonna try to go in-depth as much as possible here.
one (read: 1) time =/= daily basis, noobert

sd samurott is really cool though and wrecks a lot of teams

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Again, an amateur check
Removals in RED, changes in BLUE, comments in BOLD

Samurott

[Overview]

While Samurott might be outclassed in RU by Pokemon like Feraligatr, in this metagame, he really gets a chance to shine. His good defensive typing, coupled with its passable bulk, lets it take a couple hits while he uses his very good attacking stats to dish out its own powerful hits. Samurott is capable of both sweeping entire teams at a moment's notice through the use of Swords Dance, or systematically breaking down defensive teams with Taunt. Although its subpar Speed stat lets it down at times, this samurai otter is still more than capable of tearing teams apart if given the chance.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Samurott makes for a surprisingly good Swords Dancer, as his good typing and decent defensive stats allow him to take almost any neutral unboosted hit as he sets up. Its STAB moves provide very good coverage alongside Megahorn, with Aqua Jet letting him get the jump on faster Pokemon and bypassing his mediocre Speed. Swords Dance is obviously the crux of this set, allowing Samurott to double its Attack in a single turn and proceed to tear the opposing team to shreds. Waterfall is used as primary STAB due to its good Base Power and consistency, but Aqua Tail can be used if you don't mind the 10% accuracy drop. Megahorn provides coverage, as well as a super effective hit on bulky Grass-types, like Tangela and Meganium. Aqua Jet gives you priority, and will hit suprisingly hard after a Swords Dance boost, especially if Samurott happens to be in Torrent range. This set's EVs are quite basic, they maxing out Attack to give the most physical power possible, and outpace and adding enough speed outpace all Adamant Torterra, Modest Exeggutor, and minimum Speed Misdreavus; with the remainder getting thrown into HP to take hits better.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

This set's moveset is pretty specific, but there are a few options that can be considered. Return can be used over Megahorn for good neutral coverage, but the ability to hit bulky Grass-types hard with Megahorn is usually best. Encore and Taunt are also options to help Samurott set up a Swords Dance, but using them means losing Aqua Jet, so they're not very appealing. The given EV spread is usually optimal, but by no means set in stone, so feel free to play around with them it to best suit your team's needs. For example, you can drop all the Speed EVs in order to maximize Samurott's bulk and ease set up, or aim to beat other specific things like minimum Speed Mesprit (84 EVs). Finally, Lum Berry allows you to set up on Pokemon who rely on status to prevent set up, such as Will-O-Wisp Misdreavus.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

This Samurott set aims to systematically break down more defensive teams through the use of Taunt and by abusing its relatively high power and good coverage to tear holes into opposing teams. Hydro Pump is picked as the primary choice for a STAB move due to the higher Base Power and long-term damage output, but Surf can be used if you fear missing at a crucial time. Ice Beam and Grass Knot provide very good coverage alongside Samurott's STAB, with the former hitting opposing Grass-types and the latter hitting opposing Water-types, both of which resist Water. Taunt is used so that this set can accomplish what its meant to do against defensive teams - preventing recovery, status, phazing, and the like. The EV spread is quite simplistic: maximizing Special Attack is a given in order to tear holes into opposing teams while maxing Speed is used to be able to use Taunt as effectively much as possible.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

Due to Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool, there aren't isn't really many much in the way of alternative options, but there's a couple things you might consider doing. Encore can be used over Taunt or one of the coverage moves as it can force a lot of switches if used properly. Another option you have is to lower his Speed to specific benchmarks in order to either increase his bulk or to invest in Attack and go mixed. Aside from that, (Comma) however, there isn't really much this set can vary in without becoming less effective.

While Samurott's top-notch coverage and power might usually be enough to break through opposing teams by itself, its relatively low Speed really hinders it against faster teams. Due to this, it is a good idea to provide paralysis support from the likes of Musharna or Rotom-S (who can also take Grass-type moves for him). As with many offensive Pokemon, Spikes support from the likes of Garbodor is also welcome, especially since Samurott really dislikes Toxic Spikes and Garbodor can absorb them for free.

[Other Options]

Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool leaves him with very little in the way of other options, but there's a couple things that could be considered. (Same opener as above, not really needed) Due to the lack of Natural Cure users Grass-types in NU, Toxic becomes a very viable option to cripple his common switch-ins. A defensive set employing Dragon Tail and Scald could be viable, but the lack of reliable recovery makes that option very iffy. A Choice Specs set with Surf or Hydro Pump, Hidden Power Electric or Grass Knot, Ice Beam, and Air Slash could be used to take advantage of Samurott's fantastic STAB and respectable bulk, but its generally outclassed by the Life Orb set. Choice Scarf and Choice Band sets are also viable, but not recommended.

