Samurott

Smeargle seems to be the best since he can use spore. Anyone know a good mixed set, along with nature and ev?
I'd personally run this:
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Megahorn
-Grass Knot
-Aqua Jet
Nature: Naive
Evs: 40 Atk/252 SpA/216 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent

I'd personally run this:
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Megahorn
-Grass Knot
-Aqua Jet
Nature: Naive
Evs: 40 Atk/252 SpA/216 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
So that's basically an Empoleon, slightly faster (though still quite slow), but with slightly less power, a worse typing and less bulk. I think that set is outclassed by Empoleon, but that's just me.

Yeah to stand out from empoleon or feraligatr he really needs to use either encore or megahorn and utilise his great physical AND special attack.

So, I've been using this in my Trick Room team and I must say it's pretty impressive.
Since most regular teams run 100+ base speed pokemon or weather speed boosting abilities, its "high" base 70 speed doesn't really matter.

It can single-handedly demolish Rain Dance teams with Grass Knot/Aqua Jet/Megahorn/Hydro Pump and LO if you manage to set Trick Room (hint: Evo Stone Porygon2 pairs well with him).

Megahorn is especially useful for things like Starmie and Ludicolo, who are capable of surviving its other attacks.
Aqua Jet is there for the surprise factor when Trick Room ends, since most opponents won't expect it if you run Hydro Pump.
Ice Beam isn't really necessary since no dragon (except the rare Kurimugan) will ever switch into this if Trick Room is in effect and Megahorn takes care of grass types.

Just be wary of Nattorei and sun teams.
What's the nature and ev's you use on that set? Trick Room has always been a fun strategy for me it mixing with Daikenki just screams awesome. Also, have you used it against anything other tha rain?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, since Reuniclus is such a bug deal now that everybody's hyping it...

Name: Swords Dance
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Encore
Move 3: Aqua Jet
Move 4: Megahorn
Item: Life Orb / Wacan Berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs: Maximum attack and maybe HP or Speed

Enough said. Wish me luck.

Inspirational pics that got me interested in him:

Heres what I got:

Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Megahorn
Nightslash/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam
------------------

Night slash is just there for the surprise factor. It doesn't seem very common on any of these sets, but it could hit some unsuspecting ghosts I guess... ^_^' The element of surprise can make or break a fight sometimes!

Heres what I got:

Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Megahorn
Nightslash/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam
------------------

Night slash is just there for the surprise factor. It doesn't seem very common on any of these sets, but it could hit some unsuspecting ghosts I guess... ^_^'

Nightslash lets you hit Jellicent :P

Riight Samurotts outclassed by Other water starters... He is still awesome! Feraligatr is more bulky for a physical SD and blastoise is better at being a wall (The other two are not pure water so im not bothering with them).

His Samurai Design is so awesome and when he has his Razor shell and standing on two Legs he looks even More awesome. Next to Blastoise hes my favourite water starter. This had nothing to do with Sets but yeah

Riight Samurotts outclassed by Other water starters... He is still awesome! Feraligatr is more bulky for a physical SD and blastoise is better at being a wall (The other two are not pure water so im not bothering with them).

His Samurai Design is so awesome and when he has his Razor shell and standing on two Legs he looks even More awesome. Next to Blastoise hes my favourite water starter. This had nothing to do with Sets but yeah
How does everyone think he would fair in an unova only meta game. The only notable competition that comes to mind are King/Queen jelly, sea turtle dude and keldio. Jelly fish is defensive so it is out the picture, an keldio is a special attacker and outclasses samurott in that regard. Alboogora or however it is spelled( haven't memorized all english names yet) seems to be the one that takes samurotts shine away because it has shell smash

Might just be me but even special offensive variants is outclassed by milotic...just 5 base power lower and missing grass knot...but milotic outshines it in every other stat on the special offensive variant...

