San Jose 2011 VGC Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this starts about April 2011 when I first decided I would be in the VGCs. I didn't have much access to my DS... sheesh... moms. I really wanted to make a team focusing around Zoroark, and disguising it as a Cofagrigus. But horrible feedback made me scrap this team and i ended up going with basic trick room.My team ended up being Reunculus, Amoongus Conkeldurr and Chandelure with my backup being Jellicent and Druddigon. Skipping to Friday May 20th, for the special occasion, I dressed up in a suit and tie at school, so people would come up and ask why I was dressing up, so I could spread the word. After school I went to my friend's house(on smogon, his name is Kidkadabra) and we had an intense sleepover which involved him working on his team last minute. We planned to go to sleep at 8 and wake up at 5 because San Jose is about an hour drive from Oakland, and we wanted to be early. However we ended up going to sleep at 12:30 and we were all pretty cranky when 5 alarms went off at 5 A.M. Our friend came over at about 5:30 and we headed off! Kidkadabra still was only about 90% done with his team. I'm not going to tell you it though, sorry. When we got there, another friend of mine said, "Wow look how many people are here." I thought he was being sarcastic, because there was no one outside, but when I saw through the window I saw hundreds of people! We waited in line for about 2 hours and Kidkadabra was panicking because his last Pokemon still was not done yet.In the end he ended up using MY Zoroark because he couldn't finish training his Deino (he ended up accidentally turning his game off, losing all his work).
We entered, and we are all afraid of the fact that we could easily be eliminated. We went through the hack tests quickly and went down the runway. When we got there together, the ref asked if we wanted to battle each other, but we said NOOOOOO. Having one of us knocked out in the first round would be heartbreaking! So we went in and we were both assigned little kids that looked like they could be in the Juniors division. Even though they looked like they were 8 year old, we were still scared out of our minds.But we sat down near each other and got ready for our battles.

Round 1
I started by asking if this kid knew about Smogon, IVs, EVs etc. but he looked at me with a confused face, and that relieved me a little, but not enough. In the team preview I saw his team and created a perfect counterteam, i spent the maximum amount of time creating the team, only to see that he made his team in about 5 seconds. He lead with Excadrill and Beartic, I wondered what he possible could do, I expected the earthquake and the protect. I lead with Reunculus and Amoongus. My prediction was completely wrong, but i wasn't worried. He Sandstormed with Drill and frost breathed my Amoongus with Beartic doing less than half. After setting up trick room I just pretty much raped the rest of his team. I looked up at Bruno and called to him, his expression was positive and I knew there that he was about to 4-0 his opponent too. I raised my hand to call the ref on my victory and I raised it with triumph! Our friends who came to support saw my triumph and cheered loudly. I had the offensive momentum I desired.

Round 2
My next opponent was a girl who looked like she was barely 12 years old. Her name was Madeline C. I knew she was serious buisness when she led with a Shiny Whimsicott and something else I don't remember. She attempted to grasswhistle my amoongus but missed, and I went for the fast KO with Reunculus. She then sent out her Eelektross and I Psychiced her Whimsicott, but first her Whimsicott grasswhistled my Amoongus, and her Eelektross discharged to KO her own Whimsicott with a crit I think. My Reunculus and Amoongus were still goin strong, except for the fact that Amoongus was taking a nap. She then sent out Braviary. She U-Turned my Reunculus to KO it and Dragon Clawed my Amoongus for the crit. Kidkidabra distracted me with a comment I didn't remember. And I completely forgot I never set up trick room, as I sent out my Jellicent and Druddigon. Thinking I had trick room up i went for the Rock Slide and Water Spout but my Druddigon was first double targeted by Braviary's Brave Bird and Eelektross's Dragon Claw, KOing me. My Jellicent went for the Water Spout OHKOing Eelektross with a crit and bringing Braviary down to a sliver of health. I sat there for 3 minutes hoping I could take a brave bird. I went for the ice beam and he brave birded me and I tanked it with 38 health! I let out a screech of great proportion, and everyone in the convention center heard me! I looked over to Kidkidabra and he ended up winning his game as well.