[Checks and Counters]

Fantastic coverage, good STAB, and the ability to go mixed either physical or special, (no comma also) make Samurott impossible to straight up counter. However, bulky Grass- and Water-types do okay in general, and if all else fails you can just prey on its low Speed with Pokemon who aren't hit too hard by Aqua Jet. Cradily is bulky enough to take anything but a +2 Life Orb Megahorn and can do a good amount of damage with its Grass-typed STAB. Leafeon outpaces Samurott, resists Aqua Jet, (comma) and does a ton of damage with Leaf Blade, but must watch out for Ice Beam and Megahorn on the switch. Eviolite Tangela has a chance to survive a +2 Life Orb Megahorn with Stealth Rock down (always surviving without it) and can hit back with a Sleep Powder or a strong Giga Drain. Altaria walls it to hell and back if it happens to lack Ice Beam as well.

[Dream World]

Samurott gets Shell Armor courtesy of the Dream World, (comma) which prevents it from getting hit by a critical hit. However, Torrent generally is more useful, (comma) as it gives Samurott a boost behind its Water-type attacks when it's at 1/3 or less of its HP.

Not bad, and good sentence structure. The one thing I would say is call samurott either HE or IT and stick with it for the entire analysis.

[Overview]

<p>While Samurott might be outclassed in RU by pokemon like Pokemon such as or "its fellow Water-type starter Feraligatr, in this metagame, he really gets a chance to shine. His good defensive typing, coupled with its his passable bulk, lets it him take a couple of hits while he uses his very good excellent attacking stats to dish out its his own powerful hits. Samurott is capable of both sweeping entire teams at a moment's notice through the use of Swords Dance, or systematically breaking down defensive teams with Taunt. Although its his subpar Speed stat lets it him down at times, this samurai otter is still more than capable of tearing teams apart if given the chance.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Samurott makes for a surprisingly good Swords Dancer, as his good typing and decent defensive stats allow him to take almost any neutral unboosted hit as he sets up. ItsHis STAB moves provide very good coverage alongside Megahorn, with Aqua Jet bypassing his mediocre Speed, letting him get the jump on faster Pokemon and bypassing his mediocre Speed. Swords Dance,<comma> is obviously the crux of this set, allowing allows Samurott to double its his Attack in a single turn and proceed to tear the opposing team to shreds. Waterfall is used as Samurott's primary STAB due to its good Base Power and consistency, but Aqua Tail can be used if you don't mind the 10% accuracy drop. Megahorn provides coverage, as well as a super-effective super effective hit on bulky Grass-types, like such as Tangela and Meganium. Aqua Jet gives you Samurott priority, and will hit suprisingly hard after a Swords Dance boost, especially if Samurott happens to be in Torrent range. This sets EVs are quite basic, they max out Attack to give the most physical power possible and outpace all Adamant Torterra, Modest Exeggutor, and min Speed Misdreavus; with the remainder getting thrown into HP to take hits better. moving to AC.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's EVs are quite basic: maximum Attack to give yields the most physical power possible and ;<semicolon> enough Speed is used to outpace all Adamant Torterra, Modest Exeggutor, and min Speed uninvested Misdreavus; with and the remainder getting is thrown into HP to take hits better.</p>

<p>This set's moveset is pretty specific, but there are a few options that can be considered. Return can be used over Megahorn for good neutral coverage, but the ability to hit bulky Grass-types hard with Megahorn is usually best preferred. Encore and Taunt are also options to help Samurott set up a Swords Dance, but using them means losing Aqua Jet, so they're not very appealing. The given EV spread is usually optimal, but by no means set in stone, so feel free to play around with them it to best suit your team's needs. For example, you can drop all the Speed EVs in order to maximize Samurott's bulk and ease set up setup, or aim to beat other specific things threats like ,<comma> such as min Speed uninvested Mesprit ( ,<comma> which will require 84 EVs). Finally, Lum Berry allows you Samurott to set up on Pokemon who rely on status to prevent set up counter boosting threats, such as Will-O-Wisp Misdreavus.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Samurott set aims to systematically break down more defensive teams through the use of Taunt,<comma> and by abusing its his relatively high power powerful moves and good coverage to tear holes into opposing teams. Hydro Pump is picked as the primary choice for a STAB move due to the its higher Base Power and long-term damage output and greater damage output even factoring in accuracy, but Surf can be used if you fear missing at a crucial time. Ice Beam and Grass Knot provide very good coverage alongside Samurott's STAB, with the former hitting opposing Grass-types and the latter hitting opposing Water-types, both of which resist Water-type moves. Taunt is used so that this set can accomplish what its meant to do against tear apart defensive teams - by preventing recovery, status, phazing, and the like. The EV spread is quite simplistic - max SpA is a given in order to tear holes into opposing teams while max Spe is used to be able to Taunt as much as possible.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is simple and straightforward: Special Attack is maximized in order to tear holes into opposing teams, while 252 Speed EVs let him Taunt as quickly as possible. Due to Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool, there isn't really much in the way of alternative options, but there's are a couple of things you might consider doing can consider. Encore can be used over Taunt or one of the coverage moves as it can force a lot of switches if used properly. Another option you have is to lower his speed to hit specific Speed benchmarks in order to either increase his bulk or to invest in Attack and go mixed. Aside from that,<comma> however, there isn't really much this set can vary change without becoming less effective.</p>