Might just be me but even special offensive variants is outclassed by milotic...just 5 base power lower and missing grass knot...but milotic outshines it in every other stat on the special offensive variant...
In terms of base stats, Samurott has higher attack/defense (before Marvel Scale)/special attack (8 higher than Milotic) while Milotic has much better special defense and is faster as well as potential Marvel Scale as well as Recover. But it's probably better to run a mixed variant of Samurott to use him to his best skills of both good attacking stats and high power moves. Hydro Pump/Megahorn (Icebeam)/Aqua Jet/Grass Knot with Life Orb or something. Also, it's defenses aren't terrible and you could do a kind of traditional bulky physical water with max hp/max def with still good attacking stats although sadly lacks Recover. Samurott has a few things other waters can't do like Encore, Grass Knot (Empoleon can), Dragon Tail, Taunt. Meh special defense but as long as you don't take grass/electric/draco meteors, it could work. But is Milotic any good either this generation? I see nothing wrong with Samurott for fun and occasional use in OU.

Samurott's base 108 special attack is actually respectable. In terms of water types who have higher special attack there's...

Vaporeon - 110
Empoleon - 111
Gorebyss - 114
Omastar - 115
Kerudio - 129

Of these, only Kerudio outspeeds Samurott. Bulk wise, Vaporeon is superior, while Empoleon is kind of even (but it has some key resistances and weaknesses that kind of balance out), while Omastar has higher physical defense but subpar typing. Samurott really has great balance.

Samurott also has access to Encore which lets it force things that would otherwise set up on Samurott to take repeated assaults from it, which is typically not something an opponent would want to do.

The other water types that have higher sp. attack are uber anyway.

I would probably make a Samurott set that's something somewhat bulky like...

Modest - 252 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 Speed (Would probably go with this, there's not much Samurott NEEDS to outspeed anyway, but correct me if I'm wrong. Most things slower than base 70 don't invest in speed anyway.) or
Timid - 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
@ Leftovers or Life Orb
+Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald
+Ice Beam / Blizzard
+Grass Knot / Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Fire
+Encore / Air Slash / Hidden Power Fire

Hydro Pump coming off of it's great 108 special attack hits really hard. With a life orb it's more powerful than Starmie's after going through 120 x 1.5 x 1.3 = 234 BP coming off of 346 special attack. Water has pretty decent coverage, especially since things that resist it are either other waters or dragon types. For dragons, you have ice beam, for other waters, grass knot or HP Electric handles them. Vaporeon is the only reason you may want HP electric, because otherwise, you'll be hitting hard with Grass Knot. Even Jellicent takes 100 BP before factoring SE from Grass Knot, and given Jellicent's movepool, it cannot take on Samurott directly if it runs Encore. Since status moves like Will-O-Wisp will get encored letting you score free turns of grass knot damage on it. If paired with Encore, Samurott can typically afford to miss with Hydro Pump, since it can pretty much earn free turns while also having some decent bulk to go with.

Ferrothorn can be a difficult opponent to handle without HP Fire, as it resists your STAB, doesn't care about Grass Knot and the risk of encoring it is high since it CAN just power whip you down. HP Fire is there if you think it is necessary to prevent it from taking you out, but with HP Fire you lose out on being able to beat some opponents with encore who would otherwise stall you out.

Meanwhile, without Air Slash, Virizion becomes quite a difficult foe. Air slash hits 4x SE, meanwhile ice beam and blizzard only hit for 2x and without STAB, Virizion can simply Giga Drain + Calm Mind without too much to fret about.

I wouldn't consider running HP Electric just for Vaporeon, since Encore usually sends it fleeing pretty quickly. You can't stop it from Wishpassing, but it's something Samurott can't typically do anyway. You'd run it for Gyarados, unless they get greedy and DDance.

That said, I actually like the set.

I'm glad that people are still talking about my favorite samurai sea lion and still working up some sets. I can see Pentao's Timid set being very nice, and something I'd like to use in the future, though quick question, does Encore go through substitute?

It seems that the only advantages it has over other pokemon is its movepool so it needs to be capitalized on. also, this thread is misnamed.