Round 3
I was afraid. I looked across the table to see an Asian kid. I then asked if he EV trains, he said no and I was relieved. He then continued to say that he got this team from his friend, and his friend EV trains. My relief was gone. I looked at his team to see that it was identical to mine and I was glad then, because I knew exactly what to expect. We both lead with Amoongus and Reunculus. We made a friendly agreement that I would set up trick room, which I thought was weird to do. I don’t remember the battle exactly, I just remember it being really easy, and not worth talking about.

Finals Lounge
I was so glad that I was in the finals to qualify for nationals! My bones shivered! After going through a secondary hack check a guy was disqualified for having a level 50 Amoongus with Spore. Poor guy. The whole convention center was on us now. The announcer then told the crowd that there was 27 people in the finals so 5 people would be given Byes. Everyone I had met turned out to be great people, Unreality, Shadecloud and so much more, and we really hoped we wouldn’t face each other. The ref passed out the cards faced down and Kidkadabra got a bye! Then I realized…. WOW HE JUST GOT A BYE INTO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! With the bye he now qualified as the top 16.

Round 4 (Finals to qualify)

As I walked to the table, I looked for someone not so intimidating to be paired up with. I saw a little Asian kid who liked really nice and because I had been on fire against Asians today. I thought it’d be really easy. Big mistake. I was scared out of mind, but he remained calm. I asked if he had ever done this before and he said of course he had. Before the battles began everyone gathered and the main announcer got excited and said, “Well well ladies and gentleman it looks like we have the World Champion in the house!” Everyone applauded and cheered. Then the announcer said, “ Everyone let’s all give a round of applause for JEREMY FAN(AlphaOmega)!!” and then the guy across from me waved at his beloved fans. I shit my pants right there. As I put my head in my hands I knew defeat was imminent. Kidkadabra looked over to me and said, “ It’s ok dude you can beat him!”. The battle started and of course to my demise he completely counter led me. Followed by a horrible first turn prediction, the second turn he KOd both my Amoongus with his (CENSORED) and my Reunculus with his (CENSORED#2). I knew already it was over, and he raped me from there. Of course I had to play last years WORLD CHAMPION with a complete counter-lead of my team. I asked him after the battle if it really was a GG. He replied by saying, “ Do you want the truth, or lies?” I asked for the truth and he told me it was way too easy.
So that’s where my story ends, I prepared for a long time only to be pwned by a horrible start. I still had fun though, it was absolutely magnificent, and the people I met there are definitely going to be some great friends. I wish Shadecloud, Unreality, Kidkadabra and AlphaOmega good luck in the national championships! I may not have made it this year and looked like a complete fool in front of last years champion but it was my first VGC and I think I did pretty well. And seeing some of the Junior division kids was amazing, and they seem really good! I wish Shadecloud, Unreality, Kidkadabra and AlphaOmega good luck in the national championships, I know they’ll do well! Thanks for reading!

You mention a kid getting dq'd for having a lvl 50 Amoongus with Spore. Foongus learns it at 50 and then can evolve. It had to be some other reason than that.

Nice story otherwise.

This was a fun read, you have inspired me and I might write one of my own in regards to my day for the UK VGC event.

Great read haha but you paired up with Jeremy and that really sucks. It's times like that where we learn not to be too over confident in ourselves. It was my first VGC too and I lost to the 3rd Place Worlds Champion of 2009 haha all in all this was a fun story and I hope you had as much fun as I did for your first time going.

Wes

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Dude, I was at your table too. Anyways, it was fun hanging out with you guys, and it sucks that you didn't make nats. You should have gone against that one kid on our table who was trying to say that PokemonGTS was a legitimate community, lol.

Dude, I was at your table too. Anyways, it was fun hanging out with you guys, and it sucks that you didn't make nats. You should have gone against that one kid on our table who was trying to say that PokemonGTS was a legitimate community, lol.
wait who were you again? what did you look like and wear? and where were you from?

epic story man. your friends name switched from kidkadabra to bruno and back. still though, good job and too bad about being paired with jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)