<p>While Samurott's top-notch coverage and power might usually be enough to break through opposing teams by itself, its his relatively low Speed really hinders it him against faster teams. Due to this, it is a good idea to provide paralysis support from the likes of Musharna or Rotom-S (who ,<comma> the latter of whom can also take Grass-type moves for him Samurott ) ,<comma> will be much appreciated. As with many offensive Pokemon, Spikes support from the likes of Garbodor is also welcome, especially since Samurott really dislikes Toxic Spikes. As a bonus, Garbodor absorbs Toxic Spikes, which Samurott really dislikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool leaves him with very little in the way of other options, but there's a couple things that could be considered. Due to the lack of Natural Cure Grass-types in NU, Toxic becomes a very viable option to cripple his common switch-ins. A defensive set employing Dragon Tail and Scald could be viable, but the lack of reliable recovery makes that option very iffy. A Choice Specs set with Surf or Hydro Pump, Hidden Power Electric or Grass Knot, Ice Beam, and Air Slash could be used to take advantage of Samurott's fantastic STAB and respectable bulk, but it'<apostrophe>s generally outclassed by the Life Orb set. Choice Scarf and Choice Band sets are also viable, but not recommended.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fantastic coverage, good STAB, and the ability to go either physical or special, make Samurott impossible to straight up counter. However, bulky Grass- and Water-types do okay in general, and if all else fails,<comma> you can just prey on its low Speed with Pokemon who aren't hit too hard by Aqua Jet. Cradily is bulky enough to take anything but a +2 Life Orb Megahorn and can do a good amount of damage with its Grass-type STAB. Leafeon outpaces Samurott, resists Aqua Jet,<comma> and does a ton of damage with Leaf Blade, but must watch out for Ice Beam and Megahorn on the switch. Eviolite Tangela has a chance to survive a +2 Life Orb Megahorn with Stealth Rock down (always surviving without it) and can hit back with a Sleep Powder or a strong Giga Drain. Altaria walls it to hell and back if it happens to lack Ice Beam as well.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Samurott gets Shell Armor courtesy of the Dream World,<comma> which prevents it from getting hit by a critical hit. However, Torrent is more useful as it gives Samurott a boost behind its Water-type attacks when its at 1/3 or less of its HP potentially boosts Samurott's Water-type moves.</p>

1/2

kokoloko

Implemented.

I should have probably read over it myself before posting it, because I missed a lot of really obvious stuff...

Needs one more check.

Stamp Me :D

Add/Edit
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>While Samurott might be outclassed in RU by Pokemon such as Feraligatr, in this metagame, he really gets a chance to shine. His good defensive typing, coupled with his passable bulk, lets him take a couple of hits while he uses his excellent attacking stats to dish out his own powerful hits. Samurott is capable of both sweeping entire teams at a moments notice through the use of Swords Dance, or systematically breaking down defensive teams with Taunt. Although its subpar Speed stat lets him down at times, this samurai otter is still more than capable of tearing teams apart if given the chance.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Samurott makes for a surprisingly good Swords Dancer, as his good typing and decent defensive stats allow him to take almost any neutral unboosted hit as he sets up. His STAB moves provide very good coverage alongside Megahorn, with Aqua Jet bypassing his mediocre Speed, letting him get the jump on faster Pokemon. Swords Dance, obviously the crux of this set, allows Samurott to double its his Attack in a single turn and proceed to tear the opposing team to shreds. Waterfall is used as Samurott's primary STAB due to its good Base Power and consistency, but Aqua Tail can be used if you don't mind the 10% accuracy drop. Megahorn provides coverage, as well as a super-effective super effective hit on bulky Grass-types, like such as Tangela and Meganium. Aqua Jet gives Samurott priority, and will hit suprisingly hard after a Swords Dance boost, especially if Samurott happens to be in Torrent range.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's EVs are quite basic: maximum Attack yields the most physical power possible; enough Speed is used to outpace all Adamant Torterra, Modest Exeggutor, and uninvested Misdreavus; and the remainder is thrown into HP to take hits better.</p>