Ferrothorn can be a difficult opponent to handle without HP Fire, as it resists your STAB, doesn't care about Grass Knot and the risk of encoring it is high since it CAN just power whip you down. HP Fire is there if you think it is necessary to prevent it from taking you out, but with HP Fire you lose out on being able to beat some opponents with encore who would otherwise stall you out.
Ferrothorn is slower than Samurott. If Ferrothorn uses a non-attacking move(like Stealth Rock), Samurott will force him to SR the next turn as well, it's great if Ferro forces someone out, SR on the switch, and gets Encored.

Ferrothorn is slower than Samurott. If Ferrothorn uses a non-attacking move(like Stealth Rock), Samurott will force him to SR the next turn as well, it's great if Ferro forces someone out, SR on the switch, and gets Encored.
Ah, true enough. Though more and more Ferrothorn seem to be running spikes it seems. Encore does let you get three free ice beams/blizzards, or if nothing else, a free switch.

Overall Encore helps prevent you from being an easy target against Ferrothorn, but if it just decides to power whip you from the get go, it can be a real pain. Though switching in on something like Gyro Ball and Encoring it is great, especially since Ferrothorn doesn't usually switch AWAY from a water type. Thanks for pointing that out, forgot about that. What with Whimsicott being an Encore Prankster, I forgot that you could also just Encore things if you out speed them anyway.

Samurai Audience Samurott probably wants wish support if it's running life orb, and it can appreciate wishes no matter what really, since it has decent bulk to survive neutral non-STAB attacks. I'd probably go with leftovers most of the time since life orb can set you open to revenge kills.

Still, against some staples of Sandstorm teams, like Gliscor, Skarmory, Hippowdon and Tyranitar, it stands quite bravely and can handle them. Against rain teams, it gets a very nice boost for it's STAB, but typically a rain team runs water types who resist it anyway, but it's not too bad. Specs Tornadus can pick you off if you've lost some HP due to Life Orb. Scizor doesn't want to switch into Samurott either, since Bullet Punch will be weak, and it will often be outsped.

On HP Vs. Speed IVs, it really depends if you think it's necessary to outspeed Breloom. While you could probably KO Breloom with Ice Beam / Blizzard, you run the risk of letting it spore if it wins a speed tie, which not only means you dying, but it can also mean free set up for your opponent.

Against the Lati twins, so long as you're facing them unboosted, you can probably survive things like stray Dragon Pulses, but should either carry Thunderbolt, you've got to be careful. Latias has an easier time dealing with Samurrot too since it has more sp. def and cares less for un-STABed ice beams. Though Blizzard still makes a serious dent. It's probably just a better idea overall to switch out when they're around, though you could technically switch into things like surf/hidden power fire which they are likely to carry. Dragon Pulse probably won't OHKO, but specs meteor from either probably will.

In terms of Hydro Pump Vs. Surf Vs. Scald, it depends on what your team needs. Spreading burn is always a nice thing, but missing out on the power to KO things hurts, especially since some opponents may see Samurott as set up bait, and if you don't predict the set up and encore it immediately, it can mean eating a sweep. If you are good at Encore prediction, Hydro Pump is probably your best option due to free turns meaning you have some leeway to use Hydro Pump. Encore however does cause switches, and burning things as they come in is always nice. Surf is a pretty decent middle ground and should always be considered if you need some reliable damage.

Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned, so:

Use with Drizzle Politoed.

Samurott @ Liechi Berry
Adamant
4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed

Swords Dance
Substitute
Aqua Jet
Return/Megahorn

Pick your choice of coverage move, Return is usually better for the perfect accuracy, but leaves you open to Nattorei. Megahorn is suicidal on Nattorei anyway though, since you'll just ko yourself from the Barbs. Anyway, you weaken stuff with your team, then you switch in on something you scare away (not too hard, thanks to its good typing and decent bulk). 70 Speed is by no means slow, so you can pull off a sweep, but the real kicker is the fact that you sub up on the switch, then either Swords Dance and sub down to Liechi range, or sub down to liechi then Salac. Either way, you end up with +3 Attack, Torrent, Rain Boosted STAB Aqua Jets and clean up really well.

Outclassed by Feraligatr though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)