<p>Samurott's moveset is pretty specific, but there are a few other options that can be considered. Return can be used over Megahorn for good neutral coverage, but the ability to hit bulky Grass-types hard with Megahorn is usually preferred. Encore and Taunt are also options to help Samurott set up a Swords Dance, but using them means losing Aqua Jet, so they're not very appealing. The given EV spread is usually optimal, but by no means set in stone, so feel free to play around with it to better suit your team's needs. For example, you can drop all the Speed EVs in order to maximize Samurott's bulk and ease setup, or aim to beat other specific things threats, such as uninvested Mesprit, which would only require 84 EVs. Finally, Lum Berry allows Samurott to set up on Pokemon who rely on status to counter boosting threats, such as Will-O-Wisp Misdreavus.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Samurott aims to systematically break down defensive teams through the use of Taunt, and by abusing his relatively powerful moves and good coverage to tear holes into opposing teams. Hydro Pump is picked as a STAB move due to its higher Base Power and greater damage output even factoring in accuracy, but Surf can be used if you fear missing at a crucial time. Ice Beam and Grass Knot provide very good coverage alongside Samurott's STAB, with the former hitting opposing Grass-types and the latter hitting opposing Water-types, both of which resist Water-type moves. Taunt is used so that this set can tear apart defensive teams by preventing recovery, status, phazing, and the like.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is simple and straightforward: Special Attack is maximized in order to tear holes into opposing teams, while 252 Speed EVs let him Taunt as quickly as possible. Due to Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool, there isn't aren't really much many in the way of alternative options, but there are a couple of things you can consider. Encore can be used over Taunt or one of the coverage moves as it can force a lot of switches if used properly. Another option you have is to hit specific Speed benchmarks in order to either increase his bulk or to invest in Attack and go opt for amixed set. Aside from that, however, there isn't really much this set can change without becoming less effective.</p>

<p>While Samurott's top-notch coverage and power might usually be enough to break through opposing teams by itself, his relatively low Speed really hinders him against faster teams. Due to this, paralysis support from the likes of Musharna or Rotom-S, the latter of whom can also take Grass-type moves hits for Samurott, will be is much appreciated. As with many offensive Pokemon, Spikes support from the likes of Garbodor is also welcome. As a bonus, Garbodor absorbs Toxic Spikes, which Samurott really dislikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Samurott's incredibly shallow movepool leaves him with very little in the way of other options, but there's are a couple things that could be considered. Due to the lack of Natural Cure Grass-types in NU, Toxic becomes is a very viable option to cripple his Samurott's common switch-ins. A defensive set employing Dragon Tail and Scald could be viable, but the lack of reliable recovery makes that option very iffy. A Choice Specs set with Surf or Hydro Pump, Hidden Power Electric or Grass Knot, Ice Beam, and Air Slash could be used to take advantage of Samurott's fantastic STAB and respectable bulk, but it's generally outclassed by the Life Orb set. Choice Scarf and Choice Band sets are also viable, but not recommended.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fantastic coverage, good STAB, and the ability to go either physical or special, make Samurott impossible to straight up counter. However, bulky Grass- and Water-types do okay in general, and if all else fails, you can just prey on its Samurott's low Speed with Pokemon who aren't hit too hard by Aqua Jet. Cradily is bulky enough to take anything but a +2 Life Orb Megahorn and can do a good amount of damage with its Grass-type STAB. Leafeon outpaces Samurott, resists Aqua Jet, and does a ton of damage with Leaf Blade, but must watch out for Ice Beam and Megahorn on the switch. Eviolite Tangela has a chance to survive a +2 Life Orb Megahorn with Stealth Rock down (always surviving without it) and can hit back with Sleep Powder or a strong Giga Drain. Altaria walls it to hell and back if it happens to lack Ice Beam as well.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Samurott gets Shell Armor courtesy of the Dream World,<comma> which prevents it from getting hit by a critical hit. However, Torrent is more useful as it gives Samurott a boost behind its Water-type attacks when its at 1/3 or less of its HP .{<Period>} potentially boosts Samurott's Water-type moves.</p>

kokoloko

lol I really failed at implementing GP 1.

Anyway, GP 2 implemented. I disagreed with a couple really minor things on both GP checks, but they're so minor, you probably won't notice.

So yeah, this is